Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Man, still processing the ending of Control. I still have no idea what’s going on, but man the office assistant segment was pretty nightmarish.

Like, I don’t want to look down on anyone who does that kind of work but it was pretty deflating after spending so much time in a multi-layer woman’s power fantasy. So a second I thought “oh no it was all a dream” and couldn’t decide what was worse between losing psychic powers or losing your status as a boss lady

I think exquisite tea pretty much nailed it with:

exquisite tea posted:

When you really think about it, Control is just an analogy for how millennial women overcome their impostor syndrome in traditionally male-dominated workplaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Quinton posted:

I think exquisite tea pretty much nailed it with:

Honestly, the giant wall of Director portraits - all male - makes me wonder if this was actually an intentional theme.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am a little sad to learn that Dynamite is a cover. I thought they commissioned a ridiculous pop song for the game. Here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQTvsM9_Vck

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And here I assumed that they got their PotF pals to make it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I reversed the audio of the recording "Mirror Debrief", where an Agent Hardy gets interviewed after spending time in the mirror and it's reversed, but it's not that interesting. I haven't done the mirror fight yet, I got distracted by the mold and the anchor, but I'll reverse that and maybe upload that as a video. Here's the two lines he has:

"What? I can't understand you, you need to listen, I saw something! There is something inside, you need to lock down the mirror!

"Why are you talking like that? what's wrong with you, all of you! There's something inside that loving mirror!"

edit: oh i just started the fight and you can hear the recording in reverse, and his dialogue unreversed.. I'll still make a video but I died with like one shot left prob, because of her rockets and then she dive bombed me which she hadn't done yet.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 15, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Finished the story last night, that was a really fun game. I still have a couple side quests left to finish up, including Tomassi 2, esseJ, and I just got to the mold boss

Also I did the luck puzzle which took me a bit because I misinterpreted the part about moving off the carpet - I thought I was supposed to stand on the opposite side of the table

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

guppy posted:

I am a little sad to learn that Dynamite is a cover. I thought they commissioned a ridiculous pop song for the game. Here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQTvsM9_Vck

I'd be impressed if that's actually Matthew Porretta's voice on the track because that song is pretty drat hard to sing and he nails it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I'd be impressed if that's actually Matthew Porretta's voice on the track because that song is pretty drat hard to sing and he nails it.

Judging by his credits and family history, it was probably him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

The ashtray was a breezy power fantasy but the last fight across the hellscape took me a dozen tries and got a little tedious with how many spawns there were

Every single death I had in there was due to messing up a jump and falling into the death zone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

guppy posted:

Its kind of funny then that they found a song where the lyrics do match up with the game's story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Its kind of funny then that they found a song where the lyrics do match up with the game's story.

Lake's been doing this since MP2 with Late Goodbye

i'd bet that he has songs like these in mind when he first starts plotting out his games

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Never even heard of this until yesterday and it looks like it's right up my alley, i'm hoping for some input on what platform to buy it on so i can stop waffling about it and maybe start playing.

I've got a ps4 pro and giant tv, and also a pc with (what used to be) a reasonably beefy graphics card. In general i like playing 3rd person action-y games with a controller on the console (Nier:A, DMC, BloodSouls etc) and FPSs and the like on the PC with keyboard and mouse. There's exceptions all over the place of course, and i do have an xbox controller for the pc, but like i said: in general that's the deal.

Here's what "can i run it?" said about my system, seems i'm starting to lag on processor speed and RAM

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

Lake's been doing this since MP2 with Late Goodbye

i'd bet that he has songs like these in mind when he first starts plotting out his games

Lake wrote the lyrics to Late Goodbye, Poets of the Fall actually formed to put them to music.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Well this is a first for me:

Found it while just kinda wandering around and stumbling onto little rooms I missed earlier, even in places like executive affairs and outside the director's office, this game is pretty dense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Lake wrote the lyrics to Late Goodbye, Poets of the Fall actually formed to put them to music.

oh neat, the more you know

i figured alan wake's music was custom-made for the game as well, those songs are way too apropos to be anything else

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

a kitten posted:

Never even heard of this until yesterday and it looks like it's right up my alley, i'm hoping for some input on what platform to buy it on so i can stop waffling about it and maybe start playing.

I've got a ps4 pro and giant tv, and also a pc with (what used to be) a reasonably beefy graphics card. In general i like playing 3rd person action-y games with a controller on the console (Nier:A, DMC, BloodSouls etc) and FPSs and the like on the PC with keyboard and mouse. There's exceptions all over the place of course, and i do have an xbox controller for the pc, but like i said: in general that's the deal.

Here's what "can i run it?" said about my system, seems i'm starting to lag on processor speed and RAM

My Win7 gaming box is an i7-4790 (similar specs, one generation newer than your CPU) with 16GB ram and an 8GB GTX1070 and with the graphics settings dialed back just a bit from the highest (turned off screen space reflections, film grain, and I think turned down shadow quality a bit) it does ~70fps at 1080p. I suspect the processor is not going to be a worry, not sure if the 8GB system memory will an issue.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ATP_Power posted:

Well this is a first for me:

Found it while just kinda wandering around and stumbling onto little rooms I missed earlier, even in places like executive affairs and outside the director's office, this game is pretty dense.

