Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TacoNight posted:

Is "Syr" pronounced the same as "sir"? Not sure how else to pronounce it, so I'll just be calling everyone "sir so-and-so", which just sounds like using the male form of a gendered word as the default. Not great.

It's "sear" like a steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's "sear" like a steak.
:ok:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Look if some grognard at my LGS can pronounce "surveil" like "servile" then I'm sure you can get away with just going hogwild with this one. People will figure it out. There was a guy who used to refer to Vulshok Morningstar as "ole Lucifer" no matter how many confused looks he got. The sky is the limit.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 20, 2019

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

lovestruck beast gettin horny for dwarves

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's pronounced the same, the entire point is that it's a gender neutral term (and they don't have to arbitrarily enforce the gender binary by using 'dame' either)

If none of the named syrs are nonbinary then it's sort of a missed opportunity imo

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

ungulateman posted:

It's pronounced the same, the entire point is that it's a gender neutral term (and they don't have to arbitrarily enforce the gender binary by using 'dame' either)

If none of the named syrs are nonbinary then it's sort of a missed opportunity imo
I mean... how would you tell? It's not like they're putting the female knights in pink boobplate.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Putting a bunch of Dame cards in would have slayed back in 2004.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Did they spoil what makes the fukkin mice yet

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah it's the pumpkin car

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah it's the pumpkin car

http://www.mythicspoiler.com/ted/cards/enchantedcarriage.html

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Tibalt posted:

I mean... how would you tell? It's not like they're putting the female knights in pink boobplate.

same way you can tell alesha is a trans woman?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

dragon enthusiast posted:

lovestruck beast gettin horny for dwarves

as he should

e: i'm assuming they went with "syr" to head off exactly this argument - pedantic nerds can't point at it and go "BUT IT'S DAME IF THEY'RE WOMEN" without wizards going "no no no this is a FANTASY title we made up that just sounds exactly like the real one".

(imo this is the coward's way out and they should have just used sir but with how bad nerd outrage on the internet is these days i don't blame them for dodging the issue)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ungulateman posted:

:yeah:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I drafted a Gargos. It's a mediocre BG deck until it draws Gargos, and then the game just ends.

It's messed up.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

ungulateman posted:

same way you can tell alesha is a trans woman?
I didn't realize Alesha was a trans woman until the article came out.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I wonder if Green will get another potentially playable adventure. It seems like all the other colors are better at it in constructed.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tibalt posted:

I didn't realize Alesha was a trans woman until the article came out.

I kind of like that, though? Not necessarily that her identity is kind of obscure unless you know her story, but more the way she's presented as a character for those who choose to read into her.

Her card isn't about her being trans, it's representative of her being a powerful khan whose army killed 6 dragons. Her story doesn't even necessarily revolve around her being trans-- it's simply the identity she claims. She knows who she is, and she confidently holds a deathgrip on that identity, impossible to shake. The story is more about identity in general-- knowing yourself and having the confidence in yourself to proudly claim it to all who can hear. The orc that fights alongside her in the battle mocks her as "a boy that thinks he's a woman" and, completely unfazed, she flips it around on him at the end of the battle. The orc is unable to claim a war name, an identity, for himself despite Alesha and other Mardu allies sharing the heroic acts they witnessed him perform. He lacks the confidence and does not know himself enough to claim an identity for himself, and Alesha shows that she knows herself, with full confidence, and proudly claims her identity. "Know who you are, and claim it." Everyone knows who he is, but he does not know himself as well as his allies do, which speaks a lot of him as a nameless character.

Alesha is trans, but that isn't her primary trait and the story does not make it so. She's a strong, confident warrior and leader and the story shines the spotlight on that more than her gender. I feel that's a cool way to write a trans character into the story without making their gender identity and the story behind it more important than all of the traits that makes them the character who they are. I feel like I've seen a lot of stories (in general) try to write representation of an identity either shoehorn the details in as an "oh by the way" thing to the point that it's irrelevant, or hamfist the details to make everything about the character about their gender/sexuality/etc and nothing else (which is fine if that's the point of the story, but it's kind of dumb if that's not what the overall story is about?), which undermines who they are and can be as a character and reduces them to a single trait. Alesha's story does a good job of finding a good balance. She is Alesha, like her grandmother before her, who Smiles at Death.

alesha's really cool and i've always liked the way her story was written ok
(i swear i'll get around to making an edh deck for her someday, i've wanted to for quite some time)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 20, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Best post in this thread yet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Did she ever answer the question? I really want to know who smiles at death.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I wonder if Green will get another potentially playable adventure. It seems like all the other colors are better at it in constructed.
Lovestruck Beast will probably see play, as will Beanstalk Giant

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Simic flash and simic/Sultai/bant ramp are all likely to be decks post rotation

Green will be fine

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If historic takes off I could think Lovestruck Beast will get played in a Ghalta deck?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just lol if your plan for Mystic Sanctuary is just to put Terminus on top of your library.

Counterbalance, baby.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Hellsau posted:

We’ll find out after Nissa tells us who shakes the world.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Galaxy brain: use your own gird for battle to put a counter on their 1/1 to turn off Beast's hebephilia condition.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Sorin, what keeps mankind alive

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Hellsau posted:

Everybody, because when you are a skeleton you'll always be smiling!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

MikeCrotch posted:

Simic flash and simic/Sultai/bant ramp are all likely to be decks post rotation

Green will be fine

All the ramp decks are just field of the dead variants right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

All the ramp decks are just field of the dead variants right?

No, the ramp decks are Nissa/Hydroid Krasis packages.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hah, I just remembered that they're printing a better Terramorphic Expanse in this set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

These are weak poo poo questions.

I'm still trying to understand what exactly was taken in 2005.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Alright the arena decklists podcast has convinced me, Cauldron of Eternity is good as hell

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
when are the phyrexians coming back

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Full set spoiler is out

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/throne-eldraine

Seems like a good limited common

Tainen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 20, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

god drat the card names this set

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

god drat the card names this set

This Better Cancel gave me fond memories of big multiplayer games in 1999 where we allowed a light smattering of silver border cards and I got a lot of mileage out of Common Courtesy.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 20, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The "Syr" thing is just a Game of Thrones. I think the non-gendered thing is good, but it probably happened as a result of wanting to capture Game of Thrones hype, which was still very popular and loved when the set was being developed. You can even see it in the names of the legendary Knights, which also follow the Game of Thones convention of "real name, but ~fantasy~". There's even a character named Ayara which is about as close but legally distinct you can get to Arya.

I'm sad spoiler season is over, I just want them to keep revealing cards so I can get the references. The Frozen one is cool as hell, my step-daughter is going to love it. Also, cute story: she forgot the name for "the graveyard", so she told me, "I was playing Magic by myself, and I forgot which cards go to the garbage... I mean card heaven." Going to be calling it Card Heaven from now on.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

I'm sad spoiler season is over, I just want them to keep revealing cards so I can get the references. The Frozen one is cool as hell, my step-daughter is going to love it. Also, cute story: she forgot the name for "the graveyard", so she told me, "I was playing Magic by myself, and I forgot which cards go to the garbage... I mean card heaven." Going to be calling it Card Heaven from now on.

:3:

Magic with one's little daughter is rad as hell.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone asked maro on his blog why they used Syr instead of Ser, and he outright said "Other IPs have used Ser, so we ripped it off without using the exact spelling."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

:3:

Magic with one's little daughter is rad as hell.

I'm sad I'm missing the 2HG prerelease due to a family dinner, because I was going to play 2HG with my fiance and let the kid "help".