Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Good evening folks.

I'm wondering if there'd be any volunteers to help me track down a puppy.

I have a budget, and a breed picked, and now i just need some help tracking down a breeder that will get me the healthiest pup for my buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

One of the dogs has been stealing toilet paper rolls and then extracting and eating the cardboard tube in the middle. The rest of the roll is only a little messed up. It's incredibly strange and I don't know how he does it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The Bananana posted:

Good evening folks.

I'm wondering if there'd be any volunteers to help me track down a puppy.

I have a budget, and a breed picked, and now i just need some help tracking down a breeder that will get me the healthiest pup for my buck.

Post your breed, general location, and any specific requirements. I love looking at terrible breeder websites.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoodBee posted:

One of the dogs has been stealing toilet paper rolls and then extracting and eating the cardboard tube in the middle. The rest of the roll is only a little messed up. It's incredibly strange and I don't know how he does it.

Oh god my puppy is just now discovering the “magic” of (destroying) paper products.

I pray he does not discover toilet paper.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Post your breed, general location, and any specific requirements. I love looking at terrible breeder websites.

Awesome, thanks!

Looking for a Labrador Retriever, because i am a basic bitch, lol.(also, I grew up with a Lab, and I loved her to death)

Located in Central Texas.

Specific requirements?
I'd like to stay as close to $1000 as possible, without going over.
For that kind of money, I'd like it to be a healthy dog, with good odds against aggressive behavior, or hip problems or bad eyes, etc.
Doesn't have to be champion blood line or anything.
Doesnt need to be an elite hunting companion.
Preference for yellow and charcoal, followed by chocolate, and least preferred is black.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks, but the pups I find in my price range, i don't get very good vibes or answers about the breed health, and the ones that provide excellent data and vibes on the quality of the dog are at $1500 up.

Here is a response I got from a breeder when I asked her some of the questions in the OP:

"Thank you for your interest, however I have decided to place the pup in a home where they were in love with her immediately and wanted to add her to their hearts home and family no questions asked
Other than "when can we get her?"
She's already been named MARGOT and we've received deposit and she will fly out with my nanny to Arizona next Wednesday
Thank you again. Good luck finding the pup of your dreams."

I kinda loled and was sad at the same time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Bananana posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Looking for a Labrador Retriever, because i am a basic bitch, lol.(also, I grew up with a Lab, and I loved her to death)

Specific requirements?
For that kind of money, I'd like it to be a healthy dog, with good odds against aggressive behavior, or hip problems or bad eyes, etc.
Preference for yellow and charcoal, followed by chocolate, and least preferred is black.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks, but the pups I find in my price range, i don't get very good vibes or answers about the breed health, and the ones that provide excellent data and vibes on the quality of the dog are at $1500 up.

Here is a response I got from a breeder when I asked her some of the questions in the OP:

"Thank you for your interest, however I have decided to place the pup in a home where they were in love with her immediately and wanted to add her to their hearts home and family no questions asked
She's already been named MARGOT and we've received deposit and she will fly out with my nanny to Arizona next Wednesday

If you don’t have specific requirements, have you considered rescuing? Adoption fees are half what your budget is, and many rescues are overflowing with lab puppies.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You dodged a bullet with that breeder.

Name and shame!

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 10, 2019

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The Bananana posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Specific requirements?

Wow, this is a harder ask than I expected. I'd agree with contacting lab rescues or service dog schools that might have wash outs because health tested labs are way more expensive than I expected despite the fact that labs are everywhere.

Also I would not trust 99% of people selling charcoal or silver or any off color labs. The dilutes can come with health problems and people breeding specifically for color often overlook more important traits.

Here are some breeders people have recommended, although I'm still poking around. They might not be local to you but they probably ship and might know other breeders in your area. I don't think any meet your price requirement that have listed prices. I know we all as dog folks can get down on bybs but there really needs to be more options for people looking for healthy pet dogs for reasonable prices.

http://desertdawgskennel.com/

https://www.gocheelabs.com/

http://marshmuttmanorlabs.com/

This seems to be the most reasonable one for pet labs
http://www.bartoncreeklabs.com/index.htm

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

The Bananana posted:

Seconding what IJ said about weird lab colors.

