Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Fuckin' yikes

Lol glad I still pop in here now and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Super Foul Egg posted:

I don't know if the pissbaby ratio is drastically different between regions (I'm Euro) but I see so little deliberate griefing post-patch that half the time I don't even remember to switch modes any more.

Having actual tasks beyond red dot genocide has done wonders for distracting the sadbrains. I expect it'll be back to pre-patch levels once they burn up the new content though.

It calmed down for a few days, but I'm seeing a steady increase in red blips. Last night a buddy and I were looting a camp when a train full of red posse folks took shots at us. They promptly hosed off when they got hit with an explosive bolt action rifle round but they were nowhere near us, just stopped to try and kill us. Earlier today someone yanked me off my horse and tied me up just because.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have no reason to expect this to happen based on how gtao turned out but I hope they add a private lobby mode where you can just do the frontier pursuits (or whatever else they add later) on your own or with just friends. The game comes so close to scratching a chill “hunt, fish, and make number go up” itch but putting you in the same lobby with murderers with no real “hey I dont want to be murdered by anyone” button kind of kills it for me

I know there’s parley but you have to be murdered first, and it only works on a murderer-by-murderer basis

Basically, yeah. Give me that, punch up bounty hunting some so it works reliably and doesn't have as many "ok go from one side of the map to the other" missions, remove the timer, perfect game.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Oh Snapple! posted:

:allears:

4chan is thataway.

Bullets to the brain are straight ahead Ladyboy. Since when did SOMETHINGAWFUL turn into a land of SJWs whining about MUH WIMMEN and poo poo like a bunch of faggots. Tip your fedora to wahmen all you want gaybo she'll never give you the pussy.

gently caress this poo poo, mods ban me if you want, I'm never coming back to this shithole. I don't want to be contaminated by the gay.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
According the the reddit bugs/known issues thread the bounty hunter thing is a display bug, you should still be getting xp.

quote:

Bounty Hunter XP issue
Players aren't earning XP in some roles after completing missions, predominately Bounty Hunters.

Bounty Hunters aren't being paid properly.

/u/OldManSeven received this response from Rockstar about the issue:

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support. We are aware of the issue where Experience Points do not appear on screen however, they are correctly being added to the characters. We are currently working to fix this issue. In case further information is required, we will contact you. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us. Best regards, Rebecca k. Rockstar Support

Also, I stumbled across a legendary bounty in Armadillo (or was it Tumbleweed?) The bounty had a cutscene intro and everything. No timer on the mission so I was able to snipe all of her lackeys in peace. There was a lives limit of 2, however.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Bullets to the brain are straight ahead Ladyboy. Since when did SOMETHINGAWFUL turn into a land of SJWs whining about MUH WIMMEN and poo poo like a bunch of faggots. Tip your fedora to wahmen all you want gaybo she'll never give you the pussy.

gently caress this poo poo, mods ban me if you want, I'm never coming back to this shithole. I don't want to be contaminated by the gay.

Holy poo poo

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Look at all the PC babies white knighting the cart oval office :lol:

Super Foul Egg posted:

I don't know if the pissbaby ratio is drastically different between regions (I'm Euro) but I see so little deliberate griefing post-patch that half the time I don't even remember to switch modes any more.

Having actual tasks beyond red dot genocide has done wonders for distracting the sadbrains. I expect it'll be back to pre-patch levels once they burn up the new content though.

I just bought a horse I dyed orange and named it Donald Trump. Lets see how this goes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Reign Of Pain posted:

Look at all the PC babies white knighting the cart oval office :lol:

What is it drawing you things out today

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Legendary bounties are a new weekly rotating thing, they'll take up a slot on most bounty boards until you run them and they can be run multiple times increasingly in difficulty each time. They're pretty cool!

First one is sorta kinda stealthable, albeit with that Uncharted type stealth where any gently caress up at all aggros the entire map, and the by the time you hit 4-5 stars it's a genuine challenge solo.

Also not saying I called the surprisingly retro account suicide above but I definitely did!!

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Oh Snapple! posted:

What is it drawing you things out today

I've been posting in this thread since the game was released. Did you report me because I called the video game lady a oval office? :rolleyes:

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Reign Of Pain posted:

I just bought a horse I dyed orange and named it Donald Trump. Lets see how this goes.

