Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ebola Roulette posted:

^^^ Honestly I think you'll be a lot happier once you just stop making the effort with your mom. Put in as much effort as she does (which may mean you end up estranged because her effort turns out to be none).

PinheadSlim posted:

Ugh, this part kills me. You were so close to severing her from your life and then some Colonel for reasons only known to high-ranking officers and other similar small brained reptiles forces you to re-establish contact. I genuinely hope you don't have to deal with her anymore.

Devils Affricate posted:

Holy poo poo dude, loving sever. Remove this gremlin from your life. If not for yourself then at least for your children.

meat no potatoes posted:

I've had a couple of lawyers, which I was paying for, tell me that I'll only ever have one mother and that this will blow over or settle down after a while. Older, well travelled types who seemed to have life sorted out.

Some people will just never comprehend it. And that's good in a way: They didn't grow up in a dysfunctional family and don't have to deal with it's effects.

That military moment definitely got her back in my life. I didn't really expect these types of responses. I'm pretty conditioned to just rolling over and ignoring her bullshit apparently. She and her husband are definitely still around. They pretend like they're super successful people despite not making much money (barely what we make) and working dumbfuck jobs (we don't even work yet). She teaches 7th grade and he's a low manager at a Target distribution facility in addition to owning their surf shop. All our children's and ours gifts come from this surf shop. They couldn't even live in our house without making lovely comments under their breath to us almost daily about whatever it was they didn't agree with. We live in a basically brand new mini-mansion. I'm not trying to brag about this because I don't care when it's not pertaining to them. I only mention it to illustrate how little of a leg their criticism has to stand on. There's going to be a bunch of super-crazy if I try to sever but honestly I think we're about to that point. My wife read what I wrote and said, "That's at least the tip of the iceburg." My first reaction was that we should move to another state before realizing that I don't need to run away from her any more.

I didn't even mention when I cut her off in 2013. My wife and I had been having problems and I left the house for almost a year in my unmedicated and crazed state to get sober and get help from the VA while my wife did the same at home. My mother had just gone through her own divorce and was renting a cheap apartment. I had no money, no way to make money and no support network except for her. I was on her couch for 3-4 days, making GBS threads myself with the DT's and having seizures, before she became so intolerable I left and didn't talk to her until 2014 when I moved back in with my family. In the meantime I lived in basements, on couches and on the good graces of other people in AA. I haven't attended meetings in a long time but I've been sober for 6 years this January. My mother and her husband still love to drink in front of us (my wife quit too) as often as possible.

This summer they insisted they take our 3 kids for a few days. Our daughter spent the whole time at the trash neighbors house playing with their borderline mentally disabled daughter. The type of 'disability' that happens from severe neglect. She put the two older ones in the loving riptide at the beach despite us both telling them not to ever, ever do that. My mother sent our daughter into the rip to pull the weirdo neighbor girl OUT. They own a surf shop nearby so they think they know everything about said beach despite a medical doctor dying in said rip this summer because he couldn't figure out what to do to get out. Our middle son sipped some beer that was left out and they laughed at us when we told them we were not ok with this. Then they left our middle son for a whole day with my mom's only 'friend' out at the beach who's had the cops called on her BY MY MOM for being a loving crazy.

We're to the point that we both haven't really talked to either of them in months. Her husband has taken lately to calling both our phones for her to tell her we need to do what she says. The last time was because they wanted us to go to a big graduation party for his two early-twenties daughters who just graduated. The one with a BA from a poo poo university and the other with an AAS from a community college after she failed out of the school my wife graduated from last year and I graduated from this year. These two clowns are helpless. The older dropout got married and pregnant and they live on the husbands parents property. The younger one graduated and moved back in with her mom to get ready to go all around Europe with her fiance. We got badgered into the first wedding and baby shower. My mom's husbands ex-wife is always there talking poo poo to and about us.

Here's the best part, no one ever threw us any sort of graduation party. We didn't even have a wedding. We signed paperwork while I was in Mosul, Iraq and she was in a Texas courthouse right outside Ft. Hood. We'd have had no family to show up. My wife's father passed away the year we met and she had to estrange her own mother for much worse reasons. Instead they like to all pretend that nothing happened in the military to either of us. It sure as gently caress did.
Furthermore, my wife and I are both about to start PhD programs but they all just scoff at us because they don't like the fact that we get free school being 100% disabled combat vets. She's in school to become a loving state-certified Psychologist. We're both tattoo'd beautifully, fully and colorfully. They cannot stand this. Through the whole double sleeve process on us both they have bagged on us and talked poo poo the entire way. When I had both hands/fingers completely covered my mother just completely stopped texting/calling me and took all communication to my wife's phone. It's like they have no interest in any of us as people but just as meatbags to fill their lizard-family slots. We don't ever say anything about any of them to them or to our children. They talk poo poo to our children about us while we're not there or sometimes when we are.

