Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If somebody experiences supernatural phenomena, I believe them in the sense that I generally believe that they experienced what they describe as they honestly remember it. Does that mean I believe in gods and ghosts? Nah, poo poo’s whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Bermuda Triangle is only considered so spooky because it's a cross-section of one of the most used shipping lines in the world. Tons of ships and planes go through it, so it stands to reason that a lot of ships and planes go missing in it. They're just there more often and in greater numbers.

also my dad says the philadelphia experiment wasnt real but he has a copy of the book and he worked for the DoD in Philly for 20 years so :tinfoil:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been other incidents where groups of people have reported protracted incidents involving weird creatures, like the 1924 Ape Canyon case where five miners were reportedly stuck defending themselves in a cabin while dozens of enraged ape creatures threw boulders at them all night.
That story is super popular among cryptozoologists but it's a whole bunch of bullshit as far as I'm concerned because it looks like the only miner to later come forwards and share his version of events was a crazy dude who kept changing the details over the years (the story eventually got wilder and more dangerous, the bigfoots got taller and bulkier and the order of events got mixed around) and he claimed he'd been having psychic premonitions of the ape men for years before it happened. From what I can tell he was interviewed in 1966 by Robert Patterson (one of the guys who later shot the infamous bigfoot film in 1967) and I don't even know if Patterson verified that he was actually one of the original guys from the 1924 reports and not just some crazy random guy who latched onto this old urban legend as his 15 minutes of fame.
Some of the original 1924 newspaper articles were some crazy yellow journalism bullshit as well.

The thing about cases like Ape Canyon and the Hopkinsville Goblins is that there's zero evidence that the events happened as the witnesses described so there's no way of telling what actually happened, there's only guesswork and speculation.
Ape Canyon is absolute bullshit and a pretty classic example of a bullshitter spinning bullshit for personal benefit. For the Hopkinsville Goblins, I think the situation is very different. I'm not claiming that if you somehow had the Sutton homestead under video surveillance that it would show what the witnesses reported. In fact, I'd assume that it absolutely would not show what they reported occurring, at least not in total.

What I am saying is that there's contemporary interviews with law enforcement folks who interacted with the family that night, who heard the story directly from them right then, who relate that what the family said in later interviews is what they were saying that night, and that those same law enforcement folks confirmed that the Suttons were shooting out of their house, consistent with their story. I am saying that, regardless of what actually happened in objective physical reality, the people who were at the farmstead that night were truthfully relaying to the best of their ability their subjective sensory experience of what happened.

By all accounts, none of the people who were in the house that night recanted their story, and the most embellishment I can find is that the actual number of creatures appears to have increased and motives were imputed. Initial accounts put it at a small number, with no more than a couple observed together at any given time acting curious, but in later retellings it was a dozen or two laying siege. Most everyone involved hated talking about it, and could have saved themselves a lot of trouble just by saying it was a hoax, but they didn't.

Again, not saying it was aliens or even anything paranormal or otherworldly, just that there's a whole segment of incidents like this where people genuinely report an inexplicable experience, and hoax is a really bad fit.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

theyre probably just raccoons lmao

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's kinda how I feel. Ever since I was a kid, I'd read/watch anything on UFOs, ghosts, cryptids, folklore, you name it. It's annoying to come across something that's obviously been faked or is nothing and is getting played up as proof, like the insistence photographed orbs are anything other than dust/asbestos particles, or the Warrens bullshit.

Orbs have always seemed to me to be the most grasping at straws bullshit. I was also on dial-up looking at hot ghost pix and I was so eager to believe, but come the gently caress on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:same:

Ball lightning scares me still, though.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Sep 18, 2019

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

The Mad Gasser of Mattoon is interesting because it can fall under several categories, depending on who/how much of the story you believe, as is a documented event with many eyewitnesses and police and even FBI involvement. No matter how you spin it though, something unusual happened in Illinois in the 40s.

From Wikipedia-
The first of the 1944 gasser incidents occurred on August 31, 1944. Urban Raef was awakened during the early hours of the morning by a strange odor. He felt nauseated and weak, and suffered from a fit of vomiting. Suspecting that he was suffering from domestic gas poisoning, Raef's wife tried to check the kitchen stove to see if there was a problem with the pilot light, but found that she was partially paralyzed and unable to leave her bed.

The next day, September 1, there was a third reported incident.Mrs. Kearney, reported smelling a strong, sweet odor around 11:00 pm. The odor soon became stronger and she began to lose feeling in her legs. Mrs. Kearney panicked and her calls attracted her sister, Mrs. Ready, who was in the house at the time. The police were contacted, but no evidence of a prowler was found. At around 12:30 am, Bert Kearney, Mrs. Kearney's husband returned home to find an unidentified man hiding close to one of the house's windows. The man fled and Kearney was unable to catch him.

In the days following the Kearney attack, there were half a dozen similar attacks. Beulah Cordes picked up the cloth and smelled it. As soon as she inhaled, she became violently ill. She described the effect as being similar to an electric shock. Her face quickly began to swell, she experienced a burning sensation in her mouth and throat, and began to vomit. As with other victims, she also reported feeling weak and experiencing partial paralysis of her legs. In addition to the cloth, a skeleton key, described as looking "well used," was reportedly found on the sidewalk adjacent to the porch, along with a large, almost empty, tube of lipstick. The cloth was analyzed by the authorities, but they found no chemicals on it that could explain Beulah Cordes' reaction.

The same night a second incident was reported at the home of Mrs. Leonard Burrell. She reported seeing a stranger break in through her bedroom window and then attempt to gas her.

Public concern over the alleged gassings quickly rose, the FBI became involved, and the local police issued a statement calling on residents to avoid lingering in residential areas, and warning that groups set up to patrol for the gasser should be disbanded for reasons of public safety.

- https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Mad_Gasser_of_Mattoon

What happened exactly? Mass hysteria? Toxic waste or pollutants? An actual gasser? I think all three are reasonable, or at least a combination mass hysteria with either pollution or an actual gasser. It was speculated that robbery was the motive, which I think makes a certain amount of sense - spray the occupants with gas and then rob them. Gas isn't really a precision weapon, however, so it didn't work that well as the gasser gave up after a few attempts, but people continued to panic. This was during wartime too, which can put people on edge, especially considering the terror of gas attacks used in the first world war. What I also find interesting is that one of the witnesses said the gasser looked like a woman dressed up as a man.

Of course though some people have said it was an alien, which is just as frustrating as when people say everything is owls. Not everything is an alien you guys.

Still though, don't tell me you wouldn't poo poo yourself if you saw this.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That’s just me when I haven’t had my coffee!!!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Orbs have always seemed to me to be the most grasping at straws bullshit. I was also on dial-up looking at hot ghost pix and I was so eager to believe, but come the gently caress on.

See also rods/skyfish, which only started to be "noticed" after VHS cameras became readily available (because they're an artifact of how cameras, and particularly video cameras, capture insects lit from the foreground)

I kind of miss the 90s cryptid heyday. I've mentioned it before in other threads but grey aliens give me the creeps like how lots of people seem to feel about clowns. I still strongly remember looking at a book about alien abductions and seeing people's drawings of the creatures they believed they saw, and getting a feeling like the pit of my stomach dropping away. It was so strong a reaction that, when I read feeling that way about images of aliens might mean one had been abducted and was repressing the memories, I started to wonder if it might have happened to me. And for a while I locked the windows in my bedroom at night. Y'know, just in case.

I don't believe I was abducted, or that they actually happen. I just think there's a spot in my brain that activates the fight-or-flight reflex that's occupied by this face, just like other people have clowns or snakes or spiders. But to this day I have a soft spot for movies and tv about these little shits. I'm hoping season 2 of Project Blue Book turns out as "ehh, decent" as the first one.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Bogart posted:

The Bermuda Triangle is only considered so spooky because it's a cross-section of one of the most used shipping lines in the world. Tons of ships and planes go through it, so it stands to reason that a lot of ships and planes go missing in it. They're just there more often and in greater numbers.

