Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is deadly prem really just twin peaks the game? interested in trying it now, i have the directors cut on steam but never bothered with it, but im thinking about getting the switch version but now i hear theres less stuff in it? should i just get the original 360/ps3 version? tell me what to do, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its Twin Peaks mixed with Shenmue, it owns. The Director's Cut adds an unnecessary framing device that amounts to like a minute of new cutscenes and incorporates the DLC outfits into the base game. It really is not essential and considering the technical issues of the DC I'd just wait for the Switch version to get a patch for its audio issues and just play that. No, there is no non janky version of the game.

e: the Director's Cut also makes the shoehorned combat sections incredibly easy since everyone hated them.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 5, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mantis42 posted:

Its Twin Peaks mixed with Shenmue, it owns. The Director's Cut adds an unnecessary framing device that amounts to like a minute of new cutscenes and incorporates the DLC outfits into the base game. It really is not essential and considering the technical issues of the DC I'd just wait for the Switch version to get a patch for its audio issues and just play that. No, there is no non janky version of the game.

e: the Director's Cut also makes the shoehorned combat sections incredibly easy since everyone hated them.

Mantis42 posted:

Its Twin Peaks mixed with Shenmue, it owns.

Mantis42 posted:

Twin Peaks Shenmue

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: that settles that then, better be patched before i get paid.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It 100% is making direct Twin Peaks references in every scene, but it also diverges enough that it's not predictable.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Wait for a patch. Play it on easy mode.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite games and I recommend you follow the advice of the poster above me.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
It even has a picture of the waterfall from the opening credits above his bed

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Alan Wake is also pretty essential playing if you're a TP fan. It also has the benefit compared to DP of being an actual good game.

tons of references but the (near) 1-1 model of the police station is probably the most direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOMLDw_RHY0&t=238s

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 6, 2019

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

zelah posted:

It even has a picture of the waterfall from the opening credits above his bed

Even the tagline at the end of this teaser trailer is: "It's happening again".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QZc3Jzr7w

The Walrus posted:

Alan Wake is also pretty essential playing if you're a TP fan. It also has the benefit compared to DP of being an actual good game.

tons of references but the 1-1 model of the police station is probably the most direct

Yeah, Twin Peaks is pretty influential. The last game I played that was heavily inspired by Twin Peaks came out a few months ago, even. It's called Trüberbrook. There are quips about coffee and pie in the tutorial section and the protagonist records random thoughts into his dictaphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWb7tHn23L4

The game is okay.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can find Laura Palmer's picture in Anna Graham's room, too.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

And More posted:

Even the tagline at the end of this teaser trailer is: "It's happening again".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6QZc3Jzr7w

Yeah, Twin Peaks is pretty influential. The last game I played that was heavily inspired by Twin Peaks came out a few months ago, even. It's called Trüberbrook. There are quips about coffee and pie in the tutorial section and the protagonist records random thoughts into his dictaphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWb7tHn23L4

The game is okay.

Oh poo poo, I didnt know that. There are some actors I like doing the VO in German.
And yes, seconding Alan Wake. There is a scene in it that is AMAZING and parts of it are actually scary. I never played the DLC, though and I don't think it ever got a proper ending.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: that settles that then, better be patched before i get paid.

If you're sold on the Shenmue part, important advice: don't rush the main story objectives, or else you'll beat the game in less than 10 hours and end up playing mostly the lovely RE4 clone instead of the PNW Shenmue part.

The 360 version is the best but any will do, grab the cheapest. Only the 360 has difficulty select, play on easy if you get that one.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Puzzle Agent is a fun little Professor Layton clone heavily inspired by Twin Peaks.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AstroWhale posted:

Oh poo poo, I didnt know that. There are some actors I like doing the VO in German.
And yes, seconding Alan Wake. There is a scene in it that is AMAZING and parts of it are actually scary. I never played the DLC, though and I don't think it ever got a proper ending.

Actually, the English version has largely the same voice actors. It's kinda cool. The game is also very nice to look at, so get it on PC if possible. I felt it didn't quite come together in the end, but it's still interesting. You can tell they wanted to make something unique.

Storm One posted:

The 360 version is the best but any will do, grab the cheapest. Only the 360 has difficulty select, play on easy if you get that one.

Do not buy the PC version of DP. It is broken.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 6, 2019

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I thought Alan Wake was really corny and only superficially similar to twin peaks

Deadly Premonition is really good though

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

By the way, there has also been a bit of hubbub about this Twin Peaks-inspired PS1 game called Mizzurna Falls and the people who worked on its English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--dll3I75s&t=105s

Sadly, the translation patch was abandoned, but someone else is now working on it. So, there's still hope that we'll get to play it some day. You can read up on the initial translation attempt and a recent development, if you're interested.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 6, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Live Free posted:

I thought Alan Wake was really corny and only superficially similar to twin peaks

Deadly Premonition is really good though

I really enjoy Alan Wake, but for me it is very much,"Imagine if Twin Peaks was written by Stephen King" which gives it a peculiar charm of its own.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
my only note on episode 2 is that I hate he sound of Harry swallowing the donut

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

hughesta posted:

my only note on episode 2 is that I hate he sound of Harry swallowing the donut

It really makes you feel it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

Puzzle Agent is a fun little Professor Layton clone heavily inspired by Twin Peaks.

It's more Fargo than anything, but it's good too.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

It's more Fargo than anything, but it's good too.

It's definitely both, but a little more Twin Peaks imo.

Anyways yes, Puzzle Agent 1 is excellent. PA2 is fine to play to see where the plot goes from there but unfortunately its puzzles are much worse.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

And More posted:

By the way, there has also been a bit of hubbub about this Twin Peaks-inspired PS1 game called Mizzurna Falls and the people who worked on its English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--dll3I75s&t=105s

Sadly, the translation patch was abandoned, but someone else is now working on it. So, there's still hope that we'll get to play it some day. You can read up on the initial translation attempt and a recent development, if you're interested.

damnit, i was waiting for this as well. loving online bullshit.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Vikar Jerome posted:

damnit, i was waiting for this as well. loving online bullshit.

But it says that in the end the original programmer of the patch is working with another programmer to actually complete the thing, instead of just releasing it buggy and crash-y.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I originally started playing DP under the impression it was a "so bad it's good" type game but then it was actually so good it's good

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQphXSbBgec

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"One day the sadness will end." Thank you, Margaret. :unsmith:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

my ducts! :qq:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The opening dinner scene is a series favorite of mine. The arrival of Jerry ending what might be the last family meal the Hornes ever eat.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

can confirm baguettes with brie and butter are heavenly

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

That Nadine scene is never not funny.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

somehow I got turned around and ended up missing a week and just realized I'm on episode 2 instead of 3? We are on 3 right? I mean I'll just watch 2 and then 3 but drat something about the pilot/numberings screws me up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Am I wrong or is it really creepy that the Horne brothers are competing to gently caress the same girl?

Peacoffee posted:

somehow I got turned around and ended up missing a week and just realized I'm on episode 2 instead of 3? We are on 3 right? I mean I'll just watch 2 and then 3 but drat something about the pilot/numberings screws me up.
Yeah, tonight's episode 3, or as it's listed on the Blu-Ray, episode 2 :shepface:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Who is that dressed all in black with a hood on with Leo?

LEO NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Albert :neckbeard:

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

Am I wrong or is it really creepy that the Horne brothers are competing to gently caress the same girl?

Yeah, tonight's episode 3, or as it's listed on the Blu-Ray, episode 2 :shepface:

gotcha.

and yeah...I hate that I think of it every drat time but the implication of why it's better to go first always makes me gag with those two.

and the outfits those girls are wearing make me think of costumes in a Pynchon novel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yesssssssssssss, the Tibetan rock throwing scene.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Lore dump :siren:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ladies and gentlemen: Audrey's dance!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

lol at Harry's bumpkin rear end jabs at Albert. It doesn't really prove his point well.

that scene with Pete and the mink oil really makes it seem clear that he at least thinks she put the fish in the percolator.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first appearance of the lodge!

Mike and Bob lived above the convenience store

e: Oh poo poo, Cooper in old age makeup

Man From Another Place says lodge Laura is his cousin. Doppelganger Laura?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 8, 2019