Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife loves the smoked salmon we make. To the point where any time I talk about smoking, she wants it to be salmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I want to cold smoke some salmon one day.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I have a Brinkman smoke n grill with the lovely "warm/ideal/hot" thermometer. Any recommendations for a good replacement that will still fit in the hole of the original? I assume it is fairly standard but don't want to risk ordering one I can't use.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Remote wireless dual probe thermometers are where it's at man. You'll never look at your crappy stock thermometer again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ/ref=dp_cerb_2

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

QuarkMartial posted:

I want to cold smoke some salmon one day.

Hot smoked salmon is so much better tho!

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a Brinkman smoke n grill with the lovely "warm/ideal/hot" thermometer. Any recommendations for a good replacement that will still fit in the hole of the original? I assume it is fairly standard but don't want to risk ordering one I can't use.

The Thermoworks Smoke is a great/fantastic choice.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Remote wireless dual probe thermometers are where it's at man. You'll never look at your crappy stock thermometer again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ/ref=dp_cerb_2

Listen to the man Deanie.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thinking of smoking some salmon. Anyone have a go to method/recipe they use?

I've tried a few and settled on this wet brine as the far away favorite:

3 lbs salmon
1/3 cup sugar (or brown sugar)
1/4 cup salt
2 cups low sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or freshly ground black pepper)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (or hot sauce of choice)

Mix all the ingredients for the brine together, and whisk it good to get everything dissolved. Put the salmon in a glass baking dish and pour the brine over, then cover, and put in the fridge for 8 hours.
Next morning, take the fish out and shake off any excess brine, and then put it back in the fridge on a rack. I also take this opportunity to cut out some parchment paper and put the fish on that, then trim the parchment to match the fish. This just helps me be lazy by vastly reducing the amount of effort it takes to clean your racks and grates off.
You want to have it sitting in the fridge uncovered for a good 4 hours or so. The surface of the fish should get tacky/sticky to the touch. This is what you want to get the smoke sticking to it as good as possible.

After it's rested in the fridge for 4 hours, I smoke it at 225 till the fish hits about 140-145 internal. It'll be the most moist delicious fish you've ever had.

I've tried a few different variations in terms of rubs, maple syrup basting, etc, but it's hard to beat just going plain brined.

e: pic from last time I made it:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 16, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrYenko posted:

I threw a salmon filet in my first smoker on a whim when I was test-firing it, and it came out awesome with just salt and pepper. Don’t overthink it.

Yeah, I'm not really overthinking it too much.

Here is my plan:

1) Going to thaw a sockeye in my water chiller that was shipped overnight from AK and caught by a bear.
2) Once thawed, fillet it taking into the considerations of my dinner individual party preferences.
3) When that task is done I will gently rub it to release the oils.
4) Using a monocle and a pair of tweezers, finding pin bones and removing them with ultimate precision.
4) Going to take in various allergies of my guests when I apply seasoning.
5) Sous vide the fillets. Then do a reverse smoke and sear as I prepare a glaze from seasonings sourced from far reaches of the globe.
6) Hire a professional photographer and blog about it.

Reality:

1) Thawed a couple frozen vacuum sealed salmon fillets in a bowl of water.
2) Ran out of time to smoke them, tossed them in a foil bag with lemon, rosemary, salt and pepper
3) Going with some roasted potatoes and asparagus
4) Everything in the oven with a couple sheet pans

:v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also fwiw regular ole fatty farm raised salmon works as good or better than wild stuff for smoking.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
The rainy season is steaming straight towards us here in the PacNW and I'm left without a permanent shelter for my grills/smoker. Any pop up type suggestions that can keep things dry? This will likely only be used during cooks and such, so I'm not too worried about it smelling super smokey, but it most certainly needs to be able to hold up to some rain. Any thoughts, goons?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bluedeanie posted:

I bought a similar sized one hoping I could swap it out, but the hole and the way it mounts is different than something conventional. I ended up just drilling a hole next to it and inserting my new one. I use that for checking the ambient temp in the smoker, but per the other advice you've already received I also use a probe to check the food's temp.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Also fwiw regular ole fatty farm raised salmon works as good or better than wild stuff for smoking.

I agree with this. I've heard "oh you gotta get the real stuff" but the farm raised stuff has been better every time.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

qutius posted:

The rainy season is steaming straight towards us here in the PacNW and I'm left without a permanent shelter for my grills/smoker. Any pop up type suggestions that can keep things dry? This will likely only be used during cooks and such, so I'm not too worried about it smelling super smokey, but it most certainly needs to be able to hold up to some rain. Any thoughts, goons?

What sort of smokers are you cooking with? I used to live in MA and would just deal with the elements when it was time to smoke.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Gwaihir posted:

3 lbs salmon
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all the ingredients for the brine together, and whisk it good to get everything dissolved. Put the salmon in a glass baking dish and pour the brine over, then cover, and put in the fridge for 8 hours.
Next morning, take the fish out and shake off any excess brine, and then put it back in the fridge on a rack. I also take this opportunity to cut out some parchment paper and put the fish on that, then trim the parchment to match the fish. This just helps me be lazy by vastly reducing the amount of effort it takes to clean your racks and grates off.
You want to have it sitting in the fridge uncovered for a good 4 hours or so. The surface of the fish should get tacky/sticky to the touch. This is what you want to get the smoke sticking to it as good as possible.

After it's rested in the fridge for 4 hours, I smoke it at 225 till the fish hits about 140-145 internal. It'll be the most moist delicious fish you've ever had.

I've tried a few different variations in terms of rubs, maple syrup basting, etc, but it's hard to beat just going plain brined.

How long about do you end up smoking it?

I cold smoked some sockeye once with Alton Brown's method and it was the best lox I've ever had.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Gwaihir posted:

Agreed and I also strongly recommend the steelhead from Costco for smoking. It's like $7.99 a pound and comes skin-on so you get all of that fat from the skin rendering into your meat. Also cutting your giant fish slab into smaller pieces after the cure increases the surface area that smoke will adhere to, so you will get a smokier fish. I use Alton Brown's recipe mentioned a few posts ago.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

McSpankWich posted:

How long about do you end up smoking it?

I cold smoked some sockeye once with Alton Brown's method and it was the best lox I've ever had.

It's pretty quick in the the scheme of things you can smoke, if you don't cut your large slab up then maybe 2 hours at most. If you slice it then it'll be faster, too.

I smoke in the Weber kettle with a slow n sear, and Salmon only takes a handful of like 14~ briquettes.

I do think that fish is one of those things where you want to watch the temps more than usual though. A pork butt really won't care very much, but the fish I had cooked at 225 the whole way was way way better than one where I didn't pay attention as well and let the temp hit 275 at one point.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 16, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Just use an actual probe thermometer with 2 probes. 1 for the meat 1 for the smoker.

Warning though. This fucker eats charcoal like that's its job. I've done a brisket before and I ended up having to load a chimney pretty much every hour and half or so.

(This is with a grate on the bottom, holes drilled through, and the coal pan sitting in bricks so I could lift the smoker and refill it easily). I ended up getting a masterbuilt electric smoker because in the long run it was such a pain to load pound after pound of coals into it.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

ada shatan posted:

What sort of smokers are you cooking with? I used to live in MA and would just deal with the elements when it was time to smoke.

I smoke with either my Weber kettle or WSM, and have an older gas grill as well.

It'll rain until May or June here, starting about...now.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Made my first pork shoulder this weekend, put it on at 4pm and ended taking it off at 6:30am when it hit 197, then held it in a cooler that had been prepped with hot water. What a beautiful way to cook pork! I used a mix of mainly pecan with a little cherry mixed in, and it's amazing how you can taste the difference in wood (prior to this I'd used hickory). I just cooked it straight with no mop or anything other than a rub, but looking around online it seems like some people swear by injections or mops. My thought was, wouldn't a mop extend the stall and mean it takes even longer? Does it really provide that big of a flavor difference?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rub the butt, throw on grill, toss what wood you have at it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
In my mind, injections are just flavors that can be added after it's pulled. I've never bothered. I

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Just collect the drippings and make a sauce instead of injecting it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, echoing injections not being a thing to worry about. Anything you'd think you want to inject or mop with is probably even better overall just used as a sauce.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife loves the smoked salmon we make. To the point where any time I talk about smoking, she wants it to be salmon.

