Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Taear posted:

Which bit are you on of the arena and how many people do you have with you? It's easier with the native who can heal

The one where you are supposed to help some merchant - you fight a guy and two beasts, they pretty much kill me in one/two charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mehrunes posted:

I've been tearing poo poo up just using my magic uppercut and the big explosion spell that stuns everything around you, I also picked up the teleport dash dodge and that's really useful too. I'm thinking about respeccing the starter points in blunt weapons into more magic (if those get refunded) because so far they've been a complete waste.

So you can be a ME3 Vanguard in this game?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

So you can be a ME3 Vanguard in this game?

No, it’s not nearly as flashy as vanguard charging around.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I'm digging this from the admittedly small amount I've played so far, but I really wish I could do borderless full screen but still choose what resolution the game runs at. My machine struggles with this at 4k on high :(

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Caidin posted:

That's exactly what happened actually, the lunatic ducked my 75% cha check too. Probably shouldn't bring my newest buddy with when I go check out Hekmit or whatever it's called.

If you bring the native lady to Hekmit then she actually advises you not to bring her to meet with their governor out loud, I decided to take the hint so no idea what happens if you bring her in.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Taear posted:

Man - that's a proper false equivalence. Witcher 2 is a good game with very little jank.

I just got the comparison from someone else in the Steam thread, and Witcher 2 is the only Eurojank game I've really played. Don't shoot the messenger.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

I just got the comparison from someone else in the Steam thread, and Witcher 2 is the only Eurojank game I've really played. Don't shoot the messenger.

Weird that the only Eurojank you played isn't jank at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a main story quest that has you talking with three NPCs who want you to do side quests for them first.... and it's so boring. :negative: I am trying hard to just power through but I really hate this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I said come in! posted:

There is a main story quest that has you talking with three NPCs who want you to do side quests for them first.... and it's so boring. :negative: I am trying hard to just power through but I really hate this.

Yea the main story doesn't grab me at all, the game doesn't contextualise it enough I think

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Please for the love of god, stop putting encumbrance limits in games. There has never been an interesting decision caused by encumbrance. Inventory management is not fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taear posted:

Yea the main story doesn't grab me at all, the game doesn't contextualise it enough I think

The story is just dragging on forever, ive been playing all day and im still not done. I want to finish this game but I really dont think I am having fun.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Try Elex for the true eurojank experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Meatwolfe posted:

Try Elex for the true eurojank experience.

Elex is one of the worst games ive ever played.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I said come in! posted:

So it's the true eurojank experience from the sounds of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

So it's the true eurojank experience from the sounds of it.

At least Greedfall is not the eurojank we have come to know. Its manages to surpass that low bar.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Elex was awful but kind of addictive. Greedfall is leaps and bounds better so far.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Please for the love of god, stop putting encumbrance limits in games. There has never been an interesting decision caused by encumbrance. Inventory management is not fun.

In a related point it's weird how sometimes you'll auto loot a corpse and other times it pops up and makes you do it manually.
I genuinely can't work out how it decides which to do, it's not related to number or anything and I've even had it autoloot a weapon so it doesn't SEEM contents related.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Elex is great.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've kind of put off the the main quest because I can after meeting the main guys. I gone through Kurt's quest and I was suprised at how good it was, I think they've exceeded Bioware by a fair margin so far. If anyone's looking for Aurora engine Bioware like KoTOR or Jade Empire these guys have finally surpassed them.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea I'm liking the writing, characters & setting a lot. It's really just the combat I can't get over, it's almost as bad as witcher 2 expect there you could cheese it more easily I feel.

Maybe I should try heavy armor once I get a respec crystal.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

I've kind of put off the the main quest because I can after meeting the main guys. I gone through Kurt's quest and I was suprised at how good it was, I think they've exceeded Bioware by a fair margin so far. If anyone's looking for Aurora engine Bioware like KoTOR or Jade Empire these guys have finally surpassed them.

Really?? I've done that quest and it's pretty terrible. Maybe it's more obvious when you're using Charisma and you just say "Actually, do this thing" and they totally change their minds but that quest had loads of weird jank in it.
The doctor tells you that the guy has drowned. You persuade your way into the room and it's clear he's been beaten up. The doctor goes "Oh, yea actually I was lying the whole time"

As well as loads of barely working dialogue options and the completely lifeless tavern you have to go to during the quest.

I kinda get the same in Petrus's quest where the quest gives me a ! notification on a secret key on a random table but doesn't give me a clue where to get Servant uniforms from. I guess the merchant, but it's still weird what it decides to just randomly reveal. It would have been fine if Petrus told me it was there but he absolutely didn't.
However when I was downstairs sneaking around we all spoke really loving loudly and it totally ruined my immersion, but whatever.

Then I go and speak to a Pimp because I have to speak to some sex workers and the game just kinda....acted like I was half way through a conversation with this guy even though I wasn't.

During this same quest I spoke to the innkeeper and my character mentioned someone in a green coat - but I hadn't learned about her yet and that dialogue option came later with a different person. A different person in the same building, downstairs - so really you'd expect not to have learned that info when you're speaking to the innkeeper.

Avalerion posted:

Yea I'm liking the writing, characters & setting a lot. It's really just the combat I can't get over, it's almost as bad as witcher 2 expect there you could cheese it more easily I feel.

Maybe I should try heavy armor once I get a respec crystal.

My main issue with the combat is it seems to be that if you dodge you are immune for a few seconds, and that's all that matters. I get hit so often because I've got out of the way but I mistimed it, so I got hit somehow anyway. It's really strange and I'm finally used to it now but I'd rather be able to actually dodge the animation because that feels more "natural"

I'm also a bit miffed that I'm still using a two hander I bought at level 5 and I'm level 17. I've even found a purple two handed mace and the one I have is a thousand times better. Makes looting stuff really boring.

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 12, 2019

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Really?? I've done that quest and it's pretty terrible. Maybe it's more obvious when you're using Charisma and you just say "Actually, do this thing" and they totally change their minds but that quest had loads of weird jank in it.
The doctor tells you that the guy has drowned. You persuade your way into the room and it's clear he's been beaten up. The doctor goes "Oh, yea actually I was lying the whole time"

As well as loads of barely working dialogue options and the completely lifeless tavern you have to go to during the quest.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. The doctor admits he lied on about the autopsy because it was made clear he would suffer the same fate as the victim if he didn't.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

I have no idea what you're trying to say. The doctor admits he lied on about the autopsy because it was made clear he would suffer the same fate as the victim if he didn't.

I'm saying that why let me examine the body and then just sit there totally fine when it's absolutely clear he wasn't drowned? Just say it at that point. It felt unnatural and the emotions the characters displayed during the scene didn't fit with what'd happened either. The charisma check would have been better to get him to tell the truth rather than to get him to let me into the room. gently caress, even hide the body because that'd make more sense than just having it there with you outside lying all the while about it.
Then you tell the doctor you won't tell anyone his role and your character IMMEDIATELY tells the Quartermaster exactly what happened. So much for telling the truth!

Like every dialogue in the game it always feels like there's a bit missing that'd smooth it out.

Or hell - the lieutenant guy tells me to come back and speak to him at night because there will be fewer people around - but everyone's still there at night, the guy's just sat down now instead.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I'm saying that why let me examine the body and then just sit there totally fine when it's absolutely clear he wasn't drowned? Just say it at that point. It felt unnatural and the emotions the characters displayed during the scene didn't fit with what'd happened either. The charisma check would have been better to get him to tell the truth rather than to get him to let me into the room. gently caress, even hide the body because that'd make more sense than just having it there with you outside lying all the while about it.
Then you tell the doctor you won't tell anyone his role and your character IMMEDIATELY tells the Quartermaster exactly what happened. So much for telling the truth!

Like every dialogue in the game it always feels like there's a bit missing that'd smooth it out.

Or hell - the lieutenant guy tells me to come back and speak to him at night because there will be fewer people around - but everyone's still there at night, the guy's just sat down now instead.

