Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tuvok I understand, you are a Vulcan man.

You have just gone without for seven years--about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have reached the second Leah Brahms episode in my TNG re-watch and I don't know if I can handle watching it again. Geordi you creep.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Drone posted:

Whoa, is this actually in the works?

I went to Star Trek: The Experience in Vegas when I was like fourteen and I won't lie, as awful tourist trappy as it was, the turbolift doors opening onto the Ent-D bridge was pretty goddamn phenomenal iirc.

Oh come on now, it wasn't tourist trappy at all, it was worth an afternoon just for the couple of rides. The museum gallery you walked through is considerably larger than say, Star Trek: The Exhibition, which sucks rear end

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

I went to Star Trek: The Experience in Vegas when I was like fourteen and I won't lie, as awful tourist trappy as it was, the turbolift doors opening onto the Ent-D bridge was pretty goddamn phenomenal iirc.

My first thought upon walking out onto the Vegas Ent-D bridge was "Is this full-scale?" It seemed smaller somehow than I'd always thought of it.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
They altered it slightly to make it wheelchair accessible, but I don't think they shrank it any.

To be honest the bridge was a tease. You just stood there watching the big TV over worf's back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marktheando posted:

I have reached the second Leah Brahms episode in my TNG re-watch and I don't know if I can handle watching it again. Geordi you creep.

You gotta pretend the computer was going outside its parameters to scare Brahms because the computer loves Geordi, and he was not aware the program was doing this. There's some textual evidence in a previous episode to suggest he never even went back to that simulation after booby trap

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HorseLord posted:

They altered it slightly to make it wheelchair accessible, but I don't think they shrank it any.

To be honest the bridge was a tease. You just stood there watching the big TV over worf's back.

No, the Experience bridge was about 3/4 the size of the original set.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You gotta pretend the computer was going outside its parameters to scare Brahms because the computer loves Geordi, and he was not aware the program was doing this. There's some textual evidence in a previous episode to suggest he never even went back to that simulation after booby trap

Also she basically walked into a full-scale simulation of his browser history.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HorseLord posted:

Yeah. The nice thing about Ticonderoga is you get to spend time in each room, including the bridge, right up close to everything. For The Experience they built this large set that 99% of the time was just used for a bit of a walk on in the "story" unless they were renting it out for photo ops and nerd weddings.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HorseLord posted:

Yeah, I remember going through there as a pimply teenager and being disappointed I couldn't just hang out on the bridge for a while. Still a great experience though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What the what. Star Trek Discovery Writer fired "quit" for throwing around the N-Bomb.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I don't think Geordi was actually railing holo-Brahms (and indeed can easily believe he never went back to the program), but even without the holodeck his behavior in Galaxy's Child is really bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

What the what. Star Trek Discovery Writer fired "quit" for throwing around the N-Bomb.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489

I went into this article expecting one thing and got something else

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Galaxy's Child thoughts- Geordi's date jumper is just too much for me. And then the subdued lighting, music, loving hell Geordi. What are you doing.

Edit- this episode does raise some questions about holodeck privacy. And the spaceship creatures are kind of cool.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 7, 2019

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sounds like he just quit after he got angry at the situation, rather than "asked to leave".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is a real issue as the word has become so taboo for 82% of the US population and everyday language for 18%. It gets hard in an integrated environment to police who is supposed to be shunned for life for using that word and who should never be hassled about it, especially when they're in the same room all day.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I get his argument though. If a black man can't say the word, and the reason is the very existence of it so offends people that it must be erased, what else do we erase?

If the Holocaust offends people, do we stop talking about it?

That's one reason I disagree with former Doctor Who Showrunner Steven Moffat's philosophy about casting POCs in historical English settings. He does it to represent people, to make the past makeup of the country look more like the demographics of the country today. A world where black people and Asians are accepted neighbors, and people are surprisingly tolerant towards homosexuals, etc in Victorian London and Medieval villages.

But the past isn't such a nice place. A lot had to change to get us where we are. And I don't think it's great to teach kids a false idea of how things were to spare their feelings and try to erase how things really were. I'd much rather see Doctor Who speaking truths to the ugly sides of humanity, like "NO COLOUREDS" in Remembrance of the Daleks (for those in the Star Trek thread who don't watch Doctor Who, it was a scene in the 1989 show where the Daleks invade the 60s, and the Doctor and his 80s era companion go back there. In the midst of all that, she's jarred by a sign in a boarding house that says that, and it says something profound about the truth of the recent past, and how the invading aliens aren't the only evil on Earth).

