Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

cargo cult posted:

is the guy hes running against a full trump fash or what

The secret to Canadian politics is that our "full Trump fash" was Steven Harper but since Canada's typical cultural archetype is a quiet accountant rather than a braying carnival barker or poncey aristocratic twit, and since people over-attribute intelligence and under-attribure lunacy to put-together and quiet politicians, this fact isn't really recognized.

Scheer is a dumb, low-tier bootlicker. His American equivalent would probably be, like, Chris Christie or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Not great, I may be wrong (as Quebec politics is inscrutable even to those of us just the other side of the border) but I don't believe they trade many voters with the Conservatives. It's just another way for the Canadian left to make their votes less efficient, and if you hadn't noticed we're already splitting our votes three ways. In theory they also make a lefty minority coalition less likely, that was certainly true a decade ago when Michael Ignatieff balked at the idea and gave us 7 more years of Harper.

They do! There's a big vein of nationalist "bleus" voters, especially outside greater Montréal, who swing between the Bloc and the CPC, and the Bloc seems to be doing quite a bit of work to target them this time around. Weirdly, the top four planks of their "environnement et économie" policy page are "protect supply management, aid program for our cheese and milk producers, exempting farms from capital gains taxes, promoting and exporting Québec's green energy throughout the world", planks that might as well come from a CPC platform.

Don't forget the Bloc was founded by PC defectors, and that the PQ lost half of its voter base to the CAQ. In government, the CAQ has been poaching with great enthusiasm from the PQ ranks to staff ministerial offices etc. There's long been a tension in the sovereigntist movement between the centre-right and centre-left blocs, and the centre-left-with-racist-characteristics was ascendent for a long time within the PQ, but the right of the party figured out that they could just take power without the rest of the PQ and defected to the CAQ.

Hand Knit posted:

The secret to Canadian politics is that our "full Trump fash" was Steven Harper but since Canada's typical cultural archetype is a quiet accountant rather than a braying carnival barker or poncey aristocratic twit, and since people over-attribute intelligence and under-attribure lunacy to put-together and quiet politicians, this fact isn't really recognized.

Scheer is a dumb, low-tier bootlicker. His American equivalent would probably be, like, Chris Christie or some poo poo.

Come on give your head a shake.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Chris Christie is a thousand times more charismatic than Scheer, who looks and acts as if he has been gently boiling in a pot for the last two decades.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

eXXon posted:

Chris Christie is a thousand times more charismatic than Scheer, who looks and acts as if he has been gently boiling in a pot for the last two decades.

This tracks the idea that the Canadian equivalent of an American politician is not identical, but rather manifests the particularly Canadian traits where the American politician will manifest the particularly American ones.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Hand Knit posted:

He honestly looks like a chubby Paul Ryan. Same dead shark eyes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

He's a milk drinking weirdo. A Ted Cruz that didn't renounce his Canadian citizenship.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

conservative_voter.jpg

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

McGavin posted:

Turns out Trudeau was more into shady ways than sunny ways.

Can't have shade without sun.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

conservative_voter.jpg

Go back to cursed_images

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Seriously. Tomato on a chicken sandwich? loving philistine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
There's a lot to unpack in that hat.

"Make Canada Great Again", a low effort knockoff of American populism, is almost too on the nose to believe.

And that image is not doing anything good for my unfortunate prejudice towards ginger men.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Where is that picture from? I want to do some, uhh, research

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Lassitude posted:

Seriously. Tomato on a chicken sandwich? loving philistine.

:thunk:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jason Kenney’s United Conservative Party government has quietly ordered Alberta school boards to remove the word “public” from their formal names.

Because of course they did.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

xtal posted:

Where is that picture from? I want to do some, uhh, research

Richard Lautens via The Star

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

eXXon posted:

conservative_voter.jpg

loving Chick-Fil-A shouldn't be in Canada. Goddammit Toronto.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Arcsquad12 posted:

They had a location in the Calgary airport about a year ago. Looks like it went out of business.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A fundamentalist Christian restaurant couldn't stay alive in Calgary.

There's hope for us yet.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I live near where it opened and there was a line around the block all weekend.

This loving dumbshit city will line up for literally anything food related no matter how mediocre the food is. Not even rampant homophobia can stop it.

Like come on there's a perfectly good Popeyes a block away AND a block past that is a recently opened Church's Chicken. There's really no excuse for it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1171095423882268673

quote:

May is a practising Anglican and studied to become an Anglican priest before entering politics full-time.

When asked who her personal hero is, May said: "Jesus Christ. Sorry. That's my answer."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God gently caress the Green Party.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Well I’m never voting Green again jfc

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Yeah, they've done a wonderful job of erasing any small bit goodwill I had toward them in this past few months.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

zapplez posted:

Why not both? We can also hate the poor pay and conditions of fast food chains. Chic fill a also pays like poo poo like the rest of them

I just feel like it erases the much more relevant issue; that big business and conservative religious leaders have repeatedly ended up in partnership together over the 20th and 21st centuries. It has happened frequently enough in different times and places that it is hard to think it's merely a coincidence. Appeals to religious and ethnic cleavages are among the most common techniques for preventing for the formation of social and political cleavages along class lines. When business lobbys are faced with a challenge from labour, they often turn to culturally conservative institutions that can plausible offer alternative ways of managing group consciousness.

I think focusing this much on chic fil a is implicitly saying that this isn't just a necessary and basically inevitable byproduct of combining a liberal democratic government with a capitalist economy in a country with a strong conservative religious foundation. At the risk of being overly reductive, I'd like to argue that of course you're going to end up with businessmen and religious leaders working together and advancing culturally conservative causes. The problem here isn't that some specific businessman is bigoted, the problem is that a society starkly divided between a relatively narrow group of business owners and a much larger mass of wage earners will inevitably generate this kind of culturally reactionary politics whenever the workers attempt to get a better deal for themselves.

