Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Exactly, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osEEQLSE6ng

Walkthrough of the demo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i now have less of an idea what her name is than before

Daeneryth.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also, Rude hurling Cloud head-first into Aerith was :discourse:

Rude is a big fan of Super Mario 64.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well he's certainly gotten paler.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

You don't translate proper nouns.

the sound is not in their language which means they generally can’t really pronounce it, just like Americans can’t really pronounce the Spanish “rr” sound. “th” ends up sounding like “su” in Japanese

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so why did they change it to aerith

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

OhFunny posted:

Can't believe they got Cesaro to be in this game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly Rockheart sounds a lot radder than Lockheart.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

They didn't. The official Japanese spelling in Latin letters was always Aerith.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

her name is based off the English word “earth”

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stop mandela effecting me

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Just showing some official material from shortly before the Japanese release

Interestingly, if you were somehow to get the game to bypass the name input, it would default to calling her Aerith, since that's her name in the code before you put one in. Cloud is similar, with a default "name" of ex-SOLDIER, and Red XIII as just Red.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gologle posted:

Gonna end up with rockheart arms after doing all those pullups :downsrim:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

oh my god the voice over person needs to shut the gently caress up

e: tail laser warning is correctly translated 0/10 pre-order cancelled

that was a pretty nice demo, although I can't imagine they'll put that much effort and scripted environmental interaction into the other boss fights

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 12, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh boy, this argument

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

OhFunny posted:

I love this. Thank you I could watch this all day.

I wonder if they'll keep his AI for not attacking Tifa. IIRC, he'd never use moves except a punch every third turn on her when she's the only character still standing.

Like: won't grab her by the feet and spin her around; won't hurl Barret at her from across the room.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gologle posted:

Rock Thunderheart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXTTFIVP1w

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You guys weren't kidding about the blitzball tutorials jesus christ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys weren't kidding about the blitzball tutorials jesus christ.

Heres the fun part; none of this really matters because you have a prefab team that absolutely sucks so winning the match is basically "wait until the second half and hope you got enough XP so Tidus can use Jecht Shot" and then playing keep away either fairly or by breaking the enemy AI.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The giant hologram President has convinced me that they know what they’re doing

T

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm taking a look at that playthrough of the demo now, and I must admit, not hearing the victory theme play after every encounter makes me sad as hell. That was the best version of the victory theme, and also the best battle theme, and also the best overworld theme, and if you disagree with me on any of these points, well, you're wrong and I'm right and that's all there is to it, don't @ me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Materia grows, just like it does in Vanilla
Summons are equippable, just like they are in vanilla, when summoned, they replace the non-caster party members, like in FFXII, you don't control them but you can issue them commands while they auto-fight
although I guess a better comparison for the summons is... Kingdom Hearts 2
Shocking like no one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OhFunny posted:

This gives me hope that it will still have the goofy tone from the original.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

OhFunny posted:

So long gay Cloud sir.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rumor is that Don Corneo is played by Mark Hamill.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

This gives me hope that it will still have the goofy tone from the original.

Yes exactly. The first trailer was like... Advent Children grim Midgar. This trailer had throwing Cloud into Aeris, getting ready to dress up Cloud as a girl, exercise minigame with the Buff Bois, Don Corneo, and then they ADDED stuff like ridiculous screen filling projections of the corporate villains

I honestly think this will be a good game. The main reservation I have is still about length and how they're gonna split it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Turks continue to own bones as it is, was, and ever shall be. Every trailer gets me more and more pumped for this. Guess the better half and myself will be booking time off in March!

E: god the Turks theme, mmmmm. That's the good stuff right there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yes exactly. The first trailer was like... Advent Children grim Midgar. This trailer had throwing Cloud into Aeris, getting ready to dress up Cloud as a girl, exercise minigame with the Buff Bois, Don Corneo, and then they ADDED stuff like ridiculous screen filling projections of the corporate villains

I honestly think this will be a good game. The main reservation I have is still about length and how they're gonna split it.

Personally, if the first game is this good, I can't wait for the chase for the Man in Black across the world ending at the Forgotten Capital.

My main problem remains the music being too orchestral for a magic-cyber-punk setting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm a little scared of what's up with the ghosts, honestly. I don't feel like the spin-offs have had a very good track record of inserting new bits into the setting.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well, the ghosts seem to be attacking Seventh Heaven and Barret asks where they've been. So maybe it's at the point where Cloud/Aerith/Tifa return from Don Corneo's mansion via the Train Graveyard, perhaps? And the Train Graveyard is full of ghosts, so maybe they're trying to integrate the ghosts a bit more than "there are ghosts in this train yard for some reason." Then again, the pillar section is supposed to come immediately after the Train Graveyard, so I dunno.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Turks continue to own bones as it is, was, and ever shall be. Every trailer gets me more and more pumped for this. Guess the better half and myself will be booking time off in March!

E: god the Turks theme, mmmmm. That's the good stuff right there.

I'm actually glad the Turks are getting more serious screentime.

In the original game they're set up as Shinra's super elite enforcers, yet your first encounter with Reno is just nailing grunts with barrels like you're Donkey Kong. The only real time they get played as serious is them dropping Sector 7 and getting caught at Shinra HQ, the rest of the time they're sorta just comic relief.

Here you have Reno clowning on Cloud from the word go and Rude throwing Cloud without breaking a sweat.

The Turks mean business now.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

The area outside the church where they fight Rude is too drat sunny for the slums under that *&$@% pizza! Immersion ruined.

....Looks decent otherwise, though.

It could be Aerith's house. That was pretty sunny and had a little garden and waterfall.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Augus posted:

her name is based off the English word “earth”

Then why not call her Terra?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mega64 posted:

Then why not call her Terra?

A Terra already needlessly complicated one big Square franchise with Cloud in it, we don’t want to tempt fate twice

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

A Terra already needlessly complicated one big Square franchise with Cloud in it, we don’t want to tempt fate twice

He was actually called Tina in the Japanese version so it's okay

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i think you mean Terrah the ff4 wizard

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, that's Terra, the Kingdom Hearts character.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

You must be confused. Terra was Beast Boy's love interest in Teen Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Heres the fun part; none of this really matters because you have a prefab team that absolutely sucks so winning the match is basically "wait until the second half and hope you got enough XP so Tidus can use Jecht Shot" and then playing keep away either fairly or by breaking the enemy AI.

this but also "hope that you win the blitzoff at the start of the match, and also at the beginning of the second half, and then score once as tidus right before the wakka event, and then hope a third time that you win the blitzoff after wakka comes out because you don't keep the ball"

basically it's winning three coin flips in a row that are also weighted against you because your stats are horrible