Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

At one point her girth became bigger than her height.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Pookah posted:

I did not realise just how petite Queen Victoria was:

Yikes. Inbreeding is bad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The hobbit queen

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Apparently she was considered small even for the period and by the rest of her family - like, they fretted over her nutrition when she was a girl because of it, and she herself complained that everyone grew up except her. Also the dress there was when she was an old lady and had shrunk a bit, down to about 4 ft 8 from her youthful height of around 5 foot.

Part of the article about the dress described the process of building up a dummy for it to stand on and fitting said dummy with appropriate underclothes, and all I could think was that she would have been so furious.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Sep 13, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Pookah posted:

I did not realise just how petite Queen Victoria was:

Historically accurate representation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-8l3V38Ps

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pookah posted:

all I could think was that she would have been so furious.

Or in other words she would not have been amused?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

Apparently she was considered small even for the period and by the rest of her family - like, they fretted over her nutrition when she was a girl because of it, and she herself complained that everyone grew up except her.

I think "fretting" is a huge understatement. The so called Kensington System that Victoria had to abide was completely stifling:
She could never be alone and had to sleep in her mother's room.
She could not walk down a stair without holding someone's hand.
She could not under any circumstances dance the waltz.
Her daily activities and behavior was recorded in pen and ink.

Tellingly the first thing Victoria did on her 18th birthday was to burn the Kensington System to the ground.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alhazred posted:

I think "fretting" is a huge understatement. The so called Kensington System that Victoria had to abide was completely stifling:
She could never be alone and had to sleep in her mother's room.
She could not walk down a stair without holding someone's hand.
She could not under any circumstances dance the waltz.
Her daily activities and behavior was recorded in pen and ink.

Tellingly the first thing Victoria did on her 18th birthday was to burn the Kensington System to the ground.

Ok, I did not know her childhood was that abusive, holy poo poo.

also

Azhais posted:

Or in other words she would not have been amused?
:golfclap:

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Sep 13, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pookah posted:

Ok, I did not know her childhood was that abusive, holy poo poo.

also

:golfclap:

Its basically the same poo poo with the Japanese royal family even today. The royalty following their own weird system of acceptable behavior and generation-spanning customs which become the mandated laws for them is sort of funny. At some point the court runs the royalty, not the other way around. Unless you have enough support to do scandalous poo poo like "shaking hands with the commoners" or "not wearing white tie after 6 PM".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pookah posted:

Apparently she was considered small even for the period and by the rest of her family - like, they fretted over her nutrition when she was a girl because of it, and she herself complained that everyone grew up except her. Also the dress there was when she was an old lady and had shrunk a bit, down to about 4 ft 8 from her youthful height of around 5 foot.

Part of the article about the dress described the process of building up a dummy for it to stand on and fitting said dummy with appropriate underclothes, and all I could think was that she would have been so furious.

For reference: People were short as hell in the olden tymes. I know Victoria was a bit later than this, but some time ago I went through the conscription rolls for my hometown, and in 1802 the average height of adult males was 62.45 zealandic inches; these are slightly longer than imperial inches, being 1/24th of zealandic alen (62.81 cm), which is 2.62 cm, whereas 1 imperial inch is 2.54 cm.

So: Adult males in my hometown were in 1802 on average 1.63 m or ~5'4.5" imperial.

You can really tell when you walk through doorways in old houses

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Sep 13, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

I went through the conscription rolls for my hometown, and in 1802 the average height of adult males was 62.45 zealandic inches; this is slightly longer than imperial inches at 1/24th of zealandic alen = 62.81cm, which is 2.62 cm, whereas 1 imperial inch is 2.54 cm.

So: Adult males in my hometown were on average 1.63 m or ~5'4.5" in 1802

19th century museum ships and their crew quarters are almost like some sort of weird doll houses. I am well over 1.8m and sometimes I find myself to be one of the shortest dudes in the room. It feels claustrophobic in a room which was meant to house people in average 20 cm shorter than me and build to save space to begin with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Edward I was known as Longshanks because of his unusually intimidating height of...6'2.

