Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Rex-Goliath posted:

why the gently caress are they even bothering with this defense when he clearly doubled and then tripled down months after the fact?

Yeah I have no idea how you can make this argument when he told a reporter "No I literally mean he is a pedophile and tried to marry a child bride."

Nobody at the time thought he was throwing out a generic insult; everyone thought he was making a specific claim. The bazingas as the time were speculating that Musk had inside information. The whole "He was just punching back with an insult and not making a claim" was a retcon that came after the lawsuit started.

ryde fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

why the gently caress are they even bothering with this defense when he clearly doubled and then tripled down months after the fact?

to drag it out until the legal fees mean that settling for $$ makes more sense than getting a judgement in england for $$$$$

(soon to be $ if bojo gets his way with no deal)

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
As an aside, I find it really interesting how quickly the bazingas canned response to the pedo claim changed. I typically don't like to make astroturfing claims but this field doesn't smell much like grass.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ryde posted:

Yeah I have no idea how you can make this argument when he told a reporter "No I literally mean he is a pedophile and tried to marry a child bride."

Nobody at the time thought he was throwing out a generic insult; everyone thought he was making a specific claim. The bazingas as the time were speculating that Musk had inside information. The whole "He was just punching back with an insult and not making a claim" was a retcon that came after the lawsuit started.

he even went back on that retcon when people asked him about it lmao

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's because musk is a dingus who genuinely believes that he can get out of any problem because he has a big genius brain. his lawyers are probably telling him behind closed doors to stop being so stupid, but he keeps on truckin' because it is completely against his constitution to ever admit he is wrong about anything

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rex-Goliath posted:

"I have a black friend" works, so...

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Reminder that he wanted to walk away from a sweetheart SEC deal because he was a huge loving narcissist who didn't want to admit he did something wrong.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ryde posted:

musk also claimed/implied that he had inside information, to the press no less.

and of course his fan club was all "well, there's no way he'd do something like that unless he knew for sure, he's not stupid"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ron howard voice: elon musk is very stupid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ryde posted:

Reminder that he wanted to walk away from a sweetheart SEC deal because he was a huge loving narcissist who didn't want to admit he did something wrong.

reminder that he then broke that agreement, went to court and told the judge he doesn't respect the SEC, and the judge turned to them and said "he's right not to respect you" and wootled out of the courtroom

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rex-Goliath posted:

because an attorney cant give up unless their client lets them, elon doesnt want to admit be lost his temper and made a mistake

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duz posted:

because an attorney cant give up unless their client lets them, elon doesnt want to admit be lost his temper and made a mistake

plus I mean if you were his attorney you're looking at years, maybe decades of upcoming billable hours so you'd want to gladhand him

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

musk also claimed/implied that he had inside information, to the press no less.

and of course his fan club was all "well, there's no way he'd do something like that unless he knew for sure, he's not stupid"

it’s like the Qanon crowd

no brain today left unbroke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the best part was when he directly emailed a reporter, repeated his explicit claim about unsworth, and then when asked for proof of any kind told them to do their own investigation

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rex-Goliath posted:

because his lawyers won't get paid if they don't put on some sort of defense and their client is an idiot who won't let them quietly settle it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

evilweasel posted:

because his lawyers won't get paid if they don't put on some sort of defense and their client is an idiot who won't let them quietly settle it

i was under the impression you could get in trouble for doing this but i imagine the judge will just give a 'wtf' look at the lawyers and the lawyers will shrug and that'll be the end of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lawyers are required to give good faith recommendations but dumb clients aren't required to follow their advice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you have already fired two rounds into your own feet, reloaded and fired again, there is nothing i can do that will improve this situation

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
full declaration is here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6413257/Declaration-Motion-related.pdf

just in the second sentence there's a lie cuz he didn't found tesla right? he came in and elbowed out that original guy i thought?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
"it's a common expression in south africa, people used to shout it at my dad all the time"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

full declaration is here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6413257/Declaration-Motion-related.pdf

just in the second sentence there's a lie cuz he didn't found tesla right? he came in and elbowed out that original guy i thought?

