Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless the L-series distributor is way different than I'm thinking of, you can easily put it in a tooth off, not just 180 out.

Edit - yeah it's pretty similar to a SBC distributor. The bottom drive for the oil pump can only go one of two ways, but the oil pump can be rotated relative to the distributor drive gear. So you're at least a tooth off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless the L-series distributor is way different than I'm thinking of, you can easily put it in a tooth off, not just 180 out.

Edit - yeah it's pretty similar to a SBC distributor. The bottom drive for the oil pump can only go one of two ways, but the oil pump can be rotated relative to the distributor drive gear. So you're at least a tooth off.

Sorry, I don't follow. The distributor drive sits in what looks like a flathead screw from the oil pump. I never pulled the shaft from the oil pump, so I don't see how that could have moved.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh gently caress you're right, apparently the L-series is special in that the gear and drive are fixed relative to each other. On a SBC you could just use a screwdriver to tweak the oil pump drive to wherever it needs to be. It's apparently possible to put the pump itself in a tooth off.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
2007 Corvette C6, manual transmission.

The tip of the input shaft is worn from a seized pilot bearing (common on the C6), I was dumb and thought "it will be fine", and didn't get it sorted while the torque tube was out of the car. I did change the pilot bearing, though.

Car also has a twin disc clutch from the ZR1.

I'm getting a "shudder" through the shifter whenever I release the clutch pedal after shifting gear (while driving). Are the two related? Is this a "feature" of the twin disc clutch, or am I eating my powertrain alive by not sorting the wear on the input shaft?

If I do need to get the input shaft repaired, what is the best option? Weld it up and turn it back to size on a lathe, or turn it on a lathe and sleeve it? This part is discontinued from GM, and $500 for a used one (plus another $300 or so to get it to me!) doesn't appeal.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I think my 2001 Grand Marquis has an electrical problem. Or it's haunted. Or both.

Roughly two months ago, I was driving it home on the highway. It started having a variety of weird problems with the instruments, clock and radio. Specifically, the gauges were fluttering on an off and various displays like the clock and radio were dimmed to the point of not being legible. I also was unable to roll the windows up or down. This got worse when at low speed or stopped and better on acceleration.

It finally stalled when I had to be in slow traffic getting off the highway. I ended up coasting into a Pep Boys. They checked the alternator which checked good. They said the battery was bad so they replaced it. Car ran fine since.

Yesterday, my wife came home complaining that the driver's window wouldn't roll up. Went out and tried to start it, would not start but started when jumped off. After idling for a couple of minutes I drove it around the neighborhood. It started doing the same thing as it did two months ago and eventually died on the way back.

The only other things going on with the car are that the right side window won't roll down (I think I have a bad window regulator, I had to have the back left one replaced a while back) and no A/C (it's got a leak somewhere). The only other work on it has been replacing the spark plugs and some of the coil packs a few months back.

Any ideas? I'm going to break out a multimeter and test the battery and alternator this weekend.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Alternator is intermittently working, or the new battery really poo poo the bed so bad that it's a dead short to the alternator (this is super rare).

It's rare for a bad battery to drag the car down so bad that electrical stuff quits working; usually the car is just dead after you shut it off (or has no power within a few minutes). But I'd count on the alternator, and it wouldn't hurt to budget for a new battery just in case.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Tai-Pan posted:

Sorry, I don't follow. The distributor drive sits in what looks like a flathead screw from the oil pump. I never pulled the shaft from the oil pump, so I don't see how that could have moved.

Did you (or somebody previously) replace the oil pump? The distributor rotor rotation is not widely adjustable on this engine (beyond a few degrees for timing by moving the cup). It's set by proper alignment of the oil pump key when the oil pump is installed. If this alignment was not strictly observed, you may have to remove the oil pump & reinstall it with the key in the proper position relative to TDC*.

You can try the quick & dirty: Set the engine at TDC per the crank pulley marks; wherever the rotor lands, that'll be where the #1 plug wire goes. If you're off by one tooth or so, this may work. Just remember to mark your distributor cap (or dist. cup) for the future.

* (in most engines I've worked on, this pump key is a free-spinning base, there to fix the bottom end of the distributor shaft securely, while the distributor is driven by a drive gear closer to the cup. Thus it can be freely rotated to the correct position. On Mopar engines, the distributor shaft drives the oil pump; the bottom 1/3 or so of the shaft is hexagonal, so it can be rotated in its installation to generally match TDC)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 13, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

STR posted:

Alternator is intermittently working, or the new battery really poo poo the bed so bad that it's a dead short to the alternator (this is super rare).

It's rare for a bad battery to drag the car down so bad that electrical stuff quits working; usually the car is just dead after you shut it off (or has no power within a few minutes). But I'd count on the alternator, and it wouldn't hurt to budget for a new battery just in case.

