Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hockey?
This poll is closed.
hockey 0 0%
sure 0 0%
hickey, thomas hickey 0 0%
86 100.00%
Total: 86 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1172665828749262848?s=19

That salary structure is wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gonz posted:

As a Lions fan, I fear that it is my duty to reassure you that hope is a lie and God is dead and the Leafs are the NHL version of the Lions and will never amount to anything, no matter how many times the roster turns over or how many new coaches they hire.

God is real, He has just cursed the Lions.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Marner owns, but $33mil for 3 forwards is wild, add in Nylanders $6.9 and forward depth could be a problem going forward

Kerfoot and Johnsson are signed for the next 4 years, and Kapanen is signed for the next 3.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
in news no one cares about, Quinn says the initial plan is to play Buchnevich with Panarin and Zibanejad, and Kakko and Kravtsov will have to "earn" top six minutes.

Which...isn't crazy, why throw them in, it's easy enough to change lines if necessary.

Sounds like Chytil will get a crack at 2C with Kreider and likely Kakko. Andersson and Howden both getting looks at C as well to fill out the roster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You know sometimes cap space is good but sometimes that extra space just gets used on Jack Johnson. Marner getting 1-2 million more cap hit than Leafs fans hoped isn't gonna sink the Leafs.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
spending like 50% of the cap on 4 guys might tho lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/icethetics/status/1172675076434456576

:gizz:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yoooooooooooooooo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

spending like 50% of the cap on 4 guys might tho lol

All forwards at that

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Twin Cinema posted:

Kerfoot and Johnsson are signed for the next 4 years, and Kapanen is signed for the next 3.

Hyman is signed for a bit as well, and there are no aged veteran "depth" forwards left (I think).

Glad Marner is signed but oh lord the Toronto drama. Cannot even count how many pearl clutching baby boomers viciously wrote him off for his "greed" and how the team is going to resent him and the locker room is poison now. I feel like hockey is going to be so much better when this generation dies off. If the rest of civilization somehow survives. Also the pundits predicted a wave of RFA signings once Marner signed and I hope they're wrong and there is a lot more drama so lovely fans can stroke out on all the conjecture.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

The Dirty Burger posted:

Marner owns, but $33mil for 3 forwards is wild, add in Nylanders $6.9 and forward depth could be a problem going forward

I think their defence is whats gonna be lacking... the only nhl dmen they have signed the year after are Rielly and i guess Sandin will be ready by then? Dermott is an rfa but other then that their gonna have to hopefully resign Barrie and pickup a few more..

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I can think of worse things than having a collection of the best forwards in the league locked up for a while.

Plus, having RFAs signed to these contracts is better than having UFAs. They typically create more value and are worth more than they’re paid in their early-20s.

Tavares is better than the typical UFA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Huggybear posted:

Hyman is signed for a bit as well, and there are no aged veteran "depth" forwards left (I think).

Glad Marner is signed but oh lord the Toronto drama. Cannot even count how many pearl clutching baby boomers viciously wrote him off for his "greed" and how the team is going to resent him and the locker room is poison now. I feel like hockey is going to be so much better when this generation dies off. If the rest of civilization somehow survives. Also the pundits predicted a wave of RFA signings once Marner signed and I hope they're wrong and there is a lot more drama so lovely fans can stroke out on all the conjecture.

my friend there are people far younger than boomers in this very forum who were every bit as angry and dismissive

and yeah tronnah is gonna socre a whole mess of goals this year but they're gonna have to when the blue line and goaltending is ranging from a punchline to average at best

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

my friend there are people far younger than boomers in this very forum who were every bit as angry and dismissive

and yeah tronnah is gonna socre a whole mess of goals this year but they're gonna have to when the blue line and goaltending is ranging from a punchline to average at best

So you're saying that Toronto is gonna be lots of fun to watch, I agree.

Only four more days until the first preseason Red Wings game.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Toronto will be fine, and worst case will be fun to watch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh yedah toronto's going to be a good team, they're just going to get stuck in the 1st round again

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

oh yedah toronto's going to be a good team, they're just going to get stuck in the 1st round again

I don't think so, unless the Wings somehow make the playoffs.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Thats Eaves done

Kesler I can see trying one more time to come back next year

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

You know sometimes cap space is good but sometimes that extra space just gets used on Jack Johnson. Marner getting 1-2 million more cap hit than Leafs fans hoped isn't gonna sink the Leafs.