I found one of these too, not sure if it's a glitch and it means 100% or just tanks your shield. I think I broke it down because I had one at 98% anyway.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can I play this on a GTX 970 at any decent framerate?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

With everything on medium or lower, ya probably, probably even at 1080 with medium and low settings. Decent might mean 40-50 though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

FunkyFjord posted:

With everything on medium or lower, ya probably, probably even at 1080 with medium and low settings. Decent might mean 40-50 though.

What about my ancient, glorious i5-2500K cpu? That a problem?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not sure what the lower limit of viable CPUs would be but from my own observations Control is super lopsidedly GPU-bound, while my Ryzen 2700x never goes too far above 50% even on load.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

This game is such a blast. I especially love the story. It reminds me of things like Twin Peaks, Beyond The Black Rainbow, a-much-weirder X-Files, and a-much-less-corny Fringe. Also SCP or whatever.

Are there any TV shows or movies that can scratch this particular genre itch?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I got an i5-7600k, a 1070 and 16gb of ram and the game runs fine at default settings (medium). you get some texture pop-in when you first load a control point, but the game still looks good and I haven't had any frame rate issues in fights.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

i figured alan wake's music was custom-made for the game as well, those songs are way too apropos to be anything else

there's a half century plus of novelty songs that get no interest for their initial release but may make perfect sense much later on

like someone really made a song called Crawl Out Through The Fallout

though Dyna-Mite is actually really super generic but it works well in this game

muscles like this! posted:

it looks like a decent UK pop hit, same people who wrote it did the Ballroom Blitz and of all things, Mickey.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 15, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Any song PotF record as Old Gods Of Asgard are 100% written for the games. The handful that are in the games under their real name are just actual album tracks, I believe. (I still think War is a better set-piece song in Alan Wake than Children of the Elder Gods.)

One nice touch linking Control and Alan Wake (I really think these two make the most sense to link, as Quantum Break was leaning more into the sci-fi and less the horror/fantasy elements, and Max Payne, IP issues aside, is much more of a John Wick style hyper-real action movie universe than truly supernatural) is Jesse's repeated inner monologue statements that she may never understand the answers she finds. It ties in neatly to the Stephen King quote Lake opened the earlier game with.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 15, 2019

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So one story thing I thought about once I finished the game. How did all the people who work for the Bureau know that you were coming to be the new director? I don't remember that being explained.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ethiser posted:

So one story thing I thought about once I finished the game. How did all the people who work for the Bureau know that you were coming to be the new director? I don't remember that being explained.

I don't think they knew beforehand, but all the portraits mysteriously changing to be of you may have tipped them off that the switch happened.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ethiser posted:

You're carrying the Service Weapon, the only sci-fi gun the agency uses

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that's gonna be interesting is if they actually have Alan show up beyond the one easter egg in the DLC (which seems likely). Unlike say, Jesse who's modelled to look like Courtney Hope, or Darling who just IS Matt Poretta, Alan Wake was a Finnish actor for the look and the FMV footage but Poretta's voice in English dubbed over. It feels like it's gonna be jarring if they do that using FMV again because it'll jar.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If we go to the black rock quarry city in the Foundation DLC I hope it's loving WEIRD and creepy and I hope there's a billion new documents to read cause that was my favorite part

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

If there's anyone wanting to track down the last few things you missed, I stumbled on this guide and it's the best source I've found: https://www.camzillasmom.com/control-2019

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

If we go to the black rock quarry city in the Foundation DLC I hope it's loving WEIRD and creepy and I hope there's a billion new documents to read cause that was my favorite part

Didn't one of the documents in the quarry mention some kind of city out there?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

In the Quarry yes, not in the Foundation though, that's where the Board has their door into the House, it's the tree design by the control point down there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Foundation is the roots of Yggdrassil.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ATP_Power posted:

In the Quarry yes, not in the Foundation though, that's where the Board has their door into the House, it's the tree design by the control point down there.

Yeah but you have to go through the quarry to get there

Slanderer posted:

Didn't one of the documents in the quarry mention some kind of city out there?

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. All the people there at one point entered a trance like state and all stared in the direction of the city

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Foundation is the roots of Yggdrassil.

Shouldn't there be a dragon down there then?

I figure the Hiss is the squirrel, carrying a message that turns people into enemies as it travels from world to world.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yeah but you have to go through the quarry to get there

Yeah that's what I'm referring to. All the people there at one point entered a trance like state and all stared in the direction of the city

The document also said that they should plan another expedition to the city, so we might only get reports about the first expedition instead of going there ourselves depending on what Remedy wants to do.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Shouldn't there be a dragon down there then?

I figure the Hiss is the squirrel, carrying a message that turns people into enemies as it travels from world to world.

you are the wyrm who tunnels through time

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Quinton posted:

My Win7 gaming box is an i7-4790 (similar specs, one generation newer than your CPU) with 16GB ram and an 8GB GTX1070 and with the graphics settings dialed back just a bit from the highest (turned off screen space reflections, film grain, and I think turned down shadow quality a bit) it does ~70fps at 1080p. I suspect the processor is not going to be a worry, not sure if the 8GB system memory will an issue.

Well this prompted me to order some drat RAM finally, even if in the end i'm still mulling over what version of the game i want to buy. So, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No idea how far I am into this but wow this is good. I wish the map was a bit more useful in showing separate floors and showing locked doors or points of interest to maybe investigate later (or let you mark something yourself) but other than that its great. The occasional monologue from Director Max Payne or Professor Alan Wake is always such a weird but delightful interlude.