Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I hope we get a flashback to the Bojack stuff at some point and it’s just five-ten seconds of over-the-top pirate impressions, and then it’s never mentioned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

The trucker hat thing goes on a little to long tho

Yeah, it was better served as that one off joke in the TFS episode 17 references it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm like 50 episodes into Super, do they ever do an arc that lasts over 15 episodes? The Beerus, Freiza, and Tournament arcs were fun, but this mini-arc format they're doing is wearing kinda thin. I'm gonna be a annoyed if this Trunks and Goku Black stuff is wrapped up before like, episode 70 and they're on to something new

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Future Saga and Universe Survival is basically it and universe survival is almost half of the show

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
To be fair you can skip a lot of the tournament.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Captain Baal posted:

Future Saga and Universe Survival is basically it and universe survival is almost half of the show

Alright. Kinda bummed that the future stuff is gonna be dealt with quickly but I am glad to know there's at least one good long arc in this thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Universe Survival is insanely slow and is only good at random points until you hit the last 13 or so episodes when it is actually consistently good. Future Saga is only like 20 something episodes, but it's actually not horribly paced and gets everything it needs in the time it has and the only reason it isn't the outright best part of the show is because it trips over the finish line insanely hard unlike Universe Survival which actually has an incredible finale even if the prior 40 or so episodes to the ones I mentioned loving suck or are good randomly and take forever to actually do anything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also Goku Black is amazing and beautiful while Jiren

Jiren is grey.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Universe Survival Arc really overdrew from the well of anti-climax humor. Like, yes, Oolong wishing on the dragon for panties was hilarious back in the day, but a solid loving chunk of the interesting-looking challengers and even main cast members were eliminated from the tournament via wacky anti-climaxes and it got old fast.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain Baal posted:

Future Saga is only like 20 something episodes, but it's actually not horribly paced and gets everything it needs in the time it has and the only reason it isn't the outright best part of the show is because it trips over the finish line insanely hard

But it has a great ending!

...The main issue is that it continues afterwards and then ends in a far worse way for some unexplainable reason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

The Universe Survival Arc really overdrew from the well of anti-climax humor. Like, yes, Oolong wishing on the dragon for panties was hilarious back in the day, but a solid loving chunk of the interesting-looking challengers and even main cast members were eliminated from the tournament via wacky anti-climaxes and it got old fast.

A wacky climax is better than Tien

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

top just didn't do anything with like 90% of the fighters and most of them went out easily to u7. jiren was literally the only source of tension and he actively refused to ring people out multiple times when he easily could have. u7 was in control the whole time and even outnumbed jiren for the entire final fight

jiren was a very stupid and bad villain with 2 really cool and well animated fights. but hey, cool and well animated fights are a big part of why anyone watches dragon ball in the first place so he's not all bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

You got hosed both ways so idk what you're compromising with here

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
TOP really dropped the ball because the hype was all these other universes being more stronger and it's nope U7 is handling them pretty well.

That and the whole stamina thing felt so off.

I lost count how many times Goku was able to go SSJ.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Baal posted:

You got hosed both ways so idk what you're compromising with here

Some of the wacky stuff made me chuckle. Not all of it, but some.

Tien was just cosplaying as Yamcha.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pureauthor posted:

Jiren is grey.

He's more of a light purple.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

go suck your own rear end with these lukewarm contrarian takes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What? The ToP anti-climaxes are not "wacky". They were not trying to be jokey with how Tien or Piccolo or whoever goes down. There can be humor found in a metasense of how those characters were treated but they were absolutely 100% supposed to be "serious" in the context of the tournament.

They're not jokes they're just bad.

If you want to see an actual intentionally funny anti-climax look at Dr. Rota and his mysterious special ability.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 17, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Stairmaster posted:

go suck your own rear end with these lukewarm contrarian takes

I will but Tien sucks and I will never stop saying it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone ever steal the four-arms technique or the dodonpa?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Wark Say posted:

To be fair, I could see C kinda working?

