Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, there's always been a certain libertarian slant to the "space trader" genre- fundamentally it's looking at the wonders of an endless universe to which you have access, and thinking "man I could make a killing off of trading tungsten futures." Like, it's the easiest way to game-ify space exploration- have resources which you gather and use to trade for fuel, weapons, better ships, etc.- but there are times the genre really leans into "this is your job, get to working." This is enhanced by the hilariously bland Sharper Image aesthetic SC aims for- a bunch of fancy space yachts clearly targeting people with more money than taste.

Plus I get the feeling SC is specifically targeting the kind of independently wealthy types who spend lots of money on model trains, and the overlap between "affluent Boomers" and "Trump voters" is very large indeed.

I see where you are coming from, but IMO real "libertarians" don't deal with video games in general, or space sims specifically. They bribe governments to enable criminality, fund propaganda and so on.

Pick one of ~500 US billionaires; they are real libertarians. Fanboys of star citizen/crobo are at best wannabes.

Edit: taxxe:

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There is nothing to be gained from a no true scotsman argument about "real libertarians" comeon

this is literally a fallacy

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/dBAYrsg.gifv

downout
Jul 6, 2009

trucutru posted:

I mean, last week we had the "subhuman invertebrates" guy who was given a temp ban in reddit, and a week or two before him we had that other one with the racist tirade, and before that... nope, I don't smell any alt-right in there. SJWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :argh:

Whole lot of repetitive behavior like that guy, but just a few bad apples ...

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

There is nothing to be gained from a no true scotsman argument about "real libertarians" comeon

this is literally a fallacy

Maybe you're right. Idk, I don't treat libertarianism as a real-life philosophy. IMO it's a PR strategy for well-connected criminals.

A similar example would be Russian oligarchs. Most Russians who support the government are not oligarchs; yet their actions and beliefs functionally reflect oligarchs values.

I am just saying that most star citizen fanboys (i.e. ones on spectrum + r/sc) are not into "the ethno-state" and other super weird poo poo. Most of them are into dumb video gaming BS. They are nostalgic for 90s/early 2000s gaming culture and they've taken this nostalgia to the nth degree. But they are not weird, hosed racists; at least not the majority of them.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol did I just read someone earnestly post that there’s no overlap between the alt right and gamers

what the hell is this game doing to poor goons minds

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

But they are not weird, hosed racists; at least not the majority of them.

You're adorable.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

free hubcaps posted:

lol did I just read someone earnestly post that there’s no overlap between the alt right and gamers

what the hell is this game doing to poor goons minds

The alt right literally came into being as “gamer gate” before that nerds with lovely beliefs but too physically weak to actually be skinheads or whatever didn’t have a coherent identity.

:thermidor: all gamers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As another SC backer posts about wanting a rape mechanic in game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

As another SC backer posts about wanting a rape mechanic in game.

Could you inevitably link r/sc’s discussion of the inevitable consequences of piracy?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

idk if it’s been posted itt but the saddest/most infuriating star citizen thing I’ve seen was a cap of a forums post where the poster was clearly having a problem with impulse control/addiction to buying spaceship jpegs and I think said something about it seriously affecting his finances, it seemed kind of like a cry for help and the first loving reply was a mod or some other shill telling him to drown his sorrows by buying more spaceship jpegs.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

skeletors_condom posted:

I am just saying that most star citizen fanboys (i.e. ones on spectrum + r/sc) are not into "the ethno-state" and other super weird poo poo. Most of them are into dumb video gaming BS. They are nostalgic for 90s/early 2000s gaming culture and they've taken this nostalgia to the nth degree. But they are not weird, hosed racists; at least not the majority of them.

This is trivially disproven by looking at the post histories that are frequently posted. Stop being a doofus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

idk if it’s been posted itt but the saddest/most infuriating star citizen thing I’ve seen was a cap of a forums post where the poster was clearly having a problem with impulse control/addiction to buying spaceship jpegs and I think said something about it seriously affecting his finances, it seemed kind of like a cry for help and the first loving reply was a mod or some other shill telling him to drown his sorrows by buying more spaceship jpegs.

I mean thats sad but we just had a post a few weeks ago about a SC backer getting his friend to take out a loan from his credit union to buy the 890....

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There are a couple of people ITT who comb through every post on reddit and twitter grabbing the delusional or vile ones. Of course you're going to think they're all alt-righters or space-libertarians or whatever. But most Star Citizen fans aren't alt-righters. Hell most star citizen fans aren't even visible -- they didn't make $300 million dollars just from the people on reddit. Even the people who still believe the Dream have mostly wandered off because the game has such little progress.

