Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

lol except for the video of a houthi leader claiming responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

this FF7 remake is lookin good

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

How does the KSA usually respond to fuckups this big? How secure is MBS's position? I would have thought that having so many royals made them somewhat expendable, but maybe they'll just rally around him and pretend it didn't happen like he's a film director who was caught loving kids.

make up excuses, lie, find a scapegoat.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

https://twitter.com/IranLionness/status/1172965994572083200?s=20

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

So are these drones the Houthis are using just like little quad copters with bombs tired to them or something?

if i had to guess (and this is pure conjecture given i've yet to read much about the attack itself save the aftermath): relatively small fixed wing drones capable of long distance flight and control with explosives strapped to them. iran has these sorts of drone its possible it provided them to the houthis for this very purpose. i dont believe it was iran that carried out the attacks, though. the houthis have been launched these sorts of attacks before along with surface to surface rocket attacks into saudi arabia.

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Sep 14, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine my shock to discover the military so inept they managed to lose Abrams tanks to small arms fire by parking them on top of hills has managed to get its rear end kicked yet again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1172983526771372032?s=19

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Addamere posted:

Imagine my shock to discover the military so inept they managed to lose Abrams tanks to small arms fire by parking them on top of hills has managed to get its rear end kicked yet again.

Wait what? Explain this

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saalkin posted:

Wait what? Explain this

Houthis are winning military victories against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, despite the former being a peasant militia and the latter being supplied with 373 Abrams battle tanks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they parked the abrams' on a promontory and let them just sit there idle taking pot shots whereas actual tank doctrine is to only send them into scouted areas on a mission en force and part of a platoon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

heres a quora thread where some retired tank commander dude goes big effort on tank strategy and how saudis hosed it up
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Saudi...duce-the-losses

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
this is honestly so loving dope

Houthis finally got the Drone Swarm™ killstreak and used it right

5% of worlds oil production hahahah

do they have a venmo?

Ross DaouThot has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Sep 14, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

they parked the abrams' on a promontory and let them just sit there idle taking pot shots whereas actual tank doctrine is to only send them into scouted areas on a mission en force and part of a platoon.

Real hurthling! posted:

heres a quora thread where some retired tank commander dude goes big effort on tank strategy and how saudis hosed it up
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Saudi...duce-the-losses

From that quora post:

quote:

It is not exactly clear why the tank was immobilized but this is probably the point of impact:

i.e. nothing happened to that tank. This tank is very much capable of fighting, especially if the crew is injured but still capable of just getting out and running away. If they can do that, then they are very much still capable of fighting.

So at this point, in my opinion, the issue is clear. There is no M1 Abrams problem. The M1 Abrams is a fantastic tank.

There is a lack of training problem.

The M1A2 model we gave to Saudia Arabia features composite armor layers of ceramics, empty spaces, metal plates, and 2nd-generation depleted uranium reactive armor plates. The mostly thinly-armored area of these nigh-invulnerable rolling monsters can withstand multiple direct strikes from purpose-built high explosive anti-tank (HEAT) weapons. The impact shown in that image is from such a weapon, onto one of the most thickly-armored areas of the Abrams. This one tank could have survived dozens if not hundreds of more strikes like the one shown and kept on fighting. But it never should have been hit like that in the first place, as that article explains. And even though the tank was still perfectly serviceable, the Saudi military abandoned it for no drat reason. The hardware is good, and in capable hands even the one pictured tank would have been in no danger at all — much less the 4–8 tanks that should be deployed together as a unit to protect each other.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

then the houthis just burned it and tank dude is like smh no you guys, use it as an asset of misdirection in your insurgent war heres what i would do...!!!!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

then the houthis just burned it and tank dude is like smh no you guys, use it as an asset of misdirection in your insurgent war heres what i would do...!!!!

It's difficult to overstate just how devastating an asset even one M1A2 battle tank is. I did not read the dude's rebel fanfiction, but Abrams tanks are ridiculously durable monsters, such that they can withstand being pounded on by several other Abrams tanks or equivalent weapons platforms for quite some time. Had the Houthis bothered to capture the tank and use it to do pretty much anything, its limiting factors would have been ammunition and fuel. Until those ran out, they would have been able to absolutely slaughter buildings, personnel, and lighter vehicles with it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyway the point here isn't to jack off to how great American military hardware is, but to laugh at how despite being equipped with it the Saudis are so spectacularly inept that they are losing a war to a peasant militia.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Houthis invaded Najran province by carrying heavy weapons on foot over the mountains. I don't think they have the kind of logistical chain that would let them drive tanks around.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

lol 45 dead emiratis in a single attack

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
most rebels groups don’t have much use for a single heavy weapon.

