Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liquid Communism posted:

Lol. JRPG's didn't 'find' an audience of women. They had one from the start. Square has made no bones about that for decades.

In Japan, yes. They were marketed towards boys in the US, since that was the way all games were at the time. If we're having a discussion where people are talking about how WRPGs and flight sims have been displaced by other AAA genres, I have to assume we're talking about the US domestic market and not overseas. The US didn't have this audience early on, because they were pushed out of games marketing after the 80s crash. They've gained it more recently because games are marketed towards everyone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rkajdi posted:

In Japan, yes. They were marketed towards boys in the US, since that was the way all games were at the time. If we're having a discussion where people are talking about how WRPGs and flight sims have been displaced by other AAA genres, I have to assume we're talking about the US domestic market and not overseas. The US didn't have this audience early on, because they were pushed out of games marketing after the 80s crash. They've gained it more recently because games are marketed towards everyone now.

And you would still be wrong. JRPGs have always had an audience of women in the US and they've been aware of it. You can probably find an image for X-TREME 90s TEENAGE WOO advertisment that was everywhere in the 90s but if you actually look at the advertisement for the bulk of JRPGs in the 90s a lot of it is gender neutral.

Like here is a Lufia II ad:

It even uses the dreaded L-L-LOVE word that advertisers thought would be too girly.

This was pretty common. Indeed the bulk of JRPG advertising at the time tended to focus on the fact it was huge/had an actual story/was like a 'computer RPG" That was indeed part of their selling point that they were the 'smart' and 'long' games and they tried to make people want to think they were more intellectual for buying them instead of something else.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 7, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rkajdi posted:

Just because they were marketed towards boys doesn't mean they were the ones playing them. JRPGs have always been massively popular with women. If you don't believe me, try the google search of 'sephiroth x cloud yaoi'

And like ImpAtom said, even in the 90s JRPG advertising was the most gender neutral of video game advertising. Look at the marketing campaign for FF7. 'So big it couldn't fit on a single disc!' 'A gripping plot with hundreds of characters!' "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll fall in love!"

JRPGs were marketed like high drama and epic storytelling. There were outliers that tried to act like hardcore, difficult games, but they were in the minority.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 7, 2019

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Woozy posted:

sub-cultural colonists who pretend to like Gone Home

lmbo

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

"sub-cultural colonists" must be my favorite part of the whole woozy event. thanks for reminding me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Endorph posted:

JRPGs were marketed like high drama and epic storytelling. There were outliers that tried to act like hardcore, difficult games, but they were in the minority.
I wouldn't call the Shin Megami Tensei series an outlier, per se. It certainly has the sales to compete with any of the other big-name series.

They don't have to be for the point to be valid, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

"sub-cultural colonists" must be my favorite part of the whole woozy event. thanks for reminding me

I skipped over that part of the thread so thanks for bringing it up

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
JRPGs have been about cute morally ambiguous boys and the tension they have with other cute boys since at least final fantasy 2 and in my experience that stuff is like catnip for girls

also i'm not sure amano artwork appeals to the stereotypical dude at all. when i was a more uncultured and close minded boy it was actually something that deterred me from the franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I wouldn't call the Shin Megami Tensei series an outlier, per se. It certainly has the sales to compete with any of the other big-name series.

They don't have to be for the point to be valid, though.

Did... you mean to reply to someone else?

The SMT games didn't get US releases until Persona 1/2 on the PS1 which certainly didn't have dude-focused advertising (as little as it had.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Charlie Bobson posted:

JRPGs have been about cute morally ambiguous boys and the tension they have with other cute boys since at least final fantasy 2 and in my experience that stuff is like catnip for girls

also i'm not sure amano artwork appeals to the stereotypical dude at all. when i was a more uncultured and close minded boy it was actually something that deterred me from the franchise.

I had a FF3(6) guidebook back in the day; one of my best friends at the time wrote "what are you, gay?" next to an Amano drawing of... either Edgar or Cyan, I forget which one it was... when he borrowed it

I'm not making any points here, just relating to the statement (I had no opinion on the art that I can remember, besides "these outlines are messy" anyway, and I still think that damnit. Amano's aesthetic and fashion choices are a separate topic :v:)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I got into gaming way, way late. Does anybody have guesses as to why game magazines went full-on "Boys rule, girls drool" in the '80s-'90s?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I missed it initially because my eyes glaze over when presented with a fuckin essay on poo poo nobody but the most unhinged internet idiots cares about but I am deeply thankful for having that wordsmithing pointed out to me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ImpAtom posted:

Did... you mean to reply to someone else?

