Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it's messed up to say a woman signing a contract and getting pregnant is somehow a grift.

otoh grifting Vince McMahon is never bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Schneider Heim posted:

Could anyone tell me more about Bob Sapp? I understand that he became quite popular in Japan... was he legit good? He mostly looked goofy to me.
Sapp was an enormous guy with a lot of athletic talent who didn't...quite...make it in every sport he tried. He washed out of pro football, got dropped from WCW developmental when they died, and got picked up by K-1 kickboxing.

Sapp's K-1 career was a sick joke where the company heavily promoted and protected him. They put him up against guys half his size, some of them barely-trained pro wrestlers or washed-up guys like Kimo Leopoldo. A lot of his fights were refereed by Kakuda Nobuaki, who would let him get away with fouling to the point that he won matches doing it. He scored knockdowns by rushing, hit grounded opponents, threw punches after the bell, and rabbit punched whenever he got the chance. That's how he beat Ernesto Hoost twice.

Then Cro Cop broke his face. High-level guys figured out that Sapp couldn't really box and couldn't really take a hit--you just had to be able to dodge 300 pounds of muscle and bone running at you. Since the end of his K-1 heyday, he's enjoyed a long career of taking an occasional fight that turns out to be a big disappointment when he gives up in the first round the first time he gets hit hard.

Throughout this whole time he was also doing MMA fights. The details of that aren't as interesting--he mostly either ground-and-pounded much smaller guys, or got beaten by someone who was actually good and could deal with his size and power. Early on, he put in a highlight reel performance against Nogueira by countering a takedown with a piledriver and countering triangle attempts with slams. He took Jerome Le Banner to a draw in a weird mixed rules match, and beat a washed-up and cash-strapped Akebono in a record-drawing K-1 match. He beat Akebono again in a MMA match in 2015, and beat Osunaarashi last year. Those are his best performances against legit athletes.

Since his K-1 heyday he got a reputation for taking an occasional fight and pretty much throwing it in the first round. He denies throwing fights, but admits that he's not going to get hurt for small paydays. I don't know why any promotion would want to give him a pile of money to tap out in 2 minutes, but if they're dumb enough to pay him, good on him for taking the money.

Despite being a bust as a real athletic prospect, he was incredibly over in Japan. Way more popular than genuine champion-level contenders like Cro Cop, and well into being a mainstream celebrity. He knew how to promote himself, and I think he knew he wasn't ever going to become a champion fighter.

I honestly can't tell you a lot about his wrestling career. I've seen a few of his matches and they're...okay. He has a talent for playing the monster heel, but he gasses out just as quickly as he did as a pro fighter, after which he appears to be moving in slow-motion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it's messed up to say a woman signing a contract and getting pregnant is somehow a grift.

No no, she didn't sign a contract and get pregnant. She got pregnant, then entered into contract negotiations without telling them she was pregnant, got the guaranteed money and then revealed it. THAT is the grift, and it owns.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s still not a grift but it does own because it will have made Vince really mad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The pregnancy has resulted in way more TV time for Mike than he was getting, so maybe she's just a genius.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The pregnancy has resulted in way more TV time for Mike than he was getting, so maybe she's just a genius.

This feels especially poetic since WWE wasn't shy about portraying her as a ditz

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is that the same Maria that Mick Foley had a problem with? I never read his third book and didn't pay attention to TNA or anything at the time, what was with that whole debacle?

Anyone?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't remember Mick having a problem with any Maria.
I also don't know how many other Marias are in wrestling.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maybe it was Melina. She refused to have sex witgh Mick Foley even though he called her beautiful, which really got his goat

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cavauro posted:

Maybe it was Melina. She refused to have sex witgh Mick Foley even though he called her beautiful, which really got his goat

Oh yeah, Melina, I'm sorry. I got the two confused. I just remember people talking about how they lost a lot of respect for Foley because of what happened with her and how he gets really creepy about it in his third book. I've just never seen it explained beyond what I've already typed, so I was wondering if someone could elaborate.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Didn't Bret Hart refer to Melina as one of the top wrestlers in the world at some point? What is it with old legend dudes and Melina.

The Melina/Foley thing at least crossed over to the on-screen product a bit, as it was a focal point of the ill-conceived 2006 Foley vs Flair feud :cripes:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

No no, she didn't sign a contract and get pregnant. She got pregnant, then entered into contract negotiations without telling them she was pregnant, got the guaranteed money and then revealed it. THAT is the grift, and it owns.
It super does. And to a nicer guy it couldn't happen.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
who has the best rear end in wrestling? would you guys be interested in having a Best Wrestling rear end voting tournament? please nominate people for the upcoming tournament.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Drew McIntyre posted:

who has the best rear end in wrestling? would you guys be interested in having a Best Wrestling rear end voting tournament? please nominate people for the upcoming tournament.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Drew McIntyre posted:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Drew McIntyre posted:

Do valets count? Because at the risk of being cancelled from the New Japan thread, I'd have to go with a non-joke answer and say Pieter.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
thanks guys, this is going to be an intergender tournament and i don't really have a good perspective on which men have attractive asses. this helps a lot. i'd like to have 32 men and 32 women for the tournament. this will span all of wrestling history, and not just the current timeframe, so if you know any good vintage asses, like Mr. rear end, you can nominate them.

valets and managers count, referees count, anyone on tv who isn't a guest. i guess it will be The Best rear end in Wrestling Tournament and not necessarily The Best Wrestler rear end. and looking back that is how i worded it originally. thanks for your support.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

You should probably make a separate topic for that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Has anyone since late 90s/early 2000s Booker T used the missile dropkick consistently? I can't remember the last time I saw a dropkick like his, tonnes of top rope shotgun dropkicks though and standing dropkicks but nothing like Booker T's awesome heatseeker.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

drat

john has to wear the baggiest possible jorts to be kid friendly, clearly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drew McIntyre posted:

would you guys be interested in having a Best Wrestling rear end voting tournament?

No.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

J-Ru is just trying to get nominated.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s clearly Sonny Kiss end topic.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
it looks like most people are interested in having the tournament, i will think of 64 people in wrestling with the best asses, but please keep leaving suggestions in this thread until i post the tournament. don't stop giving me suggestions until then.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Big Daddy V

sorry, just realized it's not an all-time tournament. Big Daddy V died after farting really big and bad on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJTzPy8L5E

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Drew McIntyre posted:

it looks like most people are interested in having the tournament, i will think of 64 people in wrestling with the best asses, but please keep leaving suggestions in this thread until i post the tournament. don't stop giving me suggestions until then.
i already told you who the best one is so the tournament will be a waste of time

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

jesus WEP posted:

i already told you who the best one is so the tournament will be a waste of time

aren't you interested in seeing how everyone does in the tournament? tournaments like this are a good way to build forum morale.

and it is a Best rear end of All Time Tournament, Cavauro, don't worry.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t care about 63 inferior asses no

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cheex. i'll be posting more nominations later

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a clip to the Youtube where Beau James uses the worst armbar finisher in history?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

Does anyone have a clip to the Youtube where Beau James uses the worst armbar finisher in history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbUnTYS7zY

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lol what the gently caress is this, does this guy own this rinky dink company? thats the only thing that possibly makes sense.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the commentator is better than anybody in the wwe right now

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Are people running "roleplaying" fake Twitter accounts for wrestlers really just eFedding?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

God bless you.

The commentator is actually... good? He could have fit in on a WCW C show in 93 or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

lol what the gently caress is this, does this guy own this rinky dink company? thats the only thing that possibly makes sense.

Correct! The other clips I have of SSW are even less professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhdessO5fQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NllxbFa5BU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl2rWiYfVgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNAuK7lCHOc

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Does anyone have the beboo crawshanks story on standby? Can't find it on Google for some reason

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the heat between New Japan and The Elite? Is it because the Elite all jumped ship in January? In particular there's bad blood between Kenny and Tanahashi?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

basically yeah new japan is mad they jumped ship after basically becoming stars on the new japan platform and the elite is mad they weren't offered better deals to stay. i think they've all pretty much said new japan offered the worst contracts of the three on the table. kenny and tanahashi were feuding just prior to their departure and their feud was predicated on tanahashi not respecting kenny's philosophy of wrestling basically. afterwards both talked about wanting to wrestle each other again so that was probably more story than heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
A lot of Tanahashi's "I don't respect your style of wrestling" feuds seem to be based at least partially in reality, like the one with Shibata, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some minor amount of "heat," if you could even call it that, between Tana and Kenny but I'm sure it's nothing that serious. Most of the issue seems to be with New Japan management assuming the Elite would stay out of loyalty and not offering a satisfactory deal to make good on it, particularly for the Bucks, who they don't seem to have actually valued that much as a draw.