Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Draft picks, even very high “pro ready can’t miss” ones, bust all the drat time though. So if their plan is really that they can just draft a billion dudes in the first three rounds and have a stable of studs around Tua (who might bust himself for all we know)... that seems, uh, optimistic and reckless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Also plenty of turnarounds worked without doing a mega purge.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Docjowles posted:

Draft picks, even very high “pro ready can’t miss” ones, bust all the drat time though. So if their plan is really that they can just draft a billion dudes in the first three rounds and have a stable of studs around Tua (who might bust himself for all we know)... that seems, uh, optimistic and reckless.

the dolphins hit on their picks pretty consistently (not perfectly but above average); it’s signing them to a second contract where things usually go awry

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Even if they hadn’t purged the roster it still wouldn’t be good enough AND they wouldn’t have Tua AND they’d still need to hit on their draft picks and free agents they’d just have less flexibility to do so.

There’s a reason 90% of Dolphin fans are totally cool with it all.

We’ve been mediocre for 35 years. I’d rather risk building it from the ground up and fail than continue to tread water. You can say “look at what happened with Luck!” And that’s fine but he also took a barren team to 11-5 the next 2 years after the tank and the main problem is that they didn’t put anyone around him in that time span (or a couple more years after that) not so much the original horrible roster he was drafted on to.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The new roster is going to consist of tons of rookies thrust into starting roles and overpaid vets that couldn't get signed anywhere else.

Tua would be hosed. They're tanking too hard.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

The new roster is going to consist of tons of rookies thrust into starting roles and overpaid vets that couldn't get signed anywhere else.

Tua would be hosed. They're tanking too hard.
Exactly: the Dolphins aren't just jettisoning overpaid mediocrities, they're alienating and jettisoning good players and even some of their young, cost-controlled talent. Like, the Browns did that years ago, and they only just this year resemble a competitive NFL team, after three years. It's excessive and unnecessary even if you have complete faith in the Dolphins brain trust(:lol:)
Even if Tua is good and isn't ruined by being buried in poo poo, the Dolphins won't be competitive for a while. Nobody is going to want to sign with the Dolphins next year if they go 2-14 or worse.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

NutShellBill posted:

So... what is the strategy in Miami right now?

The "Tank for Tua" part is obvious, but what happens if and when they get him?

At the rate they're going, they'll have Tua, a cooked Kiko Alonso and Preston Williams. QB is important, but having a decent lineman or two might be good, maybe some defenders?

They literally learned nothing from watching the Colts waste Andrew Luck's career.

Kiko was traded a while ago. Lol

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think there was a bunch of factors that were invariably going to naturally push the Dolphins towards a "rebuilding" year, probably most notable one involving a roster full of bad Mike Tannenbaum contracts that would have necessarily restricted their ability to do anything all that meaningful in free agency. You had a bunch of players that weren't playing up to their contracts, weren't useful in new schemes, and came with dead cap penalties. The alternative was to be able to spend like $15-20m total in acquiring players, many of whom would have likely had to have been bad/worthless stop-gap players whose biggest merits were some basic scheme fit and would have only continued to reinforce the same problem. On top of that, it was a pretty poo poo year for them to try and rebuild the units they really needed to fix with players who fit who weren't just space-fillers to be replaced later.

What they're doing now is certainly not without risks, but your opportunity cost here pretty well sucked rear end too.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tunsil will no longer be cost controlled by the time the Dolphins might be remotely competitive and they probably wouldn’t pay him what he was likely to get on the market.

The Fitzpatrick thing was far less defensible but he also wanted out, it’s not like they were shopping him before he demanded a trade.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Docjowles posted:

Thats a fair point but the more draft picks you have, the greater the chance of hitting on at least some of them.

I think the Dolphins personnel strategy is good but the coaching makes me think they're gonna gently caress it all up

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think all the Dolphins moves make sense in isolation, with the possible exception of Fitzpatrick, but the overall effect has been much more damaging than expected

I do think the cap space will be helpful, as the Jags showed the effect you can have buying paying the bad team premium in the form of first year bonuses and generally front loaded contracts.