It's a complex subject that goes to both extremes. Some people want to sanitize language and change the past to prevent offence, as if not learning about hate can cause people not to hate. Others feel that anything or anyone from the past that doesn't pass muster in current society must be completely disavowed. I am an American, and there is a growing idea that we need to throw out our founding fathers, like Washington and Jefferson, because they don't meet the ideals of today with their slaveowning and attitudes towards women. I'm not in favor of erasing them or demonizing them, nor am I in favor altering history to pretend they never existed. If the world of 200 years ago is hurtful, do we not discuss it? Pretend it was all horrible and history began in the 1960s? I think we need to constantly reexamine the past and take the good and bad and learn from both.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

what do you think tng would have been like if tasha yar didn't leave the show early? I'm curious what her character development would have been like over the years. I wonder what worf would have done if they couldn't have him replace her as the security guy

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm imagining an alternate universe where he ended up at the Conn instead of Wesley and then transferred to DS9 as an expert pilot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Driving the spacebus is WITHOUT honor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

I'm imagining an alternate universe where he ended up at the Conn instead of Wesley and then transferred to DS9 as an expert pilot.

If that had happened maybe Yar would be the fan favorite they moved to DS9

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Watching DS9 the height of that balcony rail wigs me out. It seriously looked like an OH&S nightmare where anyone stepping backwards not paying attention would trip over the top.

Perhaps they made it for the height of Jake and Nog to sit under in the pilot, not counting on Jake growing 12 feet tall in 3 months time.

Also whilst pointing out uncomfortable DS9 sets, props to the prop department for building a working turbolift but the violent shunt as it throws itself into action or suddenly stopping looks painful for its passengers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

That's one reason I disagree with former Doctor Who Showrunner Steven Moffat's philosophy about casting POCs in historical English settings. He does it to represent people, to make the past makeup of the country look more like the demographics of the country today. A world where black people and Asians are accepted neighbors, and people are surprisingly tolerant towards homosexuals, etc in Victorian London and Medieval villages.

Historical racism, particularly in, say, the Tudor era, is vastly overstated to make "us" feel better about the state of play of things today. The traditional understanding of different skin colours was pretty much just "you live somewhere sunny you have dark skin", and working class racism was essentially non-existent. It's a ruling class thing.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Watching DS9 the height of that balcony rail wigs me out. It seriously looked like an OH&S nightmare where anyone stepping backwards not paying attention would trip over the top.

I'm 6'6 and almost all safety rails are things I can just fold over

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Historical racism, particularly in, say, the Tudor era, is vastly overstated to make "us" feel better about the state of play of things today. The traditional understanding of different skin colours was pretty much just "you live somewhere sunny you have dark skin", and working class racism was essentially non-existent. It's a ruling class thing.

I'm 6'6 and almost all safety rails are things I can just fold over

:hfive: Fellow tall person! My back hurts every time I do the washing up because our sink is just slightly too low for me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Isometric Bacon posted:

Perhaps they made it for the height of Jake and Nog to sit under in the pilot, not counting on Jake growing 12 feet tall in 3 months time.

I may have mentioned this before, but I think in the episode where Jake and Nog try living together, Jake goes to their spot and he has to look out over the promenade wistfully while bent over the railing at a 90 degree angle. I'd be terrified of it collapsing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If they could rebuild the Promenade at Ticonderoga, that would be well worth a visit. That was always my big regret on missing out on the Experience (we cancelled a trip to Vegas in the mid 90s because we were all very blah at the time).

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The_Doctor posted:

:hfive: Fellow tall person! My back hurts every time I do the washing up because our sink is just slightly too low for me.

My children (who are small) know to use a step when at the sink to make it the correct height. So all you need to do is dig a hole in front of your sink. But remember to fill it in for the next person.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

piratepilates posted:

what do you think tng would have been like if tasha yar didn't leave the show early? I'm curious what her character development would have been like over the years. I wonder what worf would have done if they couldn't have him replace her as the security guy

They might've clearly split security and tactical into two entirely seperate positions.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Isometric Bacon posted:

Also whilst pointing out uncomfortable DS9 sets, props to the prop department for building a working turbolift but the violent shunt as it throws itself into action or suddenly stopping looks painful for its passengers.

Authentic Cardassian engineering.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

My children (who are small) know to use a step when at the sink to make it the correct height. So all you need to do is dig a hole in front of your sink. But remember to fill it in for the next person.

Don't fill it, just make a hatch door

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PerniciousKnid posted:

Don't fill it, just make a hatch door

With collapsible stepstool, so you can alter the height up to two feet down or up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like the flat below me might object to these plans.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Astroman posted:

England has never ever been a white monoculture. There was always "moors", going back to Roman times. Apartheid segregationist style of racism was never a thing here, beyond the efforts of certain extremists, which is why your men stationed here in WWII were so shocked and appalled to see us freely fraternize with black soldiers. While the 20th century saw the emergence of overtly fascist movements here, they've always been crushed, not by the state but by the people. The majority of the civil rights work that happened here was much more about trying to get grandma to remember that "coloured" isn't polite anymore, getting harmful stereotypes off the TV, rather than dismantling segregationism.

