Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Well hey everybody! Friendly neighbor Adiabatic here. You may remember me from this:

Well, life's been busy since then. I recently bought a small place of my own to call home back in June. Plenty of stuff needs to be done, and like any sane person all the house money has been put into the garage.

This thread is planned as a collection of pictures and stories stemming from garage upgrades and visits from friends. They pay in beer. I'm never going to need to buy beer ever again.

Anyways, here's the garage:

It's a 25'x40' Quonset Hut installed by the previous owner. There's some really nice features (4" reinforced concrete, nice lighting, conduit, plenty of 220V service) and some not so nice features (the back wall looks like rear end, the garage door is heavy and one step up from garbage, random cabinets everywhere, that weird room in the back).

And the inside:

The PO was kind enough to leave an out of place granite-top cabinet, some shelves, a fridge, a parts washer, a wood stove, a shitload of 'Murican muscle stickers, and a morally questionable BASIL grow room.

Progress has been made since buying it in June, but I'll try to stagger the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

First things first, that room needs to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIQ0gvnhYE

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That video would've been an all time classic if he had yelled OH YEAH as he burst through the wall. Rebuild the room and do it again. :colbert:

You have a gorgeous property, holy poo poo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks! That view is from the back of the house. It's got a tiny little front yard and then the gate opens up to all that. Blew my mind when I first saw it.

Hey at least he made an Ahnold yell.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Needs more content, but subbed based on thread title alone.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
e: oops im dumb

skylineboy08 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 14, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Subbed, this should be a good replacement for the void in my heart left by DrPain's shop thread.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Basil my rear end. Can I get a abridged version of the S2000's backstory?

Eaten By A Grue
Aug 13, 2006

Gorson posted:

Basil my rear end. Can I get a abridged version of the S2000's backstory?

Sketchy man fails to yield right of way, smash smash, profit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Or: How I Learned to Stop Fixing poo poo and Love USAA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

skylineboy08 posted:

e: oops im dumb

:mad:

Since cats are slipping out of bags already, might as well get on with it...

There was no housewarming party, as things got weird inside:

:psyboom:

However, I did buy myself a beer pong table as a housewarming gift:

Had a guy off craigslist do the whole deal for a great price. Dude just travels around installing lifts throughout Central Virginia. I had a garage party afterwards and he slept in his 40' flatbed in the backyard after out-drinking everyone. Cool guy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Another view of the beer pong table:

Note the project car. It's a convertible automatic E30. A buddy and I rebuilt the head, but unfortunately the interior went to poo poo, so we've left it there and are hoping it will somehow disappear.

I put Mister 2-Slow up on the lift and did the oil pan gasket:

That thing really likes to leak. If you look closely over the course of the pictures, you'll notice a spot on the cement slowly growing.

Somehow the RVA Subies facebook group got wind of what I was doing despite never having owned a Subaru. No matter, they're welcome as long as they bring beer!

First customer was a WRX. We did a compression test and replaced his exhaust with a 3" from the turbo back:

His tab came up to an 18-pack of Yuengling, and he was nice enough to tip another 18-pack of Yuengling Black & Tan. Delicious!

A Legacy GT wagon did the exhaust from the turbo back, but kept his mufflers:

Another 18-pack of Yuengling worth of service.

A WRX came in for 4 struts:

This guy actually paid me in cash ($150), but it was 1/4 of what some "friend" of his was going to charge ($600 :stonk: ). I also threw in a sway bar replacement for free. That was a mistake.

I also inherited a riding lawnmower that hadn't been started in a few years:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
This should make it way easier to check the rod bearings on your vehicles. Subscribed.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
He was just stress testing his motor man. It was spec'd for 9500rpm.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Maybe before my rebuild :downs:

Maniac Pahis
Nov 3, 2010

by Ralp
I'm a cope :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Gonna follow this thread, love all the garage-talk in AI lately even if it does make me jealous as all gently caress.

Where in central VA are you located? I'm up in Charlottesville but would definitely bring all the beer if it meant access to a lift and goon-times.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

This guy actually paid me in cash ($150), but it was 1/4 of what some "friend" of his was going to charge ($600 :stonk: )
What? $600 labour? It's like an afternoon's job, even without a lift, and taking your time because you keep going back in the house for another beer.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

InitialDave posted:

and taking your time because you keep going back in the house for another beer.

WTF if you don't have a beer fridge in the garage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Gonna follow this thread, love all the garage-talk in AI lately even if it does make me jealous as all gently caress.

Where in central VA are you located? I'm up in Charlottesville but would definitely bring all the beer if it meant access to a lift and goon-times.

I'm in Richmond. Come on out!

In fact, if any AI goons are in the area you and your beer are welcome.