Yeah, my bet as well. At least on mod motors it's an easy job. When I replaced mine I found a pair of pliers underneath that I dropped years ago. :v:

Was hoping to find thirty 10mm sockets, but not a single one was found.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tai-Pan posted:

It looks like there's a shaft that links the drive gear to the oil pump, that is separate from the distributor? Yeah if you never removed it things should be the same.

Did you go back and start over? Making sure you have the firing order right, the rotation right, and had it on TDC of the compression stroke?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

STR posted:

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I don't think it's the battery as the car's lights came on when the doors unlocked as I came out to check it. I'll get into it this weekend and report back. Rock Auto has a new ACDelco alternator for around $150.00 and I can get an Interstate Battery at Costco for $99.00.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Pershing posted:

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I don't think it's the battery as the car's lights came on when the doors unlocked as I came out to check it. I'll get into it this weekend and report back. Rock Auto has a new ACDelco alternator for around $150.00 and I can get an Interstate Battery at Costco for $99.00.

Here's a rock auto discount code 11686362991001728

Place it in the "How did you hear about us" box.

5% off.

Good for everyone BTW.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pershing posted:

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I don't think it's the battery as the car's lights came on when the doors unlocked as I came out to check it.

These tasks require orders of magnitude less out of your battery than starting the car, so it's not conclusive that the battery is any good because it will handle those loads.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

2007 Corvette C6, manual transmission.

The tip of the input shaft is worn from a seized pilot bearing (common on the C6), I was dumb and thought "it will be fine", and didn't get it sorted while the torque tube was out of the car. I did change the pilot bearing, though.

Car also has a twin disc clutch from the ZR1.

I'm getting a "shudder" through the shifter whenever I release the clutch pedal after shifting gear (while driving). Are the two related? Is this a "feature" of the twin disc clutch, or am I eating my powertrain alive by not sorting the wear on the input shaft?

If I do need to get the input shaft repaired, what is the best option? Weld it up and turn it back to size on a lathe, or turn it on a lathe and sleeve it? This part is discontinued from GM, and $500 for a used one (plus another $300 or so to get it to me!) doesn't appeal.

I cant answer the shudder part but I can offer advice about the bearing surface.

It really depends on how bad the damage is. Do you know the extent? On large, expensive industrial rollers and if its only a few thousandths undersize I would suggest building it up with chrome plate and grinding back to size. That may be a bit expensive but isnt as prone to failure as welding. Welding would be the second best option but I have seen that fail after extensive use.

I would avoid the sleeve because your effectively reducing the diameter of the shaft.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

StormDrain posted:

Did you go back and start over? Making sure you have the firing order right, the rotation right, and had it on TDC of the compression stroke?

StormDrain posted:

It looks like there's a shaft that links the drive gear to the oil pump, that is separate from the distributor? Yeah if you never removed it things should be the same.

PainterofCrap posted:

You can try the quick & dirty: Set the engine at TDC per the crank pulley marks; wherever the rotor lands, that'll be where the #1 plug wire goes. If you're off by one tooth or so, this may work. Just remember to mark your distributor cap (or dist. cup) for the future.

EDIT: UPDATE: CHANGE OF STATUS.
Stupid loving L24 starts (kinda) after 11 years.
It turns out that the issue WAS that the spark plugs were one place off. I guess the P/O must have done this at some point and in my attempts over the years to get it running I must have not noticed.

When I was switching the plug wires around, I knocked loose the + from the coil. After fixing that, is (kinda) starts up with starting fluid.

Current Problem: I have new carbs from Ztherapy, however, it only seems to be running when I use starting fluid.
Not sure what seems to be going on with that.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2019

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

IOwnCalculus posted:

These tasks require orders of magnitude less out of your battery than starting the car, so it's not conclusive that the battery is any good because it will handle those loads.

Yes, I was comparing it to the last time it died when nothing electrical worked at all.

Alternator tested bad, new one ordered, should be here Wednesday...thanks Colostomy Bag for the code!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't be surprised if the battery fails soon; count your lucky stars if it lasts more than a couple of weeks. Generally a failed alternator takes out the battery (and a bad battery can take out an alternator, but in my own experience, not as frequently), but yours is new enough that you may get lucky.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Will do, the plan is to drive to Costco once the alternator is in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The battery may survive just fine, TBH. I was just suggesting it as a (likely) possibility, not an absolute.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Fun Fact: Don't wear a metal watch while working on your car. I just arked across my coil with my watch strap WHILE SPRAYING STARTING FLUID.
I am lucky that poo poo didn't explode. I now have a chunk missing from my strap.

