Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For those of you that don't know, I am currently working on a card game based on the dog sport Earth Dog that is much simpler than a game I developed last year about bees called Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer. I want to do a little crowdsourcing on it for some info. The different breeds in the game will have different ratings for the below categories. If you are familiar with the breed, I would love your opinion. I am asking because I am very familiar with dachshunds for these categories, but not so much the others. The categories are:

Grit - The breeds mental endurance when it comes to not giving up on challenges. Could also be perceived as stubbornness but in a more positive light.

Scent - How focused the breed is on using it's nose to find or trust things.

Sight - How focused the breed is on using its eyes to find or trust things.

Flexibility - In the physical sense, how well can the breed squeeze into tight spaces, turn around in tight spaces, make tight turns.

Dig - How well does the breed use its paws to break through or force its way through obstructions.

Bark - How well does a breed vocalize to provide information, intimidate, and call for aid.

If you were to order these 6 attributes from strongest to weakest for a breed, how you would you do so? For example:

Dachushund - Grit, Dig, Bark, Flexibility, Scent, Sight

What is the order you would give for the below breeds, including your thoughts on the Dachshund? Not all of these will make it into the game, but the more opinions the better for this and I didn't want to exclude options for those of you that love these different terrier types!

American Hairless Terrier
Australian Terrier
Bedlington Terrier
Border Terrier
Cairn Terrier
Cesky Terrier
Dachshund
Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Glen of Imaal Terrier
Jagdterrier
Lakeland Terrier
Manchester Terrier
Miniature Bull Terrier
Miniature Pinschers
Miniature Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Norwich Terrier
Parson Russell Terrier
Rat Terrier
Russell Terrier
Scottish Terrier
Sealyham Terrier
Silky Terrier
Skye Terrier
Smooth Fox Terrier
Welsh Terrier
West Highland White Terrier
Wire Fox Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
hahaha this sounds great, the only problem is i'd give pretty much any terrier a perfect 6 on all those attributes because they're overpowered irl

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Indeed they are! But don't think of ranking these things against all dogs, think of it as just terriers vs terriers. I need to find ways to differentiate them via certain attributes so ordering these 6 abilities for them from most present to least for each is the best way I can figure to do that, at least for now.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
ok, some of these breeds i haven't encountered but here are the dudes i know personally. putting sight last doesn't mean they have bad eyesight, just that terriers are mostly sniffers rather than gazers (you want sighthounds for that!). flexibility and grit were also difficult because terriers are brave and tenacious and also really good at squeezing down burrows. but their main thing is sniffing, digging, and being loud.

nesbit37 posted:

Australian Terrier - Bark (!), Dig, Grit, Scent, Sight, Flexibility
Bedlington Terrier - Scent, Dig, Sight, Grit, Bark, Flexibility
Border Terrier - Dig, Bark, Scent, Grit, Flexibility, Sight
Cairn Terrier - Bark, Dig, Grit, Scent, Sight, Flexibility
Dachshund - Bark, Dig, Grit, Scent, Sight, Flexibility
Miniature Bull Terrier - Bark, Grit, Dig, Scent, Sight, Flexibility
Miniature Pinschers - Bark, Flexibility, Scent, Sight, Grit, Dig
Miniature Schnauzer - Bark, Scent, Sight, Dig, Grit, Flexibility
Norfolk Terrier - Bark (!!), Dig, Scent, Grit, Sight, Flexibility
Norwich Terrier - basically the same as the norfolk, they just have different ears
Rat Terrier - Dig, Scent, Bark, Sight, Flexibility, Grit (:3:)
Skye Terrier - Dig, Scent, Bark, Grit, Sight, Flexibility
Smooth Fox Terrier - Scent, Dig, Sight, Bark, Grit, Flexibility
West Highland White Terrier - Bark (!!!), Dig, Scent, Grit, Sight, Flexibility
Yorkshire Terrier - Bark, Bark, Bark, Bark, Bark, Bark
good luck with your game!! :kimchi:

nankeen fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 1, 2019

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Awesome, thanks Nankeen. So many borks!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.
Skye Terriers: Grit, Scent, Dig, Bark, Sight, Flexibility (Based on my own competing with them in ED trials.)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the miniature fox terrier would like to compete

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

the miniature fox terrier would like to compete

g r i t

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

there is a nest of Norway rats just on the other side of my fence and I'm waiting on permission from my neighbors to crack it open and let Butler (and Suzy) go hog wild. should be a good time.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
Sounds like a great game! Don't have any contributions for stats but some of my offroading/overlanding friends have a small terrier and when we're camping he'll go nuts chasing down moles/voles/etc and digging them up and taking care of them. Don't think he got any this year but I know he got a good dozen over a long weekend last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This thread was sort of raised from the grave but the game is in progress! Thanks for all the contributions. It's in rough shape right now but that's how game design goes. Will be a fun little light weight card game for dog (especially terrier) lovers when done. Really hoping I just get an artist that can capture things well since I think it is going to be one of the highlights of a game like this.