Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

coolanimedad posted:

Any of you have experience in growing figs indoors? I live on the shore of Lake Michigan and want to grow a tree in my apartment. I’m not sure which cultivar is suitable.

Yeah, they aren't incredibly happy indoors. You'll be able to keep it alive, but if your goals are something like Min Hsuan Lo's ficus you will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I've been interested in bonsai trees for a long time, but only recently decided to take the plunge after having been somewhat successful in not killing a few houseplants. I figured I'd share my two little trees and ask some questions.

I bought this Juniper in the Springtime and it seems to be doing well despite me keeping it indoors all Summer. I want to transition it to outdoors so I don't kill it...should I just put it out on my deck? My other question is Wintering it, I have an un-insulated sunroom attached to my house, it almost gets as cold as outside, but not quite, does this sound acceptable? Or would putting it in my shed where there's no light be better?

My second bonsai I just bought from a guy who sells out of his van every Sunday, it's a snow rose, and from my understanding it should be okay inside? Maybe next Summer I'll put it outside, then bring it back in for the winter. Also, is there any functionality to the little rocks and moss on bonsai planters? Like should I get some on the exposed soil asap to reduce watering or something? I'm quite pumped about this one, three little flowers have bloomed since I brought it home.

The guy I bought it from had some pretty nice specimens.

I'd also like to go to a nursery one day and get some small shrubs/trees, like a boxwood and maybe a Japanese maple. Are there any tips or recommended guides I should look at for converting something like a boxwood to a nice bonsai? I'd imagine at this point in the season I would just try and keep it alive, then possibly hack it up next spring?? Thanks.

edit: Are there any good bonsai books I should look into getting? For either beginners or general care.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 3, 2019

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
1) Outdoors asap.
2) Shed, no light, when temperatures drop below 30F. Just a guess, I've had bad luck with JPN but have been successful with most of the other juniper species used in bonsai.
3) Serissa like lots of water. Leave it outside now until it gets below 50F. Take out all the bullshit rocks, there's no need for them.
4) That guy does not have nice specimens, and is probably overcharging you.
5) Boxwood blight is very real right now and is probably not a great time to invest in practicing with them. Where are you located?
6) Get a teacher. Books are a good supplement, but a poor primary source of instruction. They only make sense in light of practical experience.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

where do you live that you're buying random bonsai out of the back of a van?
The snow rose is pretty :peanut:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I've seen people overcharge hustle bonsai in California a few times on the side of the road

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bonsai hustling is not a term i'd ever think i would see but here we are.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks, shows how much of a beginner I am. I am in Toronto, zone 6.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

silicone thrills posted:

Bonsai hustling is not a term i'd ever think i would see but here we are.

It's like the white van parking lot stereo hustle except I havent fallen for the bonsai hustle :smith:

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Pretty happy with this privet progression. Link because I don't want to resize all these fukken images.

https://imgur.com/a/qgDblKJ

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My girlfriend's ash is going wild now that it is warming up

Need to fertilize it

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Crocoduck posted:

Pretty happy with this privet progression. Link because I don't want to resize all these fukken images.

Awwwww you chopped all the mushrooms off.

I bought a hinoki to donate to a fundraising auction and after one week I wanna keep it now.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

I forget, do you have an idea what you're going for?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

fuzzy_logic posted:

Awwwww you chopped all the mushrooms off.

I bought a hinoki to donate to a fundraising auction and after one week I wanna keep it now.

Mushrooms had to go unfortunately, they were rotting the trunk. Hinoki are great!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I forget, do you have an idea what you're going for?

Yeah in general. The longer branches are sacrifice branches meant to thicken them up before I chop them back.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Yeah in general. The longer branches are sacrifice branches meant to thicken them up before I chop them back.

Cool thanks I'm excited to see it develop!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The ash continues

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

The ash continues

That is looking very nice indeed.

Has anyone ever grown banana bonsais? My mum bought me a packet of 100 seeds from some place in China so it should be interesting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bessantj posted:

That is looking very nice indeed.

Has anyone ever grown banana bonsais? My mum bought me a packet of 100 seeds from some place in China so it should be interesting.

From what I’ve seen of the growth habit of banana, it should be interesting.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Spruce got tuned up. Been working on this one a while.

Nother spruce got tuned up. Worked with my teacher extensively on both of these. He says my wiring's getting better which is cool. My ability to construct pads has also grown - I can set them up pretty quickly to his liking. My structural wiring and design choices still lag though. I need practice.

Started some part time work wiring at a local bonsai garden, so that should be a good source of it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Progress on my root over brick

I am having to move again soon, so I'm just keeping a watering eye on it

Slowly taking more and more foil off and letting the roots harden and deepen

It is looking happy and loving this spring sun

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 2, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Spruce got tuned up. Been working on this one a while.

Nother spruce got tuned up. Worked with my teacher extensively on both of these. He says my wiring's getting better which is cool. My ability to construct pads has also grown - I can set them up pretty quickly to his liking. My structural wiring and design choices still lag though. I need practice.

Started some part time work wiring at a local bonsai garden, so that should be a good source of it.

How old are those trees, do you know?

Looking good Jestery.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Thanks man, it's dumb but it keeps me happy :downs:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

Thanks man, it's dumb but it keeps me happy :downs:

And it does look good. My trees look a mess at the moment the weather has been terrible. I like the ornamental stones you have in your pot on the left of the picture.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

For what it's worth this is the jade, and his growth since April

April

Now

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
[quote="bessantj" post="498778840"]
How old are those trees, do you know?/quote]

Probably 80-100. Old yamadori spruce.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

For what it's worth this is the jade, and his growth since April

April

Now

It looks nice.

Crocoduck posted:

bessantj posted:

How old are those trees, do you know?

Probably 80-100. Old yamadori spruce.

Must have such history around it.

I have just planted seven crab apple seeds so hoping something comes from them.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

So school me here: Is the plan to repot this with its present orientation, or to temporarily bias its growth by tilting and then ultimately repot the same way its currently potted?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The leaves might a little big but has anyone heard of someone doing madrone bonsai? They're one of my favorite trees and I'd love to see one

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Hubis posted:

So school me here: Is the plan to repot this with its present orientation, or to temporarily bias its growth by tilting and then ultimately repot the same way its currently potted?

I'll definitely repot next year at the present orientation, biasing the growth is just a welcome side effect. Mostly it's so that I can style it perfectly while I'm working on it - but I've got the extra pot laying around so why not leave it in there for my appreciation?

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012
Here is my garden's official welcoming tree. I've just repotted it, but I think I can style it up this weekend.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very nice, I really like the trunk.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Whose up for some awful pics of my crab apple's apples? Well tough (the first one is worse than I thought :blush:)

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

Before/after on my friend's juniper. He owns a bonsai shop and is giving me store credit to work on his trees. It's a great chance for me to practice. My teacher wired this tree up previously, but the detail wire had been removed. It was interesting to go through and arrange the pads - I could see what my teacher intended with each 'module' of the tree (or at least I think I could - he'll probably yell at me). For the first time I was working with him without his direct supervision, and so it forced me to arrange the apex myself, but with a bit of guidance. I feel like I learned a lot on this tree. I think it came out OK.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Before/after on my friend's juniper. He owns a bonsai shop and is giving me store credit to work on his trees. It's a great chance for me to practice. My teacher wired this tree up previously, but the detail wire had been removed. It was interesting to go through and arrange the pads - I could see what my teacher intended with each 'module' of the tree (or at least I think I could - he'll probably yell at me). For the first time I was working with him without his direct supervision, and so it forced me to arrange the apex myself, but with a bit of guidance. I feel like I learned a lot on this tree. I think it came out OK.

That looks nice. How long have you been doing the cutting and shaping? I am going to have a go with my crab apple once the weather gets a bit better, just hope I don't kill it.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

bessantj posted:

That looks nice. How long have you been doing the cutting and shaping? I am going to have a go with my crab apple once the weather gets a bit better, just hope I don't kill it.

Your crabapple looks great - I've no experience with fruiting trees. This was probably eight hours of work - my buddy is willing to let me come over and just wire trees for him all day. It helps us both out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

Your crabapple looks great - I've no experience with fruiting trees. This was probably eight hours of work - my buddy is willing to let me come over and just wire trees for him all day. It helps us both out.

That's good of him, I've been given a book called "Practical Bonsai Projects" I'm hoping there will be some help in there.

Crocoduck
Sep 25, 2012

bessantj posted:

That's good of him, I've been given a book called "Practical Bonsai Projects" I'm hoping there will be some help in there.

What are you looking to achieve with the tree? Thickening the trunk, increasing ramification, setting branch structure?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Crocoduck posted:

What are you looking to achieve with the tree? Thickening the trunk, increasing ramification, setting branch structure?

I think setting branch structure. There's one newish branch that just sticks out above all the others that I think I should get rid of.

EDIT: I also have an azalea that I think is a satsuki azalea that is very young and just looks like a bit of a twig, so I'm hoping that grows well over the next few years. I'm not sure if I should just leave it for the moment and look to shape it later when it has grown.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 10, 2019

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Flowering quince doing its thing:

Not sure if this is actually chojubai or regular quince, but it's nice to have some color in the fall :kimchi:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Looks lovely. Nice colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oooo

Would love to have a flower or fruit from something I kept

Very cool!