Exactly. If you look at the stats, no more ships or planes go missing there than you would expect for such a major shipping lane, especially one in the path of hurricanes. A quick scan of Wikipedia tells me that a lot of the disappearances can be explained by pretty mundane means (storms, piracy, planes running out of fuel etc.) and that a lot of the reports suggesting spooky stuff are either fabricated, exaggerated or missing pretty important info. There have been some incidents where nobody knows what happened, but there's plenty of those elsewhere in the world too.

I think Carl Sagan said it best: "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" and that's how I feel about this kind of thing too, although I love a good ghost/conspiracy story. People can truly believe that they experienced something supernatural, but people aren't infallible (I'm certainly not) and someone's story alone frankly isn't enough for me to believe that what they experienced was genuinely supernatural. Of course, skeptics who are dismissive about the whole thing without doing due diligence are annoying too.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that supernatural poo poo and aliens could very well exist, but it's so far outside the realm of typical human experience and all the evidence for it is so vague that we'll probably never know for sure one way or the other, so I don't worry about it much.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
goblin truther azathoth

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Why did I click when I knew what I'd see :sweatdrop:

I have sort of the same visceral reaction to that style of creature face, to the point where I get the heebie-jeebies sometimes if the idea of them pops into my head in the middle of the night, despite my rational mind not believing aliens actually exist in anything like that form, and being pretty doubtful that any extraterrestrial life has actually interacted with earth in any meaningful way. My (totally uninformed, emotion-based) thoughts are that the general face design, the large eyes in particular, might tap into something in our face recognition centers that spooks a lot of peoples' subconscious mind, sort of along the same lines of how vague snake or spider shapes can trigger a phobia like they're linked to a "danger!" warning about some natural predatory threat below the level of conscious thought. Probably complete BS, but that's the feeling I get when I think too much about it and it'd be interesting to find out if anyone has ever analyzed reactions along those lines.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Sep 19, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've read so many books as a kid where there was an illustration of a Grey Alien peeking in someone's window while they were in bed that I still hate looking out my window at night. I'm not afraid of being abducted or whatever, just don't be creepy, alien dudes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

packetmantis posted:

goblin truther azathoth

kentucky moonshine can't melt cave walls

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Phy posted:

And for a while I locked the windows in my bedroom at night. Y'know, just in case.

Uh, I still do that. I had terrifying nightmares as a kid and still have a stupid artist's overactive imagination. My mind is always doing the, "Okay so we know monsters don't exist but your yard is unlit woods and fog and hey what's that shadow by those trees over there..."

Probably doesn't help that there aren't curtains yet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/enterta...-560681571.html

Atlantean flying orb spotted.

hate hoot
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone heard of the [url="https:////www.themandus.org"]Neanderthal Predation[/url] theory? I'll let Danny Vendramini explain:

quote:

NP theory reveals that Eurasian Neanderthals hunted, killed and cannibalized early humans for 50,000 years in an area of the Middle East known as the Mediterranean Levant.

Because the two species were sexually compatible, Eurasian Neanderthals also abducted and raped human females.

Them and Us cites new evidence from archaeology and genetics to demonstrate that this prolonged period of cannibalistic and sexual predation began about 100,000 years ago and that by 50,000 years ago, the human population in the Levant was reduced to as few as 50 individuals.

The death toll from Neanderthal predation generated the selection pressure that transformed the tiny survivor population of early humans into modern humans.

