Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Black Griffon posted:

Old school FPS revival, an insane number of variations on roguelikes and roguelites, a hundred games that have expanded on the complexity of their genre by adding elements from other genres (souls, rogues etc.) to their formula, a plethora of variations on open worlds that you can call samey, sure but are still easily differentiated, ASCII revival, a new generation of retro side scrollers, the entire battle royale phenomenon and variations on the formula with stuff like the PVE elements in black ops, an increased interest in visual novels, the continued growth of the walking sim phenomenon, more ingenious and brilliant puzzlers and mystery games like Baba, Obra Din, The Witness etc., even more old school FPS games, dorf-likes (rimorld, ONI, etc.) popularization and mainstreaming of weird simulators like farming sim and the like, old school RPG revival (and when I say revival, in all cases, I also mean that they improve and expand on the genre), my bus ride over soon and I wanna read Twitter so I'll stop now, but... Anyway.

:perfect: I would add various games crafted to evoke a particular mood in the player; Rakuen; What Remains of Edith Finch; That Demon, Cancer; Night In The Woods. All of those have gameplay mechanics, art, and music, like any other game, but also are trying to make the player examine feelings and situations.

e: to fix meaningless snipe

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
you can't even remember the drat name of your counter example, which is also not a videogame

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

the argument is old as dirt, every gen is the worst one

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

idgi, got any examples of trends and conventions lost to reddit-migration and indistinguishability, or examples of the holdouts you mentioned?

It's all one example. The outdoor, open-world, finely blended action-rpg-shooter omnigame has been so dominant for so long that it's all anyone thinks about when you say "videogame" and they're all indistinguishable. Red Dead, Prototype, Assassin's Creed, Infamous, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Spider Man, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Just Cause, Skyrim, Fallout, The Witcher, Middle Earth, Dead Island, Days Gone, Dying Light, Mafia, Crackdown, and about a thousand others that aren't worth mentioning. Notice how often resentment swirls around established franchises that melt themselves into this template? MGSV, Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy, etc. Probably Fallout is the textbook example, here.

Black Griffon posted:

Old school FPS revival, an insane number of variations on roguelikes and roguelites, a hundred games that have expanded on the complexity of their genre by adding elements from other genres (souls, rogues etc.) to their formula, a plethora of variations on open worlds that you can call samey, sure but are still easily differentiated, ASCII revival, a new generation of retro side scrollers, the entire battle royale phenomenon and variations on the formula with stuff like the PVE elements in black ops, an increased interest in visual novels, the continued growth of the walking sim phenomenon, more ingenious and brilliant puzzlers and mystery games like Baba, Obra Din, The Witness etc., even more old school FPS games, dorf-likes (rimorld, ONI, etc.) popularization and mainstreaming of weird simulators like farming sim and the like, old school RPG revival (and when I say revival, in all cases, I also mean that they improve and expand on the genre), my bus ride over soon and I wanna read Twitter so I'll stop now, but... Anyway.

"FPS revival" is not even close to counting against my point here, nor do the billion identical indie trashfires dubbed "roguelite" (a genre which is entirely defined by its hybridization), which again, is that practically the whole medium has converged on a handful of specific trends and conventions.

Endorph posted:

this is only true if you only play games that get mentioned on mainstream gaming news sites

same with music actually

in terms of the AAA space things *have* gotten less diverse but the AAA space arent the only games that exist, and even then the bigger culprit for this is that games cost more to make now, not some kind of cultural shift.

But that's exactly my point! Music nerds say all the same poo poo, because they have the same set of complaints, which have nothing at all do to with a pathological contempt for women-as-women, and everything to do with wanting their own space. The contempt is for imposters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:perfect: I would add various games crafted to evoke a particular mood in the player; Rakuen; What Remains of Edith Finch; That Demon, Cancer; Night In The Woods. All of those have gameplay mechanics, art, and music, like any other game, but also are trying to make the player examine feelings and situations.

e: to fix meaningless snipe

A lot of proto-gamergate types latched onto Gone Home as "not a real game" due to its subject matter and critical acclaim. Even before the boogeywomen of Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn there were a lot of dudes out there feeling mad wounded about that kind of game receiving mainstream recognition.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Woozy posted:

you can't even remember the drat name of your counter example, which is also not a videogame