Thank you for listening my friends. I know GBS isn't a serious place but this is proving hugely cathartic to me and I don't want to let my baggage cause me to make rash decisions. It's very helpful to be able to reflect this off people who relate. If it was just her and I we'd just walk away but because our kids have always known them it's going to be hard and needs to be final. At the very, very least there are going to be some very harsh boundaries set forth from here on out.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

She put the two older ones in the loving riptide at the beach despite us both telling them not to ever, ever do that. My mother sent our daughter into the rip to pull the weirdo neighbor girl OUT.

If it was just her and I we'd just walk away but because our kids have always known them it's going to be hard and need to be final.

Holy poo poo she could have killed your kids. You need to sever.

You said if it were just you and your wife you would walk, but you need to walk for your kids. Think about all the poo poo your mom has done to you. Now imagine her doing it to your kids, because she will. And also because she absolutely cannot be trusted to even keep your kids safe.

Even if you don't sever, never ever leave her alone with your kids.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh and let me tell you about all the rivers I grew up swimming unattended in. Or getting left alone on the bunny hill for half a day at a time by 4, lift and all. Frequently. Man I could just keep on going. Like her lack of assistance landing me in a warzone. It wasn't really my first choice. I'm pretty lucky I survived her. I'm a good skiier/swimmer at least? Yea. I just sent her a long text message. It's bad when you're breaking up with your mother in your mid-30's and she's in the end only worth a text.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 8, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

You're a real life inspiration. When military life grinds people down they all too rarely build themselves back up to the extent that you are. It sounds like to me that you have a lifelong partner who really understands you, children which you've failed to say even one bad thing about, and "free" higher education (although I struggle to call anything you get after becoming 100% disabled "free").

The only problem I see in my extremely limited view of your situation is your mom, so pardon me if I'm extremely out of line when I say I really really really hope your kids don't have to deal with her too much because if she's even only half as hosed up around them then it's not worth it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

My mother and her husband still love to drink in front of us (my wife quit too) as often as possible.

This summer they insisted they take our 3 kids for a few days. Our daughter spent the whole time at the trash neighbors house playing with their borderline mentally disabled daughter. The type of 'disability' that happens from severe neglect. She put the two older ones in the loving riptide at the beach despite us both telling them not to ever, ever do that. My mother sent our daughter into the rip to pull the weirdo neighbor girl OUT.

Our middle son sipped some beer that was left out and they laughed at us when we told them we were not ok with this. Then they left our middle son for a whole day with my mom's only 'friend' out at the beach who's had the cops called on her BY MY MOM for being a loving crazy.
Just start reading this site. And think about what you're going to tell your kids when they figure out that you knowingly left them in the care of people like this.

quote:

Life here has been up and down
Some contact with ES- mostly Facetime when he does not talk or interact with us

I posted something on my Facebook page that I feel like life is passing us by- that we have not seen our grandson for 9 months and that it makes us sad – which is very true.
My son’s fiance saw it and wrote that they planned to come to visit for Thanksgiving.
I did not reply- I sat there saying oh my, now what?

Last visit was in December. We tried our very best to make it a good visit. We live in a warm climate state- they live in a cold as can be in the winter- we are 1000 miles away

Last time they visited it was beautiful weather- we went to the community resort pool, asked them to enjoy the pool and spa in our back yard. We took them to a mall to see Santa, took them to see the largest tree in the area, bought them lunch every day and cooked home cooked meals that they approved before they came- fiance’ changed a few of the choices- so I abided by what they wanted and cooked meals that they said would suit them. As the baby was only 9 months at that time he slept most of the day and we hesitated to drag them to restaurants as the wait for service here “in season” which is December can be very long. So, we made home cooked meals. They hurt my husband so much by criticizing a dish he made as lacking enough shrimp. Very rude comment by our son. one day we planned to drive to Olive Garden but knew that we needed to be there by 4 PM to avoid a LONG wait as snowbirds wereback- baby slept past that time so we did not go- cooked in house- they seemed annoyed at us.

Last visit I bought a pack and play, a walker, all sorts of supplies for the baby- he was then about 9 months old

We gave them our car and a gift card to go to lunch and told them stay as long as they wanted. They rushed home saying they were sure we didnot know how to care for a baby???We live in a resort community but to be honest it is not Disney World- it is mostly well off snowbirds who come here to drink, golf, boat and do high end shopping and fine dining. it is not a town for people in their 30s! Not an exciting place at all but we gave them some ideas to where to drive and park and perhaps walk on the 5th Avenue high end shopping area to people watch. They came home without doing that.

On the last day of the visit after they were quite sullen and rude on several occasions my son screamed at me twice and ignored me the rest of the time his fiance said that they had a rotten time. We did not meet their “expectations” She ranted that all they did was stay in our house, look at us and it was just like everyday life. They expected “more.” She added that next time they visit she will send a list of expectations so they will not be disappointed. I was quite hurt and frankly happy when they left.

Fiance’s mother when we spoke said the same thing- they thought we gave them a terrible vacation- they expected more and we did not meet their expectations.

So, now they want to come for Thanksgiving.

