Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So uh I'm sorry for turning this thread into my personal Dumbass Learning How to Own a Rabbit Thread. I also bought him some Oxbow pellets and he took to them pretty well.

Anyway, I gave Ludo back his gravity waterer and he took to it right away. He peed on the floor this morning, and I noticed that it was very thick. Not "toothpaste thick" like the pages on bladder sludge say, but thicker than I've noticed it before. I'm afraid that may be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Halloween Jack posted:

So uh I'm sorry for turning this thread into my personal Dumbass Learning How to Own a Rabbit Thread. I also bought him some Oxbow pellets and he took to them pretty well.

Anyway, I gave Ludo back his gravity waterer and he took to it right away. He peed on the floor this morning, and I noticed that it was very thick. Not "toothpaste thick" like the pages on bladder sludge say, but thicker than I've noticed it before. I'm afraid that may be a problem.

Keep an eye on it and see what happens over the long weekend. Make sure he's got lots of water and maybe give him lots of lettuce greens/celery/etc to hydrate as well. It's probably a diet-related or dehydration-related thing, but if it sticks around by tuesday-wednesday or gets worse he should see a vet. Did you give him any particular snacks or treats recently? Is the color different/noticeable?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots sure loves to chew on all my loving moving boxes and then fast bunny through the maze that my apartment has turned into.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Carrots sure loves to chew on all my loving moving boxes and then fast bunny through the maze that my apartment has turned into.

You fool! When I moved I kept Harriet away from them.

I am a fool however because I forgot Harriet is very good at escaping and I had to chase her through the boxes.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Applesauce has had the snip on Monday. He's about two and a half years old, and I was really weighing the benefits after multiple ppl told me that if he's not aggressive or territorial it wouldn't change much, but eventually I thought that it's better to be safe now than sorry later. He handled it pretty okay, apart from giving me a scare when he didn't want to eat pellets or hay. Eventually I discovered he accepts nettle leaves. I dunno if it's the daze but he also didn't fight me as much when I had to pick him up and feed him painkillers.

He hated being locked in the cage for Two Whole Days the most though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ludo is fine. He took to the Oxbow pellets and his urine is normal. I just need to get him a spillproof bowl.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I took carrots on a long drive the other day in a new carrier to get him used to car time. The longest he's ever been in the car is probably 10 - 15 minutes on trips to the vet, but I drove around for probably 45-50 minutes. He just loafed and cowered like he normally does for the first 30 minutes, but he seemed to get a little more lively after then and was moving around in his new carrier. Hopefully with even longer time in the car he just gets used to it and acts normal.

Also after driving, I set him up at a park in a collapsable pen that I'll be taking with me. It's easy enough to just drop his carrier in and let him out, and to do the same in reverse to get him back in. I put a litter box in there and some pellets (I hadn't fed him dinner so I had hoped he was hungry) but he was too captivated by being in the outside world to eat. We sat at the park for a good half hour before I gave up and came home. He did eat a small baked hay treat that I gave him, but was too distracted to eat pellets.

The good news is that he was alert and curious in his new habitats, and not just a ball of fear. I was hoping he was going to eat after calming down, and I'm certainly not going to stop at rest stops for an hour at a time, so I'll be taking critical care with me and providing him all the food he could ever want in his carrier while in the car.

The vet checked him out and said he's good to go. I had to send our cat out to my fiancee yesterday via air cargo, and the vet gave us some gabapentin to give to him to calm him for the trip. She gave me dosing information for carrots as well to calm him down if he's too nervous, but advised against it because him being too calm is just going to keep him from moving around and raise the risk of stasis. From what I observed he should be fine, if a little wound up at first in the car.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 6, 2019

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Update. Day one of the drive. He's doing ok. Doesn't seem to love the car, won't eat anything while I'm driving or while we're stopped and I put things in front of him. I'm at a rest stop right now and I doused some veggies in water and then covered them in critical care. I then covered his collapsable pen with some blankets so he couldn't be distracted. Any time I move the blankets, he's too concerned with the outside world to eat.

He has peed a little in his carrier, which I take as a good sign.

