Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Song of Freedom is a 12th level ability. The two dwarf bards whose names I forgot are pretty darn powerful in their own right.

Elan got to it a chapter ago while loading up on some obscure prestige class too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Song of Freedom is a 12th level ability. The two dwarf bards whose names I forgot are pretty darn powerful in their own right.

Yeah but there's two of them singing that so it's more likely they're level six

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

goblin week posted:

Yeah but there's two of them singing that so it's more likely they're level six

No? That's not how it works?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ikanreed posted:

No? That's not how it works?

It should be. You should be able to strap 20 level 1 Wizards together into a weapon of mass destruction.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'll admit I'm a poo poo dm who forgets half the rules and makes poo poo up on the fly (but my players don't seem to mind) but I think only one needs the skill and the other can just be doing whatever that thing is where you add a small bonus to help

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

oobey posted:

It should be. You should be able to strap 20 level 1 Wizards together into a weapon of mass destruction.

This has nothing on the peasant railgun.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This has nothing on the peasant railgun.

i'm gonna need details on this one.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Llab posted:

i'm gonna need details on this one.

Have a thousand peasants stand in a line. Tell all of them except the one at the front to ready an action to pass an object to the one in front of them, and the one at the front to ready an action to throw it. then, you hand something to the one in the back, and it instantly goes to the one at the front who throws it.

Theoretically, since the object just moved a mile in one round, it gets thrown at some absurd speed. In actuality, it doesn't work since D&D has no concept of velocity, so it just does what would have happened if the front peasant just threw it normally.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Basically, you set up a situation where the game rules do not work anymore, because they're only meant to simulate small-scale combat in a way that's hopefully manageable without a computer and hopefully fun. And then you have to insist on following game rules instead of realistic physics to obtain an unrealistic effect, and then realistic physics instead of game rules to handle the consequence of the effect.

At least the blind kobold trick followed the rules entirely.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If the players allow/enjoy it, rules are suggestions

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

World Famous W posted:

I'll admit I'm a poo poo dm who forgets half the rules and makes poo poo up on the fly (but my players don't seem to mind) but I think only one needs the skill and the other can just be doing whatever that thing is where you add a small bonus to help

I guess yeah. And we've seen that durkon's family is pretty capable as a whole.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

World Famous W posted:

They do mention taking turns breaking dominations, I assumed that meant they could both yell Freedom independently.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

World Famous W posted:

If the players allow/enjoy it, rules are suggestions

If ignoring the rules is more fun than playing by them, the rules suck.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

AnoHito posted:

Have a thousand peasants stand in a line. Tell all of them except the one at the front to ready an action to pass an object to the one in front of them, and the one at the front to ready an action to throw it. then, you hand something to the one in the back, and it instantly goes to the one at the front who throws it.

Theoretically, since the object just moved a mile in one round, it gets thrown at some absurd speed. In actuality, it doesn't work since D&D has no concept of velocity, so it just does what would have happened if the front peasant just threw it normally.

I was extremely hoping for a magical railgun that used peasants as ammunition

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What's the blind kobold trick,?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Llab posted:

I was extremely hoping for a magical railgun that used peasants as ammunition

I mean, there's no reason another peasant couldn't be the object.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Re: the levels of Durkon's family;
Is dwarven-land a high level area (and thus, powerful NPC), or OOTS-verse operates under level-scaling system?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I've been assuming that it's just the case that Durkon's mum is an important and influential person in Dwarven society, and has an extended family so large that it contains a large number of high-level heroes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Whybird posted:

I've been assuming that it's just the case that Durkon's mum is an important and influential person in Dwarven society, and has an extended family so large that it contains a large number of high-level heroes.

I just assumed their second lease on life made them all ambitious and fast leveling

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

AnoHito posted:

It does make for a really good alternative to a telegraph!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If combined with high-density electronic storage devices, the bandwith would be insane. https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149 could be used as a template for for IP over Readied Peasant

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

...or they could just transmit data with the literal magic that exists. I feel like a 1 or 2 wizards is probably a bit more efficient than a largish army of peasants.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnoHito posted:

...or they could just transmit data with the literal magic that exists. I feel like a 1 or 2 wizards is probably a bit more efficient than a largish army of peasants.

Peasant wages are so low that it's more cost-effective to do this than to use magic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Peasant wages are so low that it's more cost-effective to do this than to use magic.