Well airfares either sold out or so pricey that it is not worth the effort. Most flights to our closest airport are sold out for that period. Traffic here is the pits.

I was thinking of offering to pay for airfare for all 3 in December but I am sitting here thinking about those “expectations” and how hurtful our son was to both of us

My husband is not well- is taking physical therapy for severe shoulder, neck and back pain and actually spends most of his time in bed. We cannot provide any “excitement” and a drive to Disney or Busch Gardens is over 3 hours in different directions. Neither of us is physically able to entertain them.

We both would love to see our grandson BUT we hesitate to have the expectations we cannot meet thrown into our face again.

We both miss our little grandson- he will probably be our only one yet the price of being abused and insulted when they come here is holding us back
Not sure what to do or say. If I say no do not come they will be angry. If I say come they will be disappointed as we did not live up to their expectations.
What do you want to bet the "vacation" consisted of sitting in the house silently watching television nine hours a day?

eta: "took them to see the largest tree in the area"

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

trickybiscuits posted:

Just start reading this site. And think about what you're going to tell your kids when they figure out that you knowingly left them in the care of people like this.

What do you want to bet the "vacation" consisted of sitting in the house silently watching television nine hours a day?

Ha I was literally about to post that and I guaranfuckingtee all they did was sit around her house.

This woman is legit insane and nothing her son does will ever make her happy. If she's half as exhausting in real life as she is online I can see why someone wouldn't want anything to do with her. Here's some more of her posts:

quote:

I just was talking to a friend of mine who knows the whole story with my son- she calls it a “continuing pattern” over the years. We have been friends since our sons were in kindergarten so a long time.
I mentioned that my grandson’s first birthday was May 9. Before this latest estrangement, we had planned to fly out to see GS and celebrate. As we have not heard from ES or his fiance since they left December 7 as they found the visit to our home “not meeting their expectations” as all they did was “sit in the house and see us which was not what they expected ” all untrue as we took them places and also gave them our car along with gift cards for meals and directions to sites to see. So our plans to fly out have been tabled as they apparently want nothing to do with us-
So, we have not made any contact with ES at all. As he wants nothing to do with us, I planned to nothing for my grandson’s birthday.
My friend has said she would go out and buy my grandson a nice present and mail it to their house even if it is thrown in the trash- the rationale being that I am giving them ammunition to dislike me by not sending a gift. She said they will rant that we are uncaring grandparents who did not even acknowledge GS’s birthday by sending a gift if we do not send something. She said by mailing something, they cannot criticize us. I was sending monthly diapers and formula never a word of thanks- but after the lack of contact stopped. She said her DIL does not speak with her and she still sends her gifts for her birthday and Christmas every year just so that the DIL cannot say she does not send her gifts. The gifts are never acknowledged and she continues to send them which I find a bit crazy. I wonder if her DIL thinks she is mental for continuing to send presents which are not even acknowledged? She did the same with her late MIL who put all the gifts she gave her in a drawer and never used them- but she said no one could say she did not give her gifts. I wonder how will I ever know what they say or think as they do not speak with us anyway? So who cares?
Well, every gift I have ever given them as been criticized, belitted and downgraded even thrown on the floor or outright rejected! Very hurtful! Never a word of thanks but surely a lot of criticism. Nothing we can do is ever good enough. Despite us buying them a home a few years back nothing we ever do is good enough!
So, I plan to do nothing. My friend says I am making a huge mistake. I do not feel I am.
My gut feeling is to let it pass and let it be.
I have already been told a I was such a bad mother I will never be in my son’s life. So, what is the use? I can look at the their Facebook pages- they have not defriended me yet I do not as it hurts me so to see photos of my GS as the night before a major hurricane hit my home my son’s fiance who was then pregnant told me that we will “never be one big happy family as her mother hates me and wants to tell me off when she sees me” reason unknown as I have done nothing to her mother- so these words came to pass- we are not one big happy family and never will be.
Seems their mind is made up and we are not part of their plans.
Any advice?

Oh your son never thanks you for any gifts? Oh wait what's this

quote:

After a lot of thought my husband and I decided that our GS is not to blame for ESs attitude. We decided to pick out a gift for GS and have it sent to him. Birthday not for several days but sent it to arrive on time.
Gift delivered yesterday, last night phone rang and ES said he wanted to thank us and FaceTime with GS.
I thought I would be happy but for some strange reason I was not. I realized I do not know the GS I saw on the screen nor do I know my ES. It was like watching strangers on the video. The joy I imagined just was not there .
Conversation was sparse and carefully chosen words used by my husband and I. A sadness cane over me as I felt something was wrong with me for not being thrilled.
The joy I imagined in seeing my GS was not there. I started to wonder if
there was something wrong with me as I was not thrilled over seeing my GS.
We sent the gift for our GS not to hear anything. We did and although happy to know the toys arrived woke up today with a blank slate.
Anyone else ever have such a reaction to what should have been a happy FaceTime?

Jesus loving Christ not only did her son actually thank her but he let her see her grandkid and she's still unhappy.

