Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ibram Gaunt posted:

He said he didn't want to flush all the hard work the people did on the Issac DLC down the toilet because of this.

There are probably contractual obligations as well that prevent him from pulling out without eating a bunch of penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Studio posted:

To be quite honest those are all things I know very little about from the perspective of an Indie Dev, so I kind of want to know more. Like, is the complaint about cliques related to access and media promotion, or is he just mad that he isn't friends with some popular indie devs???

He was saying that in a conversation with his buddy Notch...

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

He was saying that in a conversation with his buddy Notch...

:eng99:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Studio posted:

To be quite honest those are all things I know very little about from the perspective of an Indie Dev, so I kind of want to know more. Like, is the complaint about cliques related to access and media promotion, or is he just mad that he isn't friends with some popular indie devs???

It was around the Indie Awards time. Hopefully, a vice interview can suffice?

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/mvx5mp/pills-poop-and-pentagrams-in-conversation-with-indie-gaming-legend-edmund-mcmillen-100

Naturally, certain people took this spin and ran with it, corruption, ethics, he's on our side and all that horseshit.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's just... he's not a piece of poo poo, like the other guys that get discussed. He's not abusing his wife, taking advantage of his fans or converting children to Nazism (as far as I'm aware). He just doesn't always get why you shouldn't use certain words in certain contexts. I'm still happy to buy his games, but I don't think we'd get on in real life.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah, I'm not shouting from the rooftops that Edmund McMillen is a bad guy, he is certainly no Brad Wardell. I'm not actually expecting him to pull all his games from Nicalis. Just if you get the easiest layup in the world of "condemn racism" and don't take it I'm gonna remember it next time I look at one of your games. I think McMillen is getting a lot more consideration anyway because of the content of his games.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 13, 2019

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So it's not sexual assault, but the Game Director for Stellaris follows a lot of alt-right figures on Twitter, as discovered by @plainoldchair and posted here by forums user WhiskeyJuvenile:

https://twitter.com/plainoldchair/status/1171519694949347328 (thread)

It's a pretty bad look given the subject matter of a lot of Paradox games. It got posted on the official forums and was quickly swept under the rug. The Stellaris Thread here has been split along "gently caress anyone who gives people like IMC the time of day. This recontextualises a lot of stuff in Stellaris in a bad way and makes spotty implementation of new features look like a The Great Replacement simulator" and "gently caress this I just want spacegames" lines with one of the latter voices having a Balkenkreuz in their avatar. They said it was an innocent thing from some old internet argument but just :cripes:

Is there any possible course of action here? Is it appropriate to want to want the developer (Paradox as a whole and the individual concerned) to be more politically conscious? The previous game director wore some Make Space Great Again hats before the 2016 election when it looked like Trump was a total joke, and those got retired pretty darn quick. While there's not been anything (to my knowledge) posted by Moregård himself that'd be alt-right, it still seems really fishy to be linked to those accounts.

Also there's a pretty fash mod that's been up for years, per the thread.

As a New Zealander and a Paradox fan, I was glad to see that there was at least some effort to tone down the lovely racist memes from the CK2, EUIV, HOI4 camps in the wake of the Christchurch shooting, but I just don't know what the heck is going on anymore there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Considering Paradox makes every grognard chud's favourite Make The Nazis Win WW2 simulator (also known as the Hearts of Iron series) this doesn't really come as a surprise to me. The community of those games has a very, very, very intensely bad reputation. Wouldn't have degenerated that far if the developers and by association the community managers actually cared, I think.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Anticheese posted:

So it's not sexual assault, but the Game Director for Stellaris follows a lot of alt-right figures on Twitter, as discovered by @plainoldchair and posted here by forums user WhiskeyJuvenile:

New Thread Title please:
So it's not sexual assault, but check out who this guy follows on twitter!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hah. Yeah, fairly lovely phrasing but like...I dunno I felt it still fell under the umbrella of probably lovely stuff in games industry figures that is worth looking at? :shrug:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My opinion on the projared stuff is basically that if you're a popular youtuber, with an audience probably consisting of a lot of children, since that's a huge portion of the videogame youtube market, then it is incredibly skeevy to use that clout to set up a website for you to trade nudes, no matter if you're verifying that they're over-18.