Some of the most prominent shitizens are alt-right or terrible in some other way because that's the nature of the extremely online. The internet makes you crazy + terrible people who are rejected by everyone irl live on the internet.

(Also for some reason the edgiest of edgelords are among the last to leave a dying video game community. I don't know why but I've seen it repeated a couple times.)

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The alt right literally came into being as “gamer gate” before that nerds with lovely beliefs but too physically weak to actually be skinheads or whatever didn’t have a coherent identity.

This is idiotic, the alt-right isn't just angry gamer nerds. The term "alt-right" was invented to describe political skinheads.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 8, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Hahah that was a good rant. I wanted to post the text since it scrolled pretty fast but now I can't seem to play it.

If you let the whole animation play it'll show you the full text at the end :eng101:

skeletors_condom posted:

Yeah but cutt88 (I am assuming that's the dude from oneangrygamer) is not representative of the wider SC fanboy population. In general, oneangrygamer is trash; it's not something any normal person ("gamer" or a person who plays video games) would approach seriously. SC fanboys care about "fidelity," crobo's word salad and other BS, not the ethnostate.

Alt-righters don't talk about pipelines and "the BDSSE." They are not into to some nerdy video game BS.

And I am not representative of the whole SA population. Yet we all love anime tiddies, big ones. Coincidence? I think not!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I mean thats sad but we just had a post a few weeks ago about a SC backer getting his friend to take out a loan from his credit union to buy the 890....

No, his friend wanted to do it and he told him not to and how stupid it was.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So I just finished COD: Infinite Warfare. TBH I'm not sure what Chris can do to top it. It's a mega-budget action ride, with awesome set pieces, great zero-G gameplay and tight gunfighting.

The story is pretty trash, but the ending isn't too bad. The AI is COD dumb but not terrible. It does some cool things with the formula and pushes it in lots of different ways. It's your standard jack-boot military oo-rah shoot-em-up and so far of what we've seen of SQ42 it's literally what that game wants to be. A game from like 2 years ago will probably mop the floor with Chris's magnum opus.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

free hubcaps posted:

I remember that, the enabler was telling the guy with the addiction problem that he should buy a ship with a hot tub to destress in lol. :facepalm:

During my time as a backer (my 'dumb' time), I had argued with that particular enabler as they didn't understand why having toilets and food related items/needs in a mostly spaceship combat game was dumb as gently caress. Not long after that, I became an goon :D

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Regrettable posted:

No, his friend wanted to do it and he told him not to and how stupid it was.

That's right, but to be fair the initial tweet didn't make it clear whether or not he agreed it was a good idea.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

I remember that, the enabler was telling the guy with the addiction problem that he should buy a ship with a hot tub to destress in lol. :facepalm:

During my time as a backer (my 'dumb' time), I had argued with that particular enabler as they didn't understand why having toilets and food related items/needs in a mostly spaceship combat game was dumb as gently caress. Not long after that, I became an goon :D

You guys are thinking about Humility, the backer who posted that he basically buys ships he can't afford because he feels dead inside and has to hide it from his family. Ideally this is where mirificus posts the screen caps because it was a memorable moment in this poo poo wreck video game

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

TonyMcS posted:

IT APPEARS SQ42 IS POWERING ALONG.

I present the following word salad as the latest info on SQ42. Basically it's a list of things not working. However one phrase has been added to the SC lexicon.

Animation
Animation continued R&D into the motion matching tech mentioned last month, including looking at how seamlessly it can transition from locomotion into a usable enter animation. They also looked into interrupt and resume tech for story scenes, which will allow a player to leave a scene, have the characters pause naturally, and start again seamlessly when they rejoin. The SQ42 Feature Team also started implementing a firing range.

They are still working on how to pause a single player moviegame when you enter a moviecinematic sequence. Am I even reading that right? Are they looking into adding a PAUSE feature to the game? I don't think that was included in the kickstarter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No_talent posted:

They are still working on how to pause a single player moviegame when you enter a moviecinematic sequence. Am I even reading that right? Are they looking into adding a PAUSE feature to the game? I don't think that was included in the kickstarter.

No they want to add tech so that when your want to pause the scene then characters wind down and wait for you to return, at which point they'll go back to acting the scene out. You don't to pause and have the characters frozen on screen with their mouths half-open, do you?

Something like "okay, take five, we'll continue this briefing in a moment" kind of crap.

You know, logical important stuff that all games should have.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Solarin posted:

You guys are thinking about Humility, the backer who posted that he basically buys ships he can't afford because he feels dead inside and has to hide it from his family. Ideally this is where mirificus posts the screen caps because it was a memorable moment in this poo poo wreck video game

Holy poo poo, it was Humility, you are correct. :) I hope he managed to get out of the con and get things back on track in his life.

