Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I stared into the orb and my wallet grew its own chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you gaze long into the Hot Topic the Hot Topic will gaze into you.

Battle not with poseurs, lest ye become a poseur.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RtNZyLqQk

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I put my hand on the counter at the Hot Topic in front of the counter girl and recoil suddenly.

"YOUCH! That's one HOT Topic!!"

She looks at me and rolls her eyes. I smile wide and my teeth are rotting and yellowed and a nearly visible miasmatic haze of halitosis wafts out. There's a moist schlopping noise as a huge, wet, sloppy turd with tendrils of syrupy translucent slime flops out of my rear end in a top hat and is shaken out of one of my pant legs onto the floor.

"Aigjt fuckhead now where are the Funko Pops"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I asked for a battery for my watch. Guy put a battery into my watch. It was was dead 4 months later.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zeluth posted:

I asked for a battery for my watch. Guy put a battery into my watch. It was was dead 4 months later.

Much like my wife's pregnancy

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZA622_Rjfg

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There is, and it's actually the best place to get certain types of cosmetics, particularly eyeshadow palettes.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t know, they got rid of natural wonders for hot topic where I grew up and it was like the mall sanctuary was gone. It’s like where you go to relax when other stores get too intense. Then it was like an edge lord fest and it changed the tone of everything. People weren’t comforted by new age fluff anymore. Sort of the demarcation of active consumerism. I just want to turn my brain off and buy tacky poo poo that’s psuedo-indigenous to somewhere and world music on minidisc and pretend I’m a monkey in the rainforest in tight pants and think about world peace. Now it’s just pants that look like parking cones and shirts with phrases I don’t understand if people don’t explain them to me. :smith:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You guys, I just figured something out. It's called "Hot Topic" because their merchandize is based around what is currently popular. You see, the word "hot" can also refer to something that lots of people are talking about. So the topics in the store are "hot" in that context. It doesn't actually have anything to do with the temperature of the store as previously believed (which is usually tepid at best).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CPL593H posted:

You guys, I just figured something out. It's called "Hot Topic" because their merchandize is based around what is currently popular. You see, the word "hot" can also refer to something that lots of people are talking about. So the topics in the store are "hot" in that context. It doesn't actually have anything to do with the temperature of the store as previously believed (which is usually tepid at best).

It's actually a misspelling of Hot Tapioca

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I don’t know, they got rid of natural wonders for hot topic where I grew up and it was like the mall sanctuary was gone. It’s like where you go to relax when other stores get too intense. Then it was like an edge lord fest and it changed the tone of everything. People weren’t comforted by new age fluff anymore. Sort of the demarcation of active consumerism. I just want to turn my brain off and buy tacky poo poo that’s psuedo-indigenous to somewhere and world music on minidisc and pretend I’m a monkey in the rainforest in tight pants and think about world peace. Now it’s just pants that look like parking cones and shirts with phrases I don’t understand if people don’t explain them to me. :smith:

Natural wonders was awesome

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's actually a misspelling of Hot Tapioca

That would explain why the Dragon Ball Z messenger bags come filled with pudding.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CPL593H posted:

That would explain why the Dragon Ball Z messenger bags come filled with pudding.

One of life's simple pleasures the handfuls from the Dragonball Z bag as you watch Dragonball Z

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

One of life's simple pleasures the handfuls from the Dragonball Z bag as you watch Dragonball Z

lucky! my invader zim bag came full of cottage cheese

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
It's actually a copy of a British chain called Hot Toppings

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hot Tropics and it's a store dedicated to raising awareness about global warming ironically

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When will Funko Pops go away??? Can someone give me like an approximate year so I have something to look forward to??

I just don't understand them at all I don't understand how that's a thing people buy that it's a thing so many stores sell I look at them like a gorilla looks at a pressure cooker.

Funko Pops are like guns, there are a ton of them of them out there but it's only a small number of mentally ill people that are actually buying the majority of them. Retail is full of them because since nobody really buys physical media anymore outside of specialty collector stuff that is usually sold directly online there's a lot of space to fill in stores now and something that is cheap, has a huge profit margin, has no expiration date or shelf life, and is very easy to ship, stock, and display is perfect for filling it up. Gamestop buying out ThinkGeek so they could focus on selling novelty nerd swag as gaming moves more and more online is also a great example of that.