I’m in central Texas and I think you’re not going to find many pups for <$1000 from parents with health clearances. You get what you pay for there. I’d also keep in mind that even if you don’t want a show dog or a hunting dog, good lab breeders are generally going to be focused on one or the other. These are going to be dogs with very different temperaments and very different conformation. Which do you want?

If you don’t care about that stuff and also want to spend less for a pup without clearances, consider Lucky Lab Rescue. They take really good care of their dogs and have puppies available pretty frequently.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Instant Jellyfish posted:

service dog schools that might have wash outs

This has always intrigued me. I think if I was set on a lab or a golden retriever I'd probably look into this option. Bonus if the dog has gone a bit into training before washing out.

I'd maybe also look into a failed hunting dog for a pet. I don't need a dog that's not gun shy. I wouldn't go that route as long as I still have cats though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well my puppy just spat out a chewed up wolf spider carcass into my hand so that’s a nice pleasant thing that happened to me today.

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006
I just got a new pup last week. He is 4 months and 2 weeks old. For the first few months of his life, he lived in a farm community with litter mates, relatives, other dogs, and other animals. He was also socialized (frequently brought on trips to the nearby town). I know of the original owners (I briefly lived in that area), and they sent me frequent photos and videos of him interacting with other dogs, playing, basic training, and generally having fun.

In general he comes across as a very curious, happy, and confident dog; however, he is exhibiting signs of aggression against other dogs that (as far as I can tell) is a bit outside of the norm. Specifically if a dog comes within his perceived bubble, he will lay across me or at my feet, growl, bark, and lunge. We did a soft intro with a friend's service labradoodle that included a gentle introduction and a short pack walk. He did become slightly more relaxed over time, but we called it short as he was very stressed. I do expect him to be on the barky side of life, but the aggression surprised me. Other incidents include being generally very anxious or afraid at night (sometimes to the point of being unable to relieve himself), barking/growling when he sees other dogs, or becoming hyper focused on other dogs in the distance. I have many woods around my house so we usually walk the trails and play in the water 2 - 4 hours a day, and his confidence and comfort is definitely growing, but he is still incredibly wary of other dogs.

I found a trainer/behaviorist that is accredited via CCPDT (CBCC-KA). We had a consultation where my dog met him and three of his dogs who basically act as therapy dogs for dogs - two Belgian Malinois and an Akita mix. My dog stood his ground, growled/barked, and lunged at all three (to the other dogs' credit, they really didn't give too much of a drat.) All six of us were able to walk in a large, enclosed area in a circle, but my dog did go after all of them during the circular walk. The Akita gave him a warning when he pushed his luck, and he yelped and jumped back but almost immediately was back in action mode.

The trainer said that he doesn't often see a young dog with this level of confidence/aggression, but that he believes this behavior can be addressed more easily because he is so young. He felt the best course of action was to work with him full time over four days and then we reconvene so that he can work directly with me and my handling of the dog. He said the graduation act would be to see how the dog does in a fairly distracting setting like a farmer's market where there will be plenty of people and other dogs around.

I am a little wary of shaking up his environment so quickly by having him be in a new environment next week -- he is like a little shadow to me and warming up to his home very quickly. I did like that the trainer does not utilize shock/vibration collars, comes across as very interested in the dog's wellbeing, and in general was very patient with all my questions and excited to see how he could help my pup. He also offered that I could drop the pup off in the morning and pick him up in the evening, but that he was likely able to make faster progress if he could intently work solo with the dog for the first few days. As a side-note, this trainer also trains dogs for agility sports. While my pup is far too young for that, it is something I'd like to pursue when he's older, so having a familiar, trusted person who can help us out there would be great.

