Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
best Last-Drive In episodes from season 1? I missed them all. watching Henry to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
It 2 spoilers:

I enjoyed the making fun of King being unable to end a loving book. Making Richie gay is fine and good, but I wish it hadn't been for Eddie. Making it for Bill instead would have made more sense thematically with the book, or maybe even for Ben's new hotness, and either of those would have avoided stepping on that particular trope rake twice in one movie.

I actually enjoyed the macroverse stuff, and was disappointed we didn't get more of it, but the strange, non-humanoid look of the tooth-cave and the deadlights kind of hints at it in a way that I liked. Spider-clown wasn't really any scarier than the rubber spider in the TV mini-series. They should have just stuck to the Lovecraftian monstrosities.

The Paul Bunyan scene was my least favorite It appearance in the book, and I was glad when it wasn't in the first movie. That said, they didn't do a bad job with it here. It's definitely not as goofy as it was in my imagination.

Edit:

Oh, I also enjoyed the shoutouts to The Thing and Poltergeist.

Petr fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 8, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

escape artist posted:

best Last-Drive In episodes from season 1? I missed them all. watching Henry to start

That's one of my favorite movies! A great Joe Bob episode too.

Just finished Atroz. It was actually pretty heartbreaking, but the effects were top notch for being a low budget movie. I'd recommend it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
gently caress, It 2 really sucked! All the jumpscares fell flat, all the Pennywise is Derry subtext gone, no more relation of the scares to the person being scared, literally just an ooga booga clown but they didn't even get that right. I wouldn't even recommend seeing it on streaming, this might be the most uninteresting movie I've seen in ages.

Way to retcon IT's true identity too, it's seriously hbomberguy???

vv edit: oh boy

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am excited for Dr Sleep especially because Mike Flanagan is directing it who has one of the best resumes when it comes to current horror.

I mean this is guy behind.

Oculus
Hush
Ouija: Origin of Evil
Gerald’s Game
The Haunting of Hill House

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Way to pick a fight and not even mention Mike Flanagan's one good movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1169715644444631043

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am excited for Dr Sleep especially because Mike Flanagan is directing it who has one of the best resumes when it comes to current horror.

I mean this is guy behind.

Oculus
Hush
Ouija: Origin of Evil
Gerald’s Game
The Haunting of Hill House

this bait is so obvious even IM not gonna take it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stephan King's literary works have flaws, but ultimately he's a still a cool dude.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Stephan King's literary works have flaws, but ultimately he's a still a cool dude.

My rule of thumb's been you can't go wrong with King's short stories. With his novels it's a 50-50 crapshoot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King owns because he’s a creative who unlocked the ultimate creative power:

Just doing it and not stopping.

No it’s not called cocaine or drugs because that poo poo isn’t a magical substance that makes work appears on the page lmao.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Everything that reeks of Muschietti (horrible CGI crooked face with lots of sharp teeth running at the camera) is really, really bad. I thought this was a lot better than the first though.

I hope someone fanedits this and the first film into something good. The cast in both is actually pretty solid but there were so many scene-ruining moments like when bill finally overcomes his guilt by peacefully drowning his brother only to see his younger self transform into yet another horrible cgi face with lots of teeth .

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

M_Sinistrari posted:

My rule of thumb's been you can't go wrong with King's short stories. With his novels it's a 50-50 crapshoot.

When I go back to read King, I read his short stories. There might be a clunker or two in a collection, but by-and-large the majority of them whip rear end and demonstrate a control and focus that he usually can't maintain in larger works.

Like seriously, I was a grown-rear end adult and N. still gave me the spook-a-doodles, Lovecraft pastiche that it is.

Origami Dali posted:

Night Shift is a great collection.

Might even be the singular best King collection, actually. The Mangler, Gray Matter, Quitter's Inc, Children Of The Corn, Battleground... nearly every story in it is a banger.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 8, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Night Shift is a great collection.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
King rules. Like it’s legitimately awesome that the the most mainstream popular author of our time writes about ghouls and killer cars and poo poo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KaptainKrunk posted:

Everything that reeks of Muschietti (horrible CGI crooked face with lots of sharp teeth running at the camera) is really, really bad. I thought this was a lot better than the first though.

I hope someone fanedits this and the first film into something good.

Challenge accepted when the DVD comes out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Muschietti! Always stinkin up the place!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The world would be worse off without at least one mainstream horror writer who has the kind of creative freedom that King has

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd argue that until The Green Mile, his books are pretty consistent in quality.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

KaptainKrunk posted:

Yeah, it got old in the first film. By the time it got to the last part, it was like 'oh, distorted face too many teeth, oh boy, how long til he rushes the camera again?'