The good news is that we're probably well past the point of oversaturation for them, Funko went public last year and had its stock bomb and they're currently trying to branch out in more stuff that isn't Pop related. The kind of overconfidence and rapid-expansion Funko has been doing is really similar to what Loot Crate did and they just declared bankruptcy in part because there is a limit to how much landfill fodder fans of a thing will buy and partially because they rely entirely on licensed properties and when they got big enough most people realized they could just sell their own branded lootboxes instead of having a third party do it and take a huge cut.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I miss malls. There, I said it

What's really depressing is seeing all the big outdoor shopping centers that killed malls that were mostly built before the great recession are now reaching the age where they're starting to become neglected and fall apart and start losing big stores in a much more visible way. At least as malls started to die the spaces themselves remained, a bunch of empty identical boxes between a Target and a Cheesecake Factory without even the benefit of being indoors and air conditioned is just bleak.

LadyPictureShow posted:

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaIGXfWPNnM

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
me & my post apocalyptic raider buddies are thinking about setting up camp in an old Coldstone Creamery or Williams Sonoma.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
"hot" means it's stolen or illicit. Every product sold in hot topic was stolen or used to commit a heinous crime. Be aware and God bless

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

"hot" means it's stolen or illicit. Every product sold in hot topic was stolen or used to commit a heinous crime. Be aware and God bless

The word also means really warm!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OR!!!! sexy

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

"Behold my true form!" Madden bellows as the orb grows and encapsulates him.

*boss music begins*
*Orb Madden casts Are you Ready For Some Football*

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

LadyPictureShow posted:

"Behold my true form!" Madden bellows as the orb grows and encapsulates him.

*boss music begins*
*Orb Madden casts Are you Ready For Some Football*

Lmao

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dear god someone start an ORB MADDEN thread.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtZLz7wLrg0

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Pretty much the only malls that don't have a Hot Topic are the super high end ones or the ones destined to be on an episode of Abandoned (or turned into a parking lot)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Literally A Person posted:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Literally A Person posted:

I think you mean a Final Fantasy Football thread.

NFL cornerback Richard Sherman is busy in the off-season, constantly training. One day, on the road to the store to purchase Gatorade, he encounters Antonio Brown face down in a ditch.

Rushing to his aid, he is too late as Antonio passes away in his arms, only able to mutter 'The... the curse...' before expiring.

The curse?! It couldn't be... the same curse that had afflicted him years before? Grabbing his helmet and shoulder pads, he embarks on an epic quest to recruit other noble afflicted legends and rid the world once and for all of... The Madden Curse!

The 'Madden Curse' is an actual thing (sorta)

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...brown-curse-nfl

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 8, 2019

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah they still exist, they're basically the only B&M that sells merch for a lot of nerd poo poo so I pop in there every now and then

(my fiancee got this dope Evangelion shirt there a little while back)

This is actually the last thing I bought there too, to answer the OP’s question.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

remigious posted:

This is actually the last thing I bought there too, to answer the OP’s question.

Bonus points.

I'll make sure to mark them down when I'm by the ledger.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Spencer's and Hot Topic are completely indistinguishable from one another at this point, aside from the sex toy section

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Mr. Bones posted:

Spencer's and Hot Topic are completely indistinguishable from one another at this point, aside from the sex toy section

i feel bad for anyone who has to buy sextoys from spencers.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
absolutely not

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Pretty much the only malls that don't have a Hot Topic are the super high end ones or the ones destined to be on an episode of Abandoned (or turned into a parking lot)

Hot Topic is the new anchor store.

DiggityDoink posted:

i feel bad for anyone who has to buy sextoys from spencers.

Imagine being a person who gets a butt plug from the mall.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I think the Hot Topic at our mall mainly survives because they set it up basically inside of the food court. So everyone wanders in when eating their pretzel.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i don’t know what is the more bizarre cultural relic: Invader Zim poo poo, or The Nightmare Before Christmas poo poo

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

i dont know what is the more bizarre cultural relic: Invader Zim poo poo, or The Nightmare Before Christmas poo poo

ive never seen either of them so they both baffle me

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
say what you will about hot topic but at least the embarrassing teens of my generation didnt stroll around in anime orgasm face shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I shopped at hot topic as a young teen. Well, I mostly just went in and gawked at everything and left without buying anything. I would get gift cards for it at holidays and finally buy up something I wanted. I remember getting a pair of doc martins type shoes with removable spikes sticking out the sides. Got most of my clothes at ross and Marshall's and the thrift store because we didn't have much money. I think I stole underwear from hot topic once. I thought I was cool.