Car still wont start.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Tai-Pan posted:

Fun Fact: Don't wear a metal watch while working on your car. I just arked across my coil with my watch strap WHILE SPRAYING STARTING FLUID.
I am lucky that poo poo didn't explode. I now have a chunk missing from my strap.

Car still wont start.

:stare:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

rdb posted:

I cant answer the shudder part but I can offer advice about the bearing surface.

It really depends on how bad the damage is. Do you know the extent? On large, expensive industrial rollers and if its only a few thousandths undersize I would suggest building it up with chrome plate and grinding back to size. That may be a bit expensive but isnt as prone to failure as welding. Welding would be the second best option but I have seen that fail after extensive use.

I would avoid the sleeve because your effectively reducing the diameter of the shaft.

It's probably worn 1/16" or 1.5mm from the overall diameter. Which I guess is a lot!

The issue I see with welding is the material warping, although I guess only the tip would warp, and this would be corrected on the lathe.

Is the issue with the sleeve that the shaft would be weakened due to the removed material? Since this is for a pilot bearing, I can't imagine there is much force on it at all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tai-Pan posted:

Car still wont start.

Yeah, you might want to buy a lotto ticket.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Last weekend I was out for a sail and after running the outboard (a '74 6hp Johnson) a few minutes it started to run a little rough. At the time I chalked it up to getting towards the bottom of a 4 month old tank of ethanol containing premix, but when I got home I noticed it had leaked a fair amount of schmoo in the bed of the truck. Said goop looks like emulsified oil, and doesn't smell strongly of gas or moly so I know it's not lower unit oil.
I cleaned it up on its stand and it leaked about a silver dollars worth. Then today I moved it again and it leaked some more. This time I was able to see clearly that it is coming from the exhaust port.

It's never done this before. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tai-Pan posted:

Car still wont start.

Same goes for wedding rings. At least you know you have spark. Curious tho why were you trying to ether start your car with an open coil?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Pershing posted:

I think my 2001 Grand Marquis has an electrical problem. Or it's haunted. Or both.

Roughly two months ago, I was driving it home on the highway. It started having a variety of weird problems with the instruments, clock and radio. Specifically, the gauges were fluttering on an off and various displays like the clock and radio were dimmed to the point of not being legible. I also was unable to roll the windows up or down. This got worse when at low speed or stopped and better on acceleration.

It finally stalled when I had to be in slow traffic getting off the highway. I ended up coasting into a Pep Boys. They checked the alternator which checked good. They said the battery was bad so they replaced it. Car ran fine since.

Yesterday, my wife came home complaining that the driver's window wouldn't roll up. Went out and tried to start it, would not start but started when jumped off. After idling for a couple of minutes I drove it around the neighborhood. It started doing the same thing as it did two months ago and eventually died on the way back.

The only other things going on with the car are that the right side window won't roll down (I think I have a bad window regulator, I had to have the back left one replaced a while back) and no A/C (it's got a leak somewhere). The only other work on it has been replacing the spark plugs and some of the coil packs a few months back.

Any ideas? I'm going to break out a multimeter and test the battery and alternator this weekend.

Seams like you had a poo poo battery which made the alternator run at full tilt. (battery has two jobs, starting the engine and then acting as a capacitor) Running at full tilt likely damaged the voltage regulator and specifically fried the diods. So now youve got alternating current into your direct current system. This results in a lot of fun poltergeist poo poo to happen especially in clusters. Depending on what lovely charging system tester pep boys had, (likely very lovely) they might have not detected it and didnt think to put two and two together to go in with a multi meter and do litteraly a ten second test. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhf6IdBbE3Y

TL;DR
Needs an alternator

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 14, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tai-Pan posted:

Car still wont start.

Jesus. Never wear metal/metallized/metallic jewelry when you work on stuff. Theres too many ways to injure/maim/kill you in just about any kind of motor vehicle.

Gratz on keeping all your bits intact and not on fire.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

It's probably worn 1/16" or 1.5mm from the overall diameter. Which I guess is a lot!

The issue I see with welding is the material warping, although I guess only the tip would warp, and this would be corrected on the lathe.

Is the issue with the sleeve that the shaft would be weakened due to the removed material? Since this is for a pilot bearing, I can't imagine there is much force on it at all.

With welding, you may change the hardness of the steel in addition to the warp. Without knowing exactly what alloy the shaft is your going to be doing a bit of guessing.