I am okay if he will never be super dog friendly; he's the type of dog to bond more with other people than dogs anyways. I would like for him to peacefully coexist with other dogs and get a little boost in his confidence so he's not so anxious.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with a younger, dog-aggressive dog? Has anyone worked with a behaviorist for short but intense training sessions to help address these kinds of issues? What can I do to minimize the shock of sending him to another location so quickly after he arrived in mine?

It's not lost on me (or the trainer or the vet or anyone else) that part of his anxiety could just be a new environment he's not used to, so I want to ensure I can make this as easy as an experience I possibly can for him even if its only for a few days.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not going to know more about it than a trained behaviorist, but I will say from my experience that for 2-6 month old pups, it's really important to expose them to more environments and strangers, not fewer. You're almost certainly overestimating the "shock" of sending the dog somewhere new, as a young puppy they'll likely barely notice, and being okay with new environments is absolutely essential to reducing or eliminating aggression/fearfulness later in life. This is the time to do it, because the older dogs get, the less pliable they are in responding to new stimuli and the more likely it will go badly.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Specific requirements?

Please don't get a chocolate lab unless you're going to work it. I have met so many chocolate labs that have too much energy and the owners don't know what to do with them because they don't work/exercise them. If I were to get a lab it would English yellow/black lab or an American black lab. Like everyone else said don't trust getting off color labs. I have seen a lot of silver labs that have health issues. YMMV depending on area too though.

This is just from personal experience. I have worked in a day care environment for the past 5 years and labs are one of the most popular dogs so there are a lot of people breeding just for money.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My black lab has a lot of energy and I know people said chocolate labs were worse

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My sister had a chocolate lab and didn't really know what she was in for. She had no idea how to own a working breed ... Lack of exercise, She over fed it of course so it was fat but still had tons of energy. Also got left home alone a lot and developed separation anxiety.

It jumped through several screen windows and two glass windows. She chewed completely through a baby gate. She was a sweet dog but my sister had no idea what she was in for. 85lbs of muscle and low range 4 wheel drive in a dog that wanted to hunt and run is a lot to handle for anybody. I grew up with hunting dogs, mostly pointers, and labs are ... special. They are sweet oafy dogs and not always the brightest of the bunch but they are very lovable. They just need a lot of exercise and a strict diet as most are overweight.

gently caress that tail was a weapon too. Can't tell you how many drinking glasses it knocked off the coffee table.

If you really want a lab, consider doing nose work with them to mentally wear them out and challenge them. 30 mind of nose work is like an hour at the park.

Labs are great but they can age pretty bad, mostly hips and joints due to their size. Definitely use a breeder that has done health screens on every mating pair for hips. Avoid any that doesn't screen and is eager to show you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah hip dysplasia and other issues in the hind quarters are common.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
My yellow lab is from hunting/sporty lines but much chiller than most other labs I've ever seen, so yellow may indeed be a better bet. I was really expecting a high-energy dog and she's, uh... She's not that. Incredibly biddable and people-focused, though. And she's got the retrieving part down, if her ability to amble up to some bushes or undergrowth and whip out a critter carcass like a goddamn magician with a hat is any indication.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Well then I'm gonna wait on the puppy for now, and aave up until i can afford the right, healthy pup.

Thank you folks in here for the tips and help. :)

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Any thoughts on integrating a kitten into a dog household? A former classmate of mine contacted me; her dad found a stray six-week-old male kitten that's in need of a home. I've asked around and my social circle is either full up, allergic, or doesn't have any leads. We recently lost one of our our two cats; the surviving one is incredibly social and affection-loving, and it's evident he's missing his feline brother. I'm not terribly worried about him; he's never known a stranger and has always been very comfortable around other cats. We just got a two-year-old dog in June (the first one I've ever lived with)--she and our current cat are (slowly) warming to each other. The dog, for her part, is interested in/excited about the cat--there's not a hint of aggression--but the cat's still a bit skittish when the dog approaches at a trot or comes by for a sniff. They'll get there as they learn to speak each other's languages, but it's slightly slow going. I'm not sure if bringing a kitten in would be better or worse--if the kitten would more malleable (basically, having the dog around would just be his normal), or if we should hold out for a more assertive adult cat down the line.