Mirificus, do your thing dude. :)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Posting cause we're back to early days of Thread Development.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sabreseven posted:

I think Miribot is broken at the moment.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Sabreseven posted:

Holy poo poo, it was Humility, you are correct. :) I hope he managed to get out of the con and get things back on track in his life.

I don't know if he managed to get completely out of the con, but at least he found another actual game to play as I did see him posting on the Ubi Anno 1800 forums a couple of times :)

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Klyith posted:

(Also for some reason the edgiest of edgelords are among the last to leave a dying video game community. I don't know why but I've seen it repeated a couple times.)

Once you scam a chud he stays scammed.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

I still cant believe how much money people have put into this game. And everyone cheers when tiny features are added.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

free hubcaps posted:

There's so many red flags, its definitely a cult at this point.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Solarin posted:

lol, my Lakon Asp in Elite was called HUMILITY.

Its ship ID was set to HO-LLO.

Like death.

All its life.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pretty sure this woman was later driven out by sexual harassment, though I might have the story wrong, but it's not like the citizens aren't rather harass friendly

Titanic might remember, where's the Titanic

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Spiderdrake posted:

Pretty sure this woman was later driven out by sexual harassment, though I might have the story wrong, but it's not like the citizens aren't rather harass friendly

Titanic might remember, where's the Titanic

She last posted on Spectrum 5 months ago, FWIW.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Klyith posted:

But also any remaining "actual pros" will be in the UK office where they're mostly insulated from Crobbler, or in Frankfurt where they're even further away. Crobbler's personal domain in Santa monica is where you'd have to deal with the man himself. I get the impression that office is staffed entirely by "game designers", 3d spaceship modeling artists, and the guys who make videos every day talking about how amazing everything is going.

That is interesting I had not thought about that. The value of the Manchester office is Crobert is not there. :v:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

I see where you are coming from, but IMO real "libertarians" don't deal with video games in general, or space sims specifically. They bribe governments to enable criminality, fund propaganda and so on.

Pick one of ~500 US billionaires; they are real libertarians. Fanboys of star citizen/crobo are at best wannabes.

Edit: taxxe:

I have no idea if that was intentional, but the resemblance it is uncanny. :monocle:

[https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270&pagenumber=5#post467914548]

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 8, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Content creators were a mistake

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I am no longer collecting high-temporal-resolution funding data, due to loss of the scripts involved (which was in turn due to idiocy), but the public funding spreadsheet is still chugging along.

A casual look at the daily funding totals is rather interesting. The pattern that I had grown accustomed to from previous observation was that daily totals tended to be low-ish in the absence of exogeneous stimuli (sales events primarily). Thus a large proportion of the total funding was picked up in very extreme sales spikes. Starting in late 2018, this pattern appears to have shifted fairly decisively. Although sales spikes do still occur, as we can see from the minelayer and fingernail clipper sales, the typical daily total was noticeably elevated for most of the first half of 2019. It still appears high-ish to me although I have not attempted a quantitative verification. Perhaps there is a reasonable and benign explanation for this pattern shift, though I am unable to think of one.

For your edification, I have marked the dates of Citcon 2018 and the investor/financials reveal with red lines. Note that I adjusted the y axis to focus more on the lower totals associated with typical daily activity. The high sales spikes are way off the top of the chart.

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 8, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The fidelity was so great that it failed to be much of a simulator at all, essentially just replicating the same kind of arcade gameplay that was the core of Wing Commander (unsurprisingly since SC was just WC-with-fighter-jets). Again, Falcon 3.0 was the actual F-16 simulator of its time and featured a level of simulation that required a maths co-processor to run its high-fidelity flight model mode.

And of course, there's the whole nonsense about how Chris was shaping the industry that he waffled about in the manual, when all his boasting really did was reveal how deeply ignorant he was of computer hardware, software, and games in general at the time. My rant can still be read in the old thread. Particularly fine gems include his misunderstanding how ratios work; his difficulty in predicting whether computers would become more powerful (1993 was the year of the Pentium); and as mentioned, his missing the ball by 2 years in his failed attempts to create a simulator. Oh, and of course his thinking that being inept and ignorant makes him pretty much the same as Francis Ford Coppola.

:suicide:

Chris did help shape the industry to a degree, though. The Wing Commander series was one of the early examples of pushing production values over everything else, so if you see a game that's all graphics and very little memorable gameplay you can sort of thank Chris for that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Ms. Management

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010