The SMT games didn't get US releases until Persona 1/2 on the PS1 which certainly didn't have dude-focused advertising (as little as it had.)
No, but I think I may have missed the point. I wouldn't know about it if we're talking specifically US advertising. It's just that the series is older than most people know and it has always been sold on the strength of its challenging gameplay, at least in Japan. Persona is the outlier of the franchise in that it's much more about interpersonal relationships, so I guess from that perspective you are right.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think this article might be relevant to the conversation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wow, thank you for that link!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Grapplejack posted:

rkajdi is weird and lovely, yes. He's in the moviebob territory of not wanting poors to vote because they're too dumb to understand anything

eugenicsbob is STILL going on about the filthy rural poors? you'd think the manchild would get bored sooner or later

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I think this article might be relevant to the conversation.

This is a super good article and what it says about the failure of video game marketing to display the diversity of games is particularly on point I feel

I talk to my mom about video games a lot because I like video games and I like my mom and I like talking to her about things I like. I have always been a big game nerd but I also always had a bunch of nerd shame (self inflicted) so I never talked to my parents/family about games and definitely never the weird offbeat ones like harvest moon or dragon quest. Once I entered the therapy zone and started opening up about it more, my mom was shocked at how nice and fun a lot of the games I played were. She had always figured that the only type of games that existed were the ones with commercials on TV, and that the intense/violent action that those commercials showed were all those games were. It is very validating for me to see her laugh at a dumb Dragon Quest pun or listen to her tell me how cute she thinks something like the support system in Fire Emblem is. I can even tell her about stuff like Doom and the new God of War and she'll enjoy it because I'm telling her about how God of War is really just a very stern father and his rambunctious child going on a road trip and learning life lessons (and brutally killing 7000 zombies in the process).

Those things about her not knowing what kinds of video games exist is all stuff she has explicitly brought up and told me or else I never would have realized this. I am very blessed to have cool and supportive parents.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A huge contributor to the western perspective on RPGs is also where a lot of the people who were making these games were coming from. Back in the 80's, tabletop gaming was pretty much exclusively seen as a virgin basement-dweller hobby, but that's the primary influence for a huge portion of the early PC RPGs like Might and Magic, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Arcanum, Avernum, Ultima, you get the idea. A lot of the console games were more marketable to women simply because they didn't stem from this niche. Using PCs was already a nerdy hobby, but then playing PC games about Elves and Orcs was basically the ultimate social suicide. It wasn't that these games were just struggling to attract women, they were struggling to attract any diversity among men as well. This is why pretty much every one of these studios went under as soon as making games required a sizeable team and investment - the money wasn't there

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Just to get back to the Vic Mignogna thing for a moment, how does someone telling the judge "no, I'm just not actually listening to what you say" not get you instantly held in contempt of court, anyway? Seems like the most straightforward example of it that I've seen in, well, ever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A huge contributor to the western perspective on RPGs is also where a lot of the people who were making these games were coming from. Back in the 80's, tabletop gaming was pretty much exclusively seen as a virgin basement-dweller hobby, but that's the primary influence for a huge portion of the early PC RPGs like Might and Magic, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Arcanum, Avernum, Ultima, you get the idea. A lot of the console games were more marketable to women simply because they didn't stem from this niche. Using PCs was already a nerdy hobby, but then playing PC games about Elves and Orcs was basically the ultimate social suicide. It wasn't that these games were just struggling to attract women, they were struggling to attract any diversity among men as well. This is why pretty much every one of these studios went under as soon as making games required a sizeable team and investment - the money wasn't there

it didn't help that back in the 80s the media didn't paint people with nerdy interests in that positive a light. i mean these were they days when people legit thought D&D was satanic and every comedy had nerds as either weird gently caress up rear end in a top hat pervs or punching bags. i mean i have seen people say "well yeah because its true" but i kinda wonder if its a chicken and the egg type deal. idk. i am just glad audience for the most part are more diverse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cardiovorax posted:

Just to get back to the Vic Mignogna thing for a moment, how does someone telling the judge "no, I'm just not actually listening to what you say" not get you instantly held in contempt of court, anyway? Seems like the most straightforward example of it that I've seen in, well, ever.

As long as it isn’t holding up the court it really isn’t a big deal.

If it was a criminal hearing this would make arguing for a retrial do to incompetent counsel insanely easy

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it didn't help that back in the 80s the media didn't paint people with nerdy interests in that positive a light. i mean these were they days when people legit thought D&D was satanic and every comedy had nerds as either weird gently caress up rear end in a top hat pervs or punching bags. i mean i have seen people say "well yeah because its true" but i kinda wonder if its a chicken and the egg type deal. idk. i am just glad audience for the most part are more diverse.

