Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

angryrobots posted:

That's horrible. And how people get food poisoning.

Oh gently caress no, we trash anything that we find that's supposed to be refrigerated or frozen if there's the slightest chance it's been left out.

If we find something like, say, one brand of yogurt that's been dumped next to another brand of yogurt, the chances of it getting warm are minimal to none - someone probably saw another brand they liked, and dumped their original yogurt a minute or two after picking it up. But anything in butcher paper (like those crab legs), unless handed directly back to an employee of meat or seafood moments after leaving the counter, is trashed. It gets tossed into a back room freezer until we're done with whatever we're doing for the day, at which point we scan it to damage it out. Then it gets chucked in the dumpster while a manager watches (and we have to get the dumpster key from a manager anyway). Same if we, say, find another department's product in a cooler not belonging to that cooler's department. We have no idea how long it was out of refrigeration (so if I find a steak in a freezer, it gets damaged out).

There's some stuff that's similar between different departments, but it'll be refrigerated in one, frozen in another. For example, the meat department has refrigerated store-brand kolaches. Frozen has frozen store-brand kolaches (and the packaging is even pretty similar between them). I often find the meat dept's kolaches in the freezer right next to the frozen ones. The refrigerated ones come in frozen, and thaw in the meat coolers when stocked - those get handed back to meat if there's no visible frost on the packaging (frost means it was damp when it went into the freezer, which means it sat out a bit).

We're super paranoid about the "cold chain".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Adiabatic posted:

e: also gently caress all y'all I'm painting my block dull beige FIGHT ME.

:bisonyes:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Adiabatic posted:

This is gonna sound elitist but "we have people for that" and this entire thing is an exercise at learning for job-related activities.

Srsly, gently caress crimping network cables. It used to make sense when premade cables were stupid expensive, but it's been years since that was the case. Especially if your doing this for a learning environment, nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot switch configs only to realize the cable that looks fine isn't actually working correctly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

That's next but I gotta get this CCNA done and this MCSA started first yo

e: also gently caress all y'all I'm painting my block dull beige FIGHT ME.
No need to fight, I suggested it. Camrytan!

slurry_curry posted:

Srsly, gently caress crimping network cables. It used to make sense when premade cables were stupid expensive, but it's been years since that was the case. Especially if your doing this for a learning environment, nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot switch configs only to realize the cable that looks fine isn't actually working correctly.

Eh, I still crimp my own. Exact lengths and all... Plus I've got a cable tester and I'm pretty quick at it. Cat6 still sucks to crimp, unless you are using the paladin thru-feed terminals, but most of my stuff is 5e. Actually, I buy premade ones and cut them to length, which means only one crimp per cable.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

No need to fight, I suggested it. Camrytan!

Hey thunder stealer.

Suburban Dad posted:

It's a Toyota so make it beige as gently caress

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Camry was blue dang it.

It was a 1990 though, when a lot of them were.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

Hey thunder stealer.

poo poo, you're right... Stolen valor, I guess. Take your rightful beige crown.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
As long as you're not painting the car Camry Beige too. Then you'll have to give it a "Camry Dent"

https://jalopnik.com/the-incredible-mystery-of-the-camry-dent-1785413530

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Vanagoon posted:

As long as you're not painting the car Camry Beige too. Then you'll have to give it a "Camry Dent"

I told my wife about the Camry dent a few weeks ago, after pointing one out. I don't think she fully believed me. Until she looked and about 2 weeks later she said "you know, I've seen several Camrys with the dent you pointed out."

Some myths are true.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Vanagoon posted:

I had a beige Camry with the dent, kind of wish I'd kept it. Good reliable driving appliance.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress crimping cable unless you need the length to be exact or there’s no other way.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I have been in New Jersey all week. I am not a fan of New Jersey.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It all depends on the locale. Some parts are beautiful, the rest is Blade runner or the worst sprawl you've every seen... Or Trenton, or Jersey City, or Elizabeth, or AC.

South Jersey, the Pine Barrens, basically anywhere that's not near the big cities or the shore is really nice. Hell, parts of Bergen County are really pretty.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ladyfriend wanted to help with the paint. She's an artist and also a mechanical engineer.

We really took our time making sure all the edges were crisp, and that all the openings were covered. Most of it is at least double, if not triple layered.