I guess for me the pedagogical opportunity to emphasis how nominally liberal big businesses are actually directly implicated in the maintenance of social conservatism is diminished if people are convinced that Chic fil a is a uniquely odious business. I think it's more useful to emphasize the extent to which big business is almost inevitably going to be an at least sometimes ally of bigots because irrational prejudices are an extremely useful toolkit in the macro-level struggle between bosses and workers.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Ahahahahaha the petty piece of poo poo LaGrange.

e: I have a feeling this is a holdover from her Catholic board days. My step-dad is in full conspiracy mode thinking they are going to merge the boards without doing the legislative work to remove bishop control.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 9, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Holy poo poo I love the Green Party imploding itself again when there numbers are polling their highest ever. Also who let my grandma run a political party.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/VassyKapelos/status/1171136278211039234
lol

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

I just feel like it erases the much more relevant issue; that big business and conservative religious leaders have repeatedly ended up in partnership together over the 20th and 21st centuries. It has happened frequently enough in different times and places that it is hard to think it's merely a coincidence. Appeals to religious and ethnic cleavages are among the most common techniques for preventing for the formation of social and political cleavages along class lines. When business lobbys are faced with a challenge from labour, they often turn to culturally conservative institutions that can plausible offer alternative ways of managing group consciousness.

I think focusing this much on chic fil a is implicitly saying that this isn't just a necessary and basically inevitable byproduct of combining a liberal democratic government with a capitalist economy in a country with a strong conservative religious foundation. At the risk of being overly reductive, I'd like to argue that of course you're going to end up with businessmen and religious leaders working together and advancing culturally conservative causes. The problem here isn't that some specific businessman is bigoted, the problem is that a society starkly divided between a relatively narrow group of business owners and a much larger mass of wage earners will inevitably generate this kind of culturally reactionary politics whenever the workers attempt to get a better deal for themselves.

I guess for me the pedagogical opportunity to emphasis how nominally liberal big businesses are actually directly implicated in the maintenance of social conservatism is diminished if people are convinced that Chic fil a is a uniquely odious business. I think it's more useful to emphasize the extent to which big business is almost inevitably going to be an at least sometimes ally of bigots because irrational prejudices are an extremely useful toolkit in the macro-level struggle between bosses and workers.

I appreciate your points and I believe they are well thought out, but I think you are wrong that there isn't a benefit to proudly and vocally saying "No. gently caress you!" when a new business emerges in your country that has been publicly anti-gay for years. Yes, we all know big business is bad and its intrinsically linked to the success of right wing governments. Yet, we should still show firmly we as the public wont accept a business that is going to flaunt their hatred of gays.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

"the Leader does not have the power to whip votes" lmao the gpc is a mess

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

If you want to eat at a fast food chain notable for funding LGBTQphobia and you can rationalize it to yourself in this way or that, fine. There are other ways to eat fried chicken that won't reflect so badly on you though.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Why do they keep saying that the leader doesn't have the power to whip votes? What's the point of having a party leader if there's no whip?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

"the Leader does not have the power to whip votes" lmao the gpc is a mess

brucio posted:

Why do they keep saying that the leader doesn't have the power to whip votes? What's the point of having a party leader if there's no whip?

It's a weird central tenet of Greens across the country - they simultaneously say "we're not like other parties, our MPs (MLAs, MPPs) get to vote how they want without punishment from the leader" and "give us the balance of power". This hasn't been really stress-tested in a real way yet - the BC caucus has an agreement with the NDP that they've held up without anyone expressing dissent, but it's unclear if that's because all three MLAs want to uphold the agreement or if because they've been strongarmed, andthe NB Greens are in opposition, but the PEI caucus is quite a bit larger and things might get interesting there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's quite a party you've got there Mrs. May.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Do people really like the idea of party discipline? Whipping votes with the threat of firing democratically elected representatives is a bad thing imo

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Starks posted:

Do people really like the idea of party discipline? Whipping votes with the threat of firing democratically elected representatives is a bad thing imo

I'm kind of of the opinion that if you agree to a party's platform, run under that banner, get elected under that banner.. you're kinda tied to that platform and those promises. If you step out, then sure, why shouldn't you get turfed from the party? You're still an MP. Otherwise, what's the point of a party?

338 independent voices is a nice fantasy but in reality it's pretty unworkable.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Throw Elizabeth May into the lake.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The only time I've seen a Green Party candidate at a debate was in elementary school. He won the crowd by getting us to sing "It's not easy being green" and throwing stickers at us. Years later, I learned that he asked the other candidates for bus change to get home afterwards.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

brucio posted:

I'm kind of of the opinion that if you agree to a party's platform, run under that banner, get elected under that banner.. you're kinda tied to that platform and those promises. If you step out, then sure, why shouldn't you get turfed from the party? You're still an MP. Otherwise, what's the point of a party?

you can see how terrible weak party discipline works south of the border

in practice it just means their vote is for sale to the highest bidder

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

brucio posted:

What happens when the party leader decides to not follow through on their promises? Now the person I voted for either breaks their campaign promise or gets turfed from the party and replaced by someone who will toe the line. See: electoral reform.

RBC posted:

you can see how terrible weak party discipline works south of the border

in practice it just means their vote is for sale to the highest bidder

Could you imagine how much more hosed it would be if Trump could fire republican congresspeople/senators that disagreed with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lol E.may

Man it's gonna be so cool when the Green all "vote their conscience" and help Scheer outlaw abortion and gay rights. loving god dammit.