It's hard to bring new people into a hobby when they face social rejection for engaging in it, so it makes sense that the people who would gravitate toward tabletop and early PC RPGs would be the ones already on the outside. I will say though, the diversity issue involved in tabletop is a strange one to approach. I think literally everyone would agree that bringing more women into the tabletop scene both as designers and players is a good thing, but women were major propagators of the stigma people face from playing tabletop. I know that of course there was gatekeeping coming from male tabletop players just like in video games, but I think that the general consensus among women that tabletop is for losers and satanists was also a major barrier for other women who were interested but feared rejection from their friends. There was a reason that most people played the game in secret.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

As long as it isn’t holding up the court it really isn’t a big deal.

If it was a criminal hearing this would make arguing for a retrial do to incompetent counsel insanely easy
Huh, if you say so. I thought formality and respect to the judge was more important than that, but shows what I know.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, if you say so. I thought formality and respect to the judge was more important than that, but shows what I know.

Most of the insane power trip stuff comes from criminal court judges, I think civil guys are fine with just tanking your case and slapping you with sanctions. Besides he did way worse when he admitted to notary fraud on the record in open court, this was Vic Mignogna's lawyer btw.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is true it’s up to the judge so if he is feeling like being a prick he could do it easily. Most wont because that would just makes things take longer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright, thank you.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
About Alec Howolka, has there been any substantial evidence or a follow up that he committed sexual assault? or is this pretty much open and shut now that he's dead?

There's alot of poo poo on the internet, just wanted to know.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is true it’s up to the judge so if he is feeling like being a prick he could do it easily. Most wont because that would just makes things take longer.

Yeah like 90% of the notes people have posted from the hearing were about the judge trying to coax Vic's lawyer into doing his job and keep things moving along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

About Alec Howolka, has there been any substantial evidence or a follow up that he committed sexual assault? or is this pretty much open and shut now that he's dead?

There have been multiple sources including family and coworkers who have confirmed this was a thing. That is the best we are going to get.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

There have been multiple sources including family and coworkers who have confirmed this was a thing. That is the best we are going to get.

i mean i trust benson so i believe him when he says he believes the victims and his stories make validate quinns and others stories. so yeah, i think he was a sex pest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

scott benson wrote a lengthy Medium post that dispelled any lingering doubts about holowka's behavior for most people. while there's no way to directly prove that he basically held quinn hostage (as is usually the case with assault allegations), he had a long and demonstrated history of vindictive behavior towards his exes, he was an unholy terror around benson during NitW's development, and furthermore he apparently had a pattern of latching onto up-and-coming game devs and running their projects into the ground with his emotional drama. he allegedly "recovered" about a year before the game's release, but after quinn's story came out and other people started speaking up, benson found out he was still pulling this poo poo with other, unnamed devs

sounds very much like borderline personality disorder - "i hate you, don't leave me" sort of behavior

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's hard to bring new people into a hobby when they face social rejection for engaging in it, so it makes sense that the people who would gravitate toward tabletop and early PC RPGs would be the ones already on the outside. I will say though, the diversity issue involved in tabletop is a strange one to approach. I think literally everyone would agree that bringing more women into the tabletop scene both as designers and players is a good thing, but women were major propagators of the stigma people face from playing tabletop. I know that of course there was gatekeeping coming from male tabletop players just like in video games, but I think that the general consensus among women that tabletop is for losers and satanists was also a major barrier for other women who were interested but feared rejection from their friends. There was a reason that most people played the game in secret.

semi related to this but i feel like the sense of "no what is happening this was my thing and i don't want it to be your thing too" is kind of understandable

i dont think its completely unreasonable to feel uncomfortable when there is change and new people are getting into your hobby and the thing you really liked is becoming a very similar but still different thing

i do think it's unreasonable to still feel uncomfortable after 9 years or however long it's been since gaming started becoming "mainstream"/game nerds realized it was becoming a part of popular culture in general

my feelings on this (and like literally everything else i've posted in this thread) are super ill defined and are nowhere near being a fully formed opinion i hold dear to my heart, so if im spouting insanity please tell me

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 7, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, whatever the specifics, the guy clearly wasn't healthy and he clearly was behaving like that. It's corroborated by enough by people at this point for that to not be in question anymore.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

but women were major propagators of the stigma people face from playing tabletop. I know that of course there was gatekeeping coming from male tabletop players just like in video games, but I think that the general consensus among women that tabletop is for losers and satanists was also a major barrier for other women who were interested but feared rejection from their friends. There was a reason that most people played the game in secret.
For the purposes of this post, I'm talking about the gender binary as cis people understood it in the 1980s. There were probably non-binary people in my friendsgroup, but at this time and this place we talked about a binary.