The only issue will be if there are actually players worth signing in free agency

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

btw Chris Grier straight up said they didn’t plan to trade Tunsil or Minkah.

The Tunsil offer was just too good to pass up and Minkah demanded a trade.

But those moves weren’t originally part of “the plan”.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Oh yeah, no doubt. The Tunsil move made sense in isolation, it just lead to the Minkah issue and the combined loss of talent means that we'll have no idea how good Rosen, any of the RBs or any of thy WRs are because our line is even more of a tire fire than the last fifty times our line was a tire fire.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Two weeks in and I gotta say, I'm really happy with the Mitch Morse signing, he's shown a great ability to anchor the line and getting him out in space he's a mobile people mover.

Just gotta hope his noggin holds up because that's a constant health scare at this point.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I woke up one morning and was so fatigued that I passed out for two hours after summoning enough energy to pick up the phone and call in sick. Later it took everything I had just to go to the kitchen and get water. The whole thing was scary and weird. Next day, felt fine, like nothing happened. I always wondered what that was about. Maybe it was mono?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CubanMissile posted:

I woke up one morning and was so fatigued that I passed out for two hours after summoning enough energy to pick up the phone and call in sick. Later it took everything I had just to go to the kitchen and get water. The whole thing was scary and weird. Next day, felt fine, like nothing happened. I always wondered what that was about. Maybe it was mono?

it's just being a fan of an AFC east team

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Thats a fair point but the more draft picks you have, the greater the chance of hitting on at least some of them.

I think the Dolphins personnel strategy is good but the coaching makes me think they're gonna gently caress it all up

I think the concern is that some of them isn't enough considering how many holes there now are. I don't know enough about the 'phins depth, so I'm prepared to be corrected, but it seems like they need to hit starters on almost all of them.

Ehud posted:

btw Chris Grier straight up said they didn't plan to trade Tunsil or Minkah.

The Tunsil offer was just too good to pass up and Minkah demanded a trade.

But those moves weren't originally part of "the plan".

As tarbrush pointed out, they may not have been part of the plan but they are somewhat a consequence of it. I'm interested to see how this plays out. If it works will it lead to other teams going bonkers tank mode? Or will we see that there is a real lower limit to tanking?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
PFF, etc. but I’m kind of relieved Leonard Williams has been dogshit this season. He is not worth the $17m/year or whatever that the Jets would have paid him had he continued his “pretty good, but not great” trajectory.

https://twitter.com/nickspano/status/1174297370496045056?s=21

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I really don't think it's unrealistic to think Miami can go from terrible to below average in one offseason.

off the top of my head here is a checklist of the bare minimum that we should accomplish this year to pull things out of the toilet and turn us into a 5 or 6 win team with a foundation to build off of:

- Draft whatever QB we like best.

- Draft or sign 3 new starters on the offensive line.

- Draft or sign 2 edge rushers.

We still won't be good, but that likely gets us from historically bad to below average. If Grier cannot make those 3 things happen with all those draft picks and $160m in cap room then he shouldn't be the GM.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Imo you need at least a legit receiver so the QB (lol watch them take Herbert first overall) has an outlet. At least one solid side of the line is crucial though.

Honestly you could justify spending the entire draft on offense and doing the same for defense the following year.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

PFF, etc. but I’m kind of relieved Leonard Williams has been dogshit this season. He is not worth the $17m/year or whatever that the Jets would have paid him had he continued his “pretty good, but not great” trajectory.

https://twitter.com/nickspano/status/1174297370496045056?s=21

What is with the Jets and drafting super talented defensive linemen that end up completely phoning it in near the end of their tenure?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

Imo you need at least a legit receiver so the QB (lol watch them take Herbert first overall) has an outlet. At least one solid side of the line is crucial though.

Honestly you could justify spending the entire draft on offense and doing the same for defense the following year.

yeah I thought about including WR in my list

even if you include WR though, we're talking about finding 6 starters (1 QB, 3 OL, 2 edge, 1 WR) with all those draft picks and cap room.

That should not be that difficult. It's not like they all have to be studs either. We just need capable NFL starters lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ehud posted:

- Draft or sign 3 new starters on the offensive line.
- Draft or sign 2 edge rushers.
My issue with stripping a team bare is that free agency takes place prior to the draft and the 2020 UFA class is pretty barren when comes to either of these positions. You're looking at the Robert Quinn, Zeke Ansah, Greg Robinson, Seantrel Henderson tier of players. It's a stopgap tier and you're going to be competing with 31 other teams picking those clean unless you significantly overpay. The Jets have to deal with the bad team tax as well. It sucks.

So now you're overpaying for mid-level free agents or using premium picks on guys that have a 50% hit rate on being a reasonably successful NFL starter. Repeat for 3-4 years until you have decent enough depth to compete. By that time you can only hope that your rookie contract QB is good enough to get extended for $35m per.

Basically, all hope is lost. Bad teams will remain bad. gently caress the Patriots forever.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I don't think they'll target key positions in FA for exactly that reason. I think they'll go after LBs, WRs in FA and then address the high leverage positions in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see both extra first rounders go on tackles.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think you guys are exaggerating the effects of the FA tax and how long it takes for a team to turn it's prospects around with good coaching.

The Seahawks jettisoned most of their roster in the early Carroll days and hit the ground running thanks to good drafting and coaching.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Diva Cupcake posted:

My issue with stripping a team bare is that free agency takes place prior to the draft and the 2020 UFA class is pretty barren when comes to either of these positions. You're looking at the Robert Quinn, Zeke Ansah, Greg Robinson, Seantrel Henderson tier of players. It's a stopgap tier and you're going to be competing with 31 other teams picking those clean unless you significantly overpay. The Jets have to deal with the bad team tax as well. It sucks.

So now you're overpaying for mid-level free agents or using premium picks on guys that have a 50% hit rate on being a reasonably successful NFL starter. Repeat for 3-4 years until you have decent enough depth to compete. By that time you can only hope that your rookie contract QB is good enough to get extended for $35m per.

Basically, all hope is lost. Bad teams will remain bad. gently caress the Patriots forever.

I really don't think you can plan this specifically yet. There are too many moving parts in one offseason. I think Miami's goal is to have as much flexibility as possible.

Just for the offensive line, Miami could sign a free agent, trade for another guy, then spend a first on another guy. There's 3 dudes right there. And if they want to shore the unit up more they still have a jillion more dollars in cap room and a bunch of other picks :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The problem is that to actually get three good dudes you generally need to draft or acquire six. And the draftees may not be ready right away. And there will be a LOT of positions to fill.

It really just comes down to whether you believe the Dolphins front office and coaching staff is capable of executing this "vision." I'm skeptical

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Seahawks jettisoned most of their roster in the early Carroll days and hit the ground running thanks to good drafting and coaching.
The Seahawks had an unprecedented run of drafting Pro Bowl level players from 2010-2012 that owes a lot to dumb luck.

If they were actually that much better at identifying and drafting talent or even coaching them up than everyone else, they've done a pretty terrible job of it in the last 7 years. 2015 gave them Lockett and Frank Clark. The rest is a wasteland.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What Miami is doing is unprecedented so it's hard to make an informed guess on how it will turn out. The closest analog I can think of is Cleveland, but they didn't shed nearly amount of talent Miami has and they still only had one win over two seasons.

Ehud posted:

Just for the offensive line, Miami could sign a free agent, trade for another guy, then spend a first on another guy. There's 3 dudes right there. And if they want to shore the unit up more they still have a jillion more dollars in cap room and a bunch of other picks :shrug:

Virtually no tackles of even average caliber hit free agency, the trade market price for a decent tackle was just set at two first-rounders, and the hit rate for tackles in the draft isn't that high.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Seahawks had an unprecedented run of drafting Pro Bowl level players from 2010-2012 that owes a lot to dumb luck.

If they were actually that much better at identifying and drafting talent or even coaching them up than everyone else, they've done a pretty terrible job of it in the last 7 years. 2015 gave them Lockett and Frank Clark. The rest is a wasteland.

