Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Is there not a grilling thread?

Is this the grilling thread?

What's happening?

Where am I?

This is also kinda the grilling thread. We mainly talk about smoking meats but there's the occasional sidebar about grilling too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That's what I thought I remembered but I wasn't sure, since there's so little of it relatively.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I replaced my relatively low end 13 year old gas grill with a new relatively high end gas grill and was mostly excited about trying out the sear burner.

This is a ~2" thick bone in ribeye that had been in the oven at 275, taken out at 110 internal and rested (peaked at 121 or 122 IIRC).

The grate on the sear burner has an upper and lower position and supposedly the upper (further from the heat) is for steaks and the lower is just for pots and pans that you put on there, so I did it in the "wrong" position. I'll try the other position next time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That looks bad rear end, nice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hello smokethread, i recently built a table for my XL big green egg

big thanks to all the goons in DIY woodworking who answered my dumb questions

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That looks great, good job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was it as fun to put the egg in there as I imagine?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Subjunctive posted:

Heh, that was my question. "Hey Bob, you uhhhh, wanna come over for a cookout tonight? Yeah? Cool. Oh BTW, just need you to help lift up something."

Nice work though. You should be proud.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That looks fantastic. Well done

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BraveUlysses posted:

This looks great. Do you have any plans for it? I need something like this for mine and I have a lot of free time in the winter.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That looks fantastic. Well done

Seriously, it looks real good.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I want to do something like that for my weber kettle. The only problem is keeping the kettle away from the wood. I've seen people use concrete rings, and one person on Reddit used metal angle brackets. My only concern with the brackets is sometimes you really want to put some oomph into cleaning the grills and I'd be worried that they wouldn't hold.

I'm considering an all stainless steel service table. Knock a hole in the top and away you go. Easier to clean/sanitize as well.

https://ifoodequipment.ca/collectio...ksplash-30-deep

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 12, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m pretty sure you can buy brackets that are strong enough to withstand even very vigorous grill scrubbing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thought I'd share with the thread:

Western brand smoking wood chips are on sale on Amazon for $3/bag

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Canuckistan posted:

I want to do something like that for my weber kettle. The only problem is keeping the kettle away from the wood. I've seen people use concrete rings, and one person on Reddit used metal angle brackets. My only concern with the brackets is sometimes you really want to put some oomph into cleaning the grills and I'd be worried that they wouldn't hold.

I'm considering an all stainless steel service table. Knock a hole in the top and away you go. Easier to clean/sanitize as well.

Concrete rings sound like a real pain in the rear end, but a mix of perlite with portland cement (perlcrete) would be light and actually insulate it. Vermiculite also works although it insulates a little bit less.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Awesome find, not on sale, but has any one used peach wood? How's it rank on the subtlety scale.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thanks for all the compliments! i put a lot of time and too much money into it but i've wanted a proper table since i got my first BGE in may 2009

Subjunctive posted:

hahahaha, i had a friend come over and help me move the completed table from the garage to the backyard and forgot to ask him help me lift the egg into the table before he left

so i had to disassemble it all and go beast mode solo and get it in there

Canuckistan posted:

you might look into something like this setup:

https://imgur.com/gallery/H8NiZlW

as for cutting up the stainless table...not a bad idea but you'll find that cutting stainless steel accurately and cleanly is a loving nightmare.

before i chose to use cedar, i was quoted over 1k for a professionally made and finished stainless top surface with an opening for the egg and 1" turned down along the edges.

wandler20 posted:

This looks great. Do you have any plans for it? I need something like this for mine and I have a lot of free time in the winter.

I used the Official plans from the BGE company as a baseline for dimensions but most of it was influenced by this imgur gallery that i found when i was looking for ideas. i used knotty red cedar from lowes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/v9Sfk

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

That looks great. I would do this if I weren't so lazy.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got a whole turkey to smoke today.
I've got conflicting information on time/temp and would need to start cooking soon depending on the actual cook time.

14# bird, not spatchcocked @ 275-325.