What the hell? Which women are you speaking for here? A certain generation and type of mother thought tabletop was for Satanists, but that was never mainstream even in its day. I did play tabletop in the '80s (still have the D&D set of pamphlets, with matching box, as well as Kingmaker and a couple of others) and my experience was that anti-nerd gatekeeping applied both to women and men, but that anti-girl-nerd gatekeeping mostly (but not always) came from men.

Women weren't keeping women from playing D&D. Non-nerd women weren't keeping nerd women from playing D&D. Nerd guys? Yeah.

Charlie Bobson posted:

i dont think its completely unreasonable to feel uncomfortable when there is change and new people are getting into your hobby and the thing you really liked is becoming a very similar but still different thing

i do think it's unreasonable to still feel uncomfortable after 9 years or however long it's been since gaming started becoming "mainstream"/game nerds realized it was becoming a part of popular culture in general

Feeling uncomfortable? Maybe. Telling the new people they aren't welcome? Definitely assholic.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 7, 2019

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
the average not nerd high schooler now still finds tabletop gaming and dungeons of dragons to be weird, I've found

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Feeling uncomfortable? Maybe. Telling the new people they aren't welcome? Definitely assholic.

But the distinction between those two things is very rarely acknowledged, and I think that that can cause a binary to be formed where awkward nerd dudes who are feeling uncomfortable feel like if they're not completely cool and socially on point and good with it from the word go that they are considered lovely rear end in a top hat manchildren neckbeards with micropenises, which only strengthens their negative reaction.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you aren't cool with new people getting into a hobby you like just because they are different from what you are used to, then you usually are kind of a lovely person. There would have to be some kind of extenuating circumstances that go far beyond just "but they're girls" for that not to apply.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

If you aren't cool with new people getting into a hobby you like just because they are different from what you are used to, then you usually are kind of a lovely person. There would have to be some kind of extenuating circumstances that go far beyond just "but they're girls" for that not to apply.

Yes many people are immature and not very emotionally aware I agree

I'd argue that for many of these "lovely people" there are extenuating circumstances that cause this kind of reaction, but we never see or learn about them because we're talking to them on the internet anonymously.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm sure every last one of them has reasons that they consider extenuating circumstances. I'm just not sure I'd agree with them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

... awkward nerd dudes who are feeling uncomfortable feel like if they're not completely cool and socially on point and good with it from the word go that they are considered lovely rear end in a top hat manchildren neckbeards with micropenises, which only strengthens their negative reaction.
A transperson upthread reminded us that using "micropenis" as an insult is painful and rude to lots of transpeople. Ditto "neckbeard".

Charlie Bobson, I think you're implying that "polite to people who don't share your gender identity/race/..." is equivalent to "socially on point". It honestly isn't that hard. This is not "walk into a bar full of strangers and make smalltalk". This is "sit in a room full of gamers and talk about the subject you all care about. And possibly play games with them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Charlie Bobson posted:

the average not nerd high schooler now still finds tabletop gaming and dungeons of dragons to be weird, I've found

But the distinction between those two things is very rarely acknowledged, and I think that that can cause a binary to be formed where awkward nerd dudes who are feeling uncomfortable feel like if they're not completely cool and socially on point and good with it from the word go that they are considered lovely rear end in a top hat manchildren neckbeards with micropenises, which only strengthens their negative reaction.

Sure a lot of people may have found it weird but it being 'understandable' to exclude people because of that is bullshit. I grew up in the (deep) south surrounded by crazy rear end bigots and racists and yet the group I played D&D and games with in high school had women in it just fine - though this may have more to do that 5 of the 6 of us ended up lgb and one trans so we had that extra layer of fear and pointed hatred directed at us. Being an exclusionary prick still makes (the excluder) an rear end in a top hat manchild.

And while personal experiences aren't the norm the myth that it's just how it is, or that these groups aren't responsible for their actions should be regularly quashed for the bullshit it is. Racism, bigotry, and sexism are always the primary motivators to exclusion and not how others view you.

E: I will add it's always painfully easy to tell when someone has never had to deal with exclusion or the existential fear of harm just for existing.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 7, 2019