Also, if I ever try to give him a treat or scratch his ears while I'm driving, he just kinda sits there until I cover him back up. Then he starts ripping to shreds all the news paper in his carrier. Fussy bun.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Worse comes to worst you can always syringe feed him critical care if the trip’s gonna be more than 2-3 days.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Yeah, seems fine. Eating like normal here at the hotel. So that's one less thing to worry about on what has been an extremely long few days. 1300 miles left to go!
:negative:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Yeah, seems fine. Eating like normal here at the hotel. So that's one less thing to worry about on what has been an extremely long few days. 1300 miles left to go!
:negative:

You type "moving" and as a euro goon I read "somewhere that's a 20/30 minutes drive away from where I currently live, no big deal". Holy smokes, I guess moving in the US can really suck.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Update. Day one of the drive. He's doing ok. Doesn't seem to love the car, won't eat anything while I'm driving or while we're stopped and I put things in front of him.

That's to be expected, none my rabbits enjoyed eating while on the move even when presented with their favorite food. Hopefully he'll settle in a bit.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Yeah, yesterday was kinda rough. It poured rain for about the first 7 hours of driving, so I wasn't able to set up his pen anywhere at any rest stops. I tried stopping in the car and just letting him sit in his carrier without the car moving for a while to feed him, and I did catch him eating a few bits of hay, but not much. He did eat a lot of hay and drink a lot of water when we got to the hotel, though, and he ate all his veggies doused in water and critical care last night. Today is the last day, and the shortest day of driving (8 and a half hours lmao).

Man, driving through the rocky mountains during a rain storm in a manual coupe that is so smashed full of belongings that I can't use my rear view mirror or check my blind spots is not fun. Definitely wouldn't recommend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Can I ask what litter y'all prefer? As with the food I used to buy, I've just been using the Cozy'n'Fresh stuff they have at Tractor Supply. It works, but I feel like I have to really layer it on for it to be properly absorbent, so I go through a 20lb. bag like every 2 weeks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Man, driving through the rocky mountains during a rain storm in a manual coupe that is so smashed full of belongings that I can't use my rear view mirror or check my blind spots is not fun. Definitely wouldn't recommend.

What are you driving? I’m picturing an old E36 BMW right now, mostly because that’s what I have.

Halloween Jack posted:

Can I ask what litter y'all prefer? As with the food I used to buy, I've just been using the Cozy'n'Fresh stuff they have at Tractor Supply. It works, but I feel like I have to really layer it on for it to be properly absorbent, so I go through a 20lb. bag like every 2 weeks.

I don’t remember the brand (maybe arm and hammer? But I think we switched to an unscented variety) but I like paper pellet litter and also feline pine (it should be rabbit safe, they bake out all of the oils).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Small Pet Select. It's also who we get our boxes of timothy hay from. Strong recommend. They also sell pellets but IIRC they're higher-protein with alfalfa and we buy timothy-only for our elderly bunny.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What are you driving? I’m picturing an old E36 BMW right now, mostly because that’s what I have.

2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse. AC went out on me during the drive, so I had to have the windows down, which I don't think carrots was too fond of, but he made it. He's extremely adventurous right now. Our new place had hardwood floors, but we have a big rug laid down in the living room. We thought he would stay confined to the rug, but he's exploring the whole house and rubbing his chin on everything, stopping near me every once in a while for some head rubs.

Halloween Jack posted:

We had been using just some wood fuel pellets. It's like 5 dollars for a 40 pound bag. The dane county humane society recommended it. We put a couple scoops in his litter box over some news paper.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Glad to hear he seems to have made it though the trip just fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
If rabbits weren’t tolerant of that sort of thing we’d have never domesticated or farmed them as successfully as we have.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Hardwood floors have not kept carrots confined to the areas where we have rugs like we hoped it would. Maybe after he gets out of exploration of a new house phase he will stay put, but for now, he's roaming all over the house. It's not the worst thing, but when he gets startled or he decides he needs to quickly move to somewhere else, his little feet just slide all over and he gracefully slides into furniture or walls or whatever until he gets back on to a rug.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I would like to request video of this, ideally with the Blue Danube Waltz playing as accompaniment.

Edit: The gracefully sliding part, not the deliberately scaring your rabbit part.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet is being very helpful in the garden. She will hop onto the patio stones and eat the weeds growing between them. She also offered to help our neighbour. By pulling apart the fence and half climbing through it before I noticed and grabbed her.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet is being very helpful in the garden. She will hop onto the patio stones and eat the weeds growing between them. She also offered to help our neighbour. By pulling apart the fence and half climbing through it before I noticed and grabbed her.

Is your neighbour aware he’s living next to a class 5 weapon owner?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Hardwood floors have not kept carrots confined to the areas where we have rugs like we hoped it would. Maybe after he gets out of exploration of a new house phase he will stay put, but for now, he's roaming all over the house. It's not the worst thing, but when he gets startled or he decides he needs to quickly move to somewhere else, his little feet just slide all over and he gracefully slides into furniture or walls or whatever until he gets back on to a rug.
He likely won't hurt himself. Both of our rabbits used to do this on tile. My old Holland Lop, who I posted about in this thread or the last one way back in 2013, would run around so fast on carpet that he'd slide into things or slam head-first into the dining table legs and poo poo. Rabbits aren't graceful but they're surprisingly durable in this way. As long as your place is reasonably rabbit-proofed (no exposed nails or poo poo) you should be fine. If you're concerned, put some padding up in problem areas.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They have a joint at the base of their skull; it's weird.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Is your neighbour aware he’s living next to a class 5 weapon owner?

Both my neighbours are retired old ladies. They find Harriet adorable. I let them live in ignorance.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I'm thinking of adopting an adult rabbit from a local rescue. I have cared for a rabbit before (my ex had a rabbit and I lived with her for a few years) so I have experience with their needs. I'm considering a setup and would like to know what you folks think of it.

The setup would be composed of two parts -- a pet cage, and a playpen.

The cage is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KB4C1QS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
The Pen is this one (and ultimately maybe two to make more space): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075898NLN/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm seeing the cage as a sort of "safe" spot for the bun; a comfy area with the litter pan and a bunch of hay and a water bowl. I might even look into getting some kind of lid/topper for it so the bun can hide in there, or maybe I'll just get a box or something to put on one side to hide in. Then, the pen would wrap around that cage to give open playspace. I see the rabbit being in the playspace during the day (and night) when I'm not around to babysit, and otherwise can come out and explore the house when I'm around. I'm thinking the total size of the playspace, including the cage, would be 4x8 feet.

I know the cage alone is definitely too small as permanent housing for the bun, but I am thinking would be more of a warren for the bun and a safe place to keep the bun when I need to clean or if there is some work being done in the house.

Thoughts?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 23, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

So, I'm thinking of adopting an adult rabbit from a local rescue. I have cared for a rabbit before (my ex had a rabbit and I lived with her for a few years) so I have experience with their needs. I'm considering a setup and would like to know what you folks think of it.

The setup would be composed of two parts -- a pet cage, and a playpen.

The cage is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KB4C1QS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
The Pen is this one (and ultimately maybe two to make more space): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075898NLN/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm seeing the cage as a sort of "safe" spot for the bun; a comfy area with the litter pan and a bunch of hay and a water bowl. I might even look into getting some kind of lid/topper for it so the bun can hide in there, or maybe I'll just get a box or something to put on one side to hide in. Then, the pen would wrap around that cage to give open playspace. I see the rabbit being in the playspace during the day (and night) when I'm not around to babysit, and otherwise can come out and explore the house when I'm around. I'm thinking the total size of the playspace, including the cage, would be 4x8 feet.

I know the cage alone is definitely too small as permanent housing for the bun, but I am thinking would be more of a warren for the bun and a safe place to keep the bun when I need to clean or if there is some work being done in the house.

Thoughts?

You’re on the right track, but that cage simply will not do. The exercise pen looks perfect tho, and you can put 2+ together to make more room.

You want a rabbit specific cage, I’d say 24”x24”x48” minimum. It needs a roof to keep the bun from hopping out or getting caught on the edge trying to get out. It also can’t have a canvas floor. That will be devoured and dug through and destroyed with waste immediately. Hard floors, with a carpeted surface, are best. Cages must provide a minimum height to allow the rabbit to fully stretch out and enough length to get at least a few good bounding hops in. Two and three-story cages can fit even more room into a tight space (an ex and I had a trio in a 72” high three story cage) but it’s still not a replacement for open space like an ex-pen provides. Good on you for thinking about that.

Also consider getting a bonded pair of rabbits. They’re much better to watch and interact with and rehouse when they’re bonded, IMO. It really opens up a lot of behaviors that solo buns don’t really display.

Are you in the US? Check out Leith petwerks for good rabbit cage designs- although I personally wouldn’t get another since mine chewed through the thin pinewood like it was candy and it doesn’t really stand up great to urine. But similar cages can be had with metal components instead of wood. You can buy their cage and floor/stair components and make your own frames relatively easily.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice! I'll get looking for a different cage. I am in the US so I'll consider Leith, but yikes, those are not cheap.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Rabbits are like dogs and cats. You want em to live to 12, you gotta pay to play

It’s at least a good sense of what proper rabbit cage dimensions should be.

But there are cheaper, probably better Leith alternatives. Leith cages are not as durable as I’d like but they look good and they hold up to having multiple buns in them pretty well all things considered. Rabbits are kinda destructive animals in some ways. I also like them because they’re a very small family business. There aren’t any good big-brand makers of very large indoor rabbit enclosures, as far as I’m aware. You’re kind of limited to small independent manufacturers, or you fabricate your own cage.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Or you're so lazy you just devote a bedroom to rabbit use.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lazy or scared of the floof? She has her own bedroom now cause the lair wasn't working

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Remora posted:

Buddy I’m a millennial in an East Coast city, I can barely afford a bedroom for just myself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Solution: Teach your rabbit to drive for Uber. Time to earn your keep, Mr. Fuzzbutt. :capitalism:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Remora posted:

Be like me and move in your rabbits apartment. I hope she doesn’t kick me out some day.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You also may just get "lucky" when it turns out one of your buns really LOVES exploring, but the other one never sticks her nose out of her main space (even though it's carpeted!).

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Hello rabbit thread, been meaning to post here for a while and finally got around to it. This will be a rather long post, but I'll include lots of pictures along with it. Hope that's okay. :shobon: Also had a couple of questions peppered through the post that I was hoping to get clarifying answers for (Electric Bugaloo you seem like a real pro regarding buns?)

I used to have a pair of Chinese hamsters. One of them died somewhat early on due to respiratory issues, but the other lived for 3 years before she was put to sleep due to a large growth that had developed internally. She was super chill and really sweet, and there through tough times and a lot, and I just randomly cried when I'd think of her for almost a year after until I gave in to my girlfriend's persistent pestering we get a rabbit. Living in New York City, we had to go through a shelter to get one, and I ended up picking the 2nd of 3 rabbits we were allowed to interact with, who is now named Nancy (aka Nanners/Nan Nan).

Here's a pic of her the shelter took when they first got her. Apparently the police picked her up and brought her there. So all I really know about her past is she had a run in with the cops before being sent to bunny jail before I decided to bail her out. They estimate she was anywhere from around 4 months to 1 year old, and she wasn't fixed when they got her. In fact they thought she was male and didn't fix her until the day before we were allowed to take her home. She spent almost a month in the shelter before we adopted her.

The vet we took her to says she's a Harlequin/white dwarf mix, but I thought she was a Rhinelander prior, so I thought she'd get a lot bigger - but she has reached her max size it seems. In this case, would she not basically be a Rhinelander dwarf?

Anyway, here she is absolutely terrified as she was taken home:

She ended up sitting on my lap and drooling on me when I took her out of the box, then proceeded to spend the rest of the day mostly in terrified fear, running into the box I prepared for her cage space and thumping if she even so much heard my voice. On day two, we let her out, and this seemed to clear her fear almost completely - she ran around and binkied like crazy. She doesn't binky like that anymore, but will still do so in bursts while running laps, or more common head twists.

Unfortunately when putting her back in her cage for the night, she looked confused for a moment before going into her box and thumping VERY loudly. Then she peeked her head out, went back in, and thumped very loudly again. I think after being confined to a tiny space for nearly a month in the shelter, the freedom felt extremely liberating for her.

A week later, she seemed to be comfortable enough to lay down next to me:

Friends, co-workers, and people at the vet have all commented on how much they like her ears. I do think they have a really nice pattern to them.

As a first time bunny owner who did a flurry of research prior and during getting her, I think I made a serious mistake in not establishing enough boundaries early on. She seemed to be doing well, chewing only a wire once or twice that accidentally hung from my bed, some plastic, and my Ottoman's legs a bit before stopping when told not to, that I thought she'd be fine to go completely free-range. She started hopping on my bed about 1 1/2 weeks in, licking me randomly whether I was asleep or awake, and I thought all was good.

Until I woke up to the smell of piss. I tried to clean it up, but she just pissed again while I was asleep again. I thought I'd keep vigilant to catch her in the act, and then she pissed the bed when she apparently felt slighted. This time, I did catch her and put her in her cage immediately while firmly saying "NO", but that didn't seem to work. So I did a lot of laundry, scrubbing, and cleaning that week before confining her to her cage at bedtime, covering the bed with dog pee mats and amazon boxes during the day (she hasn't pissed on it since with that covering the bed). That's when I read that it can take up to 6 weeks for hormones to die down post fix. Did I gently caress up and now she will piss on the bed forever if she ever is allowed back on? I used a heavy combination of vinegar and baking soda to kill the piss smell until I couldn't smell it anymore but I don't know if it's enough. I guess the only way to know for sure is let her back on, but I don't want to wake up to rabbit piss again and start to think about how rabbits are Nature's Favorite Snack Food for a reason.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated, as most posts online are just 'haha my rabbit pisses on my bed too, haha!' beyond the 'scold immediately/clean bed'.

Here she is once she realized she was completely banned from the bed. She has tried a few times now to jump on, which would result in me very firmly saying her name and getting up. She'd then hop off and look guilty, but for the most part seems to have accepted it's now off-limits. Now she'll jump up on the Ottoman and stare directly at me, which I know means she's not looking at me, but it's her way of saying she wants attention. What does it mean when she stares straight ahead like this exactly? If she feels ignored, she'll instead jump off and go eat hay before coming back shortly after.

Another photo of her lying down pretty flat

The Ottoman has become the main petting and grooming zone. She hops up there when she wants attention, I'll go over. Sometimes I go sit there, she comes and hops up if she wants attention. I pet and rub her, she tooth purrs, eventually starts doing it rapidly, which is a sign she's about done. Then she'll suddenly sit up, groom herself a bit, then start licking me. Sometimes she goes into a licking frenzy, going around licking me everywhere, jumping off the Ottoman to lick my legs/feet, or waiting expectantly for me to lay down on the floor so she can lick me all over. Sometimes she jumps on my chest and I'll pet her, which will result in further licking everywhere.

I can also expect random licking when I'm cleaning something, like her cage or the floor in general.

Here she is, not knowing how to use her pet bed. She'll do this sometimes.

If she gets on her bed though, it's likely she'll end up flopping. Usually only around the hours of 4 PM - 5:30 PM however for some reason.

She's in pet ready mode. If I come over, she'll usually go from sitting up to going into bun mode, anticipating petting.

She's confused here for some reason, sort of in a half pet ready mode.

It turns out she also seems to like the lamb blanket I got from my work as a holiday gift.

The second story of her cage. She tends to be up here at night, which means I can look right at her while laying down in bed, and vice versa. Recently I came home late after meeting friends to find she had already planted herself there despite not being locked in. Other times she'll be on the Ottoman, seemingly in pet ready mode for me.

Some other tidbits:
- Her destructive levels are minimal so far. About 95% of the time, she doesn't like chewing anything that isn't food. She doesn't dig at anything either.
- She likes doing sprinting laps around the room, sometimes binkying or straight up jumping as she does so. Binkying without running usually results in her crashing into some object.
- She will do head twists before running over sometimes when I greet her.
- Whenever I get home from work (or on weekends when it'd be that time), I give her a bowl of different veggies to much on. I'll run around the room a bit, and she'll chase after me. One time she got a little too eager and clonked her head as I lowered the bowl. She sat there confused for a moment before promptly eating the veggies.
- When I introduce a completely new veggie, she'll leave pieces uneaten for some reason, even though it isn't very much. The next time onward, she eats all of it.
- She's crazy for pellets. It's what I used to get her used to being picked up as she can be quite skittish sometimes (I read smaller rabbits are moreso than bigger?). She was very jumpy at first, but seemed to quickly warm up to being picked up. Now she seems back to being a gamble whether or not she'll jump away once my hands go behind her bum and under her stomach. How come she started doing this again? Unlike at first however, she'll sometimes jump away, then start licking me, which leads to another question - Do rabbits lick other than to show affection? Like is she doing it to show she's scared of me or something? Sometimes she jumps, but then seems to get into 'pick me up' position where she'll let me do so. Sometimes, picking her up also results in her tooth purring or licking me.
- Further on pellets, I have turned it into a hunting game for her. Once I've picked her up and pet her for a bit, I'll ask her if it's pellet time, which usually gets her amped up and excited (rarely, she'll just sit there, seeming to want to be petted more), and then I'll take pellets and hide it all over the room - under the bed, under cardboard pieces, on surfaces, different parts of her cage, etc. During this game is the only time I've seen her get 'destructive'. If she can't reach a pellet for some reason (it got a bit too stuck under a cardboard box or something), she'll start digging and chewing frantically. That's when I help her out.
- In the mornings, it's impossible to wake up and not do anything other than immediately go back to sleep. If it's before 6 AM, she won't react to me doing something like checking my phone for the time. After that though... if she hears even the slightest hint of me being awake, she bolts over to the second story of her cage and stares 'directly' at me. Then she'll do some head twists and run over to where I unlock the cage, attempting to help me open it. Then she'll sit there and wait for me to pet her for a few minutes.
- Her favorite spot to use the bathroom is the top left corner of her litter box. She'll sit there silently for a few minutes, at which point I know she's 'making Cocoa Puffs'.
- She tends to hide during the daytime, but if I look into her hiding spot and speak to her, she usually comes running out to be petted.
- She gets eye boogers almost daily - she'll tooth purr sometimes when I pick it for her.
- She is not a fan of Kaytee brand hay. She'd be picky with it and leave lots of it, mostly the long hard parts. I got her Pet Select 2nd Cutting to see if there'd be a difference, and now she's eating a much higher percentage of it (seems to be over 80%, compared to maybe 50%).