Exactly the same argument was made about Tavares and Matthews and Nylander. If you keep signing guys to above market deals you leave little margin for error and have to draft well and pick up league minimum bargains every year. It's not impossible but why make life harder for yourself?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

I don't think so, unless the Wings somehow make the playoffs.

They haven't gotten past round 1 in 15 years and the last time they got to a conference championship was 2002.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Haha, Ryan Kesler's wikipedia page has 2000 words on his time in Vancouver and 80 words on his time in Anaheim.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

They haven't gotten past round 1 in 15 years and the last time they got to a conference championship was 2002.

That means they are very well-rested to get to the second round and lose to Tampa Bay probably.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
water wet, sky blue, leafs lose to bruins in 7 in the first round

the circle of life

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Exactly the same argument was made about Tavares and Matthews and Nylander. If you keep signing guys to above market deals you leave little margin for error and have to draft well and pick up league minimum bargains every year. It's not impossible but why make life harder for yourself?

You do it because otherwise you wouldn’t have the really good players on your team. We all saw what the Leafs teams of the early Kessel era looked like when they were icing one good dude and a whole roster of okayish guys on $4-5M/yr deals, it was miserable. Most guys you’ll be able to acquire for the difference in dollars aren’t even worth it in terms of value anyway.

By my math the Leafs have lost out on enough to sign... one decent FA? It’s not ideal but I prefer this scenario to the other potential ones.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Holy gently caress those jerseys own

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Now give me the Blues new vintage jersey

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

You do it because otherwise you wouldn’t have the really good players on your team. We all saw what the Leafs teams of the early Kessel era looked like when they were icing one good dude and a whole roster of okayish guys on $4-5M/yr deals, it was miserable. Most guys you’ll be able to acquire for the difference in dollars aren’t even worth it in terms of value anyway.

By my math the Leafs have lost out on enough to sign... one decent FA? It’s not ideal but I prefer this scenario to the other potential ones.

That's the other thing. What is the alternative here? Playing hardball with your top players? If I'm a Leafs fan I'd rather slightly overpay for Marner and have him from training camp on than have to risk it being another Nylander situation.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I don't really know what to think about defense going into the playoffs after seeing what the Penguins iced for their recent cup wins.

That's the power of the goalie getting hot I suppose. Maybe it was somehow better than I remember or everyone played above their heads.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 14, 2019

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Murray is never dealing with Carolina again so long as Dundon is the owner

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Totally forgot the Stars signed Pavelski. Yet I totally remember they signed FCP.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Well at least he's my fucker for 6 more years. Good luck with the Devils and signing Taylor Hall, I never want to hear the name Darren Ferris ever again.

Really, really hoping the cap balloons as much as some people think it will with a new TV deal and Seattle joining. Then it's more about having your top 4 players making 40-45% of the cap... This whole thing has worn me out, bring on the hockey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

So there's still a while till anything worth watching is on, without saying who won, what are some games that are worth watching to pass the time?

As in great/memorable NHL games from modern times?

Hawks/Kings game 7 2014

October 27, 2011 - Flyers v. Jets

Bruins/Maple Leafs Game 7 2013

If you don't know what I'm talking about with that last one, watch it first.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Check out the 2011 finals and 94 finals while you're at it.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Sorry should have been clearer, I have NHL tv subscription, I think only goes back to 2016ish.

So either some crazy back and forward games or even where a goalie stands on their head against all odds.

hahayup
Sep 14, 2007

thick lush back hair. someone get me a pony.

goldrush posted:

I took in a bit of Canucks camp today, and lord was Virtanen chunkin' it out there during the bag skate. I want to shotgun many beers this season, but it looks like he's been shotgunning a few of his own this offseason. At least he seemed to be in high spirits out there despite being in the scrub group...

Hope he can get back on the saddle! He's got such potential, T H I C C with some skill, could be a good year for him if he pulls his head out of his huge muscular butt cheeks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

Sorry should have been clearer, I have NHL tv subscription, I think only goes back to 2016ish.

So either some crazy back and forward games or even where a goalie stands on their head against all odds.

Watching Vegas’s run to the cup finals.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1172865343313891336

The suspension is likely for lying to the NHL about it when the images first surfaced.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 14, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

gently caress yes, do want

also lol at the money Toronto threw at Marner. I get he's good - but Jesus that's a lot of money for one player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Officially "inappropriate conduct" for Kuzys, 3 games