Absolutely top bants and all but you can still get in the the extremely online bounty wagon and gently caress off to idiot jail like the other guy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Reign Of Pain posted:

I've been posting in this thread since the game was released. Did you report me because I called the video game lady a oval office? :rolleyes:

He means your sudden need for attention by acting like a cspam mod.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Super Foul Egg posted:

Absolutely top bants and all but you can still get in the the extremely online bounty wagon and gently caress off to idiot jail like the other guy.

For what? Because I called the video game lady a oval office? I bet you're all red faced and furiously mashing the report button over and over again because SA is where everyone is always supposed to be on their best behavior and not use bad words or gently caress around at all because you got old and sensitive stfu

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

He means your sudden need for attention by acting like a cspam mod.

He'd have already been smacked in cspam, though :confused:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Diephoon posted:

According the the reddit bugs/known issues thread the bounty hunter thing is a display bug, you should still be getting xp.

Also, I stumbled across a legendary bounty in Armadillo (or was it Tumbleweed?) The bounty had a cutscene intro and everything. No timer on the mission so I was able to snipe all of her lackeys in peace. There was a lives limit of 2, however.

I've been keeping a note of my bounty hunter XP and nah, it's bugged. The XP doesn't go up if the mission glitches :(

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
Are there any in-game hints or ways to determine where Madam Nazar is or will go besides just wandering the map at random and listening for a mournful gramophone?

I don't mind checking this thread or Reddit for the daily location, but sometimes I like a little extra immersion.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Basically, yeah. Give me that, punch up bounty hunting some so it works reliably and doesn't have as many "ok go from one side of the map to the other" missions, remove the timer, perfect game.

Yeah I really dig the whole "tool around in a beautiful open world and build up an empire/business" thing that this and GTAO have going on; I just wish that you could play that without having to deal with certain kinds of players, and I can't think of any examples off the top of my head right now, inflicting their idea of fun on you

I know that people figured out how to glitch public lobbies in GTA, maybe they'll figure it out here too. If not, there's always single player

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have no reason to expect this to happen based on how gtao turned out but I hope they add a private lobby mode where you can just do the frontier pursuits (or whatever else they add later) on your own or with just friends. The game comes so close to scratching a chill “hunt, fish, and make number go up” itch but putting you in the same lobby with murderers with no real “hey I dont want to be murdered by anyone” button kind of kills it for me

I know there’s parley but you have to be murdered first, and it only works on a murderer-by-murderer basis

You want to look less at GTAO and more at the first game's online to see what they're going for here. It struck a good balance of toning down the deathmatch aspect of free roam without completely removing it. I'd personally find PVP disabled at the system level a bit hollow, as without a threat of any kind it'd become a neutered themepark version of what currently exists.

I like that Defensive (minus bugs) is a strong but not invincible counter to attacks, and gives you the radar advantage to scope out areas and assess risks before committing to a course of action. If you see a posse of red dots at a chosen destination and just wade in anyway because I AM PROTECTED, you get what you get. On the other hand, careful planning around that feels much more rewarding if you pull it off. If you can't outgun an idiot aimbot give outsmarting them a try instead, it's a good feel.

Reign Of Pain posted:

For what? Because I called the video game lady a oval office? I bet you're all red faced and furiously mashing the report button over and over again because SA is where everyone is always supposed to be on their best behavior and not use bad words or gently caress around at all because you got old and sensitive stfu

SA is a haven for degenerate behaviour and bad words of all kinds! Just not the once-ubiquitous ones used by irony poisoned boys who end up deflecting their own sadnesses into genuinely lovely real world consequences. To that end, don't be surprised if Gamergate larping leads to abrupt rejection.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I really dig the whole "tool around in a beautiful open world and build up an empire/business" thing that this and GTAO have going on; I just wish that you could play that without having to deal with certain kinds of players, and I can't think of any examples off the top of my head right now, inflicting their idea of fun on you

I know that people figured out how to glitch public lobbies in GTA, maybe they'll figure it out here too. If not, there's always single player

Work with what's there instead of what could be there and you can honestly have that experience as it stands, I've played almost exclusively non-PVP for 110 levels and outside of my own hubris getting me into a couple of pointless attritional pride-fights with random idiots, avoiding the death hubs (Valentine, Blackwater, occasionally Tumbleweed) and keeping your nose clean in defensive will keep you out of trouble 99% of the time. For the remaining 1%, there's a 50% chance they'll just wave at you and move on. For the last 0.5%, that's where you use those explosive shotgun shells Rockstar gave you.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I used the free character appearance change to make my guy a Native American and the game is 100% more satisfying now. ive gotten so much manitou killing all these foreign interlopers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Super Foul Egg posted:

Work with what's there instead of what could be there and you can honestly have that experience as it stands, I've played almost exclusively non-PVP for 110 levels and outside of my own hubris getting me into a couple of pointless attritional pride-fights with random idiots, avoiding the death hubs (Valentine, Blackwater, occasionally Tumbleweed) and keeping your nose clean in defensive will keep you out of trouble 99% of the time. For the remaining 1%, there's a 50% chance they'll just wave at you and move on. For the last 0.5%, that's where you use those explosive shotgun shells Rockstar gave you.

Yeah I only really spent the hour or so playing and apart from that one noticeably bad experience (which did happen on a road in the middle of nowhere) nobody really hassled me much; could be overblown, I'll jump back in a little more once they get the bounty hunter bugs sorted out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Super Foul Egg posted:

Legendary bounties are a new weekly rotating thing, they'll take up a slot on most bounty boards until you run them and they can be run multiple times increasingly in difficulty each time. They're pretty cool!

First one is sorta kinda stealthable, albeit with that Uncharted type stealth where any gently caress up at all aggros the entire map, and the by the time you hit 4-5 stars it's a genuine challenge solo.

Also not saying I called the surprisingly retro account suicide above but I definitely did!!

3 star is pretty tough. It's when enemies start getting bolt-action rifles and start sniping you across the map for 65% of your outer circle.

Also here's what Rockstar has to say about the streak bonus stuff (mine got erased and doesn't seem to register):

quote:

A Rockstar Expert from Directly has an answer for your question "Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4 - Online Play".

Click this link to view their answer and continue the conversation: https://rockstar-games.directly.com/p/2ad3f88f-aa4b-4b1c-bfb6-36f9910eade0?et=2c9982fa6d3839c3016d40f863200405

Joe T. said: "Hi, I’m Joe. I’m a Rockstar Expert and I'm here to help!

Unfortunately many players are experiencing the same issue. The problem has been reported to Rockstar, so hopefully they'll be providing some information about what's going on soon.

I'm extremely sorry about this, hopefully it will be resolved as quickly as possible."

If this does not resolve your issue, please reply to your ticket via email or at https://support.rockstargames.com/dashboard

If you do not respond to the expert or your ticket within 48 hours, we will consider your issue resolved.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Jimbot posted:

3 star is pretty tough. It's when enemies start getting bolt-action rifles and start sniping you across the map for 65% of your outer circle.

Also here's what Rockstar has to say about the streak bonus stuff (mine got erased and doesn't seem to register):

Depending on how much you care you might want to send a followup saying that's not good enough, as you got redirected to their extremely outsourced bullshit mitigation service before you reached anyone in-house who could have actually compensated you.

Dailies are pretty much universally hosed at the moment but it's only the squeakiest wheels that are managing to reach a Rockstar employee and get gold payouts.

Be polite, be patient, get that fuckin' loot regardless.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish that too. I also feel the same about sea of thieves. "online" doesn't have to always equate to pvp and I wish developers would realize that. Or maybe they already know that and it would be too much effort.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you're in defensive mode people will rarely, if ever, attack you. The last time I got attacked I was in offensive mode (I forgot it changed due to a mission) and went on top of a building to get a tarrot card that was infamous for people camping up there and murdering everyone. But before that it was months and months.

It's not GTAO where you can get attack helicopters or jets or whatever that makes griefing easy as sin. Word is that even far good sales for Traders aren't attacked, they're just hard because the NPC bandits start attacking your buyers a lot sooner and them dying is the bigger problem. There is very little incentive for being a jerk and the blue dot population vastly, vastly outnumbers the red. I rarely see red dots in instances.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
My friends and I attacked a trader delivery when it so happened to pass our camp along the way. I road ahead and met them at a hill on the other side while they were dealing with my friends and I fired one incendiary round from the shot gun at the two sitting on the front seat.

