Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Final trailer for the Shining Sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOzFZxB-8cw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Joker just won the Golden Lion for Best Film at the Venice Film Festival.

Roma won in 2018, The Shape of Water in 2017.

Joker wins Best Foreign Language Film, representing Society.

Also here's Brad Pitt vs moon pirates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stOVFXuyyWQ

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

you know what movie was really good? The Shining.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ehhh, yeah, it seems like they're trying to turn it into some kind of psychic war good vs. evil superheroish movie? Bleh.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Ehhh, yeah, it seems like they're trying to turn it into some kind of psychic war good vs. evil superheroish movie? Bleh.

All of King's novels devolve into that if you give them enough time

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The MSJ posted:

Joker wins Best Foreign Language Film, representing Society.

Also here's Brad Pitt vs moon pirates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stOVFXuyyWQ

I like the idea of low gravity car chases, makes all the crashes that much more dramatic.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A second trailer for The Lighthouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_UHhpq530

I will be shocked if this isn't my favorite movie of the year.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ehud posted:

A second trailer for The Lighthouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_UHhpq530

I will be shocked if this isn't my favorite movie of the year.

"Gorgeous" is a word that gets thrown around a lot too much, but this is flat-out jaw dropping.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was so completely sold by the first trailer that I don't want to watch or read a second more about The Lighthouse. I just want it inside my body.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

it's not a good idea to get this excited about a movie imo, nothing good comes of overly high expectations

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Vegetable posted:

it's not a good idea to get this excited about a movie imo, nothing good comes of overly high expectations

:what:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

I was mega hype for his last movie and The VVitch totally lived up to it, soooo... I'm gonna!!!

edit-- And the TIFF/Cannes reviews have been great

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

It'll be interesting to see if they make the psychic vampire thing more important because IIRC they're barely in the book. Only really coming into focus for the very end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vegetable posted:

Anticipation of something good is a risk you have to take because when it pays off it's all the sweeter.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Jack's Flow posted:

Joker just won the Golden Lion for Best Film at the Venice Film Festival.

Roma won in 2018, The Shape of Water in 2017.

Oh boy I can’t wait for marvel blockbusters to dominate the summer and then “serious” comic book movies dominating the fall and winter.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/joker-movie-review-2019

If that review is any indication I’m going to loving hate this film and it’s going to be held up by comic book dorks as an example of comic book movies dealing with “serious” subject matter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chuka Umana posted:

Oh boy I can’t wait for marvel blockbusters to dominate the summer and then “serious” comic book movies dominating the fall and winter.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/joker-movie-review-2019

If that review is any indication I’m going to loving hate this film and it’s going to be held up by comic book dorks as an example of comic book movies dealing with “serious” subject matter.

Gross. Not seeing it. I don't care. gently caress anyone who brings it up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

gently caress anyone who brings it up.

You're going to have a hard time over the next six months or so.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seeing this movie called The Twentieth Century tomorrow. It's a Canadian gonzo biopic by way of Guy Maddin. Unfortunate the trailer is only on Facebook.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gross. Not seeing it. I don't care. gently caress anyone who brings it up.

I'm excited about it!

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Why are people so angry about the Joker movie? Have I missed something, other than it's a movie about the Joker and that is bad because? I like how people are tripping over themselves sharing links to the bad reviews and writing essay length analyses why winning the Venice Film festival is actually a bad thing and not at all based on the actual quality of the film.
Meanwhile, the majority of the reviews so far are good and people are excited for it?
I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but I'm just wondering out loud what have I missed about this particular film that's making people so angry? Since I'm not an American, I can only guess it has something to do with the culture over there, so I guess it's Trump etc.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

not trolled not crying posted:

Why are people so angry about the Joker movie? Have I missed something, other than it's a movie about the Joker and that is bad because?

Comic book movies can't be art, duh.

Although I can understand the argument against humanizing a homicidal sociopath.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

Although I can understand the argument against humanizing a homicidal sociopath.

