Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

These days its the Silver Spirit and the lower-spec 80s Bentleys that are the 'cheap Rolls-Royces' and can be seen in reserved spots in car parks round the back of Northern mill-town nightclubs, adult video warehouses and single-store discount supermarkets.

I've seen Bentleys far newer than the 80s going cheap as chips. They don't seem to have any resale value, here in the US, at least. Relatively low mileage (50-60k) 10 year old cars going for like $30k-$40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably because, by the time they are sold, they need so much expensive poo poo fixed that it's not worth it. Top of the line cars like the 7 series and S class never hold value because all that new crazy poo poo is new and crazy and breaks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Makes me wonder what happens to, like, the scent injection system in the BMw/Mercedes executive line cars when they break.

Or the touchscreen systems.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's probably catastrophic since even simple stuff goes terribly wrong. On some years of 7 series, the seat controls would sometimes just get reversed for some reason. Up makes the seat go down, forward makes it go back.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ReidRansom posted:

I've seen Bentleys far newer than the 80s going cheap as chips. They don't seem to have any resale value, here in the US, at least. Relatively low mileage (50-60k) 10 year old cars going for like $30k-$40k.

A doctor of some kind in the office complex I work at has a Bentley that I bet is something like this. I'm not sure what because I don't care enough about cars to have that sort of knowledge, but also because he laboriously puts a car cover over it whenever he takes it to work.

content:
Some other article somewhere led me to an obscure alleyway from the days of shareware: mp3pro.
http://www.rarewares.org/rrw/ctmp3pro.php

This was a codec that would transcode your existing mp3 files into lower-bitrate mp3 files that still sounded pretty good. I tried it out a couple times when I was smuggling music from my work computer to my home computer on 100MB Zip Disks. This was just as Napster was getting started, and I had a computer with dial-up American Online + a 28.8 modem.

Only thing was, you had to play back your mp3 files on an mp3pro player.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Sep 8, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Makes me wonder what happens to, like, the scent injection system in the BMw/Mercedes executive line cars when they break.

Or the touchscreen systems.

I saw someone bitching about new Mercedes’ fuel pumps which are are built into the fuel tank and supposed to last the life of the car. When they don’t, you have to replace the pump and the tank.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ReidRansom posted:

A lot of that is due to new cars being very nice. $40k can buy a new lower end Lexus or BMW that will have way more features and be much more reliable than the 10 year old Bentley, although the interior won't be as opulent. People only buy the Bentley if they care about looking rich.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Those horse masks were never funny.:shrug:

edit: Whoops, wrong thread but I'm just gonna leave it hanging.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 8, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

doctorfrog posted:

A doctor of some kind in the office complex I work at has a Bentley that I bet is something like this. I'm not sure what because I don't care enough about cars to have that sort of knowledge, but also because he laboriously puts a car cover over it whenever he takes it to work.

content:
Some other article somewhere led me to an obscure alleyway from the days of shareware: mp3pro.
http://www.rarewares.org/rrw/ctmp3pro.php

This was a codec that would transcode your existing mp3 files into lower-bitrate mp3 files that still sounded pretty good. I tried it out a couple times when I was smuggling music from my work computer to my home computer on 100MB Zip Disks. This was just as Napster was getting started, and I had a computer with dial-up American Online + a 28.8 modem.

Only thing was, you had to play back your mp3 files on an mp3pro player.

My cheapass dad bought an RCA Lyra MP3 player on clearance that played MP3Pro files as well as regular MP3s. It only had 64 MB of storage so you pretty much had to use MP3Pro format to fit even a single album on it without absolutely murdering the quality. It had an SD card slot but all our cameras and stuff were CompactFlash back then so we didn't get any SD cards until long after we'd forgotten about it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr.Radar posted:

My cheapass dad bought an RCA Lyra MP3 player on clearance that played MP3Pro files as well as regular MP3s. It only had 64 MB of storage so you pretty much had to use MP3Pro format to fit even a single album on it without absolutely murdering the quality. It had an SD card slot but all our cameras and stuff were CompactFlash back then so we didn't get any SD cards until long after we'd forgotten about it.

That'd be one of these (linked from the mp3pro web page):
https://web.archive.org/web/20050711232639/http://mp3prozone.com/products.htm

I really like the late 90's pocket electronics look of the RD1071, before/as things were getting all colorful and ergonomic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is so bizarre, but it was shiny and gold and I guess that was enough to get people to buy them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAHSkcP1PPc

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I saw someone bitching about new Mercedes’ fuel pumps which are are built into the fuel tank and supposed to last the life of the car. When they don’t, you have to replace the pump and the tank.

That's not unique to Mercs at all. Most fuel pumps are built into the fuel tank, have been for quite a few years, and there are good reason for it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Phanatic posted:

That's not unique to Mercs at all. Most fuel pumps are built into the fuel tank, have been for quite a few years, and there are good reason for it.

Yeah, but I think what the OP was saying is that most don’t require the tank to be replaced as well. My ‘89 Volvo has an sending unit/pump in the tank, but it’s easily removable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I know next to nothing about fuel pumps, but yeah I think the bitching was that the fuel tank has to be replaced as well. Whenever some engineer says an improvement is never supposed to be replaced it definitely will have to be replaced.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's cute that y'all think that anything is made to last past the warranty period. Anything outside of that is "Not their problem".

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Can I get a quote on what model has the irreplaceable pump? The ones I looked for all have separate pumps.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's cute that y'all think that anything is made to last past the warranty period. Anything outside of that is "Not their problem".
Warranty periods provide valuable QA data for likely points of early failure and make the customer feel like the company is doing them a favor. On the manufacturing side, you establish the desired life cycle, then balance price and quality until you make the most money from either

-something that lasts long enough that it's working, but not quite like new anymore, which happens to be when your next model comes out and your customers to upgrade to the newer one. Think Apple, and the fact that even if everyone sells their old phones instead of trading them in or tossing them, they still pull someone who can't afford the big stuff yet into their ecosystem, which is vital because if you've ever switched between Android and iOS devices, the slight differences in how things are done make it comfortable for people who are used to it, but irritating and infuriating to people used to another OS

-something that breaks or wears out after just long enough that the customer thinks they got a good product for a reasonable price, and buys another. Whether it breaks or wears out depends on what it is.

A kitchen appliance, power tool, something like that, should have a motor with a lower MTBF than the rest of it so it wears out. It also gives you a chance to shower the customer with some flattery. Drill wore out? that's because you used it all the time to build awesome stuff. Kitchen mixer motor starts to go, well it would still be going if you weren't such a good baker! Hitachi Magic Wand wears out? nobody who burns out the motor in a Magic Wand is going to buy something else to replace it unless they also wore out their drill and get creative in the power tool aisle.

Something fragile, something like a powerful or delicate tool, or an everyday item that gets bumped around a lot will break at a weak spot that looks strong once it's broken. A plastic handle will have an elaborate looking structure around the spot where it takes the most stress. The goal: the customer thinks "I broke it" rather than "it broke."

Or, your light bulbs burn out at 1000 hours, but so do everyone else's, so that's just how light bulbs are, and you've been had by the Phoebus Cartel.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That, and most people don't put a lot of stress on their devices. If you work on your car a few times a year, cheap tools are fine. At worst, they break and you have to make an extra trip to AutoZone. If you're a professional mechanic, you spend a lot of money on quality tools that will last through years of daily use.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

That, and most people don't put a lot of stress on their devices. If you work on your car a few times a year, cheap tools are fine. At worst, they break and you have to make an extra trip to AutoZone. If you're a professional mechanic, you spend a lot of money on quality tools that will last through years of daily use.

Auto mechanics are big into name brand tools too right? I work in industrial maintenance and I've seen exactly one snap on tool ever, real pro grade tools can be had for cheaper than you think if you go with a less sexy brand. Still never cheap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lurking Haro posted:

Can I get a quote on what model has the irreplaceable pump? The ones I looked for all have separate pumps.

Not sure. I think I heard it on a legal podcast/radio show of all things. An angry customer who wanted to sue Mercedes. The probability of it being bullshit is slightly less than the average Reddit post.

Konstantin posted:

Working on something once or twice a year is what Harbor Freight tools are for.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

shovelbum posted:

Auto mechanics are big into name brand tools too right? I work in industrial maintenance and I've seen exactly one snap on tool ever, real pro grade tools can be had for cheaper than you think if you go with a less sexy brand. Still never cheap.

Young auto mechanics are easily convinced by the guy in an Aladdin's Truck fully of 'Tools that a professional needs, are you a real professional? Here's a payment plan'. Older/wiser mechanics, less so.

Of course, the Snapon truck itself is obsolete technology: part of the appeal was that you could have access to any tool you need, at your premises, the next time the truck came round - which could be as often as once a week.
Bang! Amazon next day delivery of whatever you want at a fraction of the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

Young auto mechanics are easily convinced by the guy in an Aladdin's Truck fully of 'Tools that a professional needs, are you a real professional? Here's a payment plan'. Older/wiser mechanics, less so.

Of course, the Snapon truck itself is obsolete technology: part of the appeal was that you could have access to any tool you need, at your premises, the next time the truck came round - which could be as often as once a week.
Bang! Amazon next day delivery of whatever you want at a fraction of the price.

Yeah but Amazon doesn't give you a cool lanyard or a bottle opener.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GWBBQ posted:

Warranty periods provide valuable QA data for likely points of early failure and make the customer feel like the company is doing them a favor. On the manufacturing side, you establish the desired life cycle, then balance price and quality until you make the most money from either

I guess that's part of the reason Dyson completely changed their vacuums past the DC14. We bought one 15 years ago and it's still going as strong as day one.

I've saved a DC17, and another DC14 from being taken to the dump. The DC17 only needed a good cleaning, inside and out. The DC14, I haven't had time to mess with yet.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

This popped up on Reddit this morning, and it seems relevent.

$122 for four picks and one fancy extended socket that can be duplicated with a socket, u-joint, and extension. Literally the only points in Snap-on's favor here are they come to you, and extend credit.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Credit which of course would not be necessary if you were buying any normally-priced professional tools.

Jesus though, how can they charge that much for picks and keep a straight face?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dentistry seems like an expensive hobby. Not to mention how you've got to run out of friends and family to practice on after a while.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I really don't understand how Snap-On or Kirby Vacuums or any of that door-to-door salesman poo poo that costs 10 times the alternatives can exist these days.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Dentistry seems like an expensive hobby. Not to mention how you've got to run out of friends and family to practice on after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgI3Y7gxMO4

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I didn't realize how expensive snap-on was and asked a friend to grab me a crescent wrench the next time the truck came by. $60 for the fuckin' thing!

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Are they still your friend?

My father picked up a Kirby Heritage 2 vac off the curb and replaced the fan wheel inside it and used it for years. It worked well and a great point in it's favor was that it was so much quieter than the plastic crap you get at Walmart. It would be pretty cool to be able to buy a solid metal body vacuum just to have a quiet one like that.

We also had a trash picked, repaired Sanitaire that was so old most of the paint was gone off it but it kept on going until my mother tried to vacuum up too many coins.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vanagoon posted:

Are they still your friend?

My father picked up a Kirby Heritage 2 vac off the curb and replaced the fan wheel inside it and used it for years. It worked well and a great point in it's favor was that it was so much quieter than the plastic crap you get at Walmart. It would be pretty cool to be able to buy a solid metal body vacuum just to have a quiet one like that.

We also had a trash picked, repaired Sanitaire that was so old most of the paint was gone off it but it kept on going until my mother tried to vacuum up too many coins.

Oh man, my parents bought a Kirby Generation 3 when my brother and I were toddlers, and they *still* have that thing. It's loud as gently caress but will never ever die. A hulking stainless steel beast.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Credit which of course would not be necessary if you were buying any normally-priced professional tools.

Jesus though, how can they charge that much for picks and keep a straight face?

Professional tools are never normally-priced

https://www.grainger.com/product/AMPCO-72-Chain-Wrench-with-2-to-21XW03

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I didn't realize how expensive snap-on was and asked a friend to grab me a crescent wrench the next time the truck came by. $60 for the fuckin' thing!

That's more than a Bahco

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

That's 65 pounds of high-strength non-sparking bronze, that's not a normal tool either

edit: Then again a Proto 4-pick set is 75 bucks on there.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That seems low. what size was it?

Also, Isn't snapons OEM for adjustable wrenches Bahco anyway?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
Grainger can charge high prices because they are one of the only companies in their market that will reliably ship what you ordered on time. Other companies are cheaper, but will either have unexpected delays or will ship you the wrong thing. When you work in an industrial environment, delays can cost thousands of dollars, and you do not want to be the one explaining that the line is down because you tried to save a few hundred dollars by using an unproven supplier.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Grainger can charge high prices because they are one of the only companies in their market that will reliably ship what you ordered on time. Other companies are cheaper, but will either have unexpected delays or will ship you the wrong thing. When you work in an industrial environment, delays can cost thousands of dollars, and you do not want to be the one explaining that the line is down because you tried to save a few hundred dollars by using an unproven supplier.

Also Grainger and other industrial and commercial suppliers have several layers of contracted pricing and discounts.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's also priceless to have a vendor who knows what they're doing with various forms of government contracts instead of loving fumbling around for weeks trying to find their rear end with both hands.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
If only they all had an online catalog as well made as McMaster-Carr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Expensive tools own when you don’t pay for them.