They both blew up and we took the wagon to the drop off the game told us to go to and we got a full bar of materials. Was expecting cash or actual goods but it will do.

Other then that I have never been attacked during a trade and since the update ppl have been so busy they completely forget about ganking randos.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Jumping back into Online this week after not playing since beta. On PS4 so been working on grinding out the trader stuff (which is super fun since I basically use the game as a hunting sim anyway), but I do have about 40 gold squirreled away from all the bonuses at the beginning.

What's the verdict on the other professions, would both or either of them be worth jumping into right now? Just trying to figure out if it's a good investment or if I should hang onto the gold.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Capn Beeb posted:

I've been keeping a note of my bounty hunter XP and nah, it's bugged. The XP doesn't go up if the mission glitches :(

You're still not getting any money though, right? I know it isn't much - but what is the point otherwise? I've been only doing the trader and will be able to complete the Outlaw Pass no problem by the deadline. Bounty hunting is waste, which is such a shame.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

talktapes posted:

Jumping back into Online this week after not playing since beta. On PS4 so been working on grinding out the trader stuff (which is super fun since I basically use the game as a hunting sim anyway), but I do have about 40 gold squirreled away from all the bonuses at the beginning.

What's the verdict on the other professions, would both or either of them be worth jumping into right now? Just trying to figure out if it's a good investment or if I should hang onto the gold.

If you're going to play with regularity for a bit, do the 35 gold pass, and whatever free Roles you qualify for. The pass XP generates quickly and will pay out the 35 gold investment if you get to rank 70. I've been casually playing and already hit 53.

I think each role has a "free" method of entry on PS4. Collector + either of the other two are pretty solid. You can do some collection stuff enroute to untimed bounties or while hunting.

Also, I've noticed that Nezar's misc maps almost always point out items in your vicinity when read, so I pop them in St. Denis.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Apparently the last update broke everyone’s faces

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

You're still not getting any money though, right? I know it isn't much - but what is the point otherwise? I've been only doing the trader and will be able to complete the Outlaw Pass no problem by the deadline. Bounty hunting is waste, which is such a shame.

It's random. Sometimes I get 0.08 gold, sometimes I get cash, sometimes I get cash and more gold, and sometimes I get nothing. The only time I get paid properly is if the bounty starts properly with no message of "mission will start shortly" or "you've done a job too recently, come back later", or a load into a black screen.

The one about doing jobs too recently is really weird considering I had that happen on the first lobby of the day yesterday.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Looks like my character, too, got potato face'd in the latest patch. 2gb for a whole lot of nothing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I only had a 154MB patch to grab, uh oh :ohdear:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I only had a 154MB patch to grab, uh oh :ohdear:

Me too.

Also I guess it’s time to grab a free Amazon prime account so I can get the free bounty hunting role.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Evil Badman posted:

If you're going to play with regularity for a bit, do the 35 gold pass, and whatever free Roles you qualify for. The pass XP generates quickly and will pay out the 35 gold investment if you get to rank 70. I've been casually playing and already hit 53.

Seconding this, the battle pass isn't really grindy at all if you're going to play a lot. I just finished it yesterday. It will pay back your gold in increments of 7 bars every so many levels.

talktapes posted:

Trader is based around hunting, recommend you have a long scoped rifle for headshotting deer and a varmint rifle for annihilating every bird and small animal that you see (except ravens, they're basically worthless). The way it works is you bring materials (aka dead animals) to the butcher table in your camp. Whole carcasses are generally worth much more than pelts. Cripps will slowly turn them into goods over time. This process uses your "supply" meter. Eventually you will run out of supplies. Once this happens you can spend $20 to refill them (don't do this) or you can start a supply mission. In these supply missions you will usually fight npcs and steal their wagons/supply bags to keep Cripps' operation running. Make sure you loot every person you kill if possible, Rockstar sped up the animation time and they actually drop valuable items now. Sometimes Cripps will ask you to hunt a specific animal and give it to a person who will provide you with supplies instead of having you murder people. All of these missions give good trader xp so they're worth doing instead of just buying more supplies.

If you have friends playing with you, supply bag missions are better since you get more xp per bag. Once you have enough goods created you can start a trade mission to drive a wagon full of goods from your camp to either a local area or a distant area. Distant drives aren't worth the time investment until you have a large trading wagon imo. The small one you start with carries 25 goods, medium carries 50, and large carries 100. (you have to buy the medium wagon before you can buy large). Once you have a large wagon it's worth doing distant trades because you will get paid $625 as opposed to $500 for a local trade. If you really want to grind trader xp you can just keep spamming distant trades with only 1 goods for sale, but I never did this because it sounds boring as hell. Unfortunately, I do not believe that Cripps converts materials into goods unless you are solo or running the posse yourself. He also doesn't create goods when you're offline. Ideally you will be able to fill up your materials meter and go do other stuff while Cripps gets all your goods ready for trade.

I also recommend joining the Red Dead Online reddit discord, people will invite you to their posse for trader runs. It's easy money and XP to the tune of $300 just for riding along with a large distant trade run. I'm riding behind one right now in cinematic mode as I type this.

Collecting has a bit of an investment before it takes off, you need $700 for the metal detector and $300 (or was it $350?) for a shovel. Once you get those you can roam around the desert digging poo poo up for tons of easy xp. Until then, you can use eagle eye mode to look for collectible items that can potentially spawn in every lovely little shack in the game. Sometimes you will loot collectibles off of npcs, make sure to loot everyone you kill! Once you finish collecting an entire set, you can mail it or bring it to Madam Nazar for a big payout of xp/money. You can also sell individual collectible to Madam Nazar if you really need cash now.

Bounty Hunting I have the least experience with. Right now I think it's fun to play, but there are supposedly bugs that might prevent you from getting xp. There is also a mechanic where you get more pay if you wait until the last 30 seconds of the mission timer to turn the bounty in. I never do this because standing around not playing the game seems real dumb imo. They just released legendary bounties. In some locales (right now it's Armadillo or Tumbleweed) you will find a legendary bounty poster with a star icon on it instead of dollar signs. This bounty mission will have no timer, but will have a limited amount of lives. After you complete it you can run it again after a while at two star difficulty, then three star, and so on up to five star difficulty. So far I've only done up to three star but at that point the npcs were actually starting to feel dangerous. Regular bounty missions are randomly generated and are your standard "show up, find bounty, catch/kill them and bring them back to a jail." Sometimes you have to wait for the bounty to show up before you can capture them.

All three of these new roles have associated Free Roam missions that you will be invited to periodically after gaining a few levels in the role. So far the only one I've done is the Trader mission. In this mission, you and 9 other players protect a train from npcs. In my experience, there are so many other players that it is impossible to fail this mission unless everyone is afk. At the end you will receive pay, xp, and goods to trade.

tl;dr All of the roles add content that's worth doing and is easy XP, definitely pick them all up asap. If you don't have enough gold to unlock them all start with Trader, then Collector, then Bounty Hunter. Or just pick what you think is gonna be fun for you to do.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 18, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bounty Hunter has two free roam missions too (at least I've only seen one for Collector and Trader so far). Manhunt is bad, never do it. The other one is a lot of fun but it also doesn't pay out that well. Unless you're on top of your game, you'll probably get in the middle of the pack and only get about 150 bounty exp, even though you've captured and turned in nearly a dozen people.

They need to tweak the exp gains for Bounty Hunting as well as fix the bug that doesn't give you exp if your mission causes you to enter a new session.

Anyone have any experience with the new horses? They any good? The stats look good but I'm curious to know their temperament.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Logged on and my 80 plus day streak was reset to 0. Eat a bag of dicks Rockstar.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I figure it's probably been covered, but I've not seen it, so: has a pattern been established for Nazar's location yet? She's been under the E's in Creek twice that I know of. If there was a way to know for sure where she is on what day, it'd save me a lot of time googling.

I mean, I get maybe it's entirely random, but if not I'd like to know.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 19, 2019

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

PSA: if you have the Grizzlies Outlaw outfit, check the gunsmith for a $0 matching off-hand holster

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is the varmint rifle dead? I'm getting killed by the bolt action alot in team online maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bolt action has been the prime competitive gun for a long while. Its accuracy is extremely good. Range too.