Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I like yours a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Rap Three Times posted:

It's your agenda that's the problem. If only your agenda was better. Everything that went wrong is due to your agenda! :colbert:

Oh no you guys I just checked the agenda and the entry for September 17, 2013 isn’t “destroy SC”, it’s “brunch with the Feldsteins”.

This is embarrassing.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

We have a discord? Neat!

This is a completely joke free chunk of gameplay here please don't watch it, it will boil your brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60JDwpVgvw

This kind of thing is what made me realize that trying to argue with the SC fans is pointless (unless it's funny)...

If you can sit through nearly 20 minutes of nothing and still say "Hmm, yes, this is compelling and engaging gameplay- this is fun" then there is no hope for getting through to that person.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Or about 4 out of 5 refunds

Which is what i did cause gently caress off and innovate you perverted fuckstain. The only reason anyone cares that you own duke nukem is because other people could make a better duke nukem forever with their eyes closed

I heard they fired the guy who wrote BL2 and made it funny. Is the new one funny?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Vomiting is a sign of fidelity.

To be fair just watching video of Star Citizen gameplay on YouTube makes me want to vomit.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Even by star citizen standards, that's some batshit insane word salad. SQ42 will definitely be "massive" - a massive disappointment (at best).

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Whelp I’m finally caught up with the new thread so it’s now officially started. Everyone stop making low effort practice posts and get to the good stuff you’ve been saving up.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Stay citizens is good

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Raskolnikov posted:

Stay citizens is good

Counterpoint: no it's not

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/8ZUS2C3.gifv

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

Counterpoint: no it's not

Sounds like fud to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Citizen is a game I wish would turn out good but I know it won't be.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Raskolnikov posted:

Sounds like fud to me

Derek Smart paid me ten bux to say it

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently working as a research programmer at a university. Basically this means that when researchers need some software made for their projects, I help them make it, or just outright make it myself.

Recently I've been working on VR stuff as part of a project that studies player experiences in VR, and the various factors that negatively or positively affect it (basically what will come out of this will be a set of guidelines for what to do and what not to do if you want to make a fun, playable VR experience).

One of the very central "underline this poo poo three times so you don't forget" concepts is that you should be VERY careful about taking vision control away from the player. Don't do canned animations where the player's field of view is manipulated by the game and ignoring the player's actual head position, because that's a Autobahn speed shortcut to vomit city.

I bring this up in the Star Citizen thread because cultists insist that VR support is coming and it will just be a case of ... I dunno, refactoring the graphics pipeline full stack backend occlusion containers to V2.1, or whatever the gently caress, and then CIG can put "vr-support = 1" into the config files and away we go.

It's hilarious to think how miserable playing Star Citizen in VR would be. You need fast, steady framerates (90+ minimum, for two independent displays basically), you need to consider FoV and design your entire UI around VR. Even if CIG somehow did that, crobbert's genius "drunken sailor headbob, first person motion captured cinematic loving looks around my plane's cockpit before I take off" is just fundamentally incompatible with how VR games work.

All this is not a problem, but rather is an opportunity to sell RSI-branded airsickness bags and/or Dramamine. Answer the call 2025.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

1stGear posted:

have citizens ever played a video game

Erm, is the s1r trying to tell me that Mass Effect was one of the first 'open world' games? Their favorite comparisons of Elder Scrolls and GTA were doing that a long time ago.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

A perfect visual representation of CIG's progress over the last 7 years...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently working as a research programmer at a university. Basically this means that when researchers need some software made for their projects, I help them make it, or just outright make it myself.

Recently I've been working on VR stuff as part of a project that studies player experiences in VR, and the various factors that negatively or positively affect it (basically what will come out of this will be a set of guidelines for what to do and what not to do if you want to make a fun, playable VR experience).

One of the very central "underline this poo poo three times so you don't forget" concepts is that you should be VERY careful about taking vision control away from the player. Don't do canned animations where the player's field of view is manipulated by the game and ignoring the player's actual head position, because that's a Autobahn speed shortcut to vomit city.

I bring this up in the Star Citizen thread because cultists insist that VR support is coming and it will just be a case of ... I dunno, refactoring the graphics pipeline full stack backend occlusion containers to V2.1, or whatever the gently caress, and then CIG can put "vr-support = 1" into the config files and away we go.

It's hilarious to think how miserable playing Star Citizen in VR would be. You need fast, steady framerates (90+ minimum, for two independent displays basically), you need to consider FoV and design your entire UI around VR. Even if CIG somehow did that, crobbert's genius "drunken sailor headbob, first person motion captured cinematic loving looks around my plane's cockpit before I take off" is just fundamentally incompatible with how VR games work.