C could work. Have Bojack internally monologuing about wondering what he's doing with his life while being surrounded by actual pirate caricatures. But that's just one character's comedy bit. There's still a lot of movie you'd meed to salvage alongside that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Just play the tourney straight

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Manatee Cannon posted:

top just didn't do anything with like 90% of the fighters and most of them went out easily to u7. jiren was literally the only source of tension and he actively refused to ring people out multiple times when he easily could have. u7 was in control the whole time and even outnumbed jiren for the entire final fight

jiren was a very stupid and bad villain with 2 really cool and well animated fights. but hey, cool and well animated fights are a big part of why anyone watches dragon ball in the first place so he's not all bad

goku shouldnt have returned in 110. have him vanish, have gohan, piccolo and android 17 step it up, and then he can come back at ep like 130 with UI and save the day or just keep him gone ffs. make it seem like goku and vegeta could trivially crush everyone else, even have them act willing to fuse, and then remove goku and add actual tension

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

drat, in that case they should let Tien do them once an arc. Let him fight Oolong or something, who gives a poo poo.

EDIT: I forgot, he did four-arms against Roshi before the tournament of power and was knocked out within two seconds.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i think it's a big mistake for the tfs crew to not continue with the buu saga. it's one of the dumbest storylines in the series and arguably the most ripe to riff on after the androids/cell*. i mean, if they don't do any more dragonball related stuff, what do they have left?

*i feel they didn't do enough to point out how stupid it was that a bunch of robots somehow became more powerful than a planetbuster like freezer

Blockhouse posted:

The thing is "Bojack is bad so we can't do it" doesn't really play in the face of them doing the Metal Cooler and Android 13 movies, the former being easily the worst DBZ movie and the latter being even more "90 minutes of pointless fight scenes" than Bojack

quote:

the former being easily the worst DBZ movie

remember how in movie 10, some supergenius came up with the idea of having videl go up against broly and somehow didn't wind up getting vaporized within 6 nanoseconds? and how broly grabbed videl by her legs and only wound up being able to throw her 12 ft away instead of say, alpha centauri?

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Bojack movie is good for one reason alone. It gave us the hottest Trunks.

My XV2 character wears that top because it's great, but it's even better on the original owner.

legit surprised someone else mentioned this :hfive:
'

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s a good movie and it’s got some of the better effects they added. Which is very hit or miss.

The trucker hat thing goes on a little to long tho

"good day, yer majesty. i'd tip my hat to ya, but i lost it!"

the line itself is probably not that great, but the delivery is beautiful

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I genuinely feel at this point TFS is probably burned out. They passed the bit of the show they like and their process adds to burnout because they have a loving writers room that takes a year to produce a script. They overproduce to hell.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

But it has a great ending!

...The main issue is that it continues afterwards and then ends in a far worse way for some unexplainable reason.

The ending works if it's treated as a build up to the Universe Survival arc. It just seems pointless since the writers seriously downplayed the stakes during the tournament. Other than the guy Gohan fought, hardly anyone acts like they're fighting for the survival of their universe.

Verviticus posted:

goku shouldnt have returned in 110. have him vanish, have gohan, piccolo and android 17 step it up, and then he can come back at ep like 130 with UI and save the day or just keep him gone ffs. make it seem like goku and vegeta could trivially crush everyone else, even have them act willing to fuse, and then remove goku and add actual tension

There's a couple ways I think they could have removed Goku to add tension to the tournament. First is have everyone be told Goku's the one who instigated the entire thing, and have them gang up and ring him out within the first minute of the tournament. That way Goku sits out the entire tournament while he providing commentary on how his friends are doing.

