Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
ok I think Burr is good but overrated but let's not pretend Chris 'WHERE MY NERDS AT' Hardwick is a good comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
also joe rogan lmfao.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
the funniest thing about rogan is that he actually considers himself a comic

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

the funniest thing about rogan is that he actually considers himself a comic

The only good thing he ever did as a standup was get the ball rolling on people realizing what a wholesale fraud Mencia is

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I laughed (not sure what the guy is concretely upset about)

https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/1170910859205328898

This makes me even more stoked to see Kinane again

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Gay Horney posted:

Better than Bill Burr

...Jim Norton...

lol.

Look I used to listen to O&A a ton and all, and found Jimmy funny enough in that context at the time. He's, nowadays, a complete retard, however, and is incapable of producing good radio. That said, Jim Norton's stand-up has never been great. Or even good really. Claiming it could be BETTER THAN BILL BURR'S STAND-UP is literally one of the only ways to use Jim Norton to leverage a laugh out of me, which it did. Quite a big one!

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

there's about a million better standups than burr. Hannibal Burress, Chapelle, John Mullaney Jim Jeffries Sarah Silverman I even like Chris loving Hardwick better as a standup, Rogan is arguably better along with Diaz and shaffir, Whitney Cummings sometimes, Jim Jeffries, David cross, Jim Norton, this isn't difficult

jim jefferies is really good at his best and chappelle obviously, but the rest of that list? lmao

joe rogan? hahahaha

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
People actually bit on that that troll bait? Lol

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of Kinane, since some of you mentioned him, he let it slip today on a twitter q&a that he's got a new album in the can. Which is cool, I dig Kyle.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of Kinane, since some of you mentioned him, he let it slip today on a twitter q&a that he's got a new album in the can. Which is cool, I dig Kyle.

I saw him do stand up on a gondola a couple weeks ago. He was drunk and very funny.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Craig Ferguson: Hobo Fabulous (Official Trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPuWtUSFEEE

red19fire
May 26, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

ok I think Burr is good but overrated but let's not pretend Chris 'WHERE MY NERDS AT' Hardwick is a good comic.

“Check out this slytherin over here, am I right fellow potter fans? Also, sonic screwdriver. That’s from Dr Who. Hashtag infinity gauntlet!”

-Chris Hardwick, absolutely DESTROYING this heckler.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/sep/18/best-comedians-of-the-21st-century-comics-standup-comedy

This seems somewhat inline with the current thread discussion.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

I like that Stewart Lee is still the 41st best.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's a decent list.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Half that list doesn't do Standup.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

They forgot Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth.

e: And Kelsey Grammer.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Half that list doesn't do Standup.

Despite the url, the actual article's title is "best comedians".

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

It's almost as though humor is subjective and getting people to agree on who is funny or not is a completely pointless endeavor.

Except Kinane. That's my dude and everyone should love him as much as I do.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Not only that, lists are also subjective.

For the sake of discussion though, I don't understand why Tina fey is always so well regarded (number one on the list) by others. I watched like three seasons of Thirty Rock expecting it to become really funny at some point but it never surpassed "amusing". Is there something she did besides that (and SNL) that is noteworthy? To me it feels like people only like her because she's recognisable and worked on big stuff.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Odddzy posted:

For the sake of discussion though, I don't understand why Tina fey is always so well regarded (number one on the list) by others. I watched like three seasons of Thirty Rock expecting it to become really funny at some point but it never surpassed "amusing". Is there something she did besides that (and SNL) that is noteworthy? To me it feels like people only like her because she's recognisable and worked on big stuff.

It’s a valid question. I liked 30 rock, but she must have done something else that I don’t know off?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
She wrote a lot of stuff I think? I think her thing was she was one of them that was a writer and kinda general stand-up until SNL?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

mrfart posted:

It’s a valid question. I liked 30 rock, but she must have done something else that I don’t know off?

Mean Girls

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Odddzy posted:

She was SNL's first female head writer and is regarded by many as one of the best Weekend Update hosts. Also set the current trend (for better or worse) of the head writer hosting Weekend Update.
She wrote Mean Girls, a classic of the teen comedy genre.
Wrote a best-selling and pretty funny memoir Bossypants detailing her trailblazing path in the boy's club that is comedy.
Co-hosted Golden Globes 3 years in a row with Amy Poehler. Definitely a minor accomplishment, but hosting award shows has almost no upside (that's why the Oscars and Emmys no longer have hosts... nobody wants to do it!) yet she and Amy were great.
Created The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Unanimously loved by critics. Broke ground by being one of the first shows to be created for network, then moved to streaming.
Created, starred in, and was head writer for 30 Rock, also unanimously loved by critics and winner of too many Emmys to count.

Comedy's subjective and I know people who are turned off by 30 Rock by the tone (I love the show, but I get it when people don't like it). But there's really no discussion about why Tina Fey is well-regarded. Joke for joke, 30 Rock is relentlessly funny. And she was the captain, both in the writers room and on set and in executive meetings, of that ship.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WerthersWay posted:

She was SNL's first female head writer and is regarded by many as one of the best Weekend Update hosts. Also set the current trend (for better or worse) of the head writer hosting Weekend Update.
She wrote Mean Girls, a classic of the teen comedy genre.
Wrote a best-selling and pretty funny memoir Bossypants detailing her trailblazing path in the boy's club that is comedy.
Co-hosted Golden Globes 3 years in a row with Amy Poehler. Definitely a minor accomplishment, but hosting award shows has almost no upside (that's why the Oscars and Emmys no longer have hosts... nobody wants to do it!) yet she and Amy were great.
Created The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Unanimously loved by critics. Broke ground by being one of the first shows to be created for network, then moved to streaming.
Created, starred in, and was head writer for 30 Rock, also unanimously loved by critics and winner of too many Emmys to count.

Comedy's subjective and I know people who are turned off by 30 Rock by the tone (I love the show, but I get it when people don't like it). But there's really no discussion about why Tina Fey is well-regarded. Joke for joke, 30 Rock is relentlessly funny. And she was the captain, both in the writers room and on set and in executive meetings, of that ship.

Thanks for the writeup, I think her comedy isn't really my type from what I have seen but I respect the fact she's worked her rear end off.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I like Fey's past projects but she hasn't really been involved in anything significant the past few years. She stopped writing for UKS early in Season 2 and then created Great News which quickly disappeared. That sheet cake sketch from last season is the only recent thing I can think of and it was terrible. So I'll always love Mean Girls, 30 Rock and UKS but I think her time is past.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually liked Great News but yea it fizzled out hard. Yea I didn't wanna bring it up but the last project I remember her in proper was that abysmal 'why protest nazis let's just eat sheet cake' weekend update bit.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Laterite posted:

I like Fey's past projects but she hasn't really been involved in anything significant the past few years. She stopped writing for UKS early in Season 2 and then created Great News which quickly disappeared. That sheet cake sketch from last season is the only recent thing I can think of and it was terrible. So I'll always love Mean Girls, 30 Rock and UKS but I think her time is past.

She didn't create Great News. I agree her sheet cake sketch was an abomination.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Years ago I heard a stand-up bit where a comic deconstructed the song Signs by Five Man Electrical Band (signs, signs, everywhere a sign) but I can't seem to Google who it was. Any idea?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sounds like a very Rob Paravonian thing

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Louis CK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHObS7_0MEc

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Oh jesus christ yep that's it

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Wow, Very impressive old video instagram filter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I thought this was a pretty good write up on "Is PC Culture Killing Comedy". Yeah, yeah, it's Cracked I know but I enjoyed reading it

https://www.cracked.com/article_26764_is-asking-is-pc-culture-killing-comedy-killing-comedy.html

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought this was a pretty good write up on "Is PC Culture Killing Comedy". Yeah, yeah, it's Cracked I know but I enjoyed reading it

https://www.cracked.com/article_26764_is-asking-is-pc-culture-killing-comedy-killing-comedy.html

referring to Mark Twain as "a dead dude who wrote a book they [i.e., comics?] pretended to read in junior high" doesn't exactly inspire me to scroll through the hundred ads that infest this site and read the rest

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bonaventure posted:

referring to Mark Twain as "a dead dude who wrote a book they [i.e., comics?] pretended to read in junior high" doesn't exactly inspire me to scroll through the hundred ads that infest this site and read the rest

quote:

Or as they're known to young people today, two dead guys they've vaguely heard of and a dead dude who wrote a book they pretended to read in junior high.

To young people, young people know Mark Twain as a dead dude who wrote a book they pretend to read in junior high.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bonaventure posted:

did you not read the literal two words before that like some weird sniper vision thing

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
1. given the context of the piece does the author not mean young comedians or people who care about comedy?

2. not the point of what makes that sentence so idiotic

3. cracked bad

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
By 2016 Cracked had gone Hillary centrist liberal whereas SA went full Bernie gay space communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cracked.com is too low brow for me. I prefer The Economist or Maddox blogs from 2002.