It really is nuts just how much work you have to put in to make a game work in VR. Like check out Fallout 4 versus Fallout 4 VR for an example. And they didn't even do all the work, there; I spent probably 40 hours installing, tweaking, and writing mods before I got everything working nicely. You absolutely do not just "#define VR_SUPPORT 1" and call it a day

Cockpit games, like flight sims/racing sims/space sims are a bit easier, because the player isn't running around in the world, they're glued to a seat. But hey, guess what Star Citizen hosed up here. You just had to have space legs, didn't ya

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

You are wrong fucker. No Man´s Sky just proved it can be done. Sean Murray lies poo poo bag extraordinaire just pushed the VR button and voila.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a completely joke free chunk of gameplay here please don't watch it, it will boil your brain

This looks less fun than a random Unity engine demo cooked up for an indie game festival.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beet Wagon posted:

Two things strike me about this (other than the obvious, insanely long travel time)

One: Is the planet texture mapped wrong? There's like a "seam" where you can see the texture doubling, it feels like they UV'd the planet wrong :lol:

Two: Is the scale wrong or something? Feels like you go from space to city level way way way too fast. Is this a tiny planet?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I mean he must realize that all of these can be true, if he just focuses to the "I've ever played" part.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Zaphod42 posted:

Two things strike me about this (other than the obvious, insanely long travel time)

One: Is the planet texture mapped wrong? There's like a "seam" where you can see the texture doubling, it feels like they UV'd the planet wrong :lol:

Two: Is the scale wrong or something? Feels like you go from space to city level way way way too fast. Is this a tiny planet?

Yes

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I can only presume they have never played... another game.

Considering the account name, and the post, i think its easy to suspect its someone a little teensy weensy bit too much invested.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Hello my fellow fart shitizens, are they still making squadron 42 or did they give up on that?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Anyone want to help me develop a new game called Scam Crowdfunder Tycoon (also know as SC Tycoon).

It will be a business sim where the main challenge will be to keep maintaining crowdfunding revenue for an indefinite period.

Something like "Mad Games Tycoon" or "Game Dev Tycoon" but instead of real games you make fake demos, 3D assets and some other BS. There will also be a "send money to Swiss Bank" game mechanic like in the original Tropico.

Prawned posted:

Hello my fellow fart shitizens, are they still making squadron 42 or did they give up on that?

They are "making" it.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Foo Diddley posted:

It really is nuts just how much work you have to put in to make a game work in VR. Like check out Fallout 4 versus Fallout 4 VR for an example. And they didn't even do all the work, there; I spent probably 40 hours installing, tweaking, and writing mods before I got everything working nicely. You absolutely do not just "#define VR_SUPPORT 1" and call it a day

Cockpit games, like flight sims/racing sims/space sims are a bit easier, because the player isn't running around in the world, they're glued to a seat. But hey, guess what Star Citizen hosed up here. You just had to have space legs, didn't ya

Haha.
If VorpX can do it, then so can Crobbler.
And then pretend it's VR.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

skeletors_condom posted:

Anyone want to help me develop a new game called Scam Crowdfunder Tycoon (also know as SC Tycoon).

It will be a business sim where the main challenge will be to keep maintaining crowdfunding revenue for an indefinite period.

Something like "Mad Games Tycoon" or "Game Dev Tycoon" but instead of real games you make fake demos, 3D assets and some other BS. There will also be a "send money to Swiss Bank" game mechanic like in the original Tropico.

They are "making" it.

Do you have a website yet?
Instead of selling jpegs, have you thought about gifs?
What about the best marketer since she was a little girl?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

MedicineHut posted:

You are wrong fucker. No Man´s Sky just proved it can be done. Sean Murray lies poo poo bag extraordinaire just pushed the VR button and voila.

Yeah I never thought I'd say this about NMS after what a poo poo launch and first year or two it had but they're a very small studio and the VR implementation on both PC and Playstation is fantastic, it's basically now the poster child for good VR porting.

Of course Star Citizen will never do anything like this realistically.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There actually is a gigantic seam. The planets are mirrored halves, all of them are like this for whatever reason and the giant seam actually exists at ground level. It looks like a gigantic cliff with no texture on it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Spatial posted:

There actually is a gigantic seam. The planets are mirrored halves, all of them are like this for whatever reason and the giant seam actually exists at ground level. It looks like a gigantic cliff with no texture on it.

Fidelity!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Prawned posted:

CIG says that they are making it, but they say that about a lot of things.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I thought Robert's brother was making the single player and he was a semi competent game developer

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If the only useful thing to come out of star Citizen is that some goon in this thread points me to some nice tequila to try, so be it.

I've just currently started drink tequila about a month ago instead of beer and am ready to sample recommendations.

p.s. tanequila

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Also Caves.

Minecraft is the best selling game of all time.

It has caves.

Star Citizen is the best selling non-game of alpha time.

It will have caves. (Caves are where bears hibernate; as we all know, Star Citizen is well connected to sexy bears)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kosumo posted:

If the only useful thing to come out of star Citizen is that some goon in this thread points me to some nice tequila to try, so be it.

I've just currently started drink tequila about a month ago instead of beer and am ready to sample recommendations.

p.s. tanequila

When you say "drink" do you mean straight up or in drinks like a margarita?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Shots

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I heard they fired the guy who wrote BL2 and made it funny. Is the new one funny?

From what I played, no, maybe because a lot is rehashed old jokes.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Kosumo posted:

p.s. tanequila

Tequila that comes in skulls is objectively best.

(Drinking from the skulls of your enemies counts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Dogeh posted:

Schrodinger's Vidya Game

Star citizen : not a game, and also not a game.