Well there's a dystopian nightmare. 12 hour shifts standing an arms length from 2 other guys, one hand reaching toward the guy on your left, on hand reaching toward the guy on your right, constantly ready to pass a message along. Generations of your family spending their lives on the telegraph line.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well there's a dystopian nightmare. 12 hour shifts standing an arms length from 2 other guys, one hand reaching toward the guy on your left, on hand reaching toward the guy on your right, constantly ready to pass a message along. Generations of your family spending their lives on the telegraph line.

Beats being a soldier or miner, anyways.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just animate some skeletons to do it instead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's an rpg.net thread where someone maps out a way to defeat Elminster with a bowl of psionic hummus

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

There's an rpg.net thread where someone maps out a way to defeat Elminster with a bowl of psionic hummus

Hey you read my thread! :p

(Probably not my thread actually, BUT I DID have a thread on the Necrosis persistent world forums where I and a DM had a duel between a level 20 wizard and Elminster since I argued that any sufficiently optimized (but not cheesy) Mage could beat Elminster; the other guy who would DM it disagreed this was the case and it very quickly broke down into rules lawyering bullshit.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hey you read my thread! :p

(Probably not my thread actually, BUT I DID have a thread on the Necrosis persistent world forums where I and a DM had a duel between a level 20 wizard and Elminster since I argued that any sufficiently optimized (but not cheesy) Mage could beat Elminster; the other guy who would DM it disagreed this was the case and it very quickly broke down into rules lawyering bullshit.)

As a balder's gate player as far as I can tell Elminster is just a guy who pops in, says a few cryptic things, and then leaves. Doesn't seem that hard to beat.

I love the BG had all those forgotten realms celebrity shout outs, that just leave you going "what the gently caress was that about" if you aren't familiar with the IP. Drizzt it just some guy who needs help fighting gnolls.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a good thread, not least for the insane op meltdown

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Facebook Aunt posted:

As a balder's gate player as far as I can tell Elminster is just a guy who pops in, says a few cryptic things, and then leaves. Doesn't seem that hard to beat.

I love the BG had all those forgotten realms celebrity shout outs, that just leave you going "what the gently caress was that about" if you aren't familiar with the IP. Drizzt it just some guy who needs help fighting gnolls.

Better than all the fan service in never winter nights. I still have no idea who was from any source books

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If no one else is going to talk about the Skeleton Computer, then I will.

In certain editions, powerful enough necromancers can create a magic item that would let them create an effectively infinite number of skeletons (as long as they or a minion/lackey/intern refresh the control spell every couple of days.) These skeletons can be given basic commands, like "if the skeleton in front of you raises both arms, raise your right arm", or "if the skeleton in front of you raises either arm, raise your right arm." By doing this, they've designed two-bit logic gates, and can now create a Turing-complete arrangement of skeletons. It's basically Minecraft Redstone but with black magic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PMush Perfect posted:

It's basically Minecraft Redstone but with black magic.

So it's Minecraft Redstone.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

AnoHito posted:

What if I have 26 words to say

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

When's the meltdown start?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PMush Perfect posted:

If no one else is going to talk about the Skeleton Computer, then I will.

In certain editions, powerful enough necromancers can create a magic item that would let them create an effectively infinite number of skeletons (as long as they or a minion/lackey/intern refresh the control spell every couple of days.) These skeletons can be given basic commands, like "if the skeleton in front of you raises both arms, raise your right arm", or "if the skeleton in front of you raises either arm, raise your right arm." By doing this, they've designed two-bit logic gates, and can now create a Turing-complete arrangement of skeletons. It's basically Minecraft Redstone but with black magic.

Did anyone actually do this without the DM flipping the table and leaving?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

What's the blind kobold trick,?

I forgot the details but IIRC it was about using blind kobolds to get attacks of opportunity to get extra attacks at your enemy through the cleave feat.

KBK
KPK
KKK

Take a configuration like this. B: bad guy, K: kobold, P: player. With the kobolds wandering around, the player gets 7 extra cleave attacks on the bad guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

goblin week posted:

It does make for a really good alternative to a telegraph!

Think bigger: instant long-distance travel network.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

Think bigger: instant long-distance travel network.

You mean teleport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who What Now posted:

When's the meltdown start?

It's more of an implosion of concentrated nerdsmug, reading it again, but he starts getting testy around p26.