Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/RobertFife/status/1172166576520531968?s=20

Trudeau will win a majority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Good a prediction method as any Canadian polling.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It’s like poetry, sort of. They rhyme.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1172202845770268672

Are we gonna have one Green per day?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
the green party is going to implode and it's going to own.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
They've still got 130 more candidates than the NDP? That can't be right

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arcsquad12 posted:

mediocrity obfuscating cruel intentions

Well I've found our thread title

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I'm so glad the government wants to help people buy 700,000 dollar homes now. This seems fine and good.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Can we get bunnyofdoom in here to lick some boots and explain why its ok for JT to skip the debate and also subsidize million dollar homes (i round up for fairness).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Million dollar homes are tear down properties in Vancouver and turranah

Just saying

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

That makes a difference how?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It plays to elder millenials who may be looking to purchase a home in that price range?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

There is absolutely no way the government should be subsidizing a house that costs that much. It is loving ridiculous garbage from a PM that panders to upper class assholes.

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019

RBC posted:

There is absolutely no way the government should be subsidizing a house that costs that much. It is loving ridiculous garbage from a PM that panders to upper class assholes.

Isn't "too expensive" kind of a subjective value though, depending on where you live? Like, if you said "$400,000 is a reasonable limit for house cost" that means a much different house to someone in rural Ontario vs. someone in downtown Vancouver. From what I've seen here in Ottawa, in parts of the city, $600,000+ is often paid by a middle-class family for a middle-class house.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

cappaj posted:

Isn't "too expensive" kind of a subjective value though, depending on where you live? Like, if you said "$400,000 is a reasonable limit for house cost" that means a much different house to someone in rural Ontario vs. someone in downtown Vancouver. From what I've seen here in Ottawa, in parts of the city, $600,000+ is often paid by a middle-class family for a middle-class house.

I'm assuming he's referring to the fact that it's unreasonably expensive and maybe we shouldn't be continuously subsidising people buying them because maybe the cost will go down if nobody is buying them at that price?

I mean, I know people nobody would describe as upper class who've tried to buy houses in that price range though. The secret is lots of debt, multigenerational help on a downpayment (both parents and grandparents pitching in), and maybe a thrifty wedding to raise some money on gifts all together to get a downpayment.

It's dumb as hell though.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2019

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Housing costs are supposed to be three times gross annual salary and the fact that anyone is accepting even a $400K house as 'the new normal' is indicative of the fact that we as a society are completely out to loving lunch when it comes to the massive societal problem of the over inflated value of housing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

cappaj posted:

We're talking about government help for people to buy these homes. If you can explain to me why it is necessary for someone who is buying an 800k home to recieve government help I'm all ears buddy.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the middle class, and those working hard to join the middle class

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

That's me, the middle class member with a $4000 mortgage payment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jokes on all of you, I just plan on inheriting a house :smuggo:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RBC posted:

Can we get bunnyofdoom in here to lick some boots and explain why its ok for JT to skip the debate and also subsidize million dollar homes (i round up for fairness).

You sure do sound like a dick. I wonder why people abandon this thread after a while. Besides you know, the crazy people that love to doxx.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

EvilJoven posted:

Housing costs are supposed to be three times gross annual salary
Citation needed

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Having a debate hosted by probably the most effective media critic of the Trudeau government was always a weird play by Macleans.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

We're talking about government help for people to buy these homes. If you can explain to me why it is necessary for someone who is buying an 800k home to recieve government help I'm all ears buddy.

I think the idea is you can't buy a home that isn't $800k in some areas. For example, why you might live in Peterborough rather than say North York

e: I'm not saying this is good policy, but unless you plan on nationalizing housing, this is going to be a thing.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 12, 2019

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
RBC isn't wrong, and this policy is seriously bad.

However the majority of people in centres with hosed up housing costs don't really care that they are actually wealthy when they are still living in a basement suite or with roommates. This will likely be a vote winner, and should be all the indication needed about how the Liberals are going to tackle this trash fire.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Can't wait for all the shitheads in Manitoba being up in arms about Trudeau skipping debates while having no issues with the provincial Conservatives doing the same thing

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think the BC Libs coming out with a similar policy a few months before the election helped Christy Clark any, I think (hope?) enough people understand that we need to get the price of housing down, not add more money to the market.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think the BC Libs coming out with a similar policy a few months before the election helped Christy Clark any, I think (hope?) enough people understand that we need to get the price of housing down, not add more money to the market.

The amount of people this is going to apply to is small, and I think optimistically there is going to be backlash. We should not be spending a billion dollars on subsidized housing for rich people. It's hosed up.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Why didn't trudeau announce this any time in the last 5 years when he had a large majority in parliament

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

You can buy a 400k home in North York for sure. It might not be in an amazing area and it’ll probably be a condo but it’s not like it’s some sort of human right to have a yard lol. It’s not like people who can afford 800k homes are sleeping in tents.

On top of being wasteful pandering, will it not just drive prices up?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sappy Fingers posted:

Citation needed

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rea...rticle27126408/
https://www.mymoneyblog.com/4-different-rules-of-thumb-for-how-much-house-you-can-afford.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/06/how-much-of-your-income-you-should-be-spending-on-housing.html

I could keep posting more and more but this should be enough to indicate that it is, or at least was, an accepted rule of thumb.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

I think the idea is you can't buy a home that isn't $800k in some areas. For example, why you might live in Peterborough rather than say North York.
Pretty much. A 1,300 sq. ft. bungalow a few blocks from my parents that hadn’t had anything done to it since the late 1970s just went for $950,000. That’s insane.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

That's me, the middle class member with a $4000 mortgage payment.

A quick punch in TD's mortgage calculator shows after a 20% downpayment (that's a different story but stay with me), monthly payments on a 2.87% fixed rate are a bit under $3k/month for an 800k house.

Which is around what a two bedroom apartment in Toronto are approaching.

Don't get me wrong it's all dumb as hell but unless you're saying a person making 70k/year in Toronto is upper class (drat good salary I know but well within the range of what's considered middle-class these days), then two of those could shoulder that even if it wouldn't be fun and that's a stupid amount to have to spend on housing. Assuming they somehow get the downpayment together.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 13, 2019

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

This debate is horrendous but Jagmeet is actually doing well

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I thought Trudeau was dumb and came off as cowardly skipping the debate but now they're just attacking Scheer so smart play Justin

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nvm misread

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

I thought Trudeau was dumb and came off as cowardly skipping the debate but now they're just attacking Scheer so smart play Justin
Mulcair pulled this trick, and look how that worked out for him lol

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

"Just accept that it's a bad idea" :lol:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Scheer is not as good at this as he needs to be and he'll probably get destroyed by Trudeau.

Singh is pretty decent so he could see a bounce in the polls from the debates.

May performed much better than usual in this format with one less leader and more room for her to breathe, but she's kinda long winded, so she might fade back into the background in the main debates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The whole post debate panel says Singh won the debate.