I'm sorry, sir, I believe you have mistaken this for the "Grognards Wail At Uncomprehending Cosmos" thread.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Woozy posted:

The contempt is for imposters.
What is this garbage and what does it have to do with anything?? How are imposters to blame for fuckin prototype and breath of the wild?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
woozy’s unique #brand of psychopathic circumlocution is exactly the spicy content this thread needed

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Woozy posted:

It's all one example. The outdoor, open-world, finely blended action-rpg-shooter omnigame has been so dominant for so long that it's all anyone thinks about when you say "videogame" and they're all indistinguishable. Red Dead, Prototype, Assassin's Creed, Infamous, Watch Dogs, Horizon, Spider Man, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Just Cause, Skyrim, Fallout, The Witcher, Middle Earth, Dead Island, Days Gone, Dying Light, Mafia, Crackdown, and about a thousand others that aren't worth mentioning. Notice how often resentment swirls around established franchises that melt themselves into this template? MGSV, Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy, etc. Probably Fallout is the textbook example, here.

"FPS revival" is not even close to counting against my point here, nor do the billion identical indie trashfires dubbed "roguelite" (a genre which is entirely defined by its hybridization), which again, is that practically the whole medium has converged on a handful of specific trends and conventions.

But that's exactly my point! Music nerds say all the same poo poo, because they have the same set of complaints, which have nothing at all do to with a pathological contempt for women-as-women, and everything to do with wanting their own space. The contempt is for imposters.

lol

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Prokhor posted:

What is this garbage and what does it have to do with anything?? How are imposters to blame for fuckin prototype and breath of the wild?

They aren't to blame at all and I never said they were, it's just the one thing the dumbshits posting here decided to latch onto in extremely typical goon fashion because it providing the best jumping off point for utter pedantry

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Woozy posted:

utter pedantry

uh huh

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Woozy posted:

They aren't to blame at all and I never said they were, it's just the one thing the dumbshits posting here decided to latch onto in extremely typical goon fashion because it providing the best jumping off point for utter pedantry

Where's that gif of the ever expanding ironicat.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Not sure that a guy who said someone else's argument was completely invalidated because they said Demon instead of Dragon gets to complain about utter pedantry.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My dude I think you might be totally bananas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Woozy posted:

Um.

What?

Even ignoring the obvious thing wrong with that...

You listed some games released over the past few decades and managed to avoid many of the actual most popular games.

Minecraft, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege, Smash Bros, Roblox, Overwatch, Rocket League, League of Legends, most of what Nintendo puts out, etc. Those are among the most popular games out there. We're not getting into the niche stuff.

Your argument boils down to "one style of game is popular." As opposed to when 90% of games were 2D platformers? Sonic and Mario have more similarities than Fallout and Spider-Man

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Woozy posted:

The contempt is for imposters.

Would you say they're fake, possibly fake geek girls?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

May I just say that despite the rough start, this is a very nice, wholesome and entertaining (and educational!) thread, and I appreciate that you started it, Arsenic Lupin. I feel a sense of community when we all dunk together.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of proto-gamergate types latched onto Gone Home as "not a real game" due to its subject matter and critical acclaim. Even before the boogeywomen of Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn there were a lot of dudes out there feeling mad wounded about that kind of game receiving mainstream recognition.

Even the name of the genre (walking simulator) has some contempt dripping from it. A focus on story with no combat and maybe a minor puzzle or two at most seems like heresy to them. Although I get the impression that these types don't have the same contempt for visual novels for some reason...

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Um.

What?

Even ignoring the obvious thing wrong with that...

Okay ordinarily someone arguing in good faith emphasizes the obvious wrong things instead of failing to mention them entirely

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ponzicar posted:

Even the name of the genre (walking simulator) has some contempt dripping from it. A focus on story with no combat and maybe a minor puzzle or two at most seems like heresy to them. Although I get the impression that these types don't have the same contempt for visual novels for some reason...

The heresy is a game without stakes, rules, or objectives, which is what a game is

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

ponzicar posted:

I'd say the term is primarily contemptuous, since simulating walking is hardly what games in the genre are about.

