Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

on vortex, I get the dilema to choose a negative and back an elector count

it says it may reward me later and uh

what would that reward be since that seems to be independent of the reinforcements

They send you money/followers/items at random times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I suck at this game. I can't win those reinforcement battles within the empire at all. Two swordsmen, a handgunner and an empire knights + the huntsman general is not enough for me to swing those fights as the defending force is severely outnumbered. Do people have to have Turin levels of micro to win this or is there something I am missing? Playing on hard battle difficulty.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Playing as Gelt and holy poo poo these interventions you can do in the defense of another elector are cool as poo poo. Invest cash or prestige, get a poo poo army to fight some thematic opponent like Norsca or Skaven. I'm actually digging it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ad090 posted:

The fact that it's going to take until the next patch to fix ports is ridiculous. It takes 150 turns I believe for a tier 5 port to make a profit now. Taking into account how long it takes to get to tier 5 in the first place, it's never worth it at any point in any campaign now to build up ports.
In the reddit ama, they did at least acknowledge that they went to far with the ports. But it's a bit disconcerting that the devs thought loving with the player's income would make the game more difficult, as opposed to more boring though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Half an hour later and the installation still isn't finished. Tedious as hell.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

In the reddit ama, they did at least acknowledge that they went to far with the ports. But it's a bit disconcerting that the devs thought loving with the player's income would make the game more difficult, as opposed to more boring though.

Not just that, do a simple cost/benefit analysis of how much money you get vs how much it costs. A port costs more than a basic Empire hatmaker and gives less money.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

kingturnip posted:

Half an hour later and the installation still isn't finished. Tedious as hell.

You could always do something else instead of watching your progress bar for thirty minutes

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
E: wrong thread

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
played Nakai for a couple hours and he's a lot of fun. starting near so much skaven just gives hilarious battles of hundreds of rats melting to a handful of chunky lizards.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
Are the 'Children of the Old Ones' stacks that spawn to fight Wulfhart supposed to have Unbreakable on every single unit? Because wow, that was an awful battle where I lost almost every unit in an ambush I set up. I just re-loaded and auto-resolved for barely any casualties instead, if that's intentional what an awful mechanic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Armani Glasses posted:

Are the 'Children of the Old Ones' stacks that spawn to fight Wulfhart supposed to have Unbreakable on every single unit? Because wow, that was an awful battle where I lost almost every unit in an ambush I set up. I just re-loaded and auto-resolved for barely any casualties instead, if that's intentional what an awful mechanic.

It already exists for the Blood Voyage armies so possibly yes.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It already exists for the Blood Voyage armies so possibly yes.

Such a strange decision, I can't imagine any incentive to actually fight them on the field!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

I imagine someone's going to mod it within a day or so.

There's already like 2-3 mods out right now.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How am I supposed to get my special hero units back playing as Wulfhart? The elf died because of some autoresolve bullshit and I can't find how to get her back in the game.

edit: lol she just randomly spawned where my army wasn't, nevermind

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Btw, for to make ports sane again: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1860387227&searchtext=Port

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo you can recruit multiples of some of the RoR you get from Elector counts. There's a 10 turn cooldown between, but still. Although it looks like you only get one blue steam tank.

EDIT: Tried loading the no intro movies mod. Just that. Game freezes when I click on Wulfhart on the campaign selection screen. Disabled it, and the game is fine. Tried loading the Home Region Movement Bonus mod... same deal. Looks like mods are borked again?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Armani Glasses posted:

Save your rage for unbreakable dread saurians that come later.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Electronico6 posted:

Save your rage for unbreakable dread saurians that come later.

:stonk:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

*jurassic park theme intensifies*

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Gonkish posted:

Holy poo poo you can recruit multiples of some of the RoR you get from Elector counts. There's a 10 turn cooldown between, but still. Although it looks like you only get one blue steam tank.

EDIT: Tried loading the no intro movies mod. Just that. Game freezes when I click on Wulfhart on the campaign selection screen. Disabled it, and the game is fine. Tried loading the Home Region Movement Bonus mod... same deal. Looks like mods are borked again?

I’ve seen some of my mods update through the day. I toggled on the ones with green checks and my game loaded fine, but half still need an update still so my helf ME campaign is on hold for now and I’m enjoying a vanilla Vortex game with Nakai.

Hopefully everything works soon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gonkish posted:

Mods that are updated work fine for me. Dunno about movement bonus but I'm guessing the intro movies mod and the guy with the brand new intro movie might not play nice?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Yeah I had to load with nothing active, get through the new movies, started a game, created a hard save, then quit and restarted with the move skip active and I was good

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mods that are updated work fine for me. Dunno about movement bonus but I'm guessing the intro movies mod and the guy with the brand new intro movie might not play nice?

Yeah, but the problem is being caused by any other mods, too. Weirdly, the background on the main menu changes to older DLC (namely P&W), or vanilla (with the great vortex).

I'm just gonna wait it out and play a vanilla campaign as Markus or Nakai.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
home region movement bonus updated in the time I left work an hour ago and just not got home.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I am definitely not using War Wagons or Huntsmen to their fullest as Wolfhart. Right now I'm just using Huntsmen as basically better, cheaper crossbows and tucking them behind my lines instead of up front. As-is, I stand by my earlier thoughts that vanguard and stalk seem kind of wasted on them and that it'd seem more impactful on handgunners instead so they could get good flanking fire on engaged lines. Any tips for use?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just remember, war wagons are chariots and can run things down.