This Levantine group became the founding population of all humans living today. NP theory argues that modern human physiology, sexuality, aggression, propensity for inter-group violence and human nature all emerged as a direct consequence of systematic long-term dietary and sexual predation by Eurasian Neanderthals

Please note I am not actually promoting this theory as there's a lot of reason to think it's ultimately just crazy evopsych racism, but I just can't get enough of weird anthropological/prehistoric theories. See also: Lloyd deMause and "early infanticidal childrearing" but only go deeper if you want your day ruined.

e: The real mystery is why I can't figure out how to make a hyperlink :(

hate hoot has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Sep 20, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

hate hoot posted:

e: The real mystery is why I can't figure out how to make a hyperlink :(
it's BBCode. No quotation marks needed on URLs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phy posted:

I kind of miss the 90s cryptid heyday. I've mentioned it before in other threads but grey aliens give me the creeps like how lots of people seem to feel about clowns. I still strongly remember looking at a book about alien abductions and seeing people's drawings of the creatures they believed they saw, and getting a feeling like the pit of my stomach dropping away.

I'm okay with Greys but I remember some random freaky alien image in some 'Mysteries of the World' book that gave me a similar feeling when I was a kid.

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What happened exactly? Mass hysteria? Toxic waste or pollutants? An actual gasser?

Mass hysteria is goddamn crazy and can lead to some bizarre events. The Popobawa is an evil spirit/demon/shapeshifter which has been terrorizing Tanzania sporadically since the 1960s but reached a peak in 1995. The spirit allegedly breaking into houses and sodomizes victims and the panic was so widespread that households would sit around a fire outside all night trying to stay awake. One weird aspect of the case is that the Popobawa hysteria seems to coincide with the election cycles.
Many of the Popobawa stories have a lot in common with stories about sleep paralysis and when you combine that with mass hysteria you get a 70 year rampage of an assfucking demon.

The hysteria around Chupacabras seems to have spread in a similar way, the difference being that in this case investigators tracked the origin of the story to a woman called Madelyne Tolentino in Puerto Rico who claimed to see a Chupacabra in August 1995 (after an earlier case where some animals were mysteriously killed and reportedly drained of blood in March that year) and got to question her. They figured out that her description of the creature was remarkably similar to the character Sil in the 1995 scifi film Species which Madelyne had seen earlier in the year and she believed that the events she'd seen in the film were happening in real life.

There's a second kind of Chupacabra that got reported on the North American mainland for a while which always turned out to be coyotes with mange, and there's a whole bunch of similar cases of perfectly normal animals with the fur missing or whatever causing a ruckus because people didn't recognise them and refused to believe they weren't a weird monster. The Montauk Monster was a big one, it turned out the be a partially decomposed racoon which had lost all it fur.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Sep 19, 2019

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Greys look like skulls. The large, dark eyes and pale skin are basically all your dumbass monkey brain needs to think that you're looking at a human skull and you need to get out of there right now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I get what you're saying, although I don't get nearly as creeped out by actual skulls

Back to actual sort-of-cryptids, how about the upas tree? Its sap is poisonous, and it is used where it grows to make poison arrows, but somehow legends grew up around it in the west that it was so astoundingly poisonous that no man could reach its trunk and live, or even that no animal life could exist around it for fifteen miles.

Its fruit is edible!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love that aliens are the new fairies/leprechauns/goblins. There's just something so interesting about the fact that humans aren't that creative about things to scare us (its always something that's kind of human but not/a weird take on a predator/something that is more clever than us/something super-duper big/etc), but we're super inventive about things that could help us.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's just something so interesting about the fact that humans aren't that creative about things to scare us

I was thinking about this the other day, mostly because in scary movies/TV shows/games the monster itself is always kinda the same thing, or at least it seems like there's been nothing new under the sun in a long time. It's usually some variation of

1-spooky thin, possibly with greasy hair and ill fitting clothes.

2-red eyed demon thing with big teeth/claws.

3-large man with blank face

4-some kinda hosed up corpse

5-animal but big

6-Lovecraft old one.

Most cryptids fall into one of these categories. It's hard to come up with a scary creature that hasn't been done before. I mean, the reason Lovecraft is such a big deal is because he kinda invented a new kind of monster, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been a long time since someone came up with something new. The only thing I can think of that's 'new' is killer robot/AI, and that has already been done to death in the forty years or so we've had that as a concept.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
so like, what's the general reasoning behind the x-files/cryptid/conspiracy/etc stuff being so popular in the 90s?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Ralph Crammed In posted:

1-spooky thin, possibly with greasy hair and ill fitting clothes.