Astroman posted:

It's a complex subject that goes to both extremes. Some people want to sanitize language and change the past to prevent offence, as if not learning about hate can cause people not to hate. Others feel that anything or anyone from the past that doesn't pass muster in current society must be completely disavowed. I am an American, and there is a growing idea that we need to throw out our founding fathers, like Washington and Jefferson, because they don't meet the ideals of today with their slaveowning and attitudes towards women. I'm not in favor of erasing them or demonizing them, nor am I in favor altering history to pretend they never existed. If the world of 200 years ago is hurtful, do we not discuss it? Pretend it was all horrible and history began in the 1960s? I think we need to constantly reexamine the past and take the good and bad and learn from both.

Those people were objectively terrible, it is not a new modern standard we're holding them to. The KKK, american nazi party etc are the truest american patriots in the sense that their values are the foundational ones of the country. Civil rights are a deviation from that, which is why the government itself spent so much effort attempting to crush it.

I think that it's very strange that you equate demonizing them with "not discussing" their flaws or erasing them, when by definition you need do remember them and discuss them in order for them to be demonized.

Other countries have no problem with denouncing the legacy they are founded on, and starting over. France is on it's 5th republic. Russia is on it's third, Germany it's fourth. Instead you elevate the skeletons in the closet to the level of a religion you practice in parallel with Christianity. Please, at least stop worshiping your constitution and write a new one that's actually relevant to 21st century society, it's loving weird.

I understand what motivates you. As an American you were brought up in an extremely nationalistic environment where your country is not only the most powerful, but also most benevolent, and that any harm it's done was a "mistake" rather than by design. Every classroom has a flag and you have to pledge yourself to it every day. Every football match starts with your brave airforce flying over as you put your hand on your heart. USA. USA. You've been told you're number one and you believe it. If America has a problem, and America is number one, then other countries must also have that problem! Because America is number one! Nobody beats America at anything!

So even though European countries emerged very differently and went through a very different and longer historical development, you still assume they have the same problems yours has. Because to do otherwise implies you're not number one at something.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 8, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HorseLord posted:

The KKK, american nazi party etc are the truest american patriots in the sense that their values are the foundational ones of the country.

The choicest bit of lmao

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

HorseLord posted:

England has never ever been a white monoculture. There was always "moors", going back to Roman times. Apartheid segregationist style of racism was never a thing here, beyond the efforts of certain extremists, which is why your men stationed here in WWII were so shocked and appalled to see us freely fraternize with black soldiers. While the 20th century saw the emergence of overtly fascist movements here, they've always been crushed, not by the state but by the people. The majority of the civil rights work that happened here was much more about trying to get grandma to remember that "coloured" isn't polite anymore, getting harmful stereotypes off the TV, rather than dismantling segregationism.

Those people were objectively terrible, it is not a new modern standard we're holding them to. The KKK, american nazi party etc are the truest american patriots in the sense that their values are the foundational ones of the country. Civil rights are a deviation from that, which is why the government itself spent so much effort attempting to crush it.

I think that it's very strange that you equate demonizing them with "not discussing" their flaws or erasing them, when by definition you need do remember them and discuss them in order for them to be demonized.

Other countries have no problem with denouncing the legacy they are founded on, and starting over. France is on it's 5th republic. Russia is on it's third, Germany it's fourth. Instead you elevate the skeletons in the closet to the level of a religion you practice in parallel with Christianity. Please, at least stop worshiping your constitution and write a new one that's actually relevant to 21st century society, it's loving weird.

I understand what motivates you. As an American you were brought up in an extremely nationalistic environment where your country is not only the most powerful, but also most benevolent, and that any harm it's done was a "mistake" rather than by design. Every classroom has a flag and you have to pledge yourself to it every day. Every football match starts with your brave airforce flying over as you put your hand on your heart. USA. USA. You've been told you're number one and you believe it. If America has a problem, and America is number one, then other countries must also have that problem! Because America is number one! Nobody beats America at anything!

So even though European countries emerged very differently and went through a very different and longer historical development, you still assume they have the same problems yours has. Because to do otherwise implies you're not number one at something.

Have you even seen Star Trek before?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I don't know what planet you're on where the French have ever seriously grappled with their historical crimes...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HorseLord posted:

Sir, this is a replimat

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The choicest bit of lmao

I mean, he's not wrong there.

The only one of your 'founding fathers' who wasn't a complete monster was Thomas Paine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Watching Americans talk reverently about the founding fathers of their country is always kind of creepy, but it's the same here in Canada.