Essentially, this tweet thread:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1166602057018728450

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1166603038888476673

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
If you're just now finding out that gaming has a sizeable contingent of crypto-fascists, I'm not sure what to tell you.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Incoherence posted:

If you're just now finding out that gaming has a sizeable contingent of crypto-fascists, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Probably "Keep looking around because they exist a lot of places and should be noticed and dealt with."

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

Anticheese posted:

You'd think after Paradox got lambasted for the 'Deus Vult!' tweet promoting CK2 that they'd be more diligent in monitoring their social media presence for potential blunders. Being adjacent to the community as a fan of their games, I can't say I'm surprised. Just disappointed. I'd love some recommendations for grand strategy games from another studio but I suppose I should take that to a different thread.

graveportents fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 14, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have bad news for you, no grand strategy game is gonna be fascist free. It’s kind of the nature of the genre

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Honestly I was fairly surprised they resisted the urge to name Holy Fury "Deus Vult!"

I can't remember of Moregard is one of the Pdox devs who is also a goon but might be worth posting in the Paradox general thread, it'll probably be seen by one of them and might get a response.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

'History' games period are always gonna have different flavors of intolerable people in all the different nooks and crannies of the community, nowhere even close to limited to just nazis, I've run across a whole lotta Stalin apologists, theocracy lust and more in there too, that's unfortunately something that's just not getting fixed, a game with a focus on any given period of time where you can futz around with the events as any side is always going to have people who support whack poo poo skulking around, so as long as it's not pushing content that's just up front nazi poo poo or tankie poo poo or fundie poo poo then the game itself is fine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

'History' games period are always gonna have different flavors of intolerable people in all the different nooks and crannies of the community, nowhere even close to limited to just nazis, I've run across a whole lotta Stalin apologists, theocracy lust and more in there too, that's unfortunately something that's just not getting fixed, a game with a focus on any given period of time where you can futz around with the events as any side is always going to have people who support whack poo poo skulking around, so as long as it's not pushing content that's just up front nazi poo poo or tankie poo poo or fundie poo poo then the game itself is fine.

yeah thats honestly any history communities in general sadly. i belong to a bunch of history meme pages and at least twice a week there will be unironic nazi/facist poo poo, the stuff gets taken down quick but still.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 14, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

graveportents posted:

You'd think after Paradox got lambasted for the 'Deus Vult!' tweet promoting CK2 that they'd be more diligent in monitoring their social media presence for potential blunders. Being adjacent to the community as a fan of their games, I can't say I'm surprised. Just disappointed. I'd love some recommendations for grand strategy games from another studio but I suppose I should take that to a different thread.

I mean that's hardly even the biggest misstep Paradox has made in recent memory, considering it's been less than a year since Martin Ericcson, the guy they put in charge of the Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop RPG revival, who himself had a number of extremely lovely moments leading up to the game's release (talk of returning werewolves to their "crypto-fascist eco terrorist" roots, hiring on noted serial harasser and later outed rapist and abuser Zak S to author a tie-in app game, casual 1488 references in playtest materials, he likes signing off on his blog with "Blood and Souls!" etc etc) caused a no-fooling international incident with the Chechnyan government when he tasteless decided to put a ripped-from-the-headlines plot hook in the game about how the Chechen government's anti-gay purges were all part of a sinister vampiric cabal. Even if people going "hey wow this is actually really tasteless" wouldn't normally motivate corporations, the threat of translators being arrested and the Chechen government (who of course angrily deny that the purges are even happening) making noise were enough to result in Paradox finally moving to exercise greater oversight and control over their White Wolf subsidiary, no longer allowing it to operate on its own, and Ericcson would eventually be shitcanned down the line as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