Again - the last 2 decades at minimum of US television.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Why are people so angry about the Joker movie? Have I missed something, other than it's a movie about the Joker and that is bad because? I like how people are tripping over themselves sharing links to the bad reviews and writing essay length analyses why winning the Venice Film festival is actually a bad thing and not at all based on the actual quality of the film.
Meanwhile, the majority of the reviews so far are good and people are excited for it?
I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but I'm just wondering out loud what have I missed about this particular film that's making people so angry? Since I'm not an American, I can only guess it has something to do with the culture over there, so I guess it's Trump etc.
From the early reviews, I think the danger is that the movie doesn't seem to have a message one way or the other, so a lot of (probably white male) viewers could come away seeing Joker as the hero. The story seems to be about how society has wronged him and he must fight back, which when combined with the real-life problem of frustrated incel mass shooters, is a touchy subject to center a film about without a clear agenda.

I'm just a little worried that it'll turn into a movie held up by the alt-right as fighting for their side even if it doesn't explicitly condone the Joker's actions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Again - the last 2 decades at minimum of US television.

This is fair. I guess Joker is at least at an advantage because most people know him as a villain, as opposed to, say, Walter White.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GrandpaPants posted:

This is fair. I guess Joker is at least at an advantage because most people know him as a villain, as opposed to, say, Walter White.
Sure, but aren't alt-right idiots already embracing some stupid "clownworld" meme now? It's almost tailor-made for them.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seeing this movie called The Twentieth Century tomorrow. It's a Canadian gonzo biopic by way of Guy Maddin. Unfortunate the trailer is only on Facebook.
This looks so loving good.

EDIT: I totally misread that this isn't Maddin. Boy, that's outright theft, but impressive.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 10, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Why are people so angry about the Joker movie?

people are sick of comic book movies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least to me it looks impossibly self-important, which is not something I'm interested in. That plus the comic book thing, yeah.

Though hypocritically I'm holding out for the next Batman flick. It feels like all the pieces are lining up so we'll actually get our first Batman movie that feels like the comics.

e: Well, that feels like the good comics. The Snyder ones definitely feel like reading bad 90s comics.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JazzFlight posted:

From the early reviews, I think the danger is that the movie doesn't seem to have a message one way or the other, so a lot of (probably white male) viewers could come away seeing Joker as the hero. The story seems to be about how society has wronged him and he must fight back, which when combined with the real-life problem of frustrated incel mass shooters, is a touchy subject to center a film about without a clear agenda.

I'm just a little worried that it'll turn into a movie held up by the alt-right as fighting for their side even if it doesn't explicitly condone the Joker's actions.

First, anyone who shoots someone is a piece of poo poo, full stop. Second, most of the people living in this country right now would undoubtedly be fine with the term ‘dystopian’ to describe their living conditions; Alienation, automation, destruction of labor, decaying infrastructure, no transit, etc. have all lead to a collective sense of anomie among the population with no future, especially among the younger generations.

But it is amusing to watch mainstream pundits out there freak out about this - you reap what you sow.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Peanut President posted:

people are sick of comic book movies

Are they, though? The box office returns say otherwise. In 2017, 3 of the top 5 top grossing films at the US box office for the year were Superhero films (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about. Or are we including films such as Oldboy, Road to Perdition, Blue is the Warmest Colour, etc?). In 2018, it was 4 of the top 5 spots. In 2019, it's been 3 out of 5 again.

The "people" you're referring to are, in all likelihood, a vocal minority projecting their views on everyone else and passing off their opinion as fact. For all this talk of "superhero fatigue," where's the actual evidence?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 10, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Please shut up.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
That's not nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

love that Joker

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/10/20858765/joker-review-joaquin-phoenix

It got a 2.5 from Vox. I’m hoping the film still captures 1981 well though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tylersayten posted:

First, anyone who shoots someone is a piece of poo poo, full stop.

Hey now, that guy that stabbed Bolsonaro and nearly killed him was a hero. :colbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Make me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He's been using brand ECKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

McSpanky posted:

He's been using brand ECKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Ibexaz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5z3cr8AB5g

Maaaan dunno if I can handle an Edward Shults ending for a story like this, I'm still hosed up over Krisha

This is very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol