Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ralsei is a talking hat, the goat is an elaborate puppet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i'm not comfortable making any big assumptions on how the plot's going since there are still so many factors in play, but i do think the Dark World is presented as a more "safe," comfortable, fantastical alternative to the mundane desperation of Hometown, and Noelle's particular issues make her a lot more vulnerable to the temptations of such a place. rudy makes a point of saying how scared and stressed she is by everything around her, and her denial over the severity of his illness likely isn't helping matters. the way things stand, i can definitely see her buying into the Dark World's escapism to the point where she becomes an antagonistic force

still, like i said, can't make assumptions. we've still got factors like the other fountains, whatever Ralsei's deal is, the Queen, the Knight, and this possible "other Him" who hijacked our character-creation process during the initial survey. way too many plates spinning right now to make any safe bets as to which ones will come crashing down and why

I'll agree with you there, it's still way too early to be making any big assumptions.
But, I have a feeling that this game won't actually be that much darker than Undertale was, while it is dealing with darker more realistic themes I get the feeling that at the end things will mostly turn out okay for the main characters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Pulsarcat posted:

I'll agree with you there, it's still way too early to be making any big assumptions.
But, I have a feeling that this game won't actually be that much darker than Undertale was, while it is dealing with darker more realistic themes I get the feeling that at the end things will mostly turn out okay for the main characters.
Toby has said the ending of the game is something he saw in a literal fever dream so whatever it is, it's gonna be weird.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Toby has said the ending of the game is something he saw in a literal fever dream so whatever it is, it's gonna be weird.

So what you're saying is, dance party ending confirmed!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Must have missed that, do you have a link

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While it's too soon to anticipate any exact plot beats at this point, it's at least worth noting even now that the second version of Lost Girl Toby posted is a bit more upbeat. Might not be all bad for Noelle in the end.

Also, while I'm sure I'm far from the first to think of the angel doll in the hospital room in relation to her outfit, I'd forgotten the detail that Kris and Asriel tried to make one, too. Possibly not an irrelevant detail.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tunicate posted:

Must have missed that, do you have a link
First site I could find that had a copy of the interview:
https://gonintendo.com/stories/328985-deltarune-creator-gets-a-featured-interview-in-the-switch-news-se

quote:

Q: How long has the idea for Deltarune been kicking around in your head?

Fox: In 2011, when I was away at school, I got very sick. I ended up having a terrible fever and couldn’t get any medicine for it, and while I was sleeping I had a vivid dream about the ending to a game. Since then… I felt like I had to make the game with that ending. I attempted to make that game in 2012 using character designs by an artist I really like called Kanotynes. However, I stopped making it even before I made a single room of the game.

That game… I ended up repurposing a few of the songs from it for Undertale. For example, “Heartache” was originally called “Joker Battle” and “Bonetrousle” was originally the main battle theme. Then I decided around when I did the Kickstarter to Undertale (2013) that if I ever completed Undertale, my next game would be a mix of Undertale and that concept.

I have to make what I saw in my dream. I don’t even know if it’s particularly good, but I have to do it…

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This comes off a bit ominous, like some elder God is commanding Toby to make an ending to a game.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Someone made a theory about the Delta Rune and Noelle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Deltarune/comments/cvv6s0/why_i_think_the_actual_angel_is_noelle_holiday/

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Danaru posted:

Alphys on the other hand fuckin' sucks and basically derailed any chance of a peaceful resolution by going "ALMOST GOT YOUR SOUL SPLENDA ANY SECOND NOW" constantly making Asgore think he didnt need to look for an alternative anymore, Alphys made a fake soul for Mettaton so she clearly has it under control.

No, she didn't? Mettaton doesn't own a human soul, and her goals were just to cure depression, nothing that she did had any effect on the fate of the underground, it was Mettaton's fault for actually trying to kill the child where Alphys was blinded by Mental Illness (It is VERY HEAVILY implied in the game that she was going to kill herself if it wasn't for her chance meeting with Undyne).

If Alphys was a guy you wouldn't be criticizing her at all.

Toriel NEVER said to kill any humans and just left it at "collect" which could've meant that Asgore could've taken an dying old man

Fangz posted:

Note that Alphys did actually ultimately succeed with her idea to make a determination powered soul-vessel to gather up monster souls. Assuming that Alphys only came on to the stage when a number of fallen humans (possibly even all 6) have already been killed, far from almost derailing peace, Alphys actually managed to narrowly avert war.

This.

Danaru posted:

The dude just watched both of his kids die in the same day, he should get a pass for being hyperbolic in anger and not fully thinking his plan out

But Alphys doesn't get a pass for her mental illness and suicidal remorse despite doing less than what Asgore did? (MURDER CHILDREN)

cock hero flux posted:

asgore and undyne attempt to kill frisk because the fate of their entire civilization hangs in the balance and there is no other course of action which would result in anything other than being trapped underground forever. mettaton tries to kill frisk partly so that he can personally escape but also because he's fallen in love with humanity and wants to prevent asgore from destroying them. papyrus tries to capture frisk for personal gain but legitimately has no idea that frisk would actually be harmed by this in any way and doesn't seem to understand why the king even wants humans captured.

alphys does not attempt to kill frisk but does put them in incredibly harmful situations which can and do result in them getting hurt purely because she wants to feel important. no other reason, any of the situations she set up could have resulted in frisk dying and there is no point to them whatsoever. civilizations aren't on the line, there's no great noble goal that might provide any justification for it. she just feels like doing it so that she can get to be cool. she's doing something that's 90% as bad as what everyone else is doing for 0% of the justifiable reasons.

What a bunch of bullshit. Papyrus antics ALSO harm Frisks so the "but duh the bitch fake nerd girl also harms frisk" argument is bullshit that has no logic to it for the same reason. Alphys doesn't kill Frisk because SHE has empathy like every other character in the game not because she's a one-dimensional bitch who's doing it for the fame. She already WAS famous and she had the STRESS of THE ENTIRE UNDERGROUND putting the job of being the ROYAL SCIENTIST on her for however long after Gaster died(?) to the point that she messed up the Soul experiments (That were done to HELP the Underground and SAVE PEOPLE WHO DIED) and was ON THE VERGE OF SUICIDE. It wasn't "for popularity". It was "so I can convince everyone (and myself) to see that I'm not a worthless piece of poo poo who horribly mutated a bunch of innocent monsters on accident."

Danaru posted:

Alphys also had basically no stakes besides wanting to be popular. Asgore and Toriel lost their kids and are dealing with it in lovely ways, Alphys wanted to be popular and then accidentally did a Mengele in her basement. Plus the whole thing with her and Mettaton having a fake adventure was super gross and manipulative. Honestly I'd consider Asgore trying to kill you so he can use your soul to free his people LESS cold than leading you on a lovely adventure where you almost died so Alphys could play anime adventure time. At least Asgore is trying to accomplish something.

E: ^^^ yeah that.

"Wanted to be popular" no she wasn't, see above. "Fake adventure was super gross and mainpulative" but not murdering children. " Alphys could play anime adventure time." if anything it was Mettaton who benefited from the anime adventure more than Alphys, if anything she probably did it so that she could get him off of her back about how the sexy robot trans boy is the coolest guy ever and he should be the star while Alphys gets no credit from what she did.

And for gently caress's sake, don't COMPARE SILLY VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS TO AN WAR CRIMINAL. THAT'S super gross. But I guess a fictional female character being naughty is more important to you than tasteful comparisons to literal nazis who's goals were completely incomparable to a gay dinosaurs.

And I love that everyone ignores the fact that the creations of her "mengele" ARE people with their own emotions and feelings...who show no hatred to Alphys because she was just trying to help them in the end and when they finally reunite with their families ALL of them show little fright at the fact that their family had turned into even weirder monsters.

But that would require you to humanize the monsters in a game about doing just that. Guess you'd prefer making "tasteful" godwin comparsions.

Tenebrais posted:

I'll say one thing for Toriel not doing anything to stop Asgore - he is the king, and she is not. It's one thing to argue with your husband but another to commit treason. If she didn't respect the institution of the monarchy she wouldn't have been queen in the first place.
Toriel was queen before the "kill all humans" plan and the act of killing Asgore probably would've lead to people starting an civil war against "that evil queen who murdered the king" or Asgore killing her leading to "the king kill his wife because straight people are the devil" and then asgore gets stabbed to death.

Macaluso posted:

I always get really frustrated at the hate Alphys gets.

^

somepartsareme posted:

alphys gets hate because she's a woman

Fixed.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tunicate posted:

Ralsei is a talking hat, the goat is an elaborate puppet

Give him a guitar and he's suddennly I-No.

Kris confirmed as guest character for the new Guilty Gear game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alphys sucks and did some hosed up poo poo but is also a really really good character

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

as soon as i noticed that the holliday's antlers were crosses i immediately tied noelle to the "angel's heaven" line, though i'm not making any conjecture further past that

TheNamedSavior posted:

sound and thunder

three months passed, buddy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think we got enough to go on for whatever Noelle's deal is. I'm guessing that all real people who go to the Dark World get their own forms- but it's not clear if it's like their idealized versions of themselves or an actual reflection of what they really are or something like that. Noelle could have an angel motif because she's nice/benevolent, or she wants to help people and that's her image of the idea, or it could be some real maudlin thing like she knows her dad is dying and wants to be an angel so she can still see him or something like that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I wouldn't rule Noelle's mom out on anything yet, either.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fabricated posted:

I don't think we got enough to go on for whatever Noelle's deal is. I'm guessing that all real people who go to the Dark World get their own forms- but it's not clear if it's like their idealized versions of themselves or an actual reflection of what they really are or something like that. Noelle could have an angel motif because she's nice/benevolent, or she wants to help people and that's her image of the idea, or it could be some real maudlin thing like she knows her dad is dying and wants to be an angel so she can still see him or something like that.