Sometimes I wonder if it might be time to dust off the term "interactive movie" as a descriptor, since they're games that are more about delivering an experience than about gameplay, but still offer a level of interactivity for immersion's purposes.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Are you thinking of a movie?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Woozy posted:

The heresy is a game without stakes, rules, or objectives, which is what a game is

Fortunately Gone Home has all those things, so it's a true video game by your definition.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I know this thread wasn't meant to be a honeypot, but I'm kind of loving how effective it is at being one

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I know this thread wasn't meant to be a honeypot, but I'm kind of loving how effective it is at being one

I confess, I love anime titty games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Woozy posted:

Okay ordinarily someone arguing in good faith emphasizes the obvious wrong things instead of failing to mention them entirely

Fine.

The obvious thing wrong with that is that you listed a small handful of AAA titles released over the course of literally over a decade and tried to act like they represented the whole of gaming. We're not even talking about like a Marvel "the top five best selling games of all time are all in one genre" because that also isn't the case.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Patrick Klepek did a rundown of most of the recent publicly-known harassment/abuse scandals.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think the idea of some sad nerd still being mad about Gone Home in TYOOL 2019 is giving me a headache. At least hit up 4chan for your latest memorandum on who's ruining video games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The actual wrong thing is that none of this garbage nonsense has anything to do with gamergate the same way it has nothing to do with "ethics in games journalism," it's just another smokescreen to try and couch bigotry in more relatable terms. Oh they don't really just hate women and minorities, they're just experiencing economic anxiety, I mean they just want their own space.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Woozy posted:

cool okay you're really into obscure games that go in deep on their mechanics and wish the game space had more experimentation, im down with that, so whats your favorite boss in touhou mystic chain

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This right here

quote:

In a 2017 PCGamesN story, Kennedy described how he became attracted to and entered an intimate relationship with another partner after working as her supervisor at Failbetter. The feature is meant to highlight the way they balance their professional and romantic partnership as co-founders of development studio The Weather Factory, but it also showed Kennedy's apparent willingness to enter into romantic relationships with his subordinates.

Is giving me loving nightmares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also gotta say im really loving 'hardcore music nerds are a good example, because THEY obviously have no issues with women!'

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Orv posted:

I think the idea of some sad nerd still being mad about Gone Home in TYOOL 2019 is giving me a headache. At least hit up 4chan for your latest memorandum on who's ruining video games.

Take it up with the people who actually brought up the subject in the first place

ImpAtom posted:

Fine.

The obvious thing wrong with that is that you listed a small handful of AAA titles released over the course of literally over a decade and tried to act like they represented the whole of gaming. We're not even talking about like a Marvel "the top five best selling games of all time are all in one genre" because that also isn't the case.

A small handful? That list was a) off the top of my head, b) bigger than your list, c) the tip of the iceberg, and d) encompasses well over 50 titles. Why aren't you giving this much poo poo to the guy who thought a years worth of indie fadgames constituted a brave new frontier in the medium?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Endorph posted:

also gotta say im really loving 'hardcore music nerds are a good example, because THEY obviously have no issues with women!'

What they don't have an issue with is daily bitching about their issues with women

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Woozy posted:

Take it up with the people who actually brought up the subject in the first place

A small handful? That list was a) off the top of my head, b) bigger than your list, c) the tip of the iceberg, and d) encompasses well over 50 titles. Why aren't you giving this much poo poo to the guy who thought a years worth of indie fadgames constituted a brave new frontier in the medium?

lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Woozy posted:

Because they could easily keep going and list a ton of games beyond the past year while your list has a much more finite end

i didn't know Jonathan Blow posted here

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The person who is correct is, obviously, the person who can name the most games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ariong posted:

The person who is correct is, obviously, the person who can name the most games.

Unless he makes a typo, then his argument might as well not exist

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Woozy posted:

lmao i posted my question just so i could point out you not responding to it or responding in bad faith, but this is way better

thank you for being entertainingly, embarrassingly stupid in addition to being a completely unrepentant dick :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unless he makes a typo, then his argument might as well not exist

Or worse, is pedantic.