Regardless, if he does have to go to a shelter, I think we'll pay for meds, fixing, etc. in memory of our recently passed kitty.

(cross-posted to the cat thread as well)

JaneError fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 15, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
to round out the fun of "my puppy is now a shithead teenager dog" she's now trying poo poo like #occupybed and #occupycouch and barking at us if she wants up and we tell her no (we always tell her no)

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

BraveUlysses posted:

to round out the fun of "my puppy is now a shithead teenager dog" she's now trying poo poo like #occupybed and #occupycouch and barking at us if she wants up and we tell her no (we always tell her no)

Ha. We've been teaching "paws off without an invitation" for the couches, bed, etc, and our pup was doing great at that until 8 1/2 months. Now it's all sullen glances all the time when we enforce that rule.

The good news is that I took her to a groomer, warned them that she'd freaked out the last time someone did her nails, and asked them to just get through as much of the grooming package as they could without stressing her out. When I picked her up, she was super relaxed and the groomer told me that she'd been easy to work with and handled everything, including the dryer and nail grinder, without any fuss. So suck it, bad vet groomer. My puppy isn't horrible; you are.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
We're about to add a Goldendoodle puppy (~8wks) and have a 8mo Maltipoo.
Luckily we're able to divide our house so that the new puppy is in a completely separate area from our current dog so we were planning to keep the puppy separate for a few weeks while we work on its crate training and so on.
Then we'll introduce them to one another on neutral ground to see how they interact.
Set up a gate with the rest of the house so both dogs can see each other but not be in contact depending on how the initial meet goes. (I assume we should do the neutral meet-and-greet first rather than just skipping straight to this part?)
Then slowly introduce them to one another and have them spend time together.

Does this seem like a good way to go about it? Our current dog is a bit on the younger side (most recommend the current dog to be at least a year or two) so we want to err on the side of caution in terms of introductions.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We had a black bear hanging around in our garden this morning and Hana is still freaking out about the scent whenever she goes out there...any idea of how long bear scent hangs around?
(She didn't actually see the bear).

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

So I was walking home today and posted outside the doggy daycare place was an ad for rehoming cocker spaniel puppies.. my heart skipped a beat because I always wanted a dog and cocker spaniels are one of the breeds I have been considering.
I have not responded to the ad, and considering
- the ad might be sketchy,
- I live by myself and have an 8 hour workday mon-fri,
- I have a cat,

It probably wouldn't be a good idea..
Seeing pictures of cute puppies got me excited but I'm pretty sure it would be a mistake and now I'm bummed out :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Hey, a long shot maybe but I'm looking for a long sleeve extremely warm jacket for a very cold dog who apparently has pattern balding. A very, very cold little dog.

I'm looking at this one: https://shop.petlife.com/collections/dog-helios/products/dog-helios-thunder-crackle-reflective-dog-jacket

but if anyone has any other recommendations let me know!!

I think we may actually go for this one: https://pomppa.fi/en/tuotteet/toppapomppa/ which looks like it may be better!

lol nevermind it's like, 200 CAD

luscious fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 19, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don’t understand this loving puppy.

He starts picking up on the fact he needs to tell me he has to go outside and go potty. He’s been great about it for days now!

And he just now did a huge pee on the master bed, minutes after I took him out to go potty. I give him treats, I serenade him with praise when he does a good boy potty.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with this puppy.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 19, 2019

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Be patient, and don't be surprised if there are regressions! It took until Teddi was seven months old before he started giving signs that he needed to go out instead of trying to sneak off and hide an accident, and even then there were regressions that were fixed via positive reinforcement up until two weeks ago. He'll get it.