Then she has the balls to post on Facebook whining that she doesn't see her grandkid so they offer to come see her for Thanksgiving and she doesn't want them to come visit (per trickybiscuit's post)

Like wtf does she want from her son exactly :psyduck:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

Oh, to continue with that insane woman's history, I found a post where a friend of hers severs for talking mad poo poo about her son's fiance while kissing up to her in public:

quote:

I have been trying to reach someone I am friends with for some a few months now. We were friends when we lived in another state- I gave her many things when I was moving as I moved before her and thought we were friends. We have not seen each other since she moved to our state 2 years ago but talked on the phone quite often. She as my facebook friend and suddenly she was gone off so I was worried about her.

Since May, she was off facebook and never picking up her phone. Last time before today we spoke she was going into the hospital for tests and I have been worried about her. Her not picking up the phone made me feel she may be really ill. I sent messages to both her daughters on facebook and got no response. I was thinking perhaps she has passed away? I really was concerned.

In any case I called her again today and she picked up. I asked how she was doing. Her reply was well I blocked you on Facebook and have not answered your calls as you are a two face. I said what? She said I read what you wrote about your son’s fiance calling her beautiful and it made me sick as you told me you had problems with her and did not like her much. She said you cannot have it both ways- you either like her or you do not and you should not call her beautiful. I I said yes, that is true we do not have a perfect relationship but she is attractive.

The posting in question was in May when it was my grandson’s first birthday I posted a picture of my son’s fiance and grandson. I said here is my handsome grandson and his beautiful mom.

In the past I had told this “friend” about problems I had with my son’s fiance- I have had a rough road dealing with her but truth be told she is my son’s choice and if I needed to be in touch with my son right now I would have a much better chance of contacting her and having her answer than my son who never picks up if we call. I have made an effort to take the high road and be nice to his fiance with the idea that being nice to his fiance and trying to foster that relationship will help mend things with my son or at least keep some semblance of normallty going. His fiance is the one who initiates our Facetime which has been a nice thing for us as we live so far away.

This “friend” told me that cannot have it both ways- I cannot disslike someone and then call them beautiful- she was offended by one word on my facebook page. Truth is his fiance is beautiful better looking than I am and much better looking than his ex wife. When she is made up she is very attractive and she looked beautiful in the picture with my grandson.

I was taken aback and did not reply other than to say- well nice talking to you have a good day and I hung up. I sat and cried after the call thinking that maybe I was a two face.

This woman has a good relationship with her 2 daughters. They live near her, she sees her grandkids all the time and posts photos of the happy times. She does not need to try and be nice to anyone to see her grandkids- I do. I thought we were good friends- apparently my saying my son’s fiance was beautiful broke the friendship. I wish I had the good relationship with my son and grandson that she has with her family and I am desperate to do anything to make that happen.

I made an effort to do something nice every day. I call an elderly widow every day to cheer her up. I try and give a good word to whoever I come in contact with- that is me. Not sure if that is wrong- but this person thinks my using the word beautiful was a major crime.

I guess I lost a friend trying to be nice to my son’s fiance.

What do you think?

I like the spin she put on it. I lost a friend for being nice! No, like your friend said, you lost a friend for being a two faced bitch.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
"She does not need to try and be nice to anyone to see her grandkids- I do." Oh lord . . .

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I heard an ad that today is 'National Grandparents Day'. I'm curious if there's going to be an influx of incoherent rants that these posters' demonic daughter-in-law maliciously withheld a visit with their grandchildren on such an important day!

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

meat no potatoes posted:

Since it's often the small, seemingly insignificant posts that others relate to:

Anyone else get made fun of for being too skinny, when what you ate was mostly controlled by your parents? I was called a "biafran" for many years and never heard the term outside of my house. Thanks to Wikipedia I learned that Biafra was a place in Africa for about 3 years, 13-16 years before I was born. 2 million civilians died from starvation there. To me it was just a unique teasing word.

I got the opposite -- My mom was always harping after my sister and I about our weight, even though we weren't overweight at all. Looking back at photos growing up, I was actually a pretty skinny kid, but I didn't realize it. The slightest thigh jiggle, and I would be subject to anger and criticism. She said it was because her own mom was fat and she was ashamed of her. (Looking at photos of her mom, she might have been overweight by 1940's standards but wouldn't warrant a glance at Walmart today.) She would criticize, and then go sit on the couch after dinner munching on jellybeans and potato chips. She even encouraged our older brother to tease my sister and I.

Holy poo poo somehow I didn't develop an eating disorder. After I became an adult and moved a state away, every phone call she would ask, "How's your weight?"

She ended up losing a bunch of weight in her 60's, and ended up developing anorexia herself.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

trickybiscuits posted:

:stare:

Boy howdy this dredged up a lot of memories of "fun" visits with my awful grandmother, right down to attempting to buy my affection with random completely thoughtless gifts afterwards.

