Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Just gotta flip that chessboard to find the one truth.

As noted, quartz like Seiryuu are great on physical attackers. All the debuffs you could ever want, and even though they last only a turn on bosses (if they even stick) the fact that you can keep attempting it easily helps out a lot.

Also, Munk is not a photo club guy. I don't think you know what his deal is yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm replaying the first two games in preparation for 3 and loving hell Machias. Shut the gently caress up and let the grown ups who know how to control their blood pressure do things.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Cyouni posted:

Also, Munk is not a photo club guy. I don't think you know what his deal is yet.

farewell, my good joke

31. Maid of Cold Steel

Shocking revelations shake Class VII to their very core. You won't believe the secrets unveiled in this episode! Machias hates it!!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- That's an amazingly appropriate appellation for Sharon.
- Fie is pretty much mandatory to get the answer right because it's in-universe knowledge. Crow is also a good choice.
- Yeah, the dialogue between Alisa and Rean in the rain is odd because the exams definitely haven't happened yet. It's surprising that XSeed didn't seem to notice that.
- Well done on the midterms. You should have gotten the full 3 AP for getting all the answers right, talking to all the people with info, and finding all the books.
- Alisa's name isn't really supposed to be a secret from the player. The question isn't "what's Alisa's last name", but "why doesn't Alisa want others to know her last name".
- Sharon is now often found in Class VII's kitchen. You missed her on the local map (she doesn't appear on the fast travel map). It's actually a long conversation by talking to NPC standards, but you can't see it after doing Alisa's Ch. 3 bonding event.
- Good idea checking the top floor of the inn. The cat sometimes picks there as one of the spots to lurk.

- I know you're ignoring cooking, but cooking items are some of the best in the game, although the catch is that they use monster drops as ingredients.
- Speed is really, really important in most boss battles. On my Nightmare playthrough, I had a strategy in mind for the Ch. 4 old schoolhouse boss (who is MEAN), and I was executing it, but I didn't bother increasing my speed, and I got a party wipe. Next time, I made sure to keep speed up and no one even got into critical health.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I know you're ignoring cooking, but cooking items are some of the best in the game, although the catch is that they use monster drops as ingredients.

I'm actually planning to get to that in the next part. There's a bunch of money from the last dungeon and a free day seems like a pretty good time for food experiments.

Speaking of which, the next one isn't going to be until next weekend at the earliest. Fletcher's in the middle of moving and our schedules just aren't going to mesh well for a little while. I'll try to get the books post up in the next few days though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

I'm actually planning to get to that in the next part. There's a bunch of money from the last dungeon and a free day seems like a pretty good time for food experiments.

It's an ideal day for food experiments, in fact. As long as you don't beat the boss on the newest floor, you can enter and leave the old schoolhouse as much as you want, swapping in whoever you want (barring plot-based restrictions) without time advancing. You can also revisit older floors to farm monsters for monster ingredient drops (except boss monsters) and sepith/masses.

Speaking of Sepith, those breakable pots in the old schoolhouse sometimes have sepith or sepith masses in them. They started out as 5 per jar in the prologue, but they go up by 5 each month (so 20 at this point). That's not just for jars on the latest-unlocked-floor, the higher drop amount applies to all jars in the entire dungeon. It's probably not worth doing that though because it's likely to bore you out of your skull quickly.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 31, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- I love how the entire Class VII is now openly making GBS threads on Sara for being a slob.

- It's not the photography club that's looking for "material". Munk's not part of that club. You'll find out what he means by material at some point in the near future.

- Anyway, say hello to Sharon. As the Cassius Bright of man-servants, she prepare better food than you'll ever manage, faster than you'll ever manage and do it with a smile that's as aggravatingly perfect as everything else about her. Her hobbies include making others feel inadequate about themselves by comparison, killing teenagers at night by invading their dreams and annoying the poo poo out of Alisa any chance she gets.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Level 1 Thief posted:

Speaking of which, the next one isn't going to be until next weekend at the earliest. Fletcher's in the middle of moving and our schedules just aren't going to mesh well for a little while.

We remedied this. I hope you like monkey's paws.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

you could have teased the good video and not the awful one but that's a choice i guess

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As long as you spend more time talking about the game you're playing than a baseball game you're watching, it won't be the worst Cold Steel video the LP forum has seen.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Level 1 Thief posted:

you could have teased the good video and not the awful one but that's a choice i guess

99% of them are good! Why tease the consistent parts when you can go "hope you like table flips"?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

END ME SCOOB posted:

99% of them are good! Why tease the consistent parts when you can go "hope you like table flips"?

Oh, I see you fought the Old Schoolhouse boss. :allears:

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Oh, I see you fought the Old Schoolhouse boss. :allears:

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

32. Exactly Like Riding a Horse

The Student Council will be on the case as soon as all the documentation is filed. We do things right or not at all.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If I recall correctly, after the whole episode with Vincent, you can go to the Nobles' Dorm to find Vincent and Sariffa there and the latter will confirm that yes, those cookies were spiked like a Sega mascot.

The whole bike sidequest becomes a lot easier if you've actually driven a car with manual transmission before, which is mostly the same thing aside from the braking.

If you really want Sepith, you're better off using the Scepter MQ coupled with Septium Vein. The Dragon Vein quartz is best purely for its EP-restoring properties, meaning it goes on a caster and not a hybrid.

You might want to check in with George, btw. He has a new Master Quartz to sell every new chapter and the good ones are starting to come up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
George or the stores will both carry 'em. You must get Moebius. You can argue several Quartz as game best, but Moebius is definitely top 3

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Rean is generally oblivious to subtext, but he seems (at least to me) much more perceptive when it comes to Alisa (as evidenced by Chapter 4's bonding event with Alisa). Although in unfairness to Rean, Alisa is not that difficult to read.
- EDIT: I think that Rean sometimes pretends to miss subtext as a way to avoid immersing himself in an awkward situation. This could be one of those cases.
- 2:16 - :allears:
- Yeah, I only grab Micht's overpriced ingredients if I'm drowning in riches or on a NG+ and choose to start out with like 300,000. It's definitely not worth doing otherwise except as a last resort.
- I'm pretty certain that Rean is not one of the two first-years who got every history question right.
- Rean is absolutely the worst person to talk about how others shouldn't keep things bottled up. But despite that, he can help draw Alisa out of her bottle (and she can help draw Rean out of his).
- The Ch.3 Alisa bonding event helps give some context for what Alisa's life was like before Thors.
- Looks like the bonding event distracted you so much that you forgot you hadn't actually visited the other three rooms on the second floor. (It doesn't matter, I'm just saying.)
- If you never did the Vivi/Linde hidden quest, it would be different indeed. Rean wouldn't know what a Grand Rose is and he wouldn't know that Vivi is a red flag.
- Yes you can fast-travel to other maps using the one you can switch between Trista and the Academy Grounds.
- Dragon Vein is great for its EP regen. It's an excellent fit on a caster like Emma or Elliot for keeping their EP topped up between battles. Jusis would also work I suppose, since he has less maximum EP. Alisa is also a caster, but you'll soon get a quartz which is similar to Dragon Vein, but fire-elemental, which has strong synergy with her orbment's two locked fire slots.

Veryslightlymad posted:

George or the stores will both carry 'em. You must get Moebius. You can argue several Quartz as game best, but Moebius is definitely top 3

Moebius is better if you also take advantage of cooking a lot. I actually did a lot of cooking, but I never bothered with that MQ.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 11, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Moebius is better if you also take advantage of cooking a lot. I actually did a lot of cooking, but I never bothered with that MQ.

It has good, balanced stats, so with Mistral/Iron(in this game)/Raven being absolute trash, and Canon being trash on the guy who comes with it, it's an arguably decent quartz to toss on a character even if you don't really use items.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

It has good, balanced stats, so with Mistral/Iron(in this game)/Raven being absolute trash, and Canon being trash on the guy who comes with it, it's an arguably decent quartz to toss on a character even if you don't really use items.
Raven is really good at maximum power, but until then yeah the abilities and spells on it are not great.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

'Inspect Curios' is significantly better for picking up missable items than it is for picking up random recipe ingredients.

On a mildly unrelated point, unlike Sky, Aerial and other multi-hit spells only hit once for sepith drops. So there's not much point in attempting to combo those together. So really just use Dragon Vein on anyone that casts spells often, generally for attacks (as that's when the second part of it will apply).

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 14, 2019

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

33. Wind Beneath My Wind

Just another long afternoon in the Old CarphouseSchoolhouse.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Moebius Master Quartz is kind of infamous for being kind of eh at first and becoming LOL-broken when mastered. At level 4, it gains a range on item use so you can use buffed items from a distance, but the real jackpot comes at level 5 when it boosts item power even further and gives them an AOE. You get maximum mileage out of it if you cook a lot because several recipes give status buffs in addition to healing, such as STR/DEF/SPD +25% or even Insight or Craft Guard, which you can then apply on your entire team at once, but even without recipes there's no arguing that potentially getting 4 free S-crafts (plus full revives) out of a single Zeram item isn't extremely good. So yeah, Mobius quartz is definitely not lame if you bother levelling it up. Dark Matter is also a really good spell since it's space elemental (very few monsters resist it), is grid-targetted, has a large radius and sucks small enemies towards its center so they're grouped together for additional AOE punishment by your other characters.

Elliot's egg soup actually is pretty amazing because you can use it to grind money. The ingredients needed to cook it cost less money than you get back for selling the finished product. XSeed even acknowledged this exploit by making the achievement icon for getting (I think) a million mira a picture of Elliot with egg soup in his hands. XD

Emma actually has the highest base Ats-stat of the entire roster. It's just that Raven is a Master Quartz for physical bruisers so it's got a really low Ats bonus compared to the MQ Emma starts out with.

Accuracy isn't that needed in Cold Steel 1. (really evasive enemies aren't that common) The 25% boost Rean got from the accessory is probably already sufficient. In CS2, default accuracy got a nerf so hit quartz is essential to avoid frustration especially in the beginning.

Elliot's casual outfit is indeed inexcusably dorky.

The SC and 3rd versions were called Chain Crafts and they were indeed kinda like Rush except the Chain Crafts in Sky came with damage bonuses for characters farther up the chain and critical turn bonuses were applied to all participating members instead of just the character initiating it.

You're not easily get the jump on enemies with Elliot no matter what because his weapon is really sucky for hitting stuff in the back due to the long windup time.

Aeries is kinda okay at first since you don't really get a lot out of it unless you hit really large groups with it. Later on, it also starts restoring EP and mastered it usually gives you unlimited EP as long as you spend it on offensive spells.

In the Trails franchise, the Ribbon accessory equivalent is always called a Grail Locket.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Two hours? Oh boy...
- The cookies were laced with some sort of stimulant. That's not the same thing as saying it's a recreational drug.
- Correct, you only get unique dialogue for the first party you send in to the old schoolhouse. That's why I take in the party I want to explore with first for that, then change for who I want to cook with. Still though, that was a good combination for that scene.
- I got curious and jumped into CS 1 to check out your chosen party here. If you went with your original party, Fie is the only one who hadn't gone into the old schoolhouse, so she gets the line like "I heard about your investigations", which Jusis had in your version. That was the only thing of note, so your cooking group was a lot more interesting with the banter between Machias and Jusis.

On Cooking
- :allears: Oh boy, you haven't even scratched the surface of some of the strange things you can make while cooking.
- One very clever bit of design is that even the "failure" versions of cooked items have some niche use. In fact, some of them can be among the best items in the game or the sequel. No joke.
- Yeah, food is a lot better on higher difficulties, because it both heals you, and cures a status or buffs you, and that helps a lot.

Orbment
- Yeah, it's not a bad idea to spend a lot of sepith on unlocking slots until you know who's going. Hint: Still not Laura!
- Emma's ATS is below 200 there because Raven has a really bad ATS stat.
- The cutoff point for "adequate mage" in Cold Steel is Jusis on the low end. Rean doesn't make the cut.
- Sara doesn't seem to officially designate team leaders on field studies, but I think that the first name in each group is the unofficial leader. Rean is always the first name in group A.
- You’re almost at the point in the game where magic becomes a lot more worthwhile, spells with larger AoE effects start showing up, and special quartz which can restore EP (like Dragon Vein) show up as well.
- The main drawback of Burn, Poison and Confuse status-inflicting quartz is that for them to work, the enemies need to have turns, and ideally, enemies don't get many turns. That makes the first two only okay against bosses, and the third not very good at any time.

Costumes
- Fie’s casual clothes aren’t great, but they sure could be worse. Aidios, they could be worse. They get worse.
- Outfits get worse than Elliot’s. Not so much in this game, but they do get worse.

Dungeon
- Now that you’ve learned Rush, your maximum link level has increased to 5. It must have been capped at 3 until now to prevent grinding.
- Wow, you’re actually pretty close on why Rean could be good at fishing.
- It really sounds like Laura’s is using Elliot’s pain sound instead of her own.
- The time element seems to represent darkness and/or death
- Yeah, the early game spells on Angel aren’t the best, but it makes up for it a lot by the end. The ATS/ADF-boosting Fortuna is the best early spell on Angel, but it needs better other spells or Magic-type S-Crafts or boss battles to shine.
- Oh no, you’re not saving before the bosses? Oh noooooo… You are about to learn the reason why you should always save before fighting a boss.
- You really want to try and get everyone’s CP up before boss fights. It's very helpful for many reasons.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 17, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Burn is actually pretty good in the first game and can do very high amounts of damage on bosses with high HP. They nerfed/capped its damage in the sequel.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Erpy posted:

Emma actually has the highest base Ats-stat of the entire roster. It's just that Raven is a Master Quartz for physical bruisers so it's got a really low Ats bonus compared to the MQ Emma starts out with.

- Emma's ATS is below 200 there because Raven has a really bad ATS stat.

Fair enough, I haven't been paying nearly enough attention to MQ stats. See also: Elliott lagging like 10 turns behind everyone else. I suppose it makes sense they'd matter more as they level up.

- Oh no, you’re not saving before the bosses? Oh noooooo… You are about to learn the reason why you should always save before fighting a boss.

So I don't think I've mentioned this since like the first video, but I actually set the autosave timer really aggressively, to every 5 minutes. Even if we get crushed, it shouldn't take us back too terribly far.

In other news, I finally got a new capture card, so assuming nothing breaks (never a safe assumption), we shouldn't have to deal with OBS's janky-rear end game capture or GFE's hideous audio drift anymore. I don't trust anything with game recording anymore so I can't make any promises, but early tests are showing a huge improvement in framerate, so fingers crossed!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

Fair enough, I haven't been paying nearly enough attention to MQ stats. See also: Elliott lagging like 10 turns behind everyone else. I suppose it makes sense they'd matter more as they level up.

Yeah. Emma is the most powerful in terms of ATS, but she's also got very low SPD. You gave Emma Raven to speed her up, and it definitely is good for base SPD, but I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it for a caster, especially considering that MQ has only 3 arts instead of 5. Emma's low speed is one reason why I like using Alisa as a caster. Alisa has only the third-highest base ATS, but she also has the third-highest base SPD, which makes her tend to get the first turn early in a battle, so the spells can actually get off before the party's physical attackers finish killing everything.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 18, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Raven is a really bad quartz in general. It's good for exactly one purpose. A very important purpose, but there's better ways of getting high speed.

Consider Angel for Emma. Unlike most starter quartz' it's actually pretty good on most people, including it's original owner, but it has some added synergy in that Emma has a revive technique, and if the party wipes, she'll come back with the CP to actually use it. It's also meant to be used on a mage character. Mistral, while lovely, is considerably less lovely on Emma, who might just take a turn throwing out arts anyhow. Or stick Wing on her. Wing is good on anyone.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Yeah, Mistral is inexcusably bad in CS1. Three drat arts, and the last one isn't even the final tier wind art!

They buffed it enough in CS2 (namely, giving it every wind art except for Recuria and making it the wind-elemental reduced delay MQ) that I keep it on Jusis the whole time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fair. I usually wind up giving Jusis Moebius, because Jusis is like, the ultimate definition of a utility character (to the point where he is built more like a traditional RPG protagonist than Rean is, as far as his stat blocks), and that seems like as good as a guy as any to make your item caddy.

They buffed the hell out of Iron (!!!!!) and Raven, too. Didn't save Raven's stats at all, but at least they gave it delay on attack. Just.... not enough.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

Didn't save Raven's stats at all, but at least they gave it delay on attack. Just.... not enough.

The amount matters less than the fact that it's there and acts as one more stack of delay attempts to pierce an enemy's AT Delay resistence.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Erpy posted:

The amount matters less than the fact that it's there and acts as one more stack of delay attempts to pierce an enemy's AT Delay resistence.
I think I said it before, but this is why delay is the best status effect in the game. If any of the procs trigger, they're all cumulative. If you build things right in CS2 you can make one of the characters into an absolute monster with 6 delay procs per attack.

Even in CS1, though, Raven is like I said before alright at maximum level. And no, it's not because of the speed boost. Instead it's for Chrono Burst and the evasion boost.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

As a note, the other reason you were doing less damage to the Hell Rabbits in area 2 was the fact that you forgot to use Motivate. The 25% Str boost is significant. Each boost ended up being an extra 50% damage on the boss, for example.

