Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
but also the fifth book of the Alexandra Quick series started updating, after like seven years

so far Alex got two wands to replace her old broken one, was essentially declared persona non grata by the confederacy, started dating her muggle friend Brian (it's a terrible relationship that's gonna crash and burn), her older sister is going to open a magic day school for problem students, and now she's visiting the Ozarks with her other sister Julia

it's all written and done already, just updates monday and friday instead of getting dumped all at once, about 60 chapters or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Malah posted:

Joseph and Xander, excellent job covering this dumpster fire. Now let's throw this monstrosity into a volcano and never speak of it again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VjPM5CeWs

Seriously though, I really wanted to draw some conclusions here, but I don't have the time :/

(But I can assume you people have the time and can invest the effort in my place)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why did a guy go "Welp, I guess I'll have to write a version of Harry Potter where Harry is a hyper-pragmatic manipulator" when Sabriel already exists

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mazerunner posted:

but also the fifth book of the Alexandra Quick series started updating, after like seven years

so far Alex got two wands to replace her old broken one, was essentially declared persona non grata by the confederacy, started dating her muggle friend Brian (it's a terrible relationship that's gonna crash and burn), her older sister is going to open a magic day school for problem students, and now she's visiting the Ozarks with her other sister Julia

it's all written and done already, just updates monday and friday instead of getting dumped all at once, about 60 chapters or so

Woah, I never thought that one would come back. I liked the first book but the next three felt as though in an effort to avoid turning the main character into a Mary Sue, the author leaned too far in the other direction, making her too foolhardy and unwilling to keep people in the loop and having to learn the same lessons over and over again. Overall I still enjoyed them enough though and I hope the writer has grown sufficiently since the last one.

Now if only HP and the Natural 20 would come back, after the two measly updates he posted last year following years of inactivity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Monocled Falcon posted:

But since they're not conscious, thinking beings they can't approach the problem directly, they can only amass information and iterate on their 'shards' via an evolutionary design process.
Basically yes, but not for quite that reason. The whole thing is held pretty vague and a lot of the entities' motivations honestly don't make a whole lot obvious sense, but that's at least partly because they're supposed to come across as just far too big and far too alien to really understand how they think even if you know what and why they're doing it. There's a lot that's intentionally never really shown from the inside point of view, as it were.

One thing you definitely got wrong is that they are sapient, but they don't really have a singular or defined mind the way human beings do. Like, consciousness, psyche and subconsciousness, in people those are basically made out of one piece and just what a mind is, as far as most people are concerned. If our mind was an object, it would be a brick, because it stays one shape all your life and you basically can't add or remove anything from it.

By comparison, an entity would be made of legos. One of the weirdest things about the setting is how handing out shards is not the same as handing out tools, it's like handing out parts of yourself. An entity is really only itself when it's complete. Imagine handing someone your ability to appreciate irony, or your skill at interior design. It would obviously change the way you work, and even if these things were able to think for themselves, they'd not really capable of seeing the world in terms of anything but irony or shades of pastel.

So basically, that's what they do, and it's why even Scion isn't actually an entity - he's more the command unit and failsafe. The biggest part, the most complete part, but still not everything of himself. Their mode of existence is the mental landscape that it evolved, is all about finding the right tool for the right job, because it's so easy for them to integrate entire skillsets in the blink of an eye. The downside is that they're not really designed to think creative, to do that "making the best of what you have" thing that people do when there's nothing else to be done. They just don't think that way.

So that's what they're pretty much outsourcing to humanity. Hosts constantly come up with strangely effective ways to use their powers that would never have occurred to an entity, although they're aware that it's fundamentally something a shard ought to be capable of. All they know tells them entropy is inescapable, but they might have thought the same about using long protein chains synthesized by arachnids as improvised triplines, and eventually Skitter's shard integrates that to the point where it does so independently, just because it's such a clever idea.

And if it takes another 3000 cycles until the attempt pays off, then that's perfectly alright by them.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 31, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PupsOfWar posted:

why did a guy go "Welp, I guess I'll have to write a version of Harry Potter where Harry is a hyper-pragmatic manipulator" when Sabriel already exists

What? Are you sure you're thinking of the right thing?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's been a long-rear end time since I read Sabriel but I don't remember it being anything even slightly like that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sabriel is more like backwards Harry Potter: girl goes away from boarding school to learns about friendship and magic. And then she looks for her dad or... something? I gotta admit, I don't really remember. Has absolutely nothing otherwise in common with HPMOR, though.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Sabriel is more like backwards Harry Potter: girl goes away from boarding school to learns about friendship and magic. And then she looks for her dad or... something? I gotta admit, I don't really remember. Has absolutely nothing otherwise in common with HPMOR, though.

Girl at non-magical boarding school finds out her dad is dead (for a given value of dead given that they're a family of Necromancers) and instantly leaves to go find who killed her dad and find out if she can bring him back to life. Total time spent in school is negligible and had nothing to do with the actual school.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The realization that I'm no longer a middle school kid and can just go buy and read all of the Garth Nix books that I never got the chance to because my library didn't have them has been throwing my brain for a loop, lemme tell ya.

I wonder how they hold up as an adult reading them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I meant that in the sense that there's a degree of similarity in the basic premise, not that boarding schools actually play a substantial role in it. I can understand how one would come up in a conversation about the other, is what I mean, although they really don't have much in common at all once you get past that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

The realization that I'm no longer a middle school kid and can just go buy and read all of the Garth Nix books that I never got the chance to because my library didn't have them has been throwing my brain for a loop, lemme tell ya.