You should try out steelhead trout if you get a chance, it's fantastic!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Just collect the drippings and make a sauce instead of injecting it.

Collect the drippings and inject them back in. Best of both worlds.

Or just inject the drippings directly into my veins.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just do it like chocolate milk. Pour the drippings into your mouth, take a bite of meat and then shake your head around.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 17, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thinking about getting a smoker, just no idea what kind to get. I’m leaning towards electric because I’m in a townhouse and a charcoal or wood fueled one doesn’t sound like it will work for me.

It’s only my wife and I, so I’ll likely do it for some chicken thighs or some ribs or pulled pork every now and then or when I have people over. It’s not likely I would ever do a brisket.

I’m in Virginia and would like to be able to do it year round, so I think insulation would be important.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just get the MES (master built electric smoker) with the aftermarket amps (maze pellet tray) like the 25 other people in this thread. Best fire and forget smoker that's easy to use and operate.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

unknown posted:

Just get the MES (master built electric smoker) with the aftermarket amps (maze pellet tray) like the 25 other people in this thread. Best fire and forget smoker that's easy to use and operate.

Which Masterbuilt? I looked at the last five pages and didn’t see anything?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Oh, new models since I last looked. The 35b looks pretty good, it's got an upgraded element (1400w) too, so it'll do well in the cold. The window is useless so glad they got rid of it. The box is already insulated, and I've got no idea how good the Bluetooth is since my model doesn't have it (old school 40" here)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely get an electric. Super easy to learn and operate, yet still delicious.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

unknown posted:

Oh, new models since I last looked. The 35b looks pretty good, it's got an upgraded element (1400w) too, so it'll do well in the cold. The window is useless so glad they got rid of it. The box is already insulated, and I've got no idea how good the Bluetooth is since my model doesn't have it (old school 40" here)

Dang, they really changed their lineup/looks.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

It'll be the most moist delicious fish you've ever had.

Thank you so much for the recipe! I made it last night and it was amazing. Smoked over cherry, turned out just fantastic.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

15" Kamado $199

How good a smoker would this be? Decent for the price or not worth it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Carillon posted:

Thank you so much for the recipe! I made it last night and it was amazing. Smoked over cherry, turned out just fantastic.

Helll yeah.

The biggest challenge I always have when making this is having any left over/not devouring it all the instant it comes off the smoker. If you're making it for a crowd, I always end up picking off the little fattiest belly pieces myself first just because it's the cook's perogative to snipe the best bites straight away.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

Helll yeah.

The biggest challenge I always have when making this is having any left over/not devouring it all the instant it comes off the smoker. If you're making it for a crowd, I always end up picking off the little fattiest belly pieces myself first just because it's the cook's perogative to snipe the best bites straight away.

It's pretty stunning, and so easy! I wish I'd had another one to immediately brine. Do you ever reuse the brine? I figure you might be able to get a few uses out of it, but didn't on this go round.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've never really re-used it, I can't fit much more than about ~4 pounds in my fridge at once without clearing out a ton of stuff, so it's usually a one and done kinda thing. I do make sure that if I'm gonna do it, I do as much as will fit on my smoker though. It makes for amazing sandwiches, omelete fillings, salad toppings, anything really so all the leftovers vanish very fast. Usually I just have it either straight up with some lemon juice, or as a sandwich with a mayo/lemon juice combo.

If you want to really go overboard, add in some bacon that straddles the cripsy/chewey line on the sandwich and die really happy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

15" Kamado $199

How good a smoker would this be? Decent for the price or not worth it?

That looks too small for even regular grilling--let alone smoking. Even going up another five inches in diameter gives you twice the area and generally more space to work in. I even found a picture online where I'm pretty sure they'd be burning their hands if the grill was actually hot with the way they were trying to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

3 lbs salmon
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

I'm going to try to do this recipe this weekend. How long does it takes to get the fish to 140?