And do.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

*jurassic park theme intensifies*

:nsfw:

https://i.imgur.com/JywXMrb.gif

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Trujillo posted:

The Goonhammer - Come On and Slann

In celebration of the new dlc, we're going to be having a casual amateur tournament starting 9/20 and sign ups are starting now. For anyone wanting to try out multiplayer, this would be a great way to learn, but players of any skill level are welcome. To sign up, you can post in the tournament room in the total war goon discord:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

Rules
1) Don't be an rear end in a top hat
2) The higher seeded player picks the faction they're playing first in game 1; for the rest of the set the winner of the previous game picks factions first
3) Maps will be pre-selected for each round of the tournament
4) No corner camping; this should be mostly obvious but do not hug the edge of the map and if you are not firing ranged attacks or charging into melee with any of your units you must engage somehow or forfeit the match.
5) To keep things moving, players have 1 week to schedule their matches or the round will be forfeited to the player who was around and tried to schedule the game.
6) Unit Size + Funds = Large
7) Time limit for matches = 20m

Combatants signed up so far:
Sammut
Dipster
Gejnor
Zearoth
Clown Time
Azran
ChickenWing
Betongen
Teamoverheadsmash
I posted in the Discord but is there still room for me to join the Slaanbowl?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Markus is really strong when he can shoot but he's insanely frustrating to use because he gets the brain problems a lot of ranged units get and loves to ignore orders to shoot and run into melee constantly. His focused shot ability is particularly terrible about it since it seems to have a completely flat trajectory.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Either Nakai is incredibly overpowered or I need to raise the difficulty, and it can't be the latter because I am not very good at this game.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The difficulty of hoard style factions is managing money and growth. Neither are an issue for Nakai so yeah he's just plain busted.

Plus he's an absolute beast on the battlefield.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
War Wagons in campaign seem to suffer the same fate of other small unit mobile shooters like deck droppers in campaign - they simply don't do enough damage to justify their slot. They're decent poke damage and can do some (incredibly budget) chariot maneuvers, but I'm not convinced you're not better off with replacing them with some actual shooters or some actual heavy cavalry to do either job infinitely better. I've honestly been getting better results out of pistoliers, of all things.

Except Mortar Wagons, which kick rear end and are basically just better mortars.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sure wish battles with reinforcements on both sides didn’t still suck poo poo, especially since they work in 3k

Like poo poo just remove the dumbass “trickle on” and let everything up to 40 units deploy. It’s not like “hhmmmmmmm yes my reinforcements will come from precisely... here! And in this order... yes, yes!” Is something anyone can ever consider on the campaign map.

My next suggested change: no trickle on past 40. The stacks duke it out and if the loser has more, Another Challenger Appears and you have to make your poo poo stack work vs the depleted enemy/rally your haggard troops for the next wave.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 12, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So the "go help your buddies" system with the Empire is real neat but holy poo poo some battles you just get hosed by it

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's weird that you get a trespassing malus for helping other Imperial electors if you don't have an access agreement. Like... hey Fuckwit von Dumbshit, YOU begged ME for help and now you're mad because a one off detachment of like five units saved your fat rear end and then instantly disappeared? What? gently caress you.

I'm sure it will be changed/modded out, but god that was annoying to find out.

Also, Nakai IS a loving monster, holy poo poo. I am currently beating up Vikings and he just happily plows through entire formations, turning them into a fine red mist. Also the dive animation Boxigors (Sacred Kroxigors have boxing gloves, they are boxigors) do when they charge poo poo is amazing. Straight up shoulder slam some fuckers and ruin their day.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm really, really missing charge reflect from 3 kingdoms. Also, how long have Empire halberdiers had charge defense against all?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

70ish turns deep in this Nakai campaign, still only one horde, but I've killed Wulfric and taken over the whole of western Norsca. Once you get the techs that make you immune to Chaos and Snow attrition you can dumpster Vikings all day long.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

War Wagons in campaign seem to suffer the same fate of other small unit mobile shooters like deck droppers in campaign - they simply don't do enough damage to justify their slot. They're decent poke damage and can do some (incredibly budget) chariot maneuvers, but I'm not convinced you're not better off with replacing them with some actual shooters or some actual heavy cavalry to do either job infinitely better. I've honestly been getting better results out of pistoliers, of all things.

Except Mortar Wagons, which kick rear end and are basically just better mortars.

Don't forget the hellblaster wagon - that thing's terrifying. But war wagons have a much worse problem than deck droppers in that they are basically slower outriders with far fewer guns; at least deck droppers can get places like over the enemy artillery. With only six outrider guns per war wagon I'm not surprised that pistoleers outperform them against anything with ARM < 100. (I wonder how much more popular pistoleers would be if most people weren't introduced to them by shredding them at the Battle of the Bloodpine Woods)

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Messed with both new lords from the DLC today. Nakai is definitely more my speed as Empire just isn't to my taste (I like sturdy infantry). Wulfhart is cool, has more interesting mechanics for sure but both are very well realized and unique offerings among their factions.

More excited about Gotrek though, frankly. Dwarfs are my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's talking about Lizardmen and something called Lustria, I don't understand because I'm looking at this map and all I see is New Reikland?