a tank can destroy a lot of poo poo but unless you are suicide bombing with tanks it’s not useful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Houthis invaded Najran province by carrying heavy weapons on foot over the mountains. I don't think they have the kind of logistical chain that would let them drive tanks around.

tank guy says the controls are piss easy and theres no security and even if they couldnt use it to fight they could have done x y z

meanwhile houthi dude is like lets just wreck it quick and get home for dinner alive instead of being an airstrike target while trying to figure it out

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

tank guy says the controls are piss easy and theres no security and even if they couldnt use it to fight they could have done x y z

meanwhile houthi dude is like lets just wreck it quick and get home for dinner alive instead of being an airstrike target while trying to figure it out

How many Hellfire missiles do you think are needed to render an Abrams tank inoperable? :q:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

The gulf state coalition kept getting owned because they couldn't be bothered to walk any further than a parking lot's distance from their fighting vehicles. Meanwhile the Houthis go everywhere on foot and ambush them from places the Saudis could never reach. Like a rocky crevice, or a flight of stairs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The gulf state coalition kept getting owned because they couldn't be bothered to walk any further than a parking lot's distance from their fighting vehicles. Meanwhile the Houthis go everywhere on foot and ambush them from places the Saudis could never reach. Like a rocky crevice, or a flight of stairs.

Look man I may not be some kind of tactical genius but I've played enough video games to know that knee-high walls are impassable terrain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
saudis getting jumped in the parking lot of the last remaining K mart

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yea. I think an Abrams would probably have more value to them stripped down for parts.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
:eng101: the multifuel turbine engine on the abrams can run on basically any combustible liquid you can put in it and retain more or less the same engine output, but with greatly reduced mileage, and its a huge gas guzzler even if you're putting in proper fuel

the real problem for a looted abrams would be spare parts, because the second you throw a track pin from, say, turning too hard at speed, it will magically transform into the world's least fuel efficient pillbox

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

There's also three machine guns, a 120mm gun, smoke grenade launchers, and all sorts of fancy optics/rangefinders and radios.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Addamere posted:

How many Hellfire missiles do you think are needed to render an Abrams tank inoperable? :q:

idk i assume the ksa airforce has something that could put one down or get america to give them one

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lmao brown loving moses is currently trying to suppress a peer reviewed paper set to be published in an academic journal out of princeton university because it disagrees with the circles he draws with ms paint. Hes already started with a smear campaign and threats despite not having even seen the final paper, trying to create the most unwelcoming atmosphere possible for any dissent of the regime change narrative and close off any room for academic debate

https://twitter.com/sgsjournal/status/1172974238334107648?s=21
https://twitter.com/eliothiggins/status/1172936251009392641?s=21

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

most rebels groups don’t have much use for a single heavy weapon.

a tank can destroy a lot of poo poo but unless you are suicide bombing with tanks it’s not useful

they're also gas guzzlers, hard to transport, and just generally a pain in the rear end maintain.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Malleum posted:

:eng101: the multifuel turbine engine on the abrams can run on basically any combustible liquid you can put in it and retain more or less the same engine output, but with greatly reduced mileage, and its a huge gas guzzler even if you're putting in proper fuel

the real problem for a looted abrams would be spare parts, because the second you throw a track pin from, say, turning too hard at speed, it will magically transform into the world's least fuel efficient pillbox

the optics on an abrams are quite something and would be very useful for reconnaissance and rangefinding.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Me, a peasant who has just captured a ten million dollar piece of equipment from an army that is largely incompetent but can drop bombs on me with zero warning: wow imagine all the big brained poo poo I could do with this thing!

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

Me, a peasant who has just captured a ten million dollar piece of equipment from an army that is largely incompetent but can drop bombs on me with zero warning: wow imagine all the big brained poo poo I could do with this thing!

they only cost 6.9 million (nice)

actually 8 million

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

we already got the money

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's weird Pompeo is pushing this considering Bolton just quit because Trump is trying to ratchet down tensions with Iran. It's a brilliant move from Iran tbh, it forces Trump's hand because of his need to deal with the upcoming election / keeping oil prices down

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man imagine if we were allied with Iran, a country that is competent, and not Saudi Arabia, a country that is stocked to the brim with failsons

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
gonna be real funny when this ends with the Saigon embassy scene bht palette swapped with sand and the Huey is now a Blackhawk

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

Man imagine if we were allied with Iran, a country that is competent, and not Saudi Arabia, a country that is stocked to the brim with failsons

we were allied with iran when they were run by a failson