Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Captainicus posted:

Wow, I'm surprised a lot of people liked White March so much. When I tried it about level 8 or so and got into the big dungeon area there were these enemies called 'battery phantom' or something of that nature. They'd have a big aoe cone paralyze that would graze for a 7 second stun or hit for a long rear end time, and came in multiples. They had strong defenses in every stat except HP, but I'd never be able to land any real hits on them. I tried hiding around doorways and luring them out but there are also enemies that can swap positions with you and sometimes pull your guys too close to another group of enemies (and wake them all up). I got annoyed enough to stop and just move on to pillars 2 instead, and now I'll never go back because I really dislike RTWP magic-based rocket tag.

What you want to do is bring a Priest for Devotions of the Faithful (level 4 Priest spell). In Poe1 it's wildly overpowered and gives +20(!) accuracy and huge might bonuses and penalties to enemies.

You also want to bring Aloth or a Wizard along and use Ninagauth's Grimoire (you can find this in WM before going into Durgan's Battery) and use Ninagauth's Shadowflame which is an instant cast fireball that paralyzes enemies. Like 99% of tough encounters in Poe1 can be solved by casting devotions and then having Aloth toss out a Ninagauth's into a group of enemies. A few levels later you can abuse other tricks like the level 9 chant Dragon Thrashed which is stupidly OP or the Druids level 5 spell Returning Storm which is also stupidly OP. You also want to make sure to use your Priest to remove disabling effects with suppress affliction and so on.

Poe1 is actually way more unbalanced than Poe2 in that you can break the games difficulty curve very easily by applying the right tricks. Maybe I just don't know the right tricks in Poe2 but with the penetration system and the nerfing of disabling effects it feels a lot harder to achieve the same level of overpoweredness in the second game.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Which is supposed to be harder—Brynlod or Llengrath?

Because both of them are kicking my max-level rear end (I understand that that’s the point)

(Also I’m very bad at this game)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Wow, I'm surprised a lot of people liked White March so much. When I tried it about level 8 or so and got into the big dungeon area there were these enemies called 'battery phantom' or something of that nature. They'd have a big aoe cone paralyze that would graze for a 7 second stun or hit for a long rear end time, and came in multiples. They had strong defenses in every stat except HP, but I'd never be able to land any real hits on them. I tried hiding around doorways and luring them out but there are also enemies that can swap positions with you and sometimes pull your guys too close to another group of enemies (and wake them all up). I got annoyed enough to stop and just move on to pillars 2 instead, and now I'll never go back because I really dislike RTWP magic-based rocket tag.

Ya going off steam reviews(ya i know) the first part seemed meh at best and 2nd seems like good. I will get it out though since everyone here is saying it is so good, does the expension ever go on sale?

Meatgrinder posted:

Hardest mob in game is the first bear in the first cave. I would take characters there in order to figure out survivability, combat strategies and abilities. I think only a ranger made it out once on like, his third try.

I think for me it was that Lord you kill in Twin Elms who wants you to murder a baby, I forgot his name but he had a passive that kept healing him. I had to hide my entire party behind a table and aoe everyone else. I managed to survive just with Eder who managed to wittle him down after like a legit 4-5 minute duel.

Also the Temple of Eothas quest I just did with Aloth in my party because I had missed Eder for the longest time and that was loving impossible, the shades can just teleport and one shot your mage. I managed to get to the final room with just 2 people but then I got stuck until I found Eder and Durance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sheen Sheen posted:

Because both of them are kicking my max-level rear end (I understand that that’s the point)

Hmm. Probably Llengrath but Bynlod is the hardest bounty fight in the game.

I don't know what your party is but if you have a Priest try buffing your party up with Devotions of the Faithful and Crowns for the Faithful. That should give you huge accuracy bonuses to land your spells/attacks on the enemies. Also for the Llengrath fight mouse over the resistances of the Dragons. If I'm not mistaken they each have at least on vulnerability like one can be charmed and the other is vulnerable to paralyze or petrify. If you can land those status effects on them you can have an easier time.

My opening for tough fights like that is usually to keep my party huddled around my Priest while I quickly cast Devotions and Crowns on my party members. Once they're buffed up, I then send them in and start using my other casters to land crippling disabling spells. Your strategy in any tough fight should usually be buff-->debuff--->kill. Use your Priest to cast Devotions and Crowns, your Druid to cast spells like Form of the Delemgan, and your Wizard to cast self buffs so that he doesn't keel over. Other characters should be drinking potions or using scrolls if they can to provide other buffs. If you need to buy yourself some time to get those buffs up, you can also have your other non casters summon some monsters via figurines and stuff like that in order to keep the enemy busy while you buff. Once you're buffed up a little, you should be both very durable and able to start landing those crippling status effects on enemies.

What type of crippling spells to land? I mentioned some above but for Wizards my favorites are Ninagauth's Shadowflame (spamming this can win almost any fight), Wall of Many Colors, Call to Slumber, and Gaze of the Adragan. For Druids, Relentless Storm, Plague of Insects, and Venom Bloom. Once enemies are injured a bit, throw an Infestation of Maggots for good measure (does more damage the more hurt they are). For Ciphers, Amplified Wave and Mental Binding as well as the charm abilities. For Chanters, just have the Chanter constantly chanting Dragon Thrashed, Dragon Wailed. If you get enough points to do an invocation, toss out the paralyze one or the charm one.

My melee characters I hold in reserve until I'm buffed and/or the enemies are disabled and then I send them into the fray.

Hope that helps.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 5, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ulio posted:

Ya going off steam reviews(ya i know) the first part seemed meh at best and 2nd seems like good. I will get it out though since everyone here is saying it is so good, does the expension ever go on sale?

I think for me it was that Lord you kill in Twin Elms who wants you to murder a baby, I forgot his name but he had a passive that kept healing him. I had to hide my entire party behind a table and aoe everyone else. I managed to survive just with Eder who managed to wittle him down after like a legit 4-5 minute duel.

Also the Temple of Eothas quest I just did with Aloth in my party because I had missed Eder for the longest time and that was loving impossible, the shades can just teleport and one shot your mage. I managed to get to the final room with just 2 people but then I got stuck until I found Eder and Durance.

holy poo poo it never occurred to me to do the temple with durance in the party

thats gotta peak shittalking

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Hey, thanks for this, I was able to beat Llengrath on the second try with all this info :)

All the buffs helped immensely and allowed me to send Eder and Maneha around the back to tank the dragons while forcing them to face away from everyone else so they didn’t wreck my entire party with their breath attacks—Llengrath herself actually died almost immediately and was barely a factor in the fight at all because everyone else focused fire on her

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

What you want to do is bring a Priest for Devotions of the Faithful (level 4 Priest spell). In Poe1 it's wildly overpowered and gives +20(!) accuracy and huge might bonuses and penalties to enemies.

Yeah, that'd probably have been really helpful if I knew about it but I'd benched Durance at that point :v:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Sheen Sheen posted:

This is a rare occurrence in an RPG when you want a peaceful resolution cause fighting them might be too much.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sheen Sheen posted:

Hey, thanks for this, I was able to beat Llengrath on the second try with all this info :)

All the buffs helped immensely and allowed me to send Eder and Maneha around the back to tank the dragons while forcing them to face away from everyone else so they didn’t wreck my entire party with their breath attacks—Llengrath herself actually died almost immediately and was barely a factor in the fight at all because everyone else focused fire on her

Nice! Yeah Priests are immensely overpowered in Poe1. Really all casters are, but especially Priests. A Priest casting Devotions and Crowns can singlehandedly turn the party into a wrecking machine. They have plenty of other buffs worth casting too (Dire Blessing for one) but those two are the best because once your party is buffed with them you will be able to land most of your nasty spells/attacks on even enemies with high defenses. Priests are also handy for being able to make the party immune to just about any negative status effect.

Captainicus posted:

Yeah, that'd probably have been really helpful if I knew about it but I'd benched Durance at that point :v:

Yeah I feel you. A lot of people don't realize how good Priests are because they hate Durance and keep him benched. You can always create a henchman Priest if you hate Durance that much. The Priest is a great class for a PC in Poe1 too actually because PC Priests get nice bonuses to their Holy Radiance if they keep in line with the reputations their God demands. A PC Priest will have a substantially stronger Holy Radiance than Durance.

I've probably beaten Poe1 too many times :v:.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I find Durance to be kind of irritating but he’s never left my party, because without him healing everyone constantly I probably wouldn’t have made it this far in the game (did I mention that I’m bad at this game? :v: )

Grieving Mother, on the other hand...I dropped her off at Caed Nua and pretty much forgot about her soon after she joined my party—it wasn’t until almost the end of the game that I figured out how OP she is. She helped make pretty short work of the dragons in the Llengrath fight

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A PC or hired Adventurer Priest with a high Dexterity in PoE1 is a complete house. Just completely dominant. Durance's one weakness as a priest is his slow action speed, getting out 2-3 huge buffs 50% faster with a PC or Adventurer Priest is nearly unstoppable.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

ilitarist posted:

This is a rare occurrence in an RPG when you want a peaceful resolution cause fighting them might be too much.

Ha, rare? I find myself doing it a lot in the PoE2 DLCs. Took me hours to beat the dragon in BoW, then 10 minutes later I come across Rymergand and it took me two seconds to decide, yes, I will gladly give my eternal soul to you in order to not have to fight another boss right now.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Eggnogium posted:

Ha, rare? I find myself doing it a lot in the PoE2 DLCs. Took me hours to beat the dragon in BoW, then 10 minutes later I come across Rymergand and it took me two seconds to decide, yes, I will gladly give my eternal soul to you in order to not have to fight another boss right now.

I think I cut a deal with almost every dragon in PoE 1 rather than fighting them :v: and if the wiki I read is to be believed apparently if you cut a deal with Llengrath, you get all the benefits you would have gotten from fighting her, and more stuff too?? Lol why the hell did I put myself through that in the first place???

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sheen Sheen posted:

I think I cut a deal with almost every dragon in PoE 1 rather than fighting them :v: and if the wiki I read is to be believed apparently if you cut a deal with Llengrath, you get all the benefits you would have gotten from fighting her, and more stuff too?? Lol why the hell did I put myself through that in the first place???

Not all the benefits. You get some bonuses to a few stats I think but you don't get access to her grimoire which has some unique spells. I think the Bog Dragon scales can also be used for crafting.

Of course by the time you beat Llengrath you probably don't care about her unique spells that much since you will have beaten most of the rest of the games content anyways.

Also there is something satisfying about humbling all of the Arch Mages you meet since they all talk a lot of trash to you and think they can easily best you. That said in my most recent run I'm playing a more Diplomatic character so I did make peace with her.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Eggnogium posted:

In most story RPGs you can only talk out of battles devs don't care about. Open world ones like Fallout or Elder Scrolls are another wto6ry cause in those you can often evade fights you don't want. In PoE2 I knew not to talk poo poo to gods and dragons cause the game tells you early it's not afraid to punish you. But it's rare for RPGs in general.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

ilitarist posted:

In most story RPGs you can only talk out of battles devs don't care about. Open world ones like Fallout or Elder Scrolls are another wto6ry cause in those you can often evade fights you don't want. In PoE2 I knew not to talk poo poo to gods and dragons cause the game tells you early it's not afraid to punish you. But it's rare for RPGs in general.

I think my two favorite fights in the whole game are when you insist on attacking Rymrgand in his temple and Eothas at the end.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

On a somewhat related note: when Rymgard had threatened me in BoW I asked whether he'll accept any of my companions, specifically Ydwin. He said yeah, sure. I said wait no I don't think so.

Later I asked Ydwin what does she think about the whole adventure. She answered that the moment when I was thinking about giving her to the god of decay was especially memorable and didn't want to talk to me afterwards.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
If you ignore Aloth at every opportunity to join up, the next time you see him is as a rug on the floor of the Wakahari throne room, and no one wants to explain what happened to him.

If you court Maia and read Ishi's soul, you get a very interesting conversation with Hylea.

In the Archives, there is a book with Waidwen/Eothas slash fiction.

I love this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

If you ignore Aloth at every opportunity to join up, the next time you see him is as a rug on the floor of the Wakahari throne room, and no one wants to explain what happened to him.

What. That's amazing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do i attack with my offhand weapon if im dual wielding ranged/melee in turnbased mode?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

How do i attack with my offhand weapon if im dual wielding ranged/melee in turnbased mode?

I think it depends on what range you are at. If you're in melee range, you will attack with your melee weapon. If in ranged, you'll attack with your ranged. I don't think you can do both in the same round.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Attacking outnof melee range just makes my guy walk into range and hit him with my sword, this is with my melee weapon in my main hand

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I think you need to be out of movement range as well as melee weapon range. I gave up on keeping a ranged offhand pretty quickly, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Only tangentially related, but Rope Kid mentioned that the game he's working on right now is non-violent in a recent talk.