The other is for the Saiyan Lesbians to show the power of their love by having Kefla defeat Goku.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
those might work, but i feel the part where he gets exploded by his own attack is a pretty good opportunity to remove him too. hell, have the dramatic build up and everything, making it really obvious that hes gonna come back, and then just have gohan go nuts in his place

look all i want is gohan to be as cool as possible is that too much to ask (yes)

Namtab posted:

I genuinely feel at this point TFS is probably burned out. They passed the bit of the show they like and their process adds to burnout because they have a loving writers room that takes a year to produce a script. They overproduce to hell.

it produces obviously better results though. DBZA basically gets consistently better looking, sounding and funnier episode to episode starting at like 14 and ending at 60.3. its hard to even recommend anything before namek to people because its extremely 2009

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Verviticus posted:

it produces obviously better results though. DBZA basically gets consistently better looking, sounding and funnier episode to episode starting at like 14 and ending at 60.3. its hard to even recommend anything before namek to people because its extremely 2009

I was not thrilled to see "freaky alien genotype" make a comeback in the kai abridged video.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's Dragon Ball, they're definitely not going to shift the focus away from Goku for too long.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Interweb posted:

remember how in movie 10, some supergenius came up with the idea of having videl go up against broly and somehow didn't wind up getting vaporized within 6 nanoseconds? and how broly grabbed videl by her legs and only wound up being able to throw her 12 ft away instead of say, alpha centauri?

But Videl is cool and Broly was lame. So I'm fine with that.

Honestly, the Broly sequels treating him as just a big monster is better than the first Broly movie treating him like a big monster and also the strongest Saiyan ever, you guys, he's so powerful, nobody can beat him, even Goku needs everyone's power all together to hit his off button because he's so strong.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's Dragon Ball, they're definitely not going to shift the focus away from Goku for too long.

No, but they should, it'd be fun to not have him around for once. Sadly, apparently that really hurts the ratings, Japan just loves Goku.

Gripweed posted:

Honestly, the Broly sequels treating him as just a big monster is better than the first Broly movie treating him like a big monster and also the strongest Saiyan ever, you guys, he's so powerful, nobody can beat him, even Goku needs everyone's power all together to hit his off button because he's so strong.

But...that still happens in the second movie. Hell, it happens in the canon movie. Bio-Broly is the only one where it doesn't happen and even there it's because that is a bad clone of Broly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blaze Dragon posted:

But...that still happens in the second movie. Hell, it happens in the canon movie. Bio-Broly is the only one where it doesn't happen and even there it's because that is a bad clone of Broly.

They beat Broly in the second movie by working together to go really hard at him, they don't do a proto-Super Saiyan God ceremony to give Goku enough power to hit his weak spot for massive damage

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gripweed posted:

But Videl is cool and Broly was lame. So I'm fine with that.

Videl losing her confident, fight-loving tomboy nature was the greatest crime.

And this time the Great Saiyaman isn't going to bring justice :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gripweed posted:

They beat Broly in the second movie by working together to go really hard at him, they don't do a proto-Super Saiyan God ceremony to give Goku enough power to hit his weak spot for massive damage

I mean that's still working together tbf just in a more abstract way than throwing beams at an advancing green ball to blast him into the sun

Mind you the family Kamehameha is easily the coolest part of Broly 2

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The family Kamehameha is one of the better movie endings period. Granted it’s just a reskin of the actual series but most movies tend to be do you remember this!?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Saiyans love strong, independent women and then just tying them to a stove in a gingham skirt for the rest of their lives.

Bulma got away from it because she's rich enough to tie other people to the stoves instead.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Fuego Fish posted:

Videl losing her confident, fight-loving tomboy nature was the greatest crime.

And this time the Great Saiyaman isn't going to bring justice :smith:

I dunno, I'm a guy and if I got Yamcha'd as hard as she did during the spopovitch fight I'd probably quit fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The family Kamehameha is one of the better movie endings period. Granted it’s just a reskin of the actual series but most movies tend to be do you remember this!?

Yeah and all of those are bad