Totally missed the chance to say "don't be such a drama Rean".

Angel's bonus isn't really the spells, it's the scaling super-revive. Though it does give an acceptable stat bonus as well.

I'm actually surprised the boss went so well for you. Mine's always tended to throw a lot more Devil Beams (and not completely whiff on the full-map sleep attempts).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

Consider Angel for Emma. Unlike most starter quartz' it's actually pretty good on most people, including it's original owner, but it has some added synergy in that Emma has a revive technique, and if the party wipes, she'll come back with the CP to actually use it.

In terms of stats, it will make Emma a little faster and a little less powerful in terms of art strength (compared to some other art-focused MQ), but Emma's base speed is still quite low and Angel alone probably won't improve it very much. Worth playing with to see, I guess.

Much later on, the benefit of Emma's revive craft for potential party-wipe situations is made less important once the art Seraphic Ring becomes available. At that point - and especially if Angel has reached level 5 and received the bonus of fully restores EP after reviving, Angel will be far better on Alisa than Emma thanks to her CP-restoring crafts. Angel gets a buff in CS 2 when the art mentioned above gets added to the MQ's spell list so you don't need to spend an orbment slot on it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
In CS2, though, you can stuff Angel on Elliot, who will do better than Seraphic Ring with a full CP gauge, though.

EDIT
I like giving Alisa Force, personally, for the CP battery reasons.

A thing that's bizarre and great about Cold Steel is the characters who are or seem to be the weakest in plot, Elliot, Machias, and Alisa, are... uh... they're a hell of a lot better than their classmates at just about everything.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 19, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You had me until you said Machias, then I knew you were a lying liar lieface

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I, uh...

Just kept everyone on their base MQ for the whole game. Beat CS1 perfectly fine!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
2 is when you really need to start messing with stuff.

Spoiler, dude + Tauros MQ + Domination Quartz + 200 CP S-Break = Fun times!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You had me until you said Machias, then I knew you were a lying liar lieface

Between Burst Drive and/or basically hitting the entire field with his crafts (either with 3 lines to use status effects, or just giving him Juggler), Machias is the best character in the game. Alisa is the only one with an argument.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

In CS2, though, you can stuff Angel on Elliot, who will do better than Seraphic Ring with a full CP gauge, though.

EDIT
I like giving Alisa Force, personally, for the CP battery reasons.

We were talking about a party wipe, and Elliot's crafts can't get everyone else's CP back up. Or were you referring to his CS2 healing S-Craft? Force is great for restoring CP through killing blows, and I'm skeptical that boosting Alisa's low STR and lowering her high ATS would be good for her killing power. I've found that she can be both a strong mage* and a CP battery, she gets enough turns so that she doesn't have to choose between being one or the other. Stick a (True) Gladiator Belt on her and that's plenty of CP.

*The late-game combination of Angel 5 + Golden Bell + ATS-buffing Fortuna + ADF-debuffing Altair Cannon is spectacularly powerful.

quote:

A thing that's bizarre and great about Cold Steel is the characters who are or seem to be the weakest in plot, Elliot, Machias, and Alisa, are... uh... they're a hell of a lot better than their classmates at just about everything.

Master Quartz really do open up a lot of different possibilities for flexibility.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

2 is when you really need to start messing with stuff.

Spoiler, dude + Tauros MQ + Domination Quartz + 200 CP S-Break = Fun times!

I've been watching an LP of CS 2 and the person put Tauros on the spoiler chararacter (although I'm not sure if we're thinking about the same one), and the results were spectacular. On my first playthrough of CS 2, I found that spoilerCharacter wasn't great because they had no strong single-target crafts. But Tauros's strength really made their damage output soar, and they were fast, so the drawback wasn't a big deal.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The other thing is no one in Cold Steel is bad. One or two characters throw off the curve of what's "good", but no one is egregiously bad at anything, aside from maybe Gaius and Laura at magic, or, like, Fie at HP. No one is far off enough to not fill a niche if you need them to. Equipment and Quartz are most of the battle. I got thru Hard assigning quartz literally at random, and to, I wanna say chapter 6 on nightmare before I started leaning more towards strengths than loving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Look, as one of the blind people here, all I can add to balance chat is this: I play Warframe, and nobody in Cold Steel sucks like Vauban or a pre-rework Wukong. This game is fair.

Also gently caress Vauban. Beefeater motherfucker.