3-large man with blank face

4-some kinda hosed up corpse

My co-workers ladies and gentlemen

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Back in around 1880 or so some hillbillies stumbled into a spooky cave complete with Lovecraftian obelisks made of a material unknown to man. :ohno:
https://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radoz.html

quote:

One red and gold November day, thirty-three years ago, three Missouri "hill billies" followed their yelping "hound-dog" up a deep mountain canyon in Barry County, Missouri. They were on the trail of a wildcat. When the canyon came to an end, blocked by the face of a rocky cliff, the cat disappeared in the black mouth of an unsuspected cave. The hound followed, the hunters waiting outside, their rifles ready. Fifteen minutes later the bay of the dog was heard on the top of the cliff. Plainly the big hole ran clear through the mountain. The hound was whistled down and sent through a second time. Then the four hunters prepared to explore the cavern on their own account.

What followed would, in the days of mythology, have added half a dozen monsters to the ranks of the supernatural enemies of mankind. The story is told by old "Bill" Boyceyer, one of the hunters who, after more than thirty years, is now living at Chance, Oklahoma. The events of that November day made such an impression on his mind, that, in an affidavit made last March, he is able to recall them in vivid detail.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kanine posted:

so like, what's the general reasoning behind the x-files/cryptid/conspiracy/etc stuff being so popular in the 90s?

Some time around the early 2000's, people became more terrified of other people attacking them than unknown creatures.

And besides 9/11 breaking everyone's brain, you have the fact that everyone has cellphone cameras, security systems with cameras outside their house, etc. Plus the internet is more widespread than it was in the 90's, our brains are more occupied. If someone does see something they can't explain, the first thing they'll probably do is post it on Facebook where people will just reply, "That's an owl, you idiot."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Azathoth posted:

kentucky moonshine can't melt cave walls

It can if you distill it right!

Kanine posted:

I’m guessing it was a combination of old government projects being subject to theFreedom of Information Act, speculation about what they were still hiding or lying about, and low-res home video cameras recording to a low-res medium to be played on low-res screens. It’s easier to see an UFO when it’s just a blurry mass of a dozen or so pixels on your tv and vcr combo.

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Sep 19, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why did I click when I knew what I'd see :sweatdrop:

I have sort of the same visceral reaction to that style of creature face, to the point where I get the heebie-jeebies sometimes if the idea of them pops into my head in the middle of the night, despite my rational mind not believing aliens actually exist in anything like that form, and being pretty doubtful that any extraterrestrial life has actually interacted with earth in any meaningful way. My (totally uninformed, emotion-based) thoughts are that the general face design, the large eyes in particular, might tap into something in our face recognition centers that spooks a lot of peoples' subconscious mind, sort of along the same lines of how vague snake or spider shapes can trigger a phobia like they're linked to a "danger!" warning about some natural predatory threat below the level of conscious thought. Probably complete BS, but that's the feeling I get when I think too much about it and it'd be interesting to find out if anyone has ever analyzed reactions along those lines.

there's this book called They Know Us Better Than We Know Ourselves which is a sociological exploration of alien abduction narratives. the author interviews a bunch of people who claim to have been abducted and, just taking their stories at face value without a concern for if they factually happened or not, tries to understand the common threads and cultural anxieties expressed by abduction narratives

tldr alien abduction is really about people feeling disconnected and, uh, alienated from modern society in which the individual lacks control of their own life in the face of great technological processes they don't understand. the common description of gray aliens has many common traits with infant/child humans but are still a monstrous other, this combined with the regular reporting of bodily invasion and experimentation on humans for sexual/reproductive purposes speaks to a deep fear of loss of control around pregnancy, birth, and raising children