InitialDave posted:

What? $600 labour? It's like an afternoon's job, even without a lift, and taking your time because you keep going back in the house for another beer.

Yeah no joke. Poor guy was all excited about it until I told him I'd hook him up. I honestly still feel like $150 was too much, but I made that back up with that damned front sway bar.

Eaten By A Grue
Aug 13, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

WTF if you don't have a beer fridge in the garage.

Beer and liquor in the garage fridge or get out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah no joke. Poor guy was all excited about it until I told him I'd hook him up. I honestly still feel like $150 was too much, but I made that back up with that damned front sway bar.

Front swaybars on a turbo Subaru are so much fun.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
Awesome garage

Adiabatic posted:

I'm in Richmond. Come on out!

Maybe I will :gooncamp:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Central VA goon meet?

I need to gather some more parts, but I've got so much suspension poo poo to install on the Forester (you can never escape the Subarus). A lift would turn a week-long hell march into a semi-pleasant day of wrenching.

mkdnn02
Jan 26, 2004
Lots of RVA AI goons it seems?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
wtf is going on with that paint inside? Did they paint the house during a monsoon?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Yay! More Garage chat!

Why'd you go with a two post instead of a four?

Congrats on the new house! :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

8ender posted:

wtf is going on with that paint inside? Did they paint the house during a monsoon?

No clue. The best explanation I've heard is they didn't wash the walls before they painted. It peeled off like an orange rind, and with a heat gun it was coming off in sheets.

Thankfully that mess is done and over with now.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yay! More Garage chat!

Why'd you go with a two post instead of a four?

Congrats on the new house! :)

Thanks! The four posts are more expensive, and in my mind they're more tailored for storage. The two-post also takes up less space when there isn't a car on it.

More updates soon!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Adiabatic posted:

No clue. The best explanation I've heard is they didn't wash the walls before they painted. It peeled off like an orange rind, and with a heat gun it was coming off in sheets.

Thankfully that mess is done and over with now.

Thanks! The four posts are more expensive, and in my mind they're more tailored for storage. The two-post also takes up less space when there isn't a car on it.

More updates soon!

Do you have a make and model of that lift? The ones I looked into required a 12" Thick concrete pad beneath them to install, which has put me off of them. If 4" reinforced is enough, I may tailor my next home search towards a garage that can fit one.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's one of the generic Chinese 9,000 lb lifts that are sold under a billion different names. I bought it here. I'll grab a picture of the Engrish instructions tonight.

Everywhere I've read says 4" non-reinforced is fine for anything up to 10,000 lbs, and after that 6" non-reinforced is fine up to 20,000 lbs. Can't be within 18" of a crack more than ~2ft long though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You can cut a hole and add thicker concrete, there's no reason you have to find a whole different garage.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The irony will not be lost on anyone if he has to tear down this lift and redo the pad because it wasn't correctly installed the first time. :buddy:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Fucknag posted:

Subbed, this should be a good replacement for the void in my heart left by DrPain's shop thread.

Me too.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I rented one of my rooms out, and the guy is an electrician that dabbles in carpentry. Very cool dude, we get along well. You may have noticed his two bikes in some of the recent photos:

His two are on the left. The Yamaha needs a starter and the Honda V4 I don't even know. That red thing is a bike lift he also brought along.

Put this guy in a couple of weeks ago:

Installed, though my over-engineered mess of piping hadn't been constructed yet:

Northern Tool & Equipment, despite having some badass compressors, didn't have any vibration pads... I finally found some under the lovely air compressor accessory aisle at Lowes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

the Honda V4 I don't even know.

That's their default condition.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Front swaybars on a turbo Subaru are so much fun.

Huh? All you do is take off that bottom support plate and it drops right out. The n/a subarus are the pain in the rear end because it goes above the header.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

Huh? All you do is take off that bottom support plate and it drops right out. The n/a subarus are the pain in the rear end because it goes above the header.

That's what I was thinking too, aren't most of the turbo ones simpler too just being a straight bar essentially while the non-turbo's have a bunch of bends to avoid the exhaust.

ie.

turbo:

vs

non-turbo:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

revmoo posted:

You can cut a hole and add thicker concrete, there's no reason you have to find a whole different garage.

Yeah true, but it puts more of a priority on high ceilings than without.

I'm also too much of a construction nerd to just put a small pad in, I'd overdo the whole thing, cut an oversized chunk out, pour in two 12x12 grade beams with sloped sides and tie it into the existing slab.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 15, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Here's the inside of the front door:

PO really liked stickers.

The cash register beer fridge:

Introducing the Quadrapuss:

He came with the house.

Finally, if anyone's into bow hunting, please come kill these horned rats that show up in my backyard daily:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That dude must've bought a lot of Hoosiers! This thread is awesome so far, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the place.