he literally sued for the right to be called the founder.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rex-Goliath posted:

i was under the impression you could get in trouble for doing this but i imagine the judge will just give a 'wtf' look at the lawyers and the lawyers will shrug and that'll be the end of it

you're allowed to put out an argument with a non-zero chance of success as long as you've got a good faith basis to believe the chance of success is not actually zero

if you make enough 2% chance of success arguments, poo poo comes up your way every once in a while. Quinn's reputation as litigators is they'll contest literally everything on that theory (and so they're actually a very good hire if you plan on being completely unreasonable, they're the perfect firm for that sort of thing where you're swinging for the fences)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 16, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

love to start my defamation defense by going "yeah i googled the guy and location and figured proximity is enough", and then double-down by going "yeah i got private investigators involved later, and they insist i'm fine" yet lack any exhibits from said investigators
e: let's play how many layers of hearsay:

quote:

For instance, before August 28, 2018, Mr. Birchall informed me that the investigator reported that Mr. Unsworth met and began a relationship with his alleged Thai wife when she around twelve years old.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 16, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

he holds the title of founder, but is not a "founder". it's part of his title, he was declared to be a "founder" but he was not, in fact, a founder of the company

technically the word should have been capitalized but that's about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the declaration is fine, it's just musk's many stupid, stupid, stupid decisions that put his lawyers in a bad spot

they look to be threading the needle as best they can be given what a moron their client was in writing. need to see the actual motion that goes with it to see exactly how well they do though, the declaration isn't the important point.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also for those who are unaware, Elon did not write a single sentence of that declaration. the lawyers wrote it and told him to sign it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
let’s see ol musky wriggle out of this mess!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i don't see the advantage to his case by admitting to defaming the guy being a pedo before getting any private investigators involved. even if it were accurate according to them, he's admitted not having the facts at the point of defamation and based it off of googling the guy and location and tying them together. the case is dead before it hits his alleged evidence created after the issue was made. this is ignoring all of the repeated statements missing in that statement and only going by his word

although all of that was public before so i'm guessing you're going with "may as well admit we've got nothing and hope the other party runs out of money by pointing out every issue"

evilweasel posted:

also for those who are unaware, Elon did not write a single sentence of that declaration. the lawyers wrote it and told him to sign it.
but who wrote it is irrelevant after the statement got signed off, he's accepted the words as his own. embrace the comedy this filing is rather than leaning on mitigating the unmitigable
e: agreed that the declaration is a minor point but i've not seen the rest of the filings and want to sink my teeth into them now

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i really want to see the deposition video. something tells me he wouldn't do well being instructed and directed by a lawyer and not being able to do anything about it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
lmao at how careful he is to note that hearsay reached him before he authored those emails

definitely “before August 28”

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

he isn't a founder of paypal either. for both companies, he insisted that the contract that brought him on board have a part that says like "from this day forward the company and all the founders are required to call me a founder too, forever and ever, amen"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
founder:

(intransitive) Of a ship, to fill with water and sink.
(intransitive) To fall; to stumble and go lame, as a horse.
(intransitive) To fail; to miscarry.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
As much as this seems a slam-dunk case for Unsworth, Musk is also a rich American and so I'm not hopeful that the US justice system will do the right thing. I'm hoping he doesn't manage to wriggle out of this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ryde posted:

As much as this seems a slam-dunk case for Unsworth, Musk is also a rich American and so I'm not hopeful that the US justice system will do the right thing. I'm hoping he doesn't manage to wriggle out of this.

american law is, deliberately, not very favorable to slander/libel claims but this seems like it might get over the hump

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

let’s see ol musky wriggle out of this mess!

ah, well, nevertheless

evilweasel posted:

american law is, deliberately, not very favorable to slander/libel claims but this seems like it might get over the hump

i would certainly be :allears: to read the judgement in favour of musk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Isn't he being sued in the uk

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
us first, then if you clear that higher bar you get to go ham with the more permissive uk rules. elon, "this guys fucks children. i'm not saying this as a twitter hot take i've done research and for sure he actually does this and it's imperative that i elon musk be the one to spread the word' musk is in some trouble now!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1173713813859971073

lol he spent $50k (at least) digging for some dirt to prove cave guy was a paedo

e: the story is now that the "investigator" they hired was a scam artist who took them for a ride

https://twitter.com/jordan_mcrae_/status/1173743566226624513

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 17, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

Isn't he being sued in the uk

us courts will not enforce a UK libel/slander judgment because their standards for what's libel/slander are so ludicrously low, and musk's assets are in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
or rather, they'll only enforce a judgement if you can prove it would still be defamation by the standards of a us court

the easy way to do that is to win even just a nominal amount in the us for the same behaviour