The Colts went from the 2011 wasteland to an 11-5 playoff team with one good season of drafting. Even mediocre drafting was able to keep them in contention a few seasons before Luck died.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The 2011 Colts are looking like a significantly more talented team than the 2019 Dolphins, though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You guys are thinking about this totally differently than me. I'm not talking about finding the guys who are good long-term solutions to each position. I'm talking about Miami finding enough players to go from historically bad to below average.

I simply want a QB, several human beings who can put together halfway competent performances on the offensive line and two more human beings who have the potential to put pressure on the other team's QB.

I'm making this argument in opposition of this notion that somehow Miami is tanking so hard that there is no way back. To me, the first step is to get back up to like a 5 win team. That is absolutely doable in one offseason.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I do agree with whomever said that if possible they should just spend all those top picks on the offense next year.

Get Tua, the best OL left on the board and a receiver or another OL by the end of the 2nd round and you can hopefully plug in enough stuff to let them develop.

If they do go 0-16 I think you have to flush the leadership though, because that many toys to play with should be really enticing to a GM / coach who has the opportunity to bring in all their own guys, and immediately be liked by the survivors in the locker room for simply not being part of hell world.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

I do agree with whomever said that if possible they should just spend all those top picks on the offense next year.

Get Tua, the best OL left on the board and a receiver or another OL by the end of the 2nd round and you can hopefully plug in enough stuff to let them develop.

If they do go 0-16 I think you have to flush the leadership though, because that many toys to play with should be really enticing to a GM / coach who has the opportunity to bring in all their own guys, and immediately be liked by the survivors in the locker room for simply not being part of hell world.

yeah, honestly the more I think about it, I like this approach.

First round:

Tua
OL
OL/WR

and keep building out the supporting cast (especially OL) with other picks and free agents. There is nothing more important than getting the QB as much help as possible in year one. The entire point of this is to come out of the depths with a franchise QB.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

You guys are thinking about this totally differently than me. I'm not talking about finding the guys who are good long-term solutions to each position. I'm talking about Miami finding enough players to go from historically bad to below average.

I simply want a QB, several human beings who can put together halfway competent performances on the offensive line and two more human beings who have the potential to put pressure on the other team's QB.

I'm making this argument in opposition of this notion that somehow Miami is tanking so hard that there is no way back. To me, the first step is to get back up to like a 5 win team. That is absolutely doable in one offseason.

Right, I don't think I'm misunderstanding your point, I just don't agree with it. I don't think you can find enough decent stopgap players in one offseason to get the Dolphins to five wins.

You have to assume you hit on every single draft pick and that the free agency crop of 2020 is unusually fertile AND that you can convince even borderline talents to come to Miami before a five-win team is feasible.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Let me re-frame this: is there an example in NFL history of a deliberate helltank that actually resulted in a team becoming a Super Bowl contender? Not to be all :patssay: but if you're just going for "watchable" then tanking is really pointless.

I was going to say Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys, but I didn't realize he was taking over a 3-13 toilet roster anyway, and his rebuild required pulling off the biggest trade in league history to work.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

Right, I don't think I'm misunderstanding your point, I just don't agree with it. I don't think you can find enough decent stopgap players in one offseason to get the Dolphins to five wins.

You have to assume you hit on every single draft pick and that the free agency crop of 2020 is unusually fertile AND that you can convince even borderline talents to come to Miami before a five-win team is feasible.

that may be, but at least I never slept with lumbergh

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sean10mm posted:

Let me re-frame this: is there an example in NFL history of a deliberate helltank that actually resulted in a team becoming a Super Bowl contender? Not to be all :patssay: but if you're just going for "watchable" then tanking is really pointless.

I was going to say Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys, but I didn't realize he was taking over a 3-13 toilet roster anyway, and his rebuild required pulling off the biggest trade in league history to work.

I'm talking about the goals for a single offseason.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Raku posted:

Honestly we’ve got a decent receiving corps even without Stills. I believe if they get improved play by the line, we’ll see more routes that match their abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

I'm talking about the goals for a single offseason.

Right, I'm just wondering if the "burn everything down" thing ever actually worked in the long term beyond "they're fine I guess." I'm not trying to be an rear end, I genuinely don't know and can't think of any obvious examples.