Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The bank is shared which means much more convenient transfers but also waaaaay less storage space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tei posted:

I think I can put my finger on what make Borderlands 3 worse than Borderlands 2.

Both the drama and the humour are better landed in Borderlands 2. I remember getting really sad in Borderlands 2 and laughing. I don't need a strong memory, I replayed it a few weeks ago.

Borderlands 3 has completed the transformation from a drama to a humour serie. And the humour is not very good.

Not everyone want games for the narrative, so somebody could prefer Borderlands 3 over 2. Like some people like the star wars prequels more than star wars.

This is me. Plot / the characters are, by a wide margin, the least important aspects of a video game to me. All I care is if the gameplay is good.

And drat the skill trees are so much more fun in this game with all of the active options / active effects. I stayed up until 1:30 on Saturday playing; a game hasn't hooked me like that in years

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Amara has a hilarious power that speeds you up when you get hit; if somebody blasts me with a shotgun while I’m running towards them I suddenly rocket forwards and reach them even faster (and then punch them, with fire)

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I don't hate the plot in this game. It's not quite as good as 2, and the humor isn't great, but it's still better than half of the other big budget games I've played and isn't actively offensive, just kind of juvenile.

Katagawa Jr. is a good villain

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Re: Playing solo. Fl4k's pets are amazing at finding that last lone enemy stuck on geometry on the other side of the area, and/or cleaning up the last rakks or ratches or whatever. This pleases me greatly. ALSO, in the Jabber tree, you can have your pet revive you if you are close enough. This has saved me countless times when I'm downed and the enemies are hiding, or there are no enemies left.

Tei posted:

And the humour is not very good.

IMO the humor is great. The quest with the guy stuck in the porta-potty gave me my hardest laughs in a long while! The janitor-bot slurping enthusiastically when cleaning diarrhea almost killed me. There is truly a lack of good toilet-humor in most "adult" media and games these days, and Borderlands fills that fart-shaped gap in my heart.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 16, 2019

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

How effective is a grenade build for Zane solo? I'm finding Moze a little bland so far. Zane intrigues me with the skills that make your drone and clone drop grenades, with grenade regen on kills. I like the look of just constantly making GBS threads out explosions all day, and with a decent homing nuke grenade I think it'd be good fun and carnage all round.

Also, with the bl2:bl3 comparison, I have to say I'm enjoying this one much more than 2 if only for the fact that the projectile speed seems a lot higher, so guns actually seem to fire bullets and not ping pong balls like in 2.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The scaling in the game feels closer to BL1 just looking at the item cards.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

Re: Playing solo. Fl4k's pets are amazing at finding that last lone enemy stuck on geometry on the other side of the area, and/or cleaning up the last rakks or ratches or whatever. This pleases me greatly. ALSO, in the Jabber tree, you can have your pet revive you if you are close enough. This has saved me countless times when I'm downed and the enemies are hiding, or there are no enemies left.

IMO the humor is great. The quest with the guy stuck in the porta-potty gave me my hardest laughs in a long while! The janitor-bot slurping enthusiastically when cleaning diarrhea almost killed me. There is truly a lack of good toilet-humor in most "adult" media and games these days, and Borderlands fills that fart-shaped gap in my heart.

I actually did laugh out a bit when the janitor bot initiated lift off while trashmouth screams, and the quest reward ended up being a nuclear poo gun.

Actually that whole area was pretty good with the jokes. I got by Rick and Morty reference outta nowhere just walking down the street though but they also dropped my first legendary so I forgave it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I think I reached the end boss!

And I've been falling down from them for like two minutes. The subocean goes down a long rear end way.

This happened to me too. I hit the butt slam to speed up the falling process and maybe that sped it up? :shrug:

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Shakenbaker posted:

This happened to me too. I hit the butt slam to speed up the falling process and maybe that sped it up? :shrug:

Regarding geometry bug, anyone encountered one with Chadd the extreme and the cliff jump ?

Edit :
Chadd hit the ground largely before reaching it, and then stays hovering. So you have to reanimate him but can't reach him. I hit the same bug twice and leaved the quest as it were.

Picardy Beet fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 16, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Picardy Beet posted:

Regarding geometry bug, anyone encountered one with Chadd the extreme and the cliff jump ?

No but I'm curious to hear what happened

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I am enjoying this video game.

Seedge posted:

Any recommendations on a class for solo play? Probably not gonna be playing with anyone this week.