When I confronted the doctor he was inconsolate and the lieutenant was completely alone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

When I confronted the doctor he was inconsolate and the lieutenant was completely alone.

I've no idea how it could be so different for you.

I think a big part of what brings the bioware companions alive is companion banter, which there just isn't any of here. And introductions to them as well - I mentioned it before but Siora was just in my party with not enough around it to explain it. And then I can question her RIGHT AWAY "why haven't you said anything about your father?". Give her a chance, she's just got here!

It doesn't help that the companions all say the same thing over and over. "Things are about to get dicey" can absolutely gently caress off.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Because she introduces herself as whatever whatever daughter of someone important. “What about your father” isn’t so weird in context.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Because she introduces herself as whatever whatever daughter of someone important. “What about your father” isn’t so weird in context.

It is when you hear how it's asked - "I've never heard you talk about your father, who was he?"
Well of course you haven't, she joined 3 minutes ago

I think it'd fit better in those "travel break" bits which feel a bit pointless, I guess they're a loading screen? They'd be a great spot to let you properly chat to your companions, DA:O style

Taear fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 12, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to go full Blackbeard and cover myself in pistols?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Beards are in, but you are limited to one gun afaik.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

I've no idea how it could be so different for you.

Well for the second part is that not odd. They may have set that dialogue to look for night while the men in the room only start leaving at night. That's pretty classic jank.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mehrunes posted:

Well for the second part is that not odd. They may have set that dialogue to look for night while the men in the room only start leaving at night. That's pretty classic jank.

And in the second half of the quest, I talked to a recruit and they said "he's given more information than the others!"
Well yea in that I've not actually SPOKEN to the others yet.

And I could suddenly tell the lieutenant that I wanted her to work with me in the Palace as a Charisma thing, I still don't know why my character said that or what use it was.

It does make me laugh that I'm questioning all these people while I'm in full native getup though, nobody seems to mind.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 12, 2019

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Meatwolfe posted:

Elex was awful but kind of addictive. Greedfall is leaps and bounds better so far.

Jesus. Reminder to myself never to listen to SA.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Jesus. Reminder to myself never to listen to SA.

Yea - both greedfall and elex are just as bad as each other.

I just did a quest where at the end "Recruit Wilhelm" was left in charge of the camp
And then he turned to himself and said "I'm glad to be under your command Wilhelm"

No buddy, that's you, you're Wilhelm!

During the quest I got some keys to the basement and the story of the quest was wondering what was happening in that basement - well I know what's happening because the keys were called "keys to the torture chamber".

In regards to Kurt's quest:
The second part just seems to...end? I thought I would need to confront the master of the Coin Guard but there's no step for it. Does it come later or what?

Also I'm 13 hours in and I still don't know what this stuff on my face is. Or what the thing my mother gave me was. Why does nobody mention it to me?!

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 12, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elex is the worst game that I couldn't stop playing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This review on steam is absolutely spot on.
I hadn't even noticed the portraits thing until just recently but when you see it you can't unsee it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Taear posted:

This review on steam is absolutely spot on.
I hadn't even noticed the portraits thing until just recently but when you see it you can't unsee it.

Why would you expect an open world from a game where they said in interviews that it's linear like all their previous games?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you expect an open world from a game where they said in interviews that it's linear like all their previous games?

It's advertised as that?
Like I don't want a massive open plain but man it's like playing guild wars 1 sometimes. I can't even walk over a tiny rock

Constantly checking the map to see where you're allowed to walk because there's no consistency to it at all

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

On that note this desperately needs a minimap, especially in buildings.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Taear posted:

It's advertised as that?
Like I don't want a massive open plain but man it's like playing guild wars 1 sometimes. I can't even walk over a tiny rock

Constantly checking the map to see where you're allowed to walk because there's no consistency to it at all

Is it? I see it in the steam tags but I dunno if those are community-added.
If they are advertising it like that then I apologize for being snarky. Just another reason to never trust advertising and always read user reviews first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

On that note this desperately needs a minimap, especially in buildings.

Yea, it's absolutely criminal that it hasn't got one. The letters in the compass get obscured by quests you're not doing all the goddamn time too