He comes across as one of those Yang nuts more than anything. They seem to buy into alt-right conspiracies quite readily as excuses why newbie Andrew Yang doesn't have political traction.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 14, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I mean that's hardly even the biggest misstep Paradox has made in recent memory, considering it's been less than a year since Martin Ericcson, the guy they put in charge of the Vampire: the Masquerade tabletop RPG revival, who himself had a number of extremely lovely moments leading up to the game's release (talk of returning werewolves to their "crypto-fascist eco terrorist" roots, hiring on noted serial harasser and later outed rapist and abuser Zak S to author a tie-in app game, casual 1488 references in playtest materials, he likes signing off on his blog with "Blood and Souls!" etc etc) caused a no-fooling international incident with the Chechnyan government when he tasteless decided to put a ripped-from-the-headlines plot hook in the game about how the Chechen government's anti-gay purges were all part of a sinister vampiric cabal. Even if people going "hey wow this is actually really tasteless" wouldn't normally motivate corporations, the threat of translators being arrested and the Chechen government (who of course angrily deny that the purges are even happening) making noise were enough to result in Paradox finally moving to exercise greater oversight and control over their White Wolf subsidiary, no longer allowing it to operate on its own, and Ericcson would eventually be shitcanned down the line as well.

I feel like this one is a result of the main branch not giving a poo poo about tabletop and subsequently not even noticing it until it blows up in your face

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

I feel like this one is a result of the main branch not giving a poo poo about tabletop and subsequently not even noticing it until it blows up in your face

It was 100% exactly that, but like with a lot of things there was plenty of effort to bring stuff like this to Paradox's attention in the hopes they'd take action earlier and they either didn't take it seriously or simply didn't care. Ericsson was doing this poo poo for nearly two years until the book finally went to print and whoops, suddenly Ramzan Kadyrov is leaving us angry voicemails and calling our foreign language translators in to testify.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Anticheese posted:

Is there any possible course of action here?
yes: play video games instead of policing wrongthink

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

muon posted:

Real inconspicuous first post in the thread.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

muon posted:

You need a wedgie

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I remember the part of 1984 where Big Brother punishes the citizens for wrongthink by not buying video games from them. Chilling stuff.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

my favorite subgroup is the hardcore nationalists from tiny rear end central European countries who truly believe that if history had worked out slightly differently the whole world would be united under glorious Bosnovia or whatever

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Friend of mine has a wee wargame on Steam, fake world, fake nations.

Every month or so he has to clear the Nazi poo poo out of the steam workshop. It gets everywhere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

muon posted:

Bet this guy uses lots of gamer words

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my favorite subgroup is the hardcore nationalists from tiny rear end central European countries who truly believe that if history had worked out slightly differently the whole world would be united under glorious Bosnovia or whatever
Don't hate me just because I've awakened to the glory of Andorra's manifest destiny, man.

But yeah, alt-history games invite lots of weirdoes. Luckily, at least a good part of these types is genuinely harmless, if crazy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, I tend to agree that while consumers can very comfortably air their grievances and so on, it seems unreasonable to expect everyone in the industry to have to vocally cut ties and denounce anyone they may have worked with in the past because of something they said or did online. In the same way we can’t expect victims to want to open themselves harassment and criticism and being called a liar, going out of your way to make a big post on social media to assure everyone “I know we used to work with this creep but he sucks and we all hate him and won’t work with him anymore” can have serious repercussions on your ability to work and put food on the table. It’s unrealistic to expect everyone in the industry to fall into lockstep regarding the right way to handle these things, mostly because the issue is so pervasive and seemingly omnipresent.

I don’t automatically assume everyone is a Nazi or a sex pest because someone they had to work with is a nazi or a paedo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Don't hate me just because I've awakened to the glory of Andorra's manifest destiny, man.
But yeah, alt-history games invite lots of weirdoes. Luckily, at least a good part of these types is genuinely harmless, if crazy.
They may not be directly threatening to the USA. But those countries do have their own variants of extreme right / nazi-wannabes. A bunch of weirdos from Greece having a circle jerk over on the Total War Medieval 2 forums about how the glorious Byzantine empire held back the unwashed muslim hordes in their campaign may look silly. But it can be a breeding ground for extremism.
If there's one thing we all should have learned over the last few years it's that people just posting poo poo on the Internet isn't always harmless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t automatically assume everyone is a Nazi or a sex pest because someone they had to work with is a nazi or a paedo.
To be fair, I've not seen people do that here either. Everyone was very sympathetic to how shocked and uncomfortable the people who had to work with Holowka felt about the whole issue once his worse behaviour came to light.

Also, just to ask something completely unrelated, what's with that sex pest term? I find myself not really liking it. It makes sexual harassment sound a lot more harmless than it is.

Raygereio posted:

If there's one thing we all should have learned over the last few years it's that people just posting poo poo on the Internet isn't always harmless.
Fair enough, although I think it's a bit godwin to compare the Napoleon Syndrome version of overbearing national pride outright with Nazism like that.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 14, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cardiovorax posted:

To be fair, I've not seen people do that here either. Everyone was very sympathetic to how shocked and uncomfortable the people who had to work with Holowka felt about the whole issue once his worse behaviour came to light.

Also, just to ask something completely unrelated, what's with that sex pest term? I find myself not really liking it. It makes sexual harassment sound a lot more harmless than it is.

It's a term originating from UK tabloid newspapers that was probably originally chosen because it's short and easy to fit into a headline and picked up by the internet because it sounds catchy. I agree it's not the best term to use to describe a lot of the stuff detailed in threads like this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

professor metis posted:

My opinion on the projared stuff is basically that if you're a popular youtuber, with an audience probably consisting of a lot of children, since that's a huge portion of the videogame youtube market, then it is incredibly skeevy to use that clout to set up a website for you to trade nudes, no matter if you're verifying that they're over-18.

Essentially, this tweet thread:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1166602057018728450

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1166603038888476673

my gf put his apology video on in the background for some reason and we both went in going "ah hes probably innocent" and came out going "lol this guy is guilty AF"

the whole video is such a politicians response and he never actually denies anything. he literally says "but i dont recall ever doing something like that" whenever accused of doing something rather than saying he just didnt do it. to the point he apologised for doing things that later he "remembered he didnt do" lol
he also opens big on his accusers being mentally ill but then pretends thats not what hes implying

what a scumbag

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hell yeah, one of my fav things i noticed about the TW community early on
its skeevy and nazi-adjacent but its fun to know other people are taught that their countries are the best, instead of correctly being taught that the UK is a world-straddling collosus that beat the germans in both world wars

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair enough, although I think it's a bit godwin to compare the Napoleon Syndrome version of overbearing national pride outright with Nazism like that.
If you want a basic example: Back when I still frequented the TWCenter, I often saw people referencing the Megali Idea and post about establishing their Hellenic state. Which is straight up a Golden Dawn (Greek nazis) talking point. And with how youtube works, once you watch a Let's Play of someone's campaign where they crusade to Jeruzalem, you will get recommended videos that talk about Europe being under siege from Islam and how there needs to be a new, real crusades.
You're free to godwin-wave it away as nonsense. And honestly it probably is in most cases. But some people do fall down the rabbit hole and end up marching with tiki torches.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 14, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, alright, that's a bit more over the edge than the average armchair alt-historian, gotta agree. The majority of the types I've seen were basically just writing fanfiction about their favourite little speck of national dirt. This here is a bit more concerning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

my gf put his apology video on in the background for some reason and we both went in going "ah hes probably innocent" and came out going "lol this guy is guilty AF"

the whole video is such a politicians response and he never actually denies anything. he literally says "but i dont recall ever doing something like that" whenever accused of doing something rather than saying he just didnt do it. to the point he apologised for doing things that later he "remembered he didnt do" lol
he also opens big on his accusers being mentally ill but then pretends thats not what hes implying

what a scumbag

i mean the fact is even if the girls were 18 he's still a creepy weirdo. not just because macking on 18 year old fans as a married dude in your 30s is creepy as poo poo, but because the way he was going about it was creepy as poo poo. the entire tumblr sexring consisted of giant speeches about how 'sex positive this space is' and how 'we're exploring ourselves,' it was the most obviously manipulative poo poo in the world. just say you wanna gently caress and ask if any girls wanna see your cock + balls like a normal person, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Anticheese posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, I was looking forward to the next DLC. Goddamnit :dogbutton: