Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He thinks companies ruin the real-world day to day usage of their production cars just to be able to say "it set a time of X at the nurburgring"

Is he talking about Camrys and Sentras here or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh, so he doesn’t hate the track itself, jist that it’s become this holy standard and the trickle-down consequences thereof. got it.

how did it become the standard, anyhow?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I want these tests to happen so bad. Just a fleet of Teslas with brakes melting, wheels whomping, batteries exploding, spectacular crashes... it's going to be like the end of Blues Brothers.

Just incredible carnage.

abelwingnut posted:

oh, so he doesn’t hate the track itself, jist that it’s become this holy standard and the trickle-down consequences thereof. got it.

how did it become the standard, anyhow?

Well-maintained, somewhat open, and relatively close to all the big euro manufacturers, so it was easy to comparison test there, then globalism and gran turismo happened, and it became the world standard.

... Just realized how odd it is there's never been a Tesla on the ring in an official capacity.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Is he talking about Camrys and Sentras here or what

Nah just cars and companies that specifically say stuff about NBR, I think he uses it as a sort of short hand for cars that ride like poo poo just so people can pretend they're gonna take it to a track someday.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Well yeah but that's the tradeoff that consumers are consciously spending their money so as to maximize.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Failson posted:

... Just realized how odd it is there's never been a Tesla on the ring in an official capacity.

because they know it goes into :flaccid: mode after a few minutes and then performs like a minivan

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Failson posted:

I want these tests to happen so bad. Just a fleet of Teslas with brakes melting, wheels whomping, batteries exploding, spectacular crashes... it's going to be like the end of Blues Brothers.

Just incredible carnage.

Well-maintained, somewhat open, and relatively close to all the big euro manufacturers, so it was easy to comparison test there, then globalism and gran turismo happened, and it became the world standard.

There’s a couple of articles about taking the Model S to the track and it sapping 10% charge per mile when going at 100+ mph.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

abelwingnut posted:

why does james may hate the nürburgring?

Because, for a while, a bunch of manufacturers were making Nurburgring edition cars for every day people who would never be on a track. So the fact that it could go around the ring really fast didn't really matter when it would never even see a track and was just made incredibly worse for daily driving. Stiff suspension that keeps the tires planted on the track = spine shattering ride when hitting every pothole in your undermaintained city streets.

Lote posted:

There’s a couple of articles about taking the Model S to the track and it sapping 10% charge per mile when going at 100+ mph.

Ah, so Elon just needs to make the battery have a capacity of 161.2% excluding any power used getting on the track itself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just ignite the battery pack for extra thrust and eject each stage when depleted

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cojawfee posted:

Because, for a while, a bunch of manufacturers were making Nurburgring edition cars for every day people who would never be on a track. So the fact that it could go around the ring really fast didn't really matter when it would never even see a track and was just made incredibly worse for daily driving. Stiff suspension that keeps the tires planted on the track = spine shattering ride when hitting every pothole in your undermaintained city streets.

Ah, so Elon just needs to make the battery have a capacity of 161.2% excluding any power used getting on the track itself.

Just strap another battery to the back, duh

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Cojawfee posted:

so why hate the track when the people are the ones buying it?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Karl Sharks posted:

it’s what the track represents maaan

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Karl Sharks posted:

Because James May would have to review these cars when he could be reviewing better cars.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

no thumbnail for this work of art

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Porsche lives breathes and shits track testing gently caress lol.

I dont think Tesla is going to even find a test driver willing to wring it out on the nurburgring. Test drivers are a completely different breed of human, having being born with no concept of what fear is, being but even they have limits.

Theyre going to hand it to a bazinga intern with 200 hours in forza
musk had the clout to hire a professional to drive a tesla down an uneven concrete railing in the hyperloop media spectacle though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Put a toy firetruck on a rail around the track like they do for greyhounds with rabbits

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Karl Sharks posted:

Because he's an old white guy and he likes complaining.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

boom

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

also the car has to be able to go pretty fast for 13 minutes and not overheat. no loving way is a tesla doing that without serious specialization, like him ordering a the factory to make a one of a kind car with liquid nitrogen and extra batteries filling the back seats

a model s struggled with heat on virginia international raceway, a much smaller track. granted (as far as i remember) it was a stock version, so assumingly if tesla is smart they turn off any battery controls and just have at it. even then, it's a piggish car that probably doesn't have even remotely well setup suspension, poo poo aero, undersized brakes, and lovely steering you'd expect with a novice company.

**if** it manages to finish a lap it's probably destined for 8:30ish range

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
What's the best time a relatively stock pickup truck has made?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Saw my first wompy wheel in the wild, there was a collision front end to front-quarter-panel at an intersection near my house where the speed limit is 30 mph. The wheel and amputated suspension member of the model 3 were resting a good 5 feet from the car. The other car, a ford focus, looked like most cars look after a medium-speed crash, all four wheels still attached.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the money is there to do it, it's that bottomless tech money bag, Tesla is valued at around what Honda is, I think they're the #2 domestic brand behind GM by valuation but they don't waste any money on actually making cars, instead they just collect sacks and sacks of grift cash

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Speleothing posted:

What's the best time a relatively stock pickup truck has made?

Dunno but i found this and it looks like it'd be fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swo8zcQoxgA

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
clearly we need to goad Musk into sitting in the car himself while the autopilot drives the lap

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

bring back old gbs posted:

Musk thinks the nurburgring works like a go kart track and he can just buy a ticket lol

I mean, kind of? When the track is open, you can in fact just buy a ticket and drive / ruin your car there. That's why you see footage of DHL delivery vans chasing old Gold cabriolets.

Really looking forward to bazingas ruining their cars on the track without insurance though.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean, kind of? When the track is open, you can in fact just buy a ticket and drive / ruin your car there. That's why you see footage of DHL delivery vans chasing old Gold cabriolets.

Really looking forward to bazingas ruining their cars on the track without insurance though.

Oh God. His fans are going to try and prove it FOR him, aren't they?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Oh God. His fans are going to try and prove it FOR him, aren't they?

:pray:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lol: irl

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I mean, some guy already did 8:50. I don't know if it's the 20.6km lap, but it's not bad for an amateur, maybe a pro can cut a minute to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dphw4km60m4

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

being on a bike and hearing the sound of tires squealing closer and closer to you from behind, like at that pass near the end, would make me poop my pants imo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah I don't know how the car held together for the entire lap

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

probably special reinforced zip ties!

those are what everyone else puts cars together with right

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

theres still a lot going for the low center of gravity heavy car that still can accelerate rly quick

whomping wheel laffs aside theres no reason it seems it couldn't do ok if the battery pack doesn't go into safety mode

but porsche knows how to like...drive cars?? and tune them?? etc?? and that's where getting the hardest fastest times is gonna come from

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

orange sky posted:

I mean, some guy already did 8:50. I don't know if it's the 20.6km lap, but it's not bad for an amateur, maybe a pro can cut a minute to it?

Fast times are less about being able to go and accelerate fast but more being able to keep going fast through the turns.

The 8 minute mark is dominated ny cars at least a full 300 Kilograms lighter than a P85D.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

because this is 2019 elon is gonna put some shlub behind the wheel of a model s, who against all the odds will kamikaze down the track and only due to pure luck somehow not have smashed into the sides or rolled it over taking a turn poorly or etc and end up accidentally crushing all the other records because thats the one of all possible worlds where the car didn't explode while doing a 1080 through the air into france

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
flying shot: james bonds car is driving down the wrong direction on the highway, swerving wildly after his target

interior: james bond is banging the wheel. the window wipers are going at max speed, the windshield washers are spraying nontstop, and the radio is blaring mariachi music

bond: SIRI! ALEXA! GOOGLE ASSISTANT BLAST THE drat THING JUST HELP ME CHASE THAT CAR!!

*a loud fart noise plays through the console as a tiny barrel emerges from the grill and fires a dart with a tiny firetruck on the end into the back of bonds target. the dash screen stops glitching as the driver side chair reclines into nap mode. the car effortlessly dodges traffic as it chases the target*

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

orange sky posted:

It isn't. The public isn't allowed to drive the full track, they stop you halfway down the main straight. BTG means "bridge to gantry" and refers to the landmarks they use as timing points.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cumshitter posted:

flying shot: james bonds car is driving down the wrong direction on the highway, swerving wildly after his target

interior: james bond is banging the wheel. the window wipers are going at max speed, the windshield washers are spraying nontstop, and the radio is blaring mariachi music

bond: SIRI! ALEXA! GOOGLE ASSISTANT BLAST THE drat THING JUST HELP ME CHASE THAT CAR!!

*a loud fart noise plays through the console as a tiny barrel emerges from the grill and fires a dart with a tiny firetruck on the end into the back of bonds target. the dash screen stops glitching as the driver side chair reclines into nap mode. the car effortlessly dodges traffic as it chases the target*

lol

once upon a time even microsoft was cooler than tesla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR12YYhcEGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bulgakov posted:

because this is 2019 elon is gonna put some shlub behind the wheel of a model s, who against all the odds will kamikaze down the track and only due to pure luck somehow not have smashed into the sides or rolled it over taking a turn poorly or etc and end up accidentally crushing all the other records because thats the one of all possible worlds where the car didn't explode while doing a 1080 through the air into france never gonna make it to the track and that fact will be forgotten and people will only remember that he challenged Porsche and well heck he wouldn't challenge them unless he could own them completely, therefore Teslas are faster and better than Porsches