I've gotten answers varying from 2 hours to 5.

Especially since we need closer to three hundred for crisp skin (I can do a boiling oil pour over just before service)

Edit: so what have your birds been like time wise?
Any suggestions, is really not prefer to start now and then have to hold the bird for hours.

Service time is around seven tonight, so it's a debate if starting the smoker now or like 1ish?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 14, 2019

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Is it brined? I find brined birds cook faster for some reason.

If it were me, I would guess around 3 hours if you keep it at 325.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 14, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dry brine/rub + baking soda for crispy skin for 36h.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I did a similar sized turkey around 300 that took around 3.5 hours.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

toplitzin posted:

Dry brine/rub + baking soda for crispy skin for 36h.

Please post the results

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This loving smoker won't hold 325 for the life of me. I'm going to jump it over to the oven in fifteen minutes to finish for another hour.

Im in a bit of a bind using a new/untested probe thermometer. It's holding at about a hundred now, but I know my placement is off and inn not looking how this grill is holding temp.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
no shame in moving it over to the oven to finish. She's got as much smoke as she's going to take so for the rest just do what's easiest.

What kind of smoker are you using? If I'm going for 300+ in my WSM I won't use water in my pan, otherwise she can be hard to dial in at the higher temps.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

There's nothing wrong with letting a pork butt just hang out in the stall, correct? Wondering if it might dry out too much. But I'm not going to eat for another 3 1/2 hours and if I wrap it now it'll be done too soon.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Problem is stall times are so random. Murpheys law....

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Problem is stall times are so random. Murpheys law....

I'm still going to wrap it, just not now because it will finish too soon once I do.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

no shame in moving it over to the oven to finish. She's got as much smoke as she's going to take so for the rest just do what's easiest.

What kind of smoker are you using? If I'm going for 300+ in my WSM I won't use water in my pan, otherwise she can be hard to dial in at the higher temps.

It's a chargrill.
More a grill than a bespoke smoker.

I've moved the turkey once soon as the grill dropped below 300.

We're at about 132 now and chilling in the oven.

Skin looks good, I'm still debating an oil pour just before service for super duper crisp skin.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double post:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

toplitzin posted:

Double post:

that skin!

:vince:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Today's pork butt results:

It was loving amazing.

That turkey looks unbelievable too :swoon:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

It's a chargrill.
More a grill than a bespoke smoker.

I've moved the turkey once soon as the grill dropped below 300.

We're at about 132 now and chilling in the oven.

Skin looks good, I'm still debating an oil pour just before service for super duper crisp skin.

I have an offset smoker made by char-griller and it’s complete dogshit at holding temperature. For a long cook, I might use 10 lbs of charcoal to stay between 250 and 300. Just eats fuel like there’s no tomorrow.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I left my BBQ guru temp probe outside by mistake and now it's gone. :( Either the kids took it and forgot that they took it or a raccoon took off with it. Those probes are stupid expensive directly from BBQ guru, like 50+ USD including shipping to Canada.

I've found a small company in the States that makes and sells custom probes. Hopefully they ship to Canada as their prices are much more reasonable.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I have an offset smoker made by char-griller and it’s complete dogshit at holding temperature. For a long cook, I might use 10 lbs of charcoal to stay between 250 and 300. Just eats fuel like there’s no tomorrow.

This thing is reasonably easy to hold two fifty, but any higher is an exercise in frustration

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lawnie posted:

Was my first smoker. Glad I stuck with the hobby after that thing.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Was my first smoker. Glad I stuck with the hobby after that thing.

I’m hoping to get a PBC soon-ish although I might as well just wait until next season at this point in the year, probably.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thinking of smoking some salmon. Anyone have a go to method/recipe they use?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thinking of smoking some salmon. Anyone have a go to method/recipe they use?

The Alton Brown version is stupid simple and comes out really good.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe-1938429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I threw a salmon filet in my first smoker on a whim when I was test-firing it, and it came out awesome with just salt and pepper. Don’t overthink it.