I'm the same height. I once went into a 17th century peasant house and found that I was taller than the ceiling beams so I had to duck as I crossed the room.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm 6'5" so yea I've bumped my head a bunch of times. I have to duck under some of the doorways in my parents house (built 1923 iirc).

I have a great great great grandfather who was known as "Big Lars" (1832–1904). Photos show him as being of normal weight so I've always assumed it was his height . I've been trying for years to find out how "big" he actually was but they apparently stopped writing heights in the consciption rolls right around the time he came of age :argh:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

I have a great great great grandfather who was known as "Big Lars" (1832–1904). Photos show him as being of normal weight so I've always assumed it was his height . I've been trying for years to find out how "big" he actually was but they apparently stopped writing heights in the consciption rolls right around the time he came of age :argh:

It wasn't for his height. Wink.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Dr. Harris posted:

That man has the largest penis I have ever seen. I actually don't even know how tall he is; forgot to measure it. I was distracted by the largest penis I have ever seen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Unless it was an ironic name, like a 6'8 guy named Tiny

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Byzantine posted:

lol

I have this photo that would be an excellent guide for his height (standing near the window), except that house burned down in the 1950s (no lie because american tourists tried to barbeque under the thatched roof):

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

His son (my gg-grandpa) was fairly tall (not the same house unfortunately):

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Krankenstyle posted:

His son (my gg-grandpa) was fairly tall (not the same house unfortunately):

Your knob has an origin story.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Alhazred posted:

At one point her girth became bigger than her height.

"Easier to jump over than walk around" is one verbose way of describing fat people in ex-Yugo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

For reference: People were short as hell in the olden tymes. I know Victoria was a bit later than this, but some time ago I went through the conscription rolls for my hometown, and in 1802 the average height of adult males was 62.45 zealandic inches; these are slightly longer than imperial inches, being 1/24th of zealandic alen (62.81 cm), which is 2.62 cm, whereas 1 imperial inch is 2.54 cm.

So: Adult males in my hometown were in 1802 on average 1.63 m or ~5'4.5" imperial.

This is true but it's sometimes overstated, especially with beds or suits of armor. European beds of a certain era were shorter because they slept weird in them, sort of half-sitting up and not fully reclined. Some suits of armor you see in museums that are small were made for noble kids or teens as training wheels. They're in good shape because they weren't ever used in combat. Turns out a lot of armor used by knights are made for big, athletically built dudes that wouldn't look out of place on a modern football pitch.

Height has some environmental factors, especially childhood nutrition and disease exposure. Columbus noted that the Taino he encountered on the Antilles were all really tall and healthy looking. Plains Indians were also real tall, due to a plentiful and diverse diet. Definitely not the case if you're a subsistence farmer who had a few lean winters during your formative years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah true, it's important to look into the source if there are any biases or unstated assumptions.

A lot of them were defintely malnourished, but this was literally every adult male in the town being measured by representatives of the state at a time when measuring things had been important to the govt for centuries. Although the metrical system was not invented yet, the govt was very much into precise measurements. I've seen fines levied on millers for hollowing out the bushel they used to take their fee from farmers, and complaints about yardsticks being moved an inch around farmland.

But also tbf, another ancestor is called "short" when he's enrolled at 18 in 1774, but in the 1802 rolls he is 64.5 zealand inches (1.69 cm) so who knows

Decrepus posted:

Your knob has an origin story.

please dont think about my great*n grandpas knob

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

canyoneer posted:

Height has some environmental factors, especially childhood nutrition and disease exposure. Columbus noted that the Taino he encountered on the Antilles were all really tall and healthy looking. Plains Indians were also real tall, due to a plentiful and diverse diet. Definitely not the case if you're a subsistence farmer who had a few lean winters during your formative years.
I remember reading that the Japanese army's officer training just prior to WWII was so brutal that the officer candidates who came out of it had their growth objectively stunted. Now they were certainly tough, but they were also like two, three inches shorter than the average conscript.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

I remember reading that the Japanese army's officer training just prior to WWII was so brutal that the officer candidates who came out of it had their growth objectively stunted. Now they were certainly tough, but they were also like two, three inches shorter than the average conscript.