Wasn't there something in the game about her dressing up as an angel for Halloween? Or did I make that up? She just really seems like the kind of kid who would dress up as an angel for Halloween.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fangz posted:

I hope Ralsei gets a different hat every chapter.

I'm kind of partial to Paper Trail's take on this: every chapter it's a new character with a different anagram of Asriel and a different coloured costume. And only at the end of the game does the real Asriel stroll in like

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
paper trail's got some neat ideas and i give it kudos for hammering down a solid episodic structure for its plot, but the central diary-page conceit is weeeaaak

does anyone even use paper diaries anymore i mean geez

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

paper trail's got some neat ideas and i give it kudos for hammering down a solid episodic structure for its plot, but the central diary-page conceit is weeeaaak

does anyone even use paper diaries anymore i mean geez

Yes. I don't know if it's super common but my sister and most of her friends do. The idea being that a paper diary is a lot safer than anything digital.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. I don't know if it's super common but my sister and most of her friends do. The idea being that a paper diary is a lot safer than anything digital.

This is probably accurate.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Do they also record 6+ voice tapes containing world building and plot information and leave them lying around in the house?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I'm not going to lie, I saw you imply I was sexist for saying I dont like a video game character who made controversial decisions three months ago, and saw the length of your post, and decided to just skip the whole thing. At some point you really gotta decide if it's worth it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wonder whose rereg it is

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

TheNamedSavior posted:

No, she didn't? Mettaton doesn't own a human soul, and her goals were just to cure depression, nothing that she did had any effect on the fate of the underground, it was Mettaton's fault for actually trying to kill the child where Alphys was blinded by Mental Illness (It is VERY HEAVILY implied in the game that she was going to kill herself if it wasn't for her chance meeting with Undyne).

If Alphys was a guy you wouldn't be criticizing her at all.

If Alphys was a guy, she would be Huey Emmerich :v:

ok Alphys isn't THAT bad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, Huey's deal is that he doesn't feel remorse for his fuckups and blames other people for his faults. While blaming herself for her mistakes is all Alphys does.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Procrastine posted:

If Alphys was a guy, she would be Huey Emmerich :v:

ok Alphys isn't THAT bad

Yeah, she's more of an Elro. But even then that's not even a perfect comparison. Alphys is someone over her head trying to help but once she promised good news, she couldn't bring herself to turn around and tell people what really happened and I both can't blame her because I'm a coward and also I'm not sure of any other characters to compare her with.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Alphys is that one smart kid in class that everyone pays to do their homework. But soon it gets to be too much and they start cracking under the social pressure and deadlines which turns into a cycle of self-loathing that spirals into manic depression.

The pic of the trash can says it all.

And her arc is essentially getting her to admit her mistakes and become a better person by being more honest about her goals and ambitions once again. It fits well with the actualizations of the other characters, too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ImpAtom posted:

A new paper diary for every entry sounds like the best way to go, really

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
hating on alphys is a red flag imo

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

make it a dating profile attribute

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, Huey's deal is that he doesn't feel remorse for his fuckups and blames other people for his faults. While blaming herself for her mistakes is all Alphys does.
I don't recall Alphys changing her story like three times in two sentences when explaining something either

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Me?! How was I supposed to know harvesting the souls of children is wrong?! It's YOUR fault I made them, Asgore! You're the monster! You're the king of all monsters! You believe me, right Frisk?!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nah, sorry, Alphys gets ragged on because she's the easiest character to identify with. People with self-esteem and avoidance issues tend to be a lot better at hating on themselves than others.

E: Not to imply she isn't also the worst; she is.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 16, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
She gets ragged on because she’s a very clear fuckup in very obvious ways, because she’s a giant nerd that would be utterly insufferable in real life (arguably reaching that level in-game), and because players and people often have viscerally negative reactions to things stripping their agency

the game itself acknowledges all of this, has Alphys herself acknowledge it, and treats her obvious depression and desperation with compassion and understanding, even while it’s made clear that how she behaved and acted was wrong and cowardly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alphys gets mad poo poo for forcing herself into conversation while nothing is happening and then having the audacity of talking too much and not being funny in 90% of it like everyone but Toriel and Asgore.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alphys reminds everyone of their spineless elementary/middle school teacher, and wouldn't you know it,

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Yeah the whole "Oh people don't like a character that would have murdered you if she hadn't developed a parasocial relationship while spying on you; repeatedly puts you through hazards that might have killed you regardless if anything went wrong just so she can pretend she's saving you... and of course let's not forget my favorite: performed some truly gruesome experiments on members of her own species until they became nightmarish aberrations." isn't important at all.

It's clearly just... *checks notes* "Goons upset because they see themselves in her."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She probably wouldn't have murdered Frisk. Like she seems a lot less down for murder than Undyne or Metatton.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the "I viciously hate this character because of self-defense" thing is real weird too imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I don't even dislike Alphys. I was shipping her and Undyne the whole way, and thought her dorky ramblings were endearing, especially during the silly date.

At the same time though, I can absolutely see why for many people, they can't overlook parts of her personality and/or her actions revealed in the True Laboratory.