I'm enjoying Fl4k solo. I particularly like pocket rakks as a low-cool-down option for burst damage, kind of like having a couple of extra homing grenades that constantly regenerate, (which I prefer to more impactful abilities on a longer cooldown when solo). Not sure how well they scale though, so maybe transitioning to the stealth/crit ability if they suck later. In co-op I'm playing Zane partnered with Moze, which is a lot of fun as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They all seem pretty solo friendly as long as you avoid the obvious co-op only skills

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Any way to undo fast forward? After playing with some friends who were ahead of me, going back I don't recall seeing an option to fast forward or not, but it skipped me ahead in my solo game. On pc if that gives me more options...

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Gravy Jones posted:

I am enjoying this video game.

I'm enjoying Fl4k solo. I particularly like pocket rakks as a low-cool-down option for burst damage, kind of like having a couple of extra homing grenades that constantly regenerate, (which I prefer to more impactful abilities on a longer cooldown when solo). Not sure how well they scale though, so maybe transitioning to the stealth/crit ability if they suck later. In co-op I'm playing Zane partnered with Moze, which is a lot of fun as well.

I've seen so many people say the rakks suck but up to almost lvl 20, they were decent DPS and could heal. Then I found the cloak skill, a good shotty and 3 shot rocket launcher and welp, never really looked back.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got any favourite character moments from the PCs so far? I like how incredibly stoked Zane is about going on a rescue mission into a VR torture sim.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My favorite lines so far

"Just follow the clinical sound of my voice"

"You're assaulting my battery!"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else get thrown off by how samey some of the male NPCs voices are? A few of them sound like Chris Parnell and it's making me confuse them together.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Darth Walrus posted:

Got any favourite character moments from the PCs so far? I like how incredibly stoked Zane is about going on a rescue mission into a VR torture sim.

Zane's many, many lines for summoning the clone are all great.

"Somebody stop that man, he's dangerous!" "Get that incredibly attractive bastard!" and so on and so on

edit: I also like how all of the player characters sympathize with claptrap losing his antenna, but especially Fl4k.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone else get thrown off by how samey some of the male NPCs voices are? A few of them sound like Chris Parnell and it's making me confuse them together.

I was wondering for a while whether Killavolt was Bobcat Goldthwait.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

homullus posted:

My favorite lines so far

"Just follow the clinical sound of my voice"

"You're assaulting my battery!"

I got a chuckle out of a tape on Sanctuary for some of FL4K's history. The part where he says "I've brought your tea, Master, but we were out of milk so I had to replace it with greeble snot. Also, I have developed an insatiable thirst for murder."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I was so disappointed that the VR mission was just go to the place the last story mission took place but with an annoying filter over the screen

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
So i'm level 39ish with Fl4k, on the final planet of the game, and i have some words about this game, starting with the good:

The Good:

-The gunplay is the best in the series, no doubt. I like shooting things, enemies react well to all my weapons, and enemies haven't felt like bullet sponges except maybe at the very beginning.

- I have enjoyed every single gun i've used, and they all feel useful. Borderlands 2 has a serious problem with this where i never wanted to use certain weapons from specific manufacturers (like Jakobs AR's, Dahl Snipers, any bandit weapons not named Slagga) but having played around with a lot of weapons, all of them feel fun and good and effective. Atlas weapons are a little intensive to use maybe, but they're still fun and cool. They did an awesome job with the weapon balance.

- Drop rates are perfect imo. Maybe i've been lucky but i've gotten a healthy amount of Legendary drops (i had 4 legendary weapons equipped at one point, three of which were drops). And all the legendaries feel AWESOME. In particular, i had this Jakobs shotgun called the Hellwalker. It's literally the super shotgun from DOOM. Every time you fire it, a metal guitar riff plays. Mine reloaded super fast. It was one-shotting enemies 7 levels above it. It shot in a pentagram formation. I wanted to use it all the drat time. And it dropped from a Loot Tink, so i felt really cool and lucky using it! But all the legendaries i've used have been just as fun to use and discover what they do, like the Maliwan ASMD, which if you know your Unreal Tournament lore, you know exactly what it does just by reading that! Yes, you can shock combo with it! I could go on and on about all the cool legendaries there are in this game, and it's the best thing about the game imo.

- I've only played FL4K, but he's really fun and super good solo. I've stuck with Gamma Burst the entire game, augmented it to act as a healing rift as well as buffing damage, and i have yet to die on a boss fight, but i haven't felt so powerful that enemies aren't a threat. They walked a really fine line where i have to play well to not die, but i don't have to turtle and slowly chip away at enemies while i wait for my shields to regen.

Now for the bad:

- The Calypso twins are the worst villains in the entire series. I find myself muting the game when they're in a cutscene, i do not want to hear them talk, i hate 90% of their dialogue, who the gently caress wrote this poo poo.