A lot of it fell flat for me, particularly bringing in the Ritual of Chūd and Bowers coming back. I did like the callback to Richie and Eddie arguing about which door to pick because Pennywise messed with them the last time.

I also had a moment of being a snooty elitist movie-goer and rolled my eyes at the homage to The Thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
IT 2 is way too long and Pennywise is overused to the point where him showing up lacks any impact.

The movie is at its strongest when it's showing the characters under emotional pressure from how hosed up their lives are/were, but way too often it just tries to use some CGI monster as shorthand for this without actually engaging with it and falls completely flat.

e: Another problem is that it's frequently unclear whether IT actually poses a physical threat in any particular scene, and he so often doesn't that the movie feels weightless until the very end when he kills Eddie.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 8, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People want to see that clown.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

A good zing, but... I mean, come on. It's true. I love King's books but they are simply notorious for going 'oh poo poo we're 1200 pages in I better wrap this up', and just sharting themselves.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My god Color Out of Space is a real one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

chitoryu12 posted:

Challenge accepted when the DVD comes out.

What does it say about me that I'm excited for this to happen as much as seeing a movie I want at the show?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

No it’s not called cocaine or drugs because that poo poo isn’t a magical substance that makes work appears on the page lmao.

For some people, it literally is.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

flashy_mcflash posted:

Do tell!

I'm so bummed I wasn't able to get tickets to this at TIFF :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

For some people, it literally is.

Maybe. But king still does it without it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe. But king still does it without it.

Does he, though? All his awful books were written well after he got clean.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but like, he writes stuff.

I’m projecting a ton here but just very act of creating constantly is amazing. Not a lot of people can do that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm really curious how you'd even adapt something like that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
King’s output is schlocky as gently caress but schlock is the best kind of art.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

I’m projecting a ton here but just very act of creating constantly is amazing. Not a lot of people can do that.

For what it's worth, I'm with you on this.

King has made a lot of stuff, and led to a lot of other stuff being made, and a bunch of that stuff is great! I like goofing on the guy as much as the next person, but the horror genre is a better place because of him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RatHat posted:

I'm really curious how you'd even adapt something like that.

The go-to is to film it in black and white and have the color itself be some gaudy shimmering rainbow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

Most creative types do this though? That's kinda the point. Though a lot of creative people trash a lot of their ideas so it looks like their output is smaller than someone like King who can keep pumping out books regardless of quality.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

el oso posted:

Do tell!

I'm so bummed I wasn't able to get tickets to this at TIFF :(

I'm kind of mixed on it. I think how you receive it depends a lot on how much reverence you have for the original story.

It's very much a Nic Cage movie. He's all the way insane in this one and takes over every scene he's in, imo to the detriment of the film at times. If you're okay with the movie being a bit unserious on his part, I think you'll like it. The effects are mostly practical and very well done, with CG mostly being used to retouch things afterwards. It's very b-movieish in a way that made me wonder what, say, Del Toro might have done with the story but it's got the tone you'd expect from Cage doing a Richard Stanley flick.

For what it's worth, the Color is pretty much like an iridescent pink that we're told doesn't exist on earth. You really just have to accept that the pink is a stand-in for that color and go from there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KaptainKrunk posted:

the scene in bev's old apartment was effective when the giant old woman first stomps into frame but is undercut when they cut to the ridiculous face.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Another problem is that it's frequently unclear whether IT actually poses a physical threat in any particular scene, and he so often doesn't that the movie feels weightless until the very end when he kills Eddie.

as much as i enjoyed that whole sequence it's kinda goofy they didn't have eddie do it like he did in the book so they wouldn't have IT make a super long tentacle to stab him out of nowhere instead of just grabbing him like i think it does in the book.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 8, 2019

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

as much as i enjoyed that whole sequence it's kinda goofy they didn't have eddie do it like he did in the book so they wouldn't have IT make a super long tentacle to stab him out of nowhere instead of just grabbing him like i think it does in the book.

Gotta have that Aliens homage though!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda had IT look like it did when it caught richie in the deadlights more. that looked cool and weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s looking like It Chapter 2 is going to open about 25% lower than the first one ($90 mil instead of $123).

Still a shitload of money for a horror movie. I do feel like the pre-release hype for this one was a lot lower even before the reviews hit.