It may seem like a little bit of material, but keep in mind whoever engineered it in the first place was trying to keep weight and cost down. It sucks to do a poo poo ton of work just to tear it apart again.

monsterzero posted:

Last weekend I was out for a sail and after running the outboard (a '74 6hp Johnson) a few minutes it started to run a little rough. At the time I chalked it up to getting towards the bottom of a 4 month old tank of ethanol containing premix, but when I got home I noticed it had leaked a fair amount of schmoo in the bed of the truck. Said goop looks like emulsified oil, and doesn't smell strongly of gas or moly so I know it's not lower unit oil.
I cleaned it up on its stand and it leaked about a silver dollars worth. Then today I moved it again and it leaked some more. This time I was able to see clearly that it is coming from the exhaust port.

It's never done this before. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about?

Yes, water is getting somewhere it shouldnt.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Balls. Glad I've been sailing dinghies this summer so I feel good about sailing on/off the dock.

I was hoping to get at least another season or two out of this thing. I pulled the plugs and stuck a scope in. Still looked nice and oily, no suspiciously clean pistons like I've seen in blown headgaskets on 4-strokes.

I doubt there is a easy fix, but anything worth checking before I B.O.A.T.?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

There's a hole on Honda Fits' front and rear bumper that's covered with a plastic piece. If you pull back the piece it's threaded (at least in the rear). What is this for?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tow hook. The hook is probably with your spare tire kit (lug wrench, jack handle, etc). It's meant to be used to pull your car onto a tow truck (or back onto the road if you've slid off) - it gives them a solid spot to attach to that won't bend anything important, and if you're off the road, it's a shitload easier for them to attach to that vs crawling around under the car.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

STR posted:

Tow hook. The hook is probably with your spare tire kit (lug wrench, jack handle, etc). It's meant to be used to pull your car onto a tow truck (or back onto the road if you've slid off) - it gives them a solid spot to attach to that won't bend anything important, and if you're off the road, it's a shitload easier for them to attach to that vs crawling around under the car.

The front one can double as a licence plate mount for that clean JDM look youve always wanted.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Preoptopus posted:

Same goes for wedding rings. At least you know you have spark. Curious tho why were you trying to ether start your car with an open coil?

I should have said resistor on the coil.

MrYenko posted:

Jesus. Never wear metal/metallized/metallic jewelry when you work on stuff. Theres too many ways to injure/maim/kill you in just about any kind of motor vehicle.

Gratz on keeping all your bits intact and not on fire.

Normally, I am pretty good about that. I was actually just between events and I just wanted to check something. I saw the broken wire, fixed it, and got excited to try starting it up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

STR posted:

Gotcha. My kit's all aftermarket, but I'll have to check that out. Might be able to score one off a junkyard if I call around I suppose.

EDIT: Looks like it's a no on having one of those in the kit. Would having one of these be putting too much faith in the aftermarket world? What about an actual bolt? Or do two truck drivers carry these themselves? I have gone in the ditch before, so there's a non-zero chance of using it as intended.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 15, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nitsuga posted:

Gotcha. My kit's all aftermarket, but I'll have to check that out. Might be able to score one off a junkyard if I call around I suppose.

EDIT: Looks like it's a no on having one of those in the kit. Would having one of these be putting too much faith in the aftermarket world? What about one of these or an actual bolts? Or do two truck drivers carry these themselves? I have gone in the ditch before, so there's a non-zero chance of using it as intended.

Try to find a junkyard one, or two.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

nitsuga posted:

I have gone in the ditch before, so there's a non-zero chance of using it as intended.

If you can suss out what the thread is, I might be your guy- I've plucked a few of these from junkyards over the years.

E: I'll be damned if I can remember what they're from...

glyph fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 16, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

glyph posted:

If you can suss out what the thread is, I might be your guy- I've plucked a few of these from junkyards over the years.

E: I'll be damned if I can remembr what tjeure from...

M18 x 2.5. Id be all over a freebie.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

nitsuga posted:

M18 x 2.5. Id be all over a freebie.

I'll take a look tonight. I'll put the metric thread comb on my desk to remind myself.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I wanted to post this here before I follow up with my mechanic.

Does a flywheel that needs replacing on a manual mean that the transmission as well needs replacing? I will be getting my clutch and flywheel replaced.

How do I diagnose a bad transmission? Is it easy for my mechanic to see if it needs replacing?

zaepg fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 16, 2019

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

zaepg posted:

I wanted to post this here before I follow up with my mechanic.

Does a flywheel that needs replacing on a manual mean that the transmission as well needs replacing? I will be getting my clutch and flywheel replaced.

How do I diagnose a bad transmission? Is it easy for my mechanic to see if it needs replacing?

Hell loving no - if your flywheel needs replacing you'll replace the flywheel. How does your transmission shift? Is it smooth? How's the fluid look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Thanks! I had a feeling it was my clutch. I was having trouble moving gears for the longest time. I was having trouble accelerating right before it locked up. Will get this figured out.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 16, 2019