- The story is super predictable, other than a couple of story beats. Then again, every Borderlands game has had a relatively predictable story so whatever, this isn't that big of a deal.

- I've seen people mention the maps, and yeah they're very large and sprawling and i'm not sure how i feel about them? I think if they each had one more fast travel point (especially the bigger hub areas) they'd feel easier to get around in.

- Performance is kinda spotty. I've only had one major slowdown (single digit framerate) and that was in a huge multiplayer boss fight, but i've had some areas get down to 30-40 FPS. On top of that, multiplayer has some bugs with reloading weapons where you'll be stuck in a reload animation until you switch weapons and switch back, but luckily your gun will be reloaded so it's not the biggest issue.

Overall i've had a great time (other than just coasting through the story) playing, and i'm excited to finish up and see what the post-campaign game looks like.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I’m not saying you’re wrong for disliking the calypsos or anything but saying they’re the worst villains in a series that had a villain whose only character trait was being a closeted gay man played for laughs is questionable

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel like as Moze (lev10) , I’m being forced down the bottomless mags tree. I run out of ammo every couple groups of trash enemies because everyone is a bullet sponge. It’s super annoying to have to constantly be searching for an ammo machine. I desperately need storage upgrades.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Amara has a hilarious power that speeds you up when you get hit; if somebody blasts me with a shotgun while I’m running towards them I suddenly rocket forwards and reach them even faster (and then punch them, with fire)

It also works with each tick of the elemental effects, so if you're on fire/melting/etc. you start running really fast for a noticeable time.
This makes me love pyros, since I both resist their damage and they make me run everywhere faster.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Jumpoff posted:

- I have enjoyed every single gun i've used, and they all feel useful. Borderlands 2 has a serious problem with this where i never wanted to use certain weapons from specific manufacturers (like Jakobs AR's, Dahl Snipers, any bandit weapons not named Slagga) but having played around with a lot of weapons, all of them feel fun and good and effective. Atlas weapons are a little intensive to use maybe, but they're still fun and cool. They did an awesome job with the weapon balance.

- The Calypso twins are the worst villains in the entire series. I find myself muting the game when they're in a cutscene, i do not want to hear them talk, i hate 90% of their dialogue, who the gently caress wrote this poo poo.

- I've seen people mention the maps, and yeah they're very large and sprawling and i'm not sure how i feel about them? I think if they each had one more fast travel point (especially the bigger hub areas) they'd feel easier to get around in.

As a Bottomless Mag's Moze, I find myself basically only using autopistols and SMGs because the Ammo Regeneration talents are percent based, so running around with low bullet count weapons doesn't feel very good; I'm still reloading all the time. On the other hand, my 70 round SMG regenerates 7 bullets every time I crit.

EDIT: Oh and only Maliwan, because one of the talents gives you a bonus based on the number of items by a specific manufacturer. I suspect this talent might be worse than the one that just gives you a chance to not consume ammo, but I'm not sure.

Agreed that twitch streamers for bad guys is a dumb gimmick, and they are really obnoxious. However I like the little 1950's style cartoons of Lilith and Maya getting dunked that play on the TVs randomly throughout the game.

The maps... Being huge seems pointless when none of the quests send you out to explore them? Are there "hidden" side quests? It seems like there's always a ! on my map indicating where to go for a side quest, so I yea I don't bother to explore at all. I wouldn't mind these sprawling maps, but the mini map sucks at displaying height differences / what "level" you're on. More fast travel points, or better yet cars that don't suck to drive would be nice though.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 16, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Sab669 posted:

The maps... Being huge seems pointless when none of the quests send you out to explore them? Are there "hidden" side quests? It seems like there's always a ! on my map indicating where to go for a side quest, so I yea I don't bother to explore at all. I wouldn't mind these sprawling maps, but the mini map sucks at displaying height differences / what "level" you're on. More fast travel points, or better yet cars that don't suck to drive would be nice though.

I suspect many places are empty until you get a "kill Foe Two Fingers" quests... that may be procedurally generated. Others are for secondary quest, of course.

This... don't entice me to explore.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I expected to hate the Callipso's, and I haven't been finding them that bad. They're annoying, sure, but that just makes me want to kill them.
I have a low resistance to cringe, and I haven't been suffering so far. Maybe I'm good at not letting borderlands cringe annoy me or something.

Also. Hammerlock :3

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you’re short on ammo or backpack capacity do a Proving Grounds match. I went from 20k to 750k in a single one.

Speaking of, they’re pretty good but fuuuuuuck the waves of rakks forever. Last wave took 30+ minutes because of the badass rakks.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Roblo posted:

I expected to hate the Callipso's, and I haven't been finding them that bad. They're annoying, sure, but that just makes me want to kill them.
I have a low resistance to cringe, and I haven't been suffering so far. Maybe I'm good at not letting borderlands cringe annoy me or something.

