Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

How would Steve Blackman be a huge star, he'd be nothing today.

I think if you put him in something like Bloodsport and he had an impressive showing then he’d probably get booked by every Indy out there before getting signed by a bigger company. He’s not as charismatic as Matt Riddle but he does look like he could kick anyone’s rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sadly I think her recent wrestling vids have gotten copyright struck.

yeah everything wrestling has been scrubbed even the deep dive on heroes of wrestling and collision in korea

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Can some qualify for me the main differences between ‘wrestling cool’ and ‘real’ cool.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

karmicknight posted:

Can some qualify for me the main differences between ‘wrestling cool’ and ‘real’ cool.

"wrestling cool" is whatever was cool 5-10 years before wrestling caught onto it.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

karmicknight posted:

consider DDP in WCW

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

karmicknight posted:

Konnan is both.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I asked this last thread and it never got answered: Did the most current Wrestlehut Awards thread get posted or did we just skip it this year? I haven't been checking these forums for awhile after 'Mania.

super macho dude fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 10, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We knew DDP was a dork even back then, but he believed in himself so much and had such great matches that it became impossible not to believe in him too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

karmicknight posted:

Wrestling cool is anything in wrestling that doesn't make you feel embarrassment at being attached to a medium that's typically at least a decade behind the broader zeitgeist.

I promise not to use that word again for the rest of the week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

super macho dude posted:

I asked this last thread and it never got answered: Did the most current Wrestlehut Awards thread get posted or did we just skip it this year? I haven't been checking these forums for awhile after 'Mania.

I don't recall and a search doesn't bring it up, The Goog used to run them and I think may have just skipped it this year?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

"wrestling cool" is whatever was cool 5-10 years before wrestling caught onto it.

This made me start thinking that maybe at least a part of "pro wrestling cool" is whatever your 5- to 12-year-old self would think is cool, and I am being serious and don't mean that as a bad thing. At its purest, when it's not trash carny garbage, there is a sweet innocence to pro wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

This made me start thinking that maybe at least a part of "pro wrestling cool" is whatever your 5- to 12-year-old self would think is cool, and I am being serious and don't mean that as a bad thing. At its purest, when it's not trash carny garbage, there is a sweet innocence to pro wrestling

I loving love One Piece and the author has been straight up in saying the entire inspiration for it was thinking,"What would I have thought was super cool when I was like 10 years old?" and then making a manga based around that premise. It loving worked, and that kind of earnest "check this awesome poo poo out!" mindset is what made season 1 of Lucha Underground work so well in my opinion.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I loving love One Piece and the author has been straight up in saying the entire inspiration for it was thinking,"What would I have thought was super cool when I was like 10 years old?" and then making a manga based around that premise. It loving worked, and that kind of earnest "check this awesome poo poo out!" mindset is what made season 1 of Lucha Underground work so well in my opinion.

I love that Minoru Suzuki is a huge One Piece fan.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m going to Kyoto and Osaka in mid January 2020 from the 13th to the 24th, is there any way to see if there are any pro wrestling shows happening in that area between those dates?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

I’m going to Kyoto and Osaka in mid January 2020 from the 13th to the 24th, is there any way to see if there are any pro wrestling shows happening in that area between those dates?

Check this out https://en.puwota.com/

Edit: Doesn't look like they have anything listed for January yet. Dunno when they'll start adding stuff

Edit2: Ah, it just didn't load. Well, there's not much there yet anyway. It's still a long way off so I'm sure there'll be something, looking at Januaries from past years

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 10, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

If you get a chance to catch a show in KBS Hall, Kyoto I highly recommend it. Wrestling with a stained glass window backdrop is very interesting.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What I've seen of Jeff Hardy as Willow in TNA is a bit like this. I don't know for sure though, because what I've seen also looked really horrible.

Willow was cool actually

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

There won't be another Dark 90s Grunge Goth Gimmick because it's not the 90s anymore. But to do it again, you'd have to come up with a similarly timely gimmick, then have the patience to build up a star by having them appear often enough to maintain interest, without ever wrestling or even speaking

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Why does New Japan have the hard cam set up to face the entrance ramp where the fewest fans are visible? It seems like you'd ideally want an animated crowd as the background for the ring yet in a lot of their arenas they do it this way.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Incessant Excess posted:

Why does New Japan have the hard cam set up to face the entrance ramp where the fewest fans are visible? It seems like you'd ideally want an animated crowd as the background for the ring yet in a lot of their arenas they do it this way.

same reason they didn't move all the fans to the hardcam side and tarp off sections in dallas. They don't really care.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Incessant Excess posted:

Japanese crowds aren't necessarily the most animated, so I don't know that it matters. You aren't supposed to stand or hold things above your head as to not block anyone else's view and ruin their experience. If your thing is seeing a crowd of people sitting and clapping rhythmically while others hold tiny towels and teddy bears, I can see your point though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Ganso Bomb posted:

Japanese crowds aren't necessarily the most animated, so I don't know that it matters. You aren't supposed to stand or hold things above your head as to not block anyone else's view and ruin their experience. If your thing is seeing a crowd of people sitting and clapping rhythmically while others hold tiny towels and teddy bears, I can see your point though.

It's certainly true that they are less animated in some ways than other crowds but I figure seeing people react even in small or subtle ways still makes for a better visual. It's part of the reason I like Korakuen and and Sumo hall so much, they don't do it in those due to the layout of the place. It's a very minor thing in the grand scheme of things, just something I noticed and felt was a bit of an odd choice.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

The tiny towel experience is very underrated.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Show the sea of people holding tiny EVIL scythes, Harold you coward

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Big Bidness posted:

The tiny towel experience is very underrated.

I really want a Suzukigun tiny towel. No, it has no practical use what so ever.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I got to buy a Sekimoto towel directly from him, and it's not even something that can be displayed but I want a bunch more tiny towels.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
tiny towels are at their best when Tanahashi rubs his sweaty face on some of them in the crowd after a long, hard-fought match

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's the best account/history of the Hashimoto double cross

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So, nowadays WWE tends to tape a lot of shows at once, to the point of exhaustion for some crowds. Was it always like that, especially in the Attitude era? Sunday Night Heat was live before any PPVs but what about Sundays when there wasn't a PPV? Same for Thunder, was it big enough for its own show or did they tape it before/after something?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The exact details depend on exactly when you're looking, but if anything WWE has trended towards taping fewer shows at once.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So, nowadays WWE tends to tape a lot of shows at once, to the point of exhaustion for some crowds. Was it always like that, especially in the Attitude era? Sunday Night Heat was live before any PPVs but what about Sundays when there wasn't a PPV? Same for Thunder, was it big enough for its own show or did they tape it before/after something?

the wrestling wikipedia that still lists all the wrestler's finishes posted:

From early 1994 to September 1999, Raw was shown live on one Monday and then the next day (Tuesday) next Monday's Raw was taped. This meant that Raw was live one week and taped the next.

and i am p. sure they taped some of those recap shows with a few squashes for poors that could not afford the premium channels at the same deal (i was one of the poors)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

God that schedule must have sucked for the crew. Spend hours after a late taping to take everything down, drive it to the next show, and put everything up again. And then the refs still have to work some matches!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thunder was shown live from its launch until October 2000 when they started taping it after Nitro

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

Thunder was shown live from its launch until October 2000 when they started taping it after Nitro
I think it alternated between taped shows and live shows for a while, didn't it? Before the reboot, I mean.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

I think it alternated between taped shows and live shows for a while, didn't it? Before the reboot, I mean.

i remember kevin nash giving some apologia for his disastrous run as booker wherein he breaks down how complicated it was to keep things in any kind of coherent linear order. here it is in fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6DWhkEeDg

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

The exact details depend on exactly when you're looking, but if anything WWE has trended towards taping fewer shows at once.

At the nadir in the New Generation, they were sometimes doing 3 tapings at the shittiest venues.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

At the nadir in the New Generation, they were sometimes doing 3 tapings at the shittiest venues.

Going through any New Generation recap podcast is a joy to hear "yeah this was taped three weeks ago, I know last week was part two of the next set of tapings but this the order they released them in"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

Which Straw Hat would be the best wrestler and why is it Franky

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Which Straw Hat would be the best wrestler and why is it Franky

Well he's a SUPERstar so it seems obvious, but the real answer is Usopp because he's the closest in spirit to Ryusuke Taguchi and Toru Yano. Also the really real REAL answer is Minoru Suzuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can anyone truly be a SUPERstar if Tony Chimel hasn't cracked his voice announcing them?