Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What factions get to make use of the new forts other than Empire? Just discovered to my horror that my Skaven have no interest in fighting in the cool Fort Soll that I've captured, and would rather get totally loving overrun in a generic underground map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prophet45
Aug 26, 2008

Enigma posted:

I had this happen repeatedly when one of Markus's hunters would have spawned at the beginning of my turn, but Markus was besieging a city at the end of my turn/beginning of my next one. I went ahead and fought the siege, then ended turn, and the hunter spawned without any crashing.

My guess was it had something to do with the fact that the unique hunters spawn on Markus, not on the capital, and something about the besieging stance broke the game. Could also be something to do with an invalid tile around Markus's stack, maybe?

That was probably it, yes. Had a hunter set to spawn on turn start.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shumagorath posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? On Hard it was just Scout -> Conquer all the way down the map. Don't be afraid to recruit yourself into deep red income because you can merge depleted units together on the next turn after conquering.

If this sounds obvious and/or you're playing on a way higher difficulty than me, I dunno. I guess you could just run around fellow Lizardmen territories joining their battles and levelling up your horde until you can spam Kroxigors?
I'm playing on Normal. I cannot recruit myself into red income because I have no money to recruit anything. Its all really bizarre which is why I felt like I may be missing something.

Senior Dog posted:

I just ignored that city cus yeah that garrison was strong. Instead I went west and killed some humans and savage orcs and dark elves and got the money train rollin.
Yeah I puttered around to the west (I think you mean east?) and took another settlement on the Not-Pacific coast for my vassal, then went back and their garrison was even stronger. I'll have to start over and try exploring around taking more of the un-owned settlements for my vassal before trying to off Mange.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm playing on Normal. I cannot recruit myself into red income because I have no money to recruit anything. Its all really bizarre which is why I felt like I may be missing something.

Yeah I puttered around to the west (I think you mean east?) and took another settlement on the Not-Pacific coast for my vassal, then went back and their garrison was even stronger. I'll have to start over and try exploring around taking more of the un-owned settlements for my vassal before trying to off Mange.

What I did was immediately smashed the skaven in the ruins next to me at start, then go northeast for the empty ruin there, then west for more ruins. Disband your skinks and saurus spears, saurus without shields. You can save on upkeep and turtle a few turns while claiming ruins. Use skink priest to search ruins and upgrade him for windblast spell. You won't be fighting anything for several turns anyway. Focus on upgrading your main settlement building, the saurus building to tier 2, and the building that reduces upkeep. Each ruin you claim gives you another 100 gold per turn or so. If Nakai gets any levels, focus on blue tree and work towards upkeep reduction.

Once I claimed all the nearby ruins I had a tier 3 settlement building and could recruit Kroxigors. I made my way towards Skaven and had an army of 4 saurus with shields (including your starting one), starting kroxigors + 2 additional kroxigors, and a skink priest with maxed out wind blast spell. That should be enough to stomp skaven 2-3 times your size. Ignore what auto resolve tells you, fight out your battles because it strangely favors their poo poo infantry.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth I don't really get Nakai either. I started out and went slightly west then south, took a bunch of undiscovered settlements for my vassal and then promptly ran right into Markus and the Dark Elves.

Edit: thanks for the above, I will give that a shot later.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
crosspost from generic total war thread

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1174266001166389249

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So they're gonna keep the mythical stuff going on this one?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

For what it's worth I don't really get Nakai either. I started out and went slightly west then south, took a bunch of undiscovered settlements for my vassal and then promptly ran right into Markus and the Dark Elves.

Edit: thanks for the above, I will give that a shot later.

His campaign is very easy and straightforward if you just get one stack of 10 kroxigors and add some other units for flavor. At the end I had my sacred kroxigor core some saurus a couple of dinos and two units of cavalry and I would have been fine with dropping the saurus and dinos

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Would be really interesting if your 'court' in this one was one of two sides of the pantheon and your aligned gods can act as passive and active buffs on the heroes. Would be very fitting to make decisions like which hero to favour and which to let go.

Could also be a fun diplomacy mechanic. If someone breaks a pact or disregards the sanctity of a place then the other player can use their pool of Gods to inflict faction-wide debuffs. Would be a fun way to punish 'untrustworthiness' by having divine punishments scale to the severity of it.

Small hubris? - Assign a negative trait to an enemy hero of your choice.
Big hubris? - Send a plague that causes unavoidable faction-wide attrition

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xan posted:

What I did was immediately smashed the skaven in the ruins next to me at start, then go northeast for the empty ruin there, then west for more ruins. Disband your skinks and saurus spears, saurus without shields. You can save on upkeep and turtle a few turns while claiming ruins. Use skink priest to search ruins and upgrade him for windblast spell. You won't be fighting anything for several turns anyway. Focus on upgrading your main settlement building, the saurus building to tier 2, and the building that reduces upkeep. Each ruin you claim gives you another 100 gold per turn or so. If Nakai gets any levels, focus on blue tree and work towards upkeep reduction.