Btw, the talk is pretty relevant to Deadfire, given that it covers the sort of pros and cons of being able to kill every single NPC in the game:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477562527?t=36m30s

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Was it Rope Kid who previously mentioned wanting to make an RPG set in school?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Think that was one of a dozen ideas or so Avellone mentioned in interviews.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

And so the masters have invented JRPGs.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

What if instead of doing personal sidequests you perform a series of events with the characters that increased your friendship levels, making them better in combat as well.

Some kind of social skillchain or something.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Only tangentially related, but Rope Kid mentioned that the game he's working on right now is non-violent in a recent talk.

Btw, the talk is pretty relevant to Deadfire, given that it covers the sort of pros and cons of being able to kill every single NPC in the game:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/477562527?t=36m30s

Lol he talks about the Two-Eyed Pim/One-Eyed Pim thing around 55:00.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Scorchy posted:

Lol he talks about the Two-Eyed Pim/One-Eyed Pim thing around 55:00.

At last, the final mystery is solved

I could have sworn I tried to do this once and it didn't work- iirc if you force-attack Furrante Pim just runs off instead of fighting, so I guess you need to start by gibbing him? Maybe I just didn't play that save long enough for One-Eyed Pim to make an appearance after that. This works sort of like how I expected, aside from how it's a completely different guy instead of Two-Eyed Pim Minus One Eye

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Enjoying my Stalker/Nalpazca so far. Using consumables is something I'm normally lazy/forgetful about, so it's cool to explore a class that benefits so much from drugs. The only downside is when I forget I've had a drug crash and wipe because I can't get any healing after a drug crash :v:.

It's kinda funny running around as a drugged up Orlan with a huge bear pet though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

I find Durance to be kind of irritating but he’s never left my party, because without him healing everyone constantly I probably wouldn’t have made it this far in the game (did I mention that I’m bad at this game? :v: )

Grieving Mother, on the other hand...I dropped her off at Caed Nua and pretty much forgot about her soon after she joined my party—it wasn’t until almost the end of the game that I figured out how OP she is. She helped make pretty short work of the dragons in the Llengrath fight

Ya this exact thing happened to me. I almost always used Durance and never used Grieving Mother because I could never figure who to replace her with in my line up.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I got rid of both pirate leaders and was jazzed I was finally going to get two eyed pim. Unfortunately the pirates were the strongest faction, so I killed him at ukazio. Boo. I was at +5 for RDC and only +4 for pirates but they still were the strongest faction? That was weird.

Now I'm playing again for my first turn based run and it completely rules. I finally understand what powers do what; I could not make much sense of the real time log. One turn based question: is there a way to delay turns or change turn order beyond recovery speed? Sometimes I want my casters to hold off until after my front line moves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

I got rid of both pirate leaders and was jazzed I was finally going to get two eyed pim. Unfortunately the pirates were the strongest faction, so I killed him at ukazio. Boo. I was at +5 for RDC and only +4 for pirates but they still were the strongest faction? That was weird.

Now I'm playing again for my first turn based run and it completely rules. I finally understand what powers do what; I could not make much sense of the real time log. One turn based question: is there a way to delay turns or change turn order beyond recovery speed? Sometimes I want my casters to hold off until after my front line moves.

There's a delay turn button which will put your character near the bottom of the turn order. It can be good to do that if for example you want your melee characters to get the effects of a buff before they take their turn.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Huh. Well that's perfect. Thank you!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m sure there’s a good reason it can only be done if a character has neither taken an action nor moved, but I can’t think of one

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m sure there’s a good reason it can only be done if a character has neither taken an action nor moved, but I can’t think of one

It's mainly to simplify mechanics involving turns as discrete periods of time. If you have a defensive spell that lasts 1 turn, you could potentially cheat it under a split-turn system by using your standard action and then delaying your movement until the end of the turn, allowing you to continue to receive its benefit throughout the round.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ginette Reno posted:

It's kinda funny running around as a drugged up Orlan with a huge bear pet though.

I play these games to role play, not just live every day life

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you could move and then delay your turn then you'd be essentially taking two turns in the same round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I play these games to role play, not just live every day life

I do feel pretty goony with the muttonchop Orlan portrait too