Kanine posted:

i think it's the tail end of new age philosophy as a popular movement getting sour in older age, and then a bunch of media properties jumping on the bandwagon for profit. the 80s were generally an alternative spiritual time but in a darker sense than age of aquarius optimism in the 70s. people wanted mystery and unorthodox narratives and so cryptids, psychics, all that poo poo got popular for a while

kind of like how awareness of globalism and fear of invasion by not-us people in the 2000s eventually turned into zombie invasion narratives (zombies can be terrorists or immigrants, depending) and then everyone decided to cash in on the zombie trend which is pretty played out now

and in the 1970s slashers were the monsters of the day, replacing 1950s monsters (fear of cold war weapons and science) because in the 1970s mass television media reporting and better police investigative techniques let people realize that serial killers exist, and there are a lot of them

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Sep 19, 2019

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kanine posted:

Whitley Strieber's Communion coming out in 1987 was a real watershed moment for UFO and conspiracy culture. It showed that there was a big potential market for woo woo alien stuff, while simultaneously transitioning UFO culture from these incredibly detailed accounts of alien race taxonomy and extraterrestrial politics to the more characteristic "I had a whole bunch of weird poo poo happen to me and I don't know what it means" high strangeness that was popular in the 90s.

I mean, putting UFOs and crypids aside, the final report for the House of Representatives investigation into the Kennedy assassination wasn't issued until 1979, more than a decade after the assassination itself. Oliver Stone's JFK came out in 91 and reflects a well-developed conspiracy culture that couldn't help but cross-pollinate with UFO culture.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Take this with a very big grain of salt, but I think I read somewhere that part of the rise of conspiracy/UFO culture was to do with the end of the Cold War and the fall of the USSR which left the USA as the only superpower in the world. With that threat over and nothing to replace it (until 9/11 of course) aliens and the government became kind of natural antagonists in a lot of popular culture.

Makes sense to me, although I'm very dubious about how major a factor that was.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

LifeLynx posted:

Some time around the early 2000's, people became more terrified of other people attacking them than unknown creatures.

And besides 9/11 breaking everyone's brain, you have the fact that everyone has cellphone cameras, security systems with cameras outside their house, etc. Plus the internet is more widespread than it was in the 90's, our brains are more occupied. If someone does see something they can't explain, the first thing they'll probably do is post it on Facebook where people will just reply, "That's an owl, you idiot."

I like this take. I mean really, it was because of the internet. Now we can google weird poo poo and find out it's fake. Back then we couldn't so it seemed cooler. Also Art Bell was great when you were high and/or playing Ultima Online.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Croatoan posted:

I like this take. I mean really, it was because of the internet. Now we can google weird poo poo and find out it's fake. Back then we couldn't so it seemed cooler. Also Art Bell was great when you were high and/or playing Ultima Online.

I'd say the Internet was a major factor in true believers finding others to talk to and start heavy theorycrafting. Before the Internet it was limited to what small press magazines mailing lists and whatever gatherings they could pull together.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

luxury handset posted:

i think it's the tail end of new age philosophy as a popular movement getting sour in older age, and then a bunch of media properties jumping on the bandwagon for profit. the 80s were generally an alternative spiritual time but in a darker sense than age of aquarius optimism in the 70s. people wanted mystery and unorthodox narratives and so cryptids, psychics, all that poo poo got popular for a while

kind of like how awareness of globalism and fear of invasion by not-us people in the 2000s eventually turned into zombie invasion narratives (zombies can be terrorists or immigrants, depending) and then everyone decided to cash in on the zombie trend which is pretty played out now

and in the 1970s slashers were the monsters of the day, replacing 1950s monsters (fear of cold war weapons and science) because in the 1970s mass television media reporting and better police investigative techniques let people realize that serial killers exist, and there are a lot of them

I also feel that the bigfoot craze (which grew out of the 50s abominable snowman craze) is at least partially a holdover of the 1930s King Kong "giant brutish monsters are out there somewhere and they're going to come here and gently caress you up and take your women unless you make a stand" genre bubble which was uhhhhhh at least somewhat racially motivated, which definitely reflects the cultural anxieties of the time.