Once I claimed all the nearby ruins I had a tier 3 settlement building and could recruit Kroxigors. I made my way towards Skaven and had an army of 4 saurus with shields (including your starting one), starting kroxigors + 2 additional kroxigors, and a skink priest with maxed out wind blast spell. That should be enough to stomp skaven 2-3 times your size. Ignore what auto resolve tells you, fight out your battles because it strangely favors their poo poo infantry.
Awesome, thank you. I will try this out the next opportunity I get.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is there something I’m missing that’s preventing my Black Ark from getting replenishment? I have it in expansion stance, I have the farm building, it’s pretty close to my territory, and I’m pretty sure there aren’t any global events affecting it, but replenishment is at zero.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 18, 2019

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there something I’m missing that’s preventing me from my Black Ark getting replenishment? I have it in expansion stance, I have the farm building, it’s pretty close to my territory, and I’m pretty sure there aren’t any global events affecting it, but replenishment is at zero.

You either have to be in your territory or you have to control that sea, meaning all the land territories that touch it (I think)

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

have pistoliers gotten better recently? these boys are getting 100+ kills pretty much every battle for me

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Whorelord posted:

have pistoliers gotten better recently? these boys are getting 100+ kills pretty much every battle for me

They were buffed a bit last year, I think maybe around the vampire coast update - they got slightly more range (from 70 to 80) and I think their missile damage went up a little. But even before then they were capable of doing great things - they're just micro-intensive and not very good against armoured enemies, that's the shortcoming really.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Whorelord posted:

There was a bug fix in the last patch. I think their rate of fire was being hindered by some animation issue.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Am I the only one a little puzzled that you get a massive penalty to your diplomatic reputation if you attack someone you just have a trade agreement with?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PerilPastry posted:

Am I the only one a little puzzled that you get a massive penalty to your diplomatic reputation if you attack someone you just have a trade agreement with?
The whole diplomatic mechanics in the Warhammer Total Wars is pretty bad because of how you can raid/get raided by someone you have agreements with, without any real penalty, so no this does not surprise me.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

Awesome, thank you. I will try this out the next opportunity I get.

One thing I forgot is dedicate all your early temples to the red one early on. Use starting temple currency to buy a skink chieftain hero asap because its casualty replenishment campaign skill is very helpful. Also it leads you towards blessed saurus warriors and beefier kroxigors. Perfect vigor infantry are so powerful. You don't even need to build towers in sieges, can just ladder them up walls and they fight at 100%.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there any argument for not rushing blue line -> lightning strike-> upkeep-> casualty replenishment on your LL every single time?

Seems like getting these bonuses early on gives the best return on investment when compared to any red or gold line stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

kidkissinger posted:

Is there any argument for not rushing blue line -> lightning strike-> upkeep-> casualty replenishment on your LL every single time?

Seems like getting these bonuses early on gives the best return on investment when compared to any red or gold line stuff.

Mage lords are total garbage if you do this because they generally need their spells to actually be awesome, but for all the TWW2 combat lords it's pretty effective, if enormously boring. For TWW1 lords their blue line is a lot shittier so it's a bit less immediately awesome.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’d say it depends on the army comp and the specific red and yellow skills being passed up on but on a combat lord it’s never not good.

On like Teclis though his magic and uniques are the difference between him being poo poo or an army killer.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

Mage lords are total garbage if you do this because they generally need their spells to actually be awesome, but for all the TWW2 combat lords it's pretty effective, if enormously boring. For TWW1 lords their blue line is a lot shittier so it's a bit less immediately awesome.

"I AM RIGHTEOUSNESS"

*Sits down at desk and scribbles away at a ledger for five hours*

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kidkissinger posted:

yeah, upgrading your early core infantry makes them extremely proficient. few armies need lightning strike (because the ai sucks), who needs more replenishment if your armies are always winning, and most factions make more than enough money by turn 30

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

yeah, upgrading your early core infantry makes them extremely proficient. few armies need lightning strike (because the ai sucks), who needs more replenishment if your armies are always winning, and most factions make more than enough money by turn 30

if the enemy has like three stacks around a city, there's not really any quick way to take that city without lightning strike tho

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Blue line only helps if you are winning the battles anyway, red and yellow lines win you battles you had no business winning.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Blue line only helps if you are winning the battles anyway, red and yellow lines win you battles you had no business winning.

with proper planning it is pretty rare that i have to fight battles with long-shot odds during the campaign anyway, even on legendary.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yes, but early on, especially if your going into a mirror-match or a hard-counter, it can be handy to have something to compare to the AI's boosted leadership and combat stats, especially if you don't have a good hammer for the anvil.