Still need to pop the bolts in to cover the threaded holes, but otherwise it's ready for painting tomorrow:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It looks excited to get a new coat of paint.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

It looks excited to get a new coat of paint.

Hahahaha oh man I never even made that connection.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pressure washers, though...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Looks good, shame it's not pink though.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Agree, that looks good.

Pet that dog :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Camry tan! Yay.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This guarantees a Camry dent in the oil pan

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It looks fantastic in person.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

hahaha, yessssssssss

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Okay... NSX, 996 turbo, or completely hooptie a 996 N/A and LS swap it when the IMS bearing grenades itself?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I vote NSX or 996 w/ LS swap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I vote 996 w/ LS swap.

It will be way cheaper than an NSX even after the swap too.

Plus you wouldn't baby or worry about a 996 LS like you would the NSX. No diapers required.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 3, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That's really where my head's at right now. I've got a local one in silver/black for $16,900 that I want to badger down to $15,000. The 996 turbo or the NSX are $40s easy. I want to giant fuckoff wingaling it, put some max performance tires on it, fancy rear end suspension, and just generally abuse the poo poo out of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's the best bet really if you actually enjoy driving and not just showing off. I once had an immaculate 95M Miata that was so nice I was afraid to drive it, don't do that.

How much do the LS swaps run these days? I imagine there should be a few different swap kits out there by now. Probably shops that do it too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

That's really where my head's at right now. I've got a local one in silver/black for $16,900 that I want to badger down to $15,000. The 996 turbo or the NSX are $40s easy. I want to giant fuckoff wingaling it, put some max performance tires on it, fancy rear end suspension, and just generally abuse the poo poo out of it.

Have you considered a Camaro? I'm not even joking. The SS convertible I drove in Hawaii was an absolute riot of a hooligan of a car. It'd take a beating and keep coming back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Or just get the 996 NA and install the bushing replacement kit for the IMS bearing. Then beat the poo poo out of it :)

http://theimssolution.com/

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

Have you considered a 996 C4S to get the widebody? You don’t have to keep the front wheel drive if you don’t want to and you get more room in the rear for bigger stickies to handle all that LS torque. Unless your going for the narrowbody specifically, my broken brain actually like the looks.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Camaro is a legit suggestion. A new Camaro with the 1LE handling package can be had in the 40's. By all accounts it's a hell of a lot of car for the money and comes with a LS and a warranty

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Modus Man posted:

Have you considered a 996 C4S to get the widebody? You don’t have to keep the front wheel drive if you don’t want to and you get more room in the rear for bigger stickies to handle all that LS torque. Unless your going for the narrowbody specifically, my broken brain actually like the looks.

Aaaaand now I'm looking for a C4S.

meatpimp posted:

Have you considered a Camaro? I'm not even joking. The SS convertible I drove in Hawaii was an absolute riot of a hooligan of a car. It'd take a beating and keep coming back.

Maksimus54 posted:

Camaro is a legit suggestion. A new Camaro with the 1LE handling package can be had in the 40's. By all accounts it's a hell of a lot of car for the money and comes with a LS and a warranty

Just can't do it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How much do the LS swaps run these days? I imagine there should be a few different swap kits out there by now. Probably shops that do it too.
Hoovies Garage on Youtube recently blew up a 996 and did an LS swap. Granted, he paid a mechanic for labor but he put out the number $17k for the swap. Included a couple pretty expensive adapter kits.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You fuckin' hipster, the Camaro rules.

I'd get the nsx if those were my choices though. :haw: Early 90s Japanese cars looked sweet and also rule. Fd with an ls swap makes for an amazing machine as well. Sorry radl, it's the truth.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Hoovies Garage on Youtube recently blew up a 996 and did an LS swap. Granted, he paid a mechanic for labor but he put out the number $17k for the swap. Included a couple pretty expensive adapter kits.

Yikes that's pretty steep....But man a C4s with an LS would be the poo poo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah, and the LSx kit was supposed to be "just connect the pipes and plugs and away you go" and it definitely wasn't. It would be way cheaper to have a NSX than go through badly made kits to get a LS in a 996.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Y'all are killing my unrealistic and heavily optimistic "if it blows up I'll just LS-swap it" narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Buy the NSX and LS swap it if you blow the motor?