Also. Hammerlock :3

I liked the novelty of a villain that depends on having his army entertained.

The Callipso would make sure your death is remembered.. for the wrong reasons, but they will still do it. Is kind of a curse that hide a blessing inside with another curse inside the blessing.

Has for Cringeotopias, ... theres a quest where we fight to help Pandora gamers get better ping. I would not spoil the end.

Edit
One one dialog of the game, the corporations are angry they did not had the idea of making the bandits into a army themselves. The Callipso are all like "give me the poor and the unhappy of the world"

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 16, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bodderlands hokey meme culture stuff is fine as long as it’s not problematic and I’d much rather have some tongue in cheek narrative style than the grim dark serious poo poo like Destiny that’s equally bad to much worse while lacking the fun centric writing and quest design. Borderlands tries to make everything fun, sometimes fails, but at least the attempt was made.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Isn't being some kind of obnoxious dick over the radio at almost all times just about the norm for most of the borderlands villains? Like Knox was more bored and morose then anything I guess but I feel like the Calypso's are about what I expected outside the streamer thing. Not really feeling the charisma they'd need to control ALL the bandits or sell their We are Family sthick but then the appeal of streamers has always eluded me and bandits are super loving dumb so whatever I guess. I did think Katagawa was pretty weak with an underdeveloped reason for being such a Rhys stan.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh man I just got a Legendary Class Mod for Moze that makes it so that Auto Bear lasts for the full duration of the fuel left if you exit it early. This means I'm now just popping into Iron Bear when my shields get low, taking a couple shots while my shield regens, then popping out with a really long lasting turret buddy. I need to test to see if Auto Bear allows you to mount the turret you can put on Iron Bear from the Green tree...

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
Spoiler stuff:

Based on this trailer done in BL2 (as an homage to The Maxx) that reveals Krieg https://youtu.be/Dvx-4K4FLzw, I've been waffling between two options.

1) Someone tell Krieg what happens to Maya. And then watch the whole star system become a flaming meat bicycle while the twins get buzzaxed aboard the poop train.

2) No one should ever tell Krieg and spare millions from immolation.

Corzen fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 16, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I like watching the Calypso twins switch their public personas off. It's most obvious with Troy but Tyreen does it to.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh man I just got a Legendary Class Mod for Moze that makes it so that Auto Bear lasts for the full duration of the fuel left if you exit it early. This means I'm now just popping into Iron Bear when my shields get low, taking a couple shots while my shield regens, then popping out with a really long lasting turret buddy. I need to test to see if Auto Bear allows you to mount the turret you can put on Iron Bear from the Green tree...

It does, there's a loading screen tip about it. But the turret is not fun to use, imo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I need to test to see if Auto Bear allows you to mount the turret you can put on Iron Bear from the Green tree...

Haha OK this sounds awesome. Please let me know if it does.

Also I'm not sure how it works but if you exit IB before it runs out of fuel, it seems to reduce the cooldown? I think if you leave at 75/50/25% fuel it cuts the timer a little bit? Need to science more but :effort: So I don't think I'd want an Auto Bear that lasts for the rest of the fuel duration?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a live streamer I feel personally attacked by the existence of the calypso twins and I cannot wait to shoot them many times in the face. It's like a dark mirror is being held up to me every time either one of them says anything, it's awesome and I love it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sab669 posted:

Haha OK this sounds awesome. Please let me know if it does.

Also I'm not sure how it works but if you exit IB before it runs out of fuel, it seems to reduce the cooldown? I think if you leave at 75/50/25% fuel it cuts the timer a little bit? Need to science more but :effort: So I don't think I'd want an Auto Bear that lasts for the rest of the fuel duration?

Yeah, the class mod specifically disables that feature in exchange for Auto Bear lasting as long as possible. It seems good for stuff like Circle of Slaughter. You still begin the cooldown once you leave the mech even though it's still hanging around shooting at things though, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I feel like as Moze (lev10) , I’m being forced down the bottomless mags tree. I run out of ammo every couple groups of trash enemies because everyone is a bullet sponge. It’s super annoying to have to constantly be searching for an ammo machine. I desperately need storage upgrades.

I'm level twenty-something playing an artillery Moze, and that's a really fun tree. Yes , the ammo limitation is frustrating at the begining, and yes buying ammo space correct this once you spent to the 9k upgrades. Keep your money for this. Then you're a death delivery machine, grenading and guided missile-ing every few minutes, and able to solo every boss until at least Genevieve- - so even Billy is doable.