Hope the post isn't too tl;dr and reading about Nanners was enjoyable :) Would appreciate if someone with some expertise could help me gain more insight into the questions I've had floating around in my head. It's been 2 1/2 months with her, and I'm hoping our bond grows stronger and stronger - but oh god, I imagine I'll be even more devastated when her time comes, given how completely broken up I was about my most recent hamster after just three years.

Here's one more picture of her with my legs on the side. I have LED rainbow lights set up in my room, and that was going when some friends came over to meet my bun, one of who took pictures of her with a professional camera. She was very skittish of them at first, but after about 90 minutes, warmed up to them enough that she'd approach and sniff them, and even licked them a bit (her way of saying she likes them?), though still a little jumpy if they moved a bit too quick.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I'll leave the bolded parts to the thread experts, but it sounds like you got a good 'un.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ludo pissed on the couch a couple times shortly after we got him (and shortly after he was fixed). In retrospect I think he was just not acclimated to his new space and new litter box. You were right to eliminate the odors, for sure.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Themata posted:

- In the mornings, it's impossible to wake up and not do anything other than immediately go back to sleep. If it's before 6 AM, she won't react to me doing something like checking my phone for the time. After that though... if she hears even the slightest hint of me being awake, she bolts over to the second story of her cage and stares 'directly' at me. Then she'll do some head twists and run over to where I unlock the cage, attempting to help me open it. Then she'll sit there and wait for me to pet her for a few minutes.

I've trained Broussette to hop my bedside when I wake up and call her in the morning, it's the cutest thing. :3: (Yes, I know it's because I give her some parsley for it)

Nan-chan seems like an A+ bun'. Regarding the bladder issue, fixing them goes a long way but is not a 100% guarantee. Most of the time they do it to express discontent, affirm their spot in the household hierarchy, or when they feel their territory is being threatened. Broussette never attacked my bed (thank god) but she used to consider the couch as the iron throne. -or rather cocoa puff throne- A bunch of bunny jail sentences set her straight eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbits are generally more aggressive about peeing in beds and bathrooms, but every rabbit I had peed on the couch at least once or twice and then stopped. Standing and staring is a good sign - it means she's curious and interested in her environment. Remember that rabbits don't really look ahead. They don't have binocular vision, and they can see almost all the way around them, minus blind spots just behind their tail and just in front of their nose. That's why you want to approach rabbits with your hand from above, not straight ahead like cats or dogs. As long as you move at a normal speed they'll be fine because they can see your hand coming.

She's running from you because she doesn't want to be put into her cage for bed. Rabbits generally dislike being picked up even when they let you do it, and I've never had a rabbit who didn't try to evade bedtime. Licking is indeed a sign of affection (and there's some power dynamics stuff but with a solo rabbit it'll be fine - rabbit behavior is very hierarchical but they bond to humans better than other rabbits for the most part). Rabbits may also lick objects they're attached too like their houses or cages, and they'll often lick pillows or the carpet or things near you when you pet them as a way of returning your attention, because they don't always like the feel of human skin.

All her behaviors are totally normal. It looks like she's doing really well, all the photos show a comfortable and happy rabbit.

edit: She's also already pretty bonded to you, most of that isn't behavior you'd see from a less attached rabbit. That means you're doing the right things and found a rabbit who'll be easy to raise. There can be a lot of luck there because rabbits have so much personality variance.

e2: Also definitely get her spayed as soon as your vet says she's ready. Female rabbits need to get spayed if they aren't being bred, the uterine cancer in unspayed female rabbits who don't breed is crazy high, like 90 percent or something, after 2-3 years.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 4, 2019