Speaking of getting things: I've been having some pretty good success teaching Teddi new tricks. He's got shake and lay down pretty well. But in the process I...messed up. During each training session I would run him through drills for each command he knew and now instead of doing sit he just...lays down. It's adorable, and mostly serves the same purpose, but now I'm working on re-training him his very first command and hope I don't have to repeat this every time I teach him a new one. :ohdear:

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 19, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As I understand it it's pretty common for dogs to get confused about what you want, and just run through behaviors they know have resulted in rewards in the past. In other words, they learn "authoritative voice and holding a treat in hand means I should do X", rather than "this specific word means I should do X". I believe it can help to add differing gestures or intonations or etc. for different commands, so they have more distinguishers to potentially latch onto.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
second night in a row my dipshit puppy started barking at us at 1030pm when we are trying to go to sleep cause she wants to get on the bed (she's never been allowed on the bed)

she did not stop barking at us untill she jumped up and then back off the bed and slightly injured her paw enough to yelp a bit. she held it up for a bit but was ok to walk on it within a few minutes.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm trying to get the newest dog to sleep in my bed without being an enormous rear end in a top hat about it. It's not playtime, you can't sleep on my pillow, stop chewing holes in my blanket. It probably takes him about 30 minutes to settle down and then he's fine all night.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So my poor doggy has had an ear infection that hasn't cleared up over 5 months with a bunch of vet visits, steroids, various medications, ear drops, cleaner etc so they want to take it a stage further. They said they didn't want to go the full length method of removing the ear canal (which my mother in law had done to one of hers, said it was expensive, and made no difference) but instead will have to rupture her eardrum and do a full deep clean they couldn't do while she's sedated.

I want to go ahead with this, but just curious if anyone else had dealt with it before. They seemed to think it was pretty routine, but everyone I mention it to thinks it's going to make her deaf in one ear so now I'm a little worried. What kind of recovery time did you have, did it do the trick etc? She's a basset hound, so has big silly floppy ears and I really want this to be resolved for her as she's had such a bad time of it all summer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

GoodBee posted:

I'm trying to get the newest dog to sleep in my bed without being an enormous rear end in a top hat about it. It's not playtime, you can't sleep on my pillow, stop chewing holes in my blanket. It probably takes him about 30 minutes to settle down and then he's fine all night.

Hey me too. I've taken him on 4 walks in one day to try and tucker him out but all he does is get hyperactive in bed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Human children do the same thing when they're tired. They know they don't feel right but they don't know that lying down and being quiet is the solution. So far as I know there's not much to be done but wait it out; eventually they'll figure it out.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

He also snores.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

GoodBee posted:

He also snores.

Our dog does this too, and luckily we can both sleep through it. So we mostly find it super adorable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My pup definitely dreams when he sleeps. He starts barking in his sleep but he barks so quietly in real life that it almost sounds like a bubble popping or something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Feeding my dog right before bed usually knocks him right out. But he's not a puppy with a tiny puppy stomach so ymmv

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

So my poor doggy has had an ear infection that hasn't cleared up over 5 months with a bunch of vet visits, steroids, various medications, ear drops, cleaner etc so they want to take it a stage further. They said they didn't want to go the full length method of removing the ear canal (which my mother in law had done to one of hers, said it was expensive, and made no difference) but instead will have to rupture her eardrum and do a full deep clean they couldn't do while she's sedated.

I want to go ahead with this, but just curious if anyone else had dealt with it before. They seemed to think it was pretty routine, but everyone I mention it to thinks it's going to make her deaf in one ear so now I'm a little worried. What kind of recovery time did you have, did it do the trick etc? She's a basset hound, so has big silly floppy ears and I really want this to be resolved for her as she's had such a bad time of it all summer.

IIRC you're in a Floridian hellhole, but one of my bassets just has seasonal issues with allergies, basically from July - Oct. If the symptoms are being treated enough that it isn't a discomfort of life imo see if it's a summer thing and be proactive next year come spring.

Bassets are deaf anyway when sniffing so eh to that concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My newest dog is almost 3 years old and I've had him for a year. He's just too excited about everything. My two girls are only about 4.5 years old but they were always much more chill.