But if your going to win those battles anyway then blue is obviously better to get you the campaign benefits of more gold, healing faster to save gold and more movement to acquire more gold faster.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

if the enemy has like three stacks around a city, there's not really any quick way to take that city without lightning strike tho

enemy has three stacks plus a garrison? finally, an almost fair fight

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

also i just want to mention that wolfhart and his merry band of heroes can get his archers up to 200+ damage with ballistics calibration

they melt loving everyone its great

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

kidkissinger posted:

Many people have already answered, but to me it depends more on the faction and its units, and the difficulty level you're playing at. I play on Legendary difficulty and Very Hard battles because I am a masochist, and to me, if I'm going to be fielding some starter units by the mid- and endgame, I'll want red skills for the troops that are covered by those said skills early (e.g. Halberdiers and Handgunners for the Empire) since they're available soon and let me punch above my weight in the crucial starting phase. I'll eventually go for the blue skills, but usually pass on the casualty replenishment ones because there are other ways to cap replenishment.

Factions that I went straight for blue line early on were the Vampire Coast, Warriors of Chaos and the Lizardmen. Otherwise I tended to favor a few red line skills first, and maybe the faction legendary lord's special yellow skills (like Tyrion's or Malekith's Elf-related bonuses) before going down blue.

But Route Marcher, the first blue skill, is always, always what I get on level 2. Movement is huge in this game.

Also, there was some Steam guide user who went into the weeds with the numbers to show how efficient upkeep was in relationship to fewer units who performed better and how it saved more money if you red-lined the good stuff first, and THEN went blue, but I can't find it now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ammanas posted:

also i just want to mention that wolfhart and his merry band of heroes can get his archers up to 200+ damage with ballistics calibration

they melt loving everyone its great

I like how some people are complaining about that as imbalanced, as if I wouldn't pull out all the stops to kill these giant and extremely angry magic lizards before they get into melee.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I've just come across another long-standing bug. The servants of Chaos that spawned to attack Hexoatl have not disappeared after the ritual failed. They're sitting in my territory, raiding and I can't attack them or interact with them in any meaningful way. Is there any workaround?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Afriscipio posted:

I've just come across another long-standing bug. The servants of Chaos that spawned to attack Hexoatl have not disappeared after the ritual failed. They're sitting in my territory, raiding and I can't attack them or interact with them in any meaningful way. Is there any workaround?

if they are a faction, u should be able hit Hexoatl up in diplomacy and say that you will join their war against the servants of chaos

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I think I got lucky because a full stack of Mange (lol) ambushed my starting army +2 units of Saurus and I still ate them. Even when I hit their one walled settlement they never recovered. Had I been forced to take out the stack + garrison + walls that probably would have been the end of my game.

Another stroke of luck was getting to the Sentinels of Xeti immediately off my first named hunter kill and seeing them so doomed that they confederated. It only cost me war with Khalida and the Spine dwarfs, but I got one of the +Replenishment skink agents and their Slaan priest when I can field a second lord. Khalida was easy enough to lord-snipe and I probably won't pursue, but I feel like dorfs are going to be on my back until one of us is dead.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 19, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
As far as hero skills go, Lightning Strike is never a bad idea because either you're a horde army who wants to cut off coordinated response or you're a settled faction who will have to deal with multiple stacks of Chaos and Skaven somewhere. I suppose if you have amazing garrisons and never intend to fight outside home turf or always move your armies in twos you don't need it, but I'm not convinced anyone can pick four* more red / yellow skills that will let you take on twice as many troops. For a horde army that has to deal with in-fighting I'd say it's mandatory.

If your troops are individually weak then maybe start 3-whatever before touching the blue line, but the armies I like to play are all hard as nails (Lizardmen, Chaos, Romans).

*I assume you're getting +movement as your basic level 2 because that's the build for every TW general I've ever played.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 18, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Early on I usually tend to move with 2 armies together while the second guy ranks up and brings what extra I can afford to a fight, so lightning strike is a bit of a bummer there.

I'm not denying lightning strike is strong and can wreck chaos day, but I usually don't see many AI armies moving together or I am in a situation where I wouldn't be better off with my second army coming.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I started up a wulfhart campaign and 4 turns in nakai sends a peace treaty offer. What in the great plan is this?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Parallelwoody posted:

I started up a wulfhart campaign and 4 turns in nakai sends a peace treaty offer. What in the great plan is this?

Happens constantly.

Wulfhart and Nakai start off at war with each other. I think it is because Nakai is a horde faction, which means between the two, the balance of power massively favors Wulfhart. This triggers the AI's "please don't hurt me" peace offering.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

Sweet mother of mercy take it so you can actually have some breathing room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

But why, Nakai is always dead by turn 10.