Personally my favorite bit was her husband being stabbed in the heart by a mildly critical comment about dinner. I'd loving love to live in a world where that's the most hurtful thing your family can do.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

LadyPictureShow posted:

I heard an ad that today is 'National Grandparents Day'. I'm curious if there's going to be an influx of incoherent rants that these posters' demonic daughter-in-law maliciously withheld a visit with their grandchildren on such an important day!

Here we go!

quote:

Yes it is really a day ,I saw it on my calendar!!! guess I was the only one! Well I got permission to spend the day with my 7 yr old gd..my es started texting me at 7 am” when are you gonna pick her up”, I walked into his house and said Thank-you for letting me spend Grandparents Day with Gd, Es said huh I didnt know and dil shot me a look . So gd and I spent a nice day mostly in the pool at my condo..I called es to say she fell asleep he texted be right there. In my crazy head I thought maybe he will bring me a card??? Flowers??? Ok just acknowledge the day…Well no surprise he walked in woke gd told her to say thank-you He mumbled thanks gotta get going . I stood there thinking to myself let it go,where is my gratitude , I know but he at one time never forgot the day !! no matter how far I think i have come I still think Who the Heck is this person ? Where did My Son go and will he ever return . I know if i shared this thought with him he would say ” there you go being Toxic again! I had to share right now so I dont text him to say You just needed a babysitter I am your mother

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The amount of emotional weight these people put on greeting cards is mind-boggling.

Also, the eternal goalposts-moving of "I just want to spend time with my grandchildren!" -> spends time with grandchildren -> "you're just using me as a babysitter!" I felt a little bit of residual sympathy for the woman who Facetimed with her one-year-old grandson and realized she didn't feel the overwhelming joy she was expecting, because it seemed like a potential breakthrough for her (although it obviously didn't take), but "I begged you to let me spend the day with my 7-year-old granddaughter, spent the lowest-effort day possible with her, and feel used because you didn't shower me with gifts and cards" lady is just obnoxious.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's because these parents/grandparents don't actually want to spend time with their children/grandchildren. The physical acts of spending time with, and/or enjoying their company is not what they are after.

They are after either 1) the IDEA of having a wonderful time as a family together. And the IDEA of a smiling cute grandchild saying "I wuv you nanna", as everybody smiles warmly.
which leads to 2) or they want to bask in the unconditional love and adoration, and respect they feel they deserve for existing as grandparents. So they can say to themselves and others. "look at how good a grandmother I am".

Which is why the lady who got a , (pretty thoughtful if you ask me), facetime and a "thank yuo for the gift", from her son and grandkid felt so flat. She got actual human emotion and interaction, as opposed to the idealized golden radiance she expected. And why the lady who spent Grandparents day with her granddaughter was angry that nobody made a fuss about her.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My Estranged Son (who I see weekly and who let me babysit his child)

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Thanks to everyone who confirmed my assumptions about how parents' wedding anniversaries are celebrated in normal families :v:

trickybiscuits posted:

Okay, the estranged parent in this case is definitely a crazy lady, but I've learned from having such an experience with my parents (wife and I silently watching TV there), and also with a close friend of ours that just happened to be sick when we we visited, to make your own plans. "Sorry you're not feeling well today, we were thinking we might go see the smallest tree, and if we don't do it today we probably won't be able to fit it in since we're going to see the biggest tree with you tomorrow and we definitely want to share that with you [okay, maybe not the last bit]. Want us to pick anything up on the way back?" Or if there's nothing as exciting as big or small trees, "there's this highly-rated burger joint up in the hills" or "we were hoping to go for a drive up the coast, since you're not up to walking to see the median-sized tree, are you up to just sitting in the back of the car for a while [the answer will be "no"] and we'll stop at this cafe we read about?" Worst case: "I think we've all seen this before, but I brought a DVD of something I'm sure you haven't seen before, it's a short film called Doom House." I haven't tried any of this yet and I'm sure my mother will somehow try to guilt us out of doing anything by saying she gets to see me so rarely and it's so nice to have me home but I'll try to come up with some plans, run some scenarios in a war game and see which ones don't end in nuclear winter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plant the new smallest tree in their front yard, ask them to nourish it with their love, and then go in at night with some roundup and kill that sucker dead.

That's what they'll say you did anyway, might as well get ahead.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

I got the opposite -- My mom was always harping after my sister and I about our weight, even though we weren't overweight at all. Looking back at photos growing up, I was actually a pretty skinny kid, but I didn't realize it. The slightest thigh jiggle, and I would be subject to anger and criticism. She said it was because her own mom was fat and she was ashamed of her. (Looking at photos of her mom, she might have been overweight by 1940's standards but wouldn't warrant a glance at Walmart today.) She would criticize, and then go sit on the couch after dinner munching on jellybeans and potato chips. She even encouraged our older brother to tease my sister and I.

Holy poo poo somehow I didn't develop an eating disorder. After I became an adult and moved a state away, every phone call she would ask, "How's your weight?"

She ended up losing a bunch of weight in her 60's, and ended up developing anorexia herself.
While people mention anorexia, this type of emotional abuse can just trigger more overeating as well. If a child (especially girls in this case) is always criticized for what they eat, how much, how little they exercise, etc then they are going to develop hangups. I'm not talking about constructive criticism here, but rather the parent weaponizing every attempt to tear down their daughter. I guess people think 'tough love' motivates people to try harder, but in reality it just motivates them to avoid criticism one way or another. Several people I know who struggled with being overweight as children and adults spoke of childhoods where they were both expected to 'clean their plate' yet got poo poo on for doing so :psyduck:. In response, they said they used to overeat 'out of spite' just to piss their parents off even more. This might sound counterproductive, but in a lot of cases it is one of the few ways they can exert control in the situation.

And when these people become adults, they can still struggle with food issues even when their parents are completely out of the picture because they spent so many formative years dealing with all the bullshit that it really gets imprinted on your brain. I think at least some picky eaters went through abuse during mealtimes. If the way to try to get their kid to eat broccoli involves screaming at them and making them sit at the table for hours, it's no wonder they don't want to eat anything other than chicken tendies - there's so much anxiety about trying something unfamiliar or unusual that when you finally have full control of what you want to eat, you don't branch out in that case.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's because these parents/grandparents don't actually want to spend time with their children/grandchildren. The physical acts of spending time with, and/or enjoying their company is not what they are after.

They are after either 1) the IDEA of having a wonderful time as a family together. And the IDEA of a smiling cute grandchild saying "I wuv you nanna", as everybody smiles warmly.
which leads to 2) or they want to bask in the unconditional love and adoration, and respect they feel they deserve for existing as grandparents. So they can say to themselves and others. "look at how good a grandmother I am".

Which is why the lady who got a , (pretty thoughtful if you ask me), facetime and a "thank yuo for the gift", from her son and grandkid felt so flat. She got actual human emotion and interaction, as opposed to the idealized golden radiance she expected. And why the lady who spent Grandparents day with her granddaughter was angry that nobody made a fuss about her.
This makes so much sense. They don't want to have to go to any effort for anyone else, even the effort of maintaining a relationship.

Anyway, I think Google News is profiling me. Narcissists don't think as critically as they think: UW study

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well. I did it. My wife and I cut ties with my mother and her husband. Thank you for the support. It's pretty weird coming out of the FOG in real time. I weirdly feel a lot better after that decision and not worse. Starting to see the exact same rage and confused depression in our children after each visit with her was getting way too familiar. Reading in to the matter all day today has made me realize I really need to get her away and start taking better care of myself and our family.

Weird tangential question: Did anyone else's narcissistic parent's abusively and publicly call them "spoiled" all the time? Mine did. I still get twitchy thinking about it.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 10, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on doing the right thing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Well. I did it. My wife and I cut ties with my mother and her husband. Thank you for the support. It's pretty weird coming out of the FOG in real time. I weirdly feel a lot better after that decision and not worse. Starting to see the exact same rage and confused depression in our children after each visit with her was getting way too familiar. Reading in to the matter all day today has made me realize I really need to get her away and start taking better care of myself and our family.

Weird tangential question: Did anyone else's narcissistic parent's abusively and publicly call them "spoiled" all the time? Mine did. I still get twitchy thinking about it.

This is the mother that is going to become a psychologist right?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My (non-estranged) parents moved recently, and they claim their new backyard has the biggest tree in town. Next time I visit, I'm gonna have to find the smallest and median-sized trees, for a proper survey

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This is the mother that is going to become a psychologist right?

That's my wife. My mother has taught 7th grade literature arts for 20 years.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Congratulations. There are enough good people in the world that you don't have to waste your time and emotion on bad people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

That's my wife. My mother has taught 7th grade literature arts for 20 years.

Oh good I was really worried that the mother was going to become the worst psychologist in the world.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sarah Palin and her Husband Todd are finally getting divorced. I can't help but wonder if we'll ever see some posts from her about being estranged from her children Bristol, Trig, Flap, Willow, Groot , Piper, Keg and Track.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Good on you, you did the right thing

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Disclaimer: long, e/n, may have posted the short version already

Took us 20 years but my mother finally realized in May how incredibly wrong and abusive and gaslighting my stepdad was, after my 19-year-old son punched him in the teeth

It took her until August to use the word "abusive", and until last week to finally crack and rewrite her statement to the court (because of course the cops blamed my kid and not his abuser, because rear end in a top hat is over 65) to include the times he hit her and talk about his abuse.

She still thinks my son should apologize so rear end in a top hat will "make it go away". :decorum: is more important than standing your ground against abuse.

Not a loving chance. Even after he's lost his marriage and his "grandson" - who refuses to use his name now, and has PTSD symptoms and panic attacks, thanks fuckbag, 19-year-old me is so grateful you were there to "help" my mother raise him when I had a massive breakdown, all I wanted was for y'all not to gently caress him up worse than my crazy rear end would have - he still thinks he deserves an apology for being an abusive fash that got what he deserved.

Boy, luckily, flat out refuses to do any such thing and both of us are on the "if I see his face again he's not leaving under his own power" train. I love my mother and she's amazingly supportive and helpful and really genuinely cares about people, and that's the problem, she believes everyone has good intentions. rear end in a top hat may have had good intentions but until they lead him into hell where he belongs he's getting bashed like the loving fash he is

on the bright side Boy went from echoing "haha TRUMP" in 2015 to surprisingly full-fledged comrade courtesy of Fash Granddad so as usual, the kids are in fact alright

I just wish I'd had the balls to punch that fuckhead 20 years ago, but even I didn't know how deep the roots of this poo poo were until the fight brought everything bubbling to the surface. I always kept the faith by assuming, and being told, that Boy had such a good life there with them in their big house with the dogs and the yard, and that's what I saw when I was with them, because like most career assholes, rear end in a top hat is very good at appearing charismatic and personable to people who don't have to live with him. I saw through him on some level at 17 and bailed, but y'know, inherently I'm a coward I guess and I always thought the way he treated me was personal dislike for being a mouthy teenager when he married my mom. Been doubting a lot about myself lately after all this came out though. How do you reconcile being loving gaslit and lied to for years with the knowledge that you allowed it based on the premise that it was obviously better than you could do as a single broke teenager. How do you come to terms with feeling responsible for it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheKennedys posted:

Disclaimer: long, e/n, may have posted the short version already

Took us 20 years but my mother finally realized in May how incredibly wrong and abusive and gaslighting my stepdad was, after my 19-year-old son punched him in the teeth

It took her until August to use the word "abusive", and until last week to finally crack and rewrite her statement to the court (because of course the cops blamed my kid and not his abuser, because rear end in a top hat is over 65) to include the times he hit her and talk about his abuse.

She still thinks my son should apologize so rear end in a top hat will "make it go away". :decorum: is more important than standing your ground against abuse.

Not a loving chance. Even after he's lost his marriage and his "grandson" - who refuses to use his name now, and has PTSD symptoms and panic attacks, thanks fuckbag, 19-year-old me is so grateful you were there to "help" my mother raise him when I had a massive breakdown, all I wanted was for y'all not to gently caress him up worse than my crazy rear end would have - he still thinks he deserves an apology for being an abusive fash that got what he deserved.

Boy, luckily, flat out refuses to do any such thing and both of us are on the "if I see his face again he's not leaving under his own power" train. I love my mother and she's amazingly supportive and helpful and really genuinely cares about people, and that's the problem, she believes everyone has good intentions. rear end in a top hat may have had good intentions but until they lead him into hell where he belongs he's getting bashed like the loving fash he is

on the bright side Boy went from echoing "haha TRUMP" in 2015 to surprisingly full-fledged comrade courtesy of Fash Granddad so as usual, the kids are in fact alright

I just wish I'd had the balls to punch that fuckhead 20 years ago, but even I didn't know how deep the roots of this poo poo were until the fight brought everything bubbling to the surface. I always kept the faith by assuming, and being told, that Boy had such a good life there with them in their big house with the dogs and the yard, and that's what I saw when I was with them, because like most career assholes, rear end in a top hat is very good at appearing charismatic and personable to people who don't have to live with him. I saw through him on some level at 17 and bailed, but y'know, inherently I'm a coward I guess and I always thought the way he treated me was personal dislike for being a mouthy teenager when he married my mom. Been doubting a lot about myself lately after all this came out though. How do you reconcile being loving gaslit and lied to for years with the knowledge that you allowed it based on the premise that it was obviously better than you could do as a single broke teenager. How do you come to terms with feeling responsible for it?

This all sounds good, but I'm having trouble following the events.

You had your mom raise your son, and at 19 he punched your stepdad in the face because he's a Nazi? What was the argument?

Then there's some court stuff with too many pronouns which I can't decipher who does what.

If it's just me, that's ok too.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Well. I did it. My wife and I cut ties with my mother and her husband.

Good! I hope things improve from here out. Best wishes on everything that happens from here out.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I have cousins who dealt with that, and I feel like I should check in with them now that I think about it. Similarly, I had a boyfriend who called me "selfish" all the time, which...I dunno who here has met me, but no one else has ever called me that? So...it took a while to realize he was projecting his ex-wife's attitudes onto me, but in between was a lot of time spent in therapy going over my own actions before my therapist finally called me out and said, "Why do you believe him?"

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

How do you reconcile being loving gaslit and lied to for years with the knowledge that you allowed it based on the premise that it was obviously better than you could do as a single broke teenager. How do you come to terms with feeling responsible for it?

I dunno friendo but let me know cuz boy howdy... you and I are up the same poo poo creek right there. :stare:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Beachcomber posted:

This all sounds good, but I'm having trouble following the events.

You had your mom raise your son, and at 19 he punched your stepdad in the face because he's a Nazi? What was the argument?

Then there's some court stuff with too many pronouns which I can't decipher who does what.

If it's just me, that's ok too.

I'm not good at writing all of it out yet, I'm sorry. It's all really fresh still. Boy lived with my mom for most of his life for reasons mostly related to me being a crazy person, and then because I got convinced I was basically useless by my stepdad so he could minimize my "bad influence". I live close by, less than five miles, and have for more than half of that time. Once Boy wasn't a minor anymore, he started standing up to my stepdad and finally punched him, which led to the court case (for elder abuse). Ultimately it came out that rear end in a top hat had been every form of abusive that whole time, and now my kid has PTSD and panic attacks even though we're in the process of memory holing rear end in a top hat (and lots of therapy). My mother is more concerned with decorum and keeping everyone happy than taking Boy's cracking mental state seriously :(

Idk, I wasn't going to post because I'm a coward and it's a clear "already NC obviously" situation, but someone mentioned abused kids having memories bubbling up like they're happening right now, because the kid never processed them, and it's happening to Boy. This thread has been a safe place for a lot of people and idk, I just wanted to get it out there out loud I guess

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TheKennedys posted:

I'm not good at writing all of it out yet, I'm sorry. It's all really fresh still. Boy lived with my mom for most of his life for reasons mostly related to me being a crazy person, and then because I got convinced I was basically useless by my stepdad so he could minimize my "bad influence". I live close by, less than five miles, and have for more than half of that time. Once Boy wasn't a minor anymore, he started standing up to my stepdad and finally punched him, which led to the court case (for elder abuse). Ultimately it came out that rear end in a top hat had been every form of abusive that whole time, and now my kid has PTSD and panic attacks even though we're in the process of memory holing rear end in a top hat (and lots of therapy). My mother is more concerned with decorum and keeping everyone happy than taking Boy's cracking mental state seriously :(

Idk, I wasn't going to post because I'm a coward and it's a clear "already NC obviously" situation, but someone mentioned abused kids having memories bubbling up like they're happening right now, because the kid never processed them, and it's happening to Boy. This thread has been a safe place for a lot of people and idk, I just wanted to get it out there out loud I guess

It's good that you're finding this out and getting him help as soon as you can. I hope you and Boy can start healing soon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

someone posted:

one day we planned to drive to Olive Garden but knew that we needed to be there by 4 PM to avoid a LONG wait as snowbirds wereback- baby slept past that time so we did not go- cooked in house- they seemed annoyed at us.
This is one of those rare cases where there's actually enough information to figure out what actually happened. The children want to go out for dinner. The parent won't go anywhere but Olive Garden. Kids reluctantly agree. Parent says "Oh, but we have to be there by 4pm to beat the crowds." Kids, entirely understandably, don't want to have dinner at 4pm, especially not if their young child is sleeping at that time. Parent still refuses to consider any other restaurant. Parent, who has clearly lost all touch with normal human society, can't figure out why they wouldn't just wake the baby up to go have dinner at a crappy chain restaurant in the middle of the afternoon, especially when they were the ones who wanted to go out so badly!

A perfect example of "OK, we'll do the thing you want to do, but only if we compromise by doing it in a way you'll hate so that no one's happy."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Babies just don't appreciate Olive Garden i guess.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

TheKennedys posted:

Thanks for clearing it up. Good luck with getting past all this.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Babies just don't appreciate Olive Garden i guess.

I mean they can't eat enough salad and bread sticks to really make it worth it. Having them just spit on that Italian generosity is a huge embarrassment.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Tiggum posted:

This is one of those rare cases where there's actually enough information to figure out what actually happened. The children want to go out for dinner. The parent won't go anywhere but Olive Garden. Kids reluctantly agree. Parent says "Oh, but we have to be there by 4pm to beat the crowds." Kids, entirely understandably, don't want to have dinner at 4pm, especially not if their young child is sleeping at that time. Parent still refuses to consider any other restaurant. Parent, who has clearly lost all touch with normal human society, can't figure out why they wouldn't just wake the baby up to go have dinner at a crappy chain restaurant in the middle of the afternoon, especially when they were the ones who wanted to go out so badly!

A perfect example of "OK, we'll do the thing you want to do, but only if we compromise by doing it in a way you'll hate so that no one's happy."
But it's Olive Garden! What are they supposed to do, go someplace that serves food they're not 100% used to that might have actual flavor? Someplace unfamiliar? A NON-CHAIN RESTAURANT?!!

It's depressing. They apparently live right by the ocean, but something like a dolphin-watching cruise or snorkeling doesn't occur to them. What kind of lives do these people lead? Why even pay to live by the beach when you could live the same life on an isolated house in the wilderness, fifty miles from everything else around you, with a paper bag on your head so you never see anything? Do these people even really exist?

I feel pretty bad for the son and daughter-in-law who traveled so far with a baby to sit in a house staring at the wall with people who can't be bothered to find a decent seafood restaurant AT THE BEACH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's good that you're finding this out and getting him help as soon as you can. I hope you and Boy can start healing soon.

Unfortunately, Boy and Kratos still have many battles ahead.