I wonder how they hold up as an adult reading them.

sadly sabriel is a bit of a high point for his quality

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a drat shame.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Keys to the Kingdom certainly isn't bad, but it's also very noticeably young adult.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Keys to the Kingdom certainly isn't bad, but it's also very noticeably young adult.

Honestly Garth Nix is mostly worth reading just for examples of settings that are actually somewhat unique instead of ripping poo poo off without being so dense that they're impossible to understand.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Is this story really all that good? I've heard about and I think I tried to read a long time ago. My impression at the time was "Okay, so this is what happens when Harry Potter gets possessed by Richard Dawkins."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lol, no. It is straight trash garbage. This is a mock thread.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Necrotizer F posted:

Is this story really all that good? I've heard about and I think I tried to read a long time ago. My impression at the time was "Okay, so this is what happens when Harry Potter gets possessed by Richard Dawkins."

It's fantastic, but opinions differ widely.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They differ widely between "has awful taste" and "does not have awful taste," hth.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Excuse me, I have awful taste and do not wish to be lumped in with the people who like this fic.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cardiovorax posted:

They differ widely between "has awful taste" and "does not have awful taste," hth.

I get that. And I can see how some people would like the fic. A lot of people liked those Steven Seagal movies like Hard to Kill, Snowball in Hell or Out for Justice where Seagal's characters easily dispatches his opponents (and any sense of suspense or dramatic tension) with great speed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's not too different from that, really. A lot of posts in this thread go into how this story really fails at its own premise (the whole "scientifically investigating magic" angle) and instead quickly becomes nothing more than an extended power trip for the author self-insert. It tends to appeal largely to people who can identify with that to some degree.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I am reminded of that awful Salvation War series.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it's not too different from that, really. A lot of posts in this thread go into how this story really fails at its own premise (the whole "scientifically investigating magic" angle) and instead quickly becomes nothing more than an extended power trip for the author self-insert. It tends to appeal largely to people who can identify with that to some degree.

Speaking as a decades long connoisseur of terrible fanfic: This is terrible even by the standards of extended power trips for author self-inserts.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
But at least it's not the Salvation War.

Now, give thanks to the person who compiled those threads into ebook format, causing the author to abandon the third book in the series before it began.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

90s Cringe Rock posted:

But at least it's not the Salvation War.

Now, give thanks to the person who compiled those threads into ebook format, causing the author to abandon the third book in the series before it began.

Praise be!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Stroth posted:

Speaking as a decades long connoisseur of terrible fanfic: This is terrible even by the standards of extended power trips for author self-inserts.

Hey at least it doesn't have egregious spelling and grammar errors, that puts it above like, 95% of all fanfics

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I am reminded of that awful Salvation War series.

is that the one with the progress missile hitting satan in the chest

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

is that the one with the progress missile hitting satan in the chest

Yes it is. It's the one where all the devils hide under the bed from nukes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which would honestly be a funny and entertaining idea if it wasn't also so soapboxy about the author's own conservative beliefs. I mean, that story tries to make George Bush look effective and charismatic.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Salvation War is proof that even the dumbest hack can have a flash of brilliance. It's a wagonload of the worst trash, but the chapter with the nuke, juxtaposed with its aftermath, is one I remember with honest awe a decade later.

And it wasn't a case of the author learning over time, either. That beautiful moment came immediately after this little nugget:

quote:

Petraeus looked at the operational displays, calculating safety margins and degrees of separation. Yes, it would work. “Sodom, for Gomorrah they die.”

Cardiovorax posted:

Which would honestly be a funny and entertaining idea if it wasn't also so soapboxy about the author's own conservative beliefs. I mean, that story tries to make George Bush look effective and charismatic.

It's not soapboxy at all though? The dude was SUPER conservative, like "jumped out of a Kelly cartoon" conservative, but SW doesn't do anything worse than, like you said, portraying Dubya somewhat sympathetically. Soapboxy would be if he put Bill Clinton in Hell from AIDS or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Just because the guy can do subtlety doesn't mean it's not also an opinion piece, tho.

VVV Can't argue with that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 9, 2019

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cardiovorax posted:

Everything is relative. Compare Dubya to the current POTUS, for example. After all this I kind of want to look up The Salvation War - an impulse I will doubtless soon regret.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didnt salvation war have bill clinton defeat some demons in 1v1 combat?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

According to TV Tropes, at one point he kills a succubus with a shotgun. I did read through the Tropes site on this and it almost made me want to find and read it. Almost. I suspect that it would fall far short of another work set in Hell that I enjoyed, God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think he then makes a joke about not falling for the succubus' evil pheromones and magic mind control because he's married to Hillary

the sequel's worse btw

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tunicate posted:

He walked out of a McDonalds after his morning jog, grabbed a shotgun from his Secret Service detail's car and blew a succubus' head off while she was enthralling his bodyguards.

When asked how he'd seen through her illusions he said that of course he could recognize a soul sucking bitch from hell, he'd been married to Hillary for decades.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's the most American thing I've ever read. I'll admit it, I laughed.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Iirc Obama comes off pretty good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I get the impression nerds just find POTUS being legit action hero-style badasses to be an inherently entertaining concept regardless of politics.