The modern day North Korean guards at the DMZ are also noticeably smaller than their South Korean counterparts and that split is less than 80 years ago. And probably both countries send their best, most imposing dudes to that job. So it definitely is nutrition and harshness issue.

Also, American/European dudes tend to impose both of them, so there are also some genetics involved, possibly?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah for sure the height average difference between North & South Koreans is purely nutrition. They even both get their tall dudes to stand at the DMZ, plus the Americans put one of their tall guys too just to annoy off NK.

e: iirc you'd be eligible for the royal guard if you were 65+ z. inches (~170 cm)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

The modern day North Korean guards at the DMZ are also noticeably smaller than their South Korean counterparts and that split is less than 80 years ago. And probably both countries send their best, most imposing dudes to that job. So it definitely is nutrition and harshness issue.

Also, American/European dudes tend to impose both of them, so there are also some genetics involved, possibly?

Genetics are absolutely a factor too.
Korea is a good example because all the old women you see walking around South Korea look TINY. Probably has something to do with being a kid during periods of war and extreme famine.

Here's a good source of data about human height over time
https://ourworldindata.org/human-height

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Der Kyhe posted:

I feel like it's veering into :biotruths: but my understanding is that your potential height is rooted in your genetics and that some population regions, like west Africa and north Europe, have a notably high potential max height. (It's probably more like "the composite of various factors affecting how long your legs are, how long your spine is, and so on.") Most people realize a certain percentage of that potential while growing up, and nowadays, especially in the West, we have relatively few epidemics and relatively abundant food, so people are realizing more of that potential.

So yeah the NK/ROK guard comparison probably shows the difference in that background very clearly. I imagine the divergence was a lot less clear in, say, the 80s or early 90s, where the troops would have grown up in less divergent economic circumstances.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Height has inheritable epigenetic factors as well. When you go through a famine, your kids and grandkids will be shorter even if they've had good nutrition since birth. So it's not necessarily genetically hardwired, it's that most people in the various eras we're talking about probably weren't more than two generations away from a serious famine. That's probably why average height here in the UK is still going up, although my parents had good nutrition all their lives we're still only a few generations down the line from war rationing, and before that from lovely 19th century factory workers or whatever

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

But also tbf, another ancestor is called "short" when he's enrolled at 18 in 1774, but in the 1802 rolls he is 64.5 zealand inches (1.69 cm) so who knows

I’d say that’s pretty short!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The late Sudanese American basketball player Manute Bol was 7'7". He says his great grandfather was 7'10" :eyepop:

quote:

Bol came from a family of extraordinarily tall men and women. "My mother was 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m), my father 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m), and my sister is 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)", he said. "And my great-grandfather was even taller—7 ft 10 in (2.39 m)." His ethnic group, the Dinka, and the Nilotic people of which they are a part, are among the tallest populations in the world. Bol's hometown, Turalei, is the origin of other exceptionally tall people, including 7 ft 4 in (2.24 m) basketball player Ring Ayuel

At one point, he was the tallest NBA player ever, but another has since edged him out by 1/4 inch.
He is however, the only known NBA player who has killed a lion with a spear, and will probably hold that record forever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

I’d say that’s pretty short!

but compared to the 62.5 inch average it wasnt

Magnus Manfist posted:

Height has inheritable epigenetic factors as well. When you go through a famine, your kids and grandkids will be shorter even if they've had good nutrition since birth. So it's not necessarily genetically hardwired, it's that most people in the various eras we're talking about probably weren't more than two generations away from a serious famine. That's probably why average height here in the UK is still going up, although my parents had good nutrition all their lives we're still only a few generations down the line from war rationing, and before that from lovely 19th century factory workers or whatever

interesting! im pretty sure the average has consistently gone up here since at least 1900 (and probably earlier). but i mean at some point there's got to be a limit, but we aint seeing it yet

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Sep 13, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

canyoneer posted:

The hobbit queen

Please, this is something awful. We'd call her a womanlette

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Old houses also tend to be smaller because it saved on materials and a smaller space is much easier to heat.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
people were short in cities in the medieval through early modern periods; medieval peasants on farms still ate well but once capitalism started the country folk in Victorian times also became small. it was because none of those people received adequate childhood nutrition. saxons were modern size. armor is also weird bc it's often displayed assembled into a sort of homunculus when actually in real life on a human there would have been gaps at the joints with padding/gambison/etc visible. this compresses the armor and makes it look smaller than it was.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Old houses also tend to be smaller because it saved on materials and a smaller space is much easier to heat.

false

the material difference between a 60" ground floor and one that's 70" is like 1-2 rigsdaler of stones & clay (of a ~20 rigsdaler total), hardly any difference in wood. they were built low because they didnt have to build tall.

plus most of the materials for a house were usually from an old house or ruin, so you only had to pay for the new materials

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Sep 13, 2019

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

but compared to the 62.5 inch average it wasnt

interesting! im pretty sure the average has consistently gone up here since at least 1900 (and probably earlier). but i mean at some point there's got to be a limit, but we aint seeing it yet

Well the average might be going up because more of the population have good nutrition and max height rather than the max going up I guess

InediblePenguin posted:

people were short in cities in the medieval through early modern periods; medieval peasants on farms still ate well but once capitalism started the country folk in Victorian times also became small. it was because none of those people received adequate childhood nutrition. saxons were modern size. armor is also weird bc it's often displayed assembled into a sort of homunculus when actually in real life on a human there would have been gaps at the joints with padding/gambison/etc visible. this compresses the armor and makes it look smaller than it was.

I wonder if there was a big class divide in a lot of cultures too, where the nobility where more likely to come from a line of well fed dudes and the poor went through regular famines. Would reinforce ideas of the natural class heirarchy if you were a foot taller than the plebs

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ever wondered how you poop on a sailing ship? Not on the poop deck, that's for sure (that comes from French word for the stern of the ship, la poupe)

Nope, you go to the front of the ship (the head), bring a friend with you (or tell someone), climb over the front rail, drop trou and poop in the sea while holding onto the side of the ship or some rope.
There is no toilet paper, but there IS a strategically placed length of rope dragging in the ocean that you can haul up and use the wet end to clean up. Hope you don't have to go in bad weather, because it's a little dangerous even in calm seas.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

InediblePenguin posted:

I can't find the reference, but I recall reading that much of the armor that you see sitting around in castles was made for display purposes, and was smaller than usual.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Azathoth Prime posted:

I can't find the reference, but I recall reading that much of the armor that you see sitting around in castles was made for display purposes, and was smaller than usual.

Suits of armour were insanely expensive and it seems unlikely that smiths would go to the trouble of making them purely for display. Source: my brother is a blacksmith who specialises in recreating historically accurate armour and weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Krankenstyle posted:

false

the material difference between a 60" ground floor and one that's 70" is like 1-2 rigsdaler of stones & clay (of a ~20 rigsdaler total), hardly any difference in wood. they were built low because they didnt have to build tall.

plus most of the materials for a house were usually from an old house or ruin, so you only had to pay for the new materials

Maybe for you people that live where trees grow on trees but over here we only had driftwood so unless you were rich enough to import wood you had to build your tiny mudhut hovel as tiny and hovely as possible.