King Kong was violently snatched from his homeland and transported to America in chains in the hold of a ship and then forced into a submissive life at the whim of US citizens, now he's cast off his shackles and is loose in our city and no one is safe!! What could this possibly be a metaphor for????

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, obviously you're not a golfer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Of course there's also been a bunch of times where people have spotted a bizarre animal on the loose in their area and it turned out to be real:
Prowling tiger shot in Atlanta
Wallaby filmed in Dorset woman's garden
Etc etc ..

A report about a black panther on the prowl has finally turned out to be real! An illegally owned panther cub in France escaped while the owner was on holiday and wandered about on a rooftop for about an hour before the authorities tranquilized it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like the Michigan Dogman. It's your pretty standard werewolf style creature, but this one has a catchy little song to go along with it (and which seems to be where all the stories come from). The line about "a dog man looking in, and grinning" is absolutely what gets me though. I've been freaked out by the idea of looking up one night to see a grinning dog-head at the window long before I heard about it.

My favourite cryptid is probably the chupacabra. I love that little dude.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

catlord posted:

My favourite cryptid is probably the chupacabra. I love that little dude.

I like Chupes for a couple reasons, (a) fondly remembering my mid-90s naivete in blindly accepting everything related I heard on the radio, and (b) returning to that level of creeped out a decade later when one of my Puerto Rican friends told me all the weird stuff that went down on her grandparents' farm back then. Like, I don't actually believe in a creepy cryptid goat killer, but they did, and it's not all that bizarre a conclusion to draw if enough animals get murdered/skinned/drained/etc :iiam:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

When I was a little kid I watched a tv program that mentioned flying rods (like History Channel hyped up 'documentary' style) and I was 100% convinced they were real, I was surrounded by invisible flying things going so fast I couldn't see them, and that night I had a crying meltdown because I thought flying rods were going to run into me. My mom couldn't convince me they weren't real so eventually she said that they'd never run into me before so clearly they could avoid me, and that sounded sensible to me so I calmed down.

It was very silly but I have a soft spot for flying rods especially because the explanation for them is so simple in retrospect. Oh, cameras got faster but not as fast as they'd eventually be! Okay! Bugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

catlord posted:

I like the Michigan Dogman. It's your pretty standard werewolf style creature, but this one has a catchy little song to go along with it (and which seems to be where all the stories come from). The line about "a dog man looking in, and grinning" is absolutely what gets me though. I've been freaked out by the idea of looking up one night to see a grinning dog-head at the window long before I heard about it.

Some of the images in that Dogman music video come from the "Gable film" of a weird shaggy creature galloping about on four legs in a forest, which was allegedly filmed in the 70s and discovered by an anonymous source in an estate sale. The first three minutes of the film is just random home video footage, the monster stuff is right at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfmoGZRZMA

Here's the footage stabilized:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ55SOBbHv8

It's just a guy in a ghillie suit on all fours, it was faked by a guy called Mike Agrusa in 2007, edited into some old home movies and released online where it went viral.

There's also been a few 'photos' of dogmen (dogsman? dogmans?) taken at various locations, such as the infamous "Beast Of Seven Chutes" photo:

This photo has been discussed and pored over and recreated and 'enhanced' by a huge number of people

In my opinion, the object shown in the photo is ............ nothing at all. It's just random rocks and branches and darker gaps between them photographed at an angle where it sort've looks like it might be some sort of creature. It's just pareidolia, that part of your brain that makes you see faces in woodgrain patterns and made you imagine that the pile of clothes on a chair in your bedroom looked like a monster when the lights went out when you were a kid.

Edit: there's a ridiculous number of "bigfoot photos" which are really really really really obviously just random forest shapes

There's a bunch of armchair bigfoot hunters who go through other people's youtube videos frame by frame and try to find photos exactly like these where they can 'see' bigfoots peering out from the forest in the background, it's honestly pretty weird and sad

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Sep 27, 2019