Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Cena's feud with KO springboarded KO onto the main roster and helped make him the star he deserved to be.

This is a testament to how good KO is too since that feud was supposed to at the end bury him. If he were wrestling anywhere but WWE he'd have made my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If this was "top ten best active wrestlers" this list would be very different but I'm going to use this to talk about wrestlers who I get the most invested in. I'll include promotions as well because why not and I'll probably be very wordy on explanations. I have a feeling that I might name people that no one else will but that's the charm of these lists!

1. Utami Hayashishita (Stardom): It was her run in the 5 Star last year that instantly made me a big fan and she's been my favourite ever since. Her first match ever against Jungle Kyona was a genuinely great match and since then she's had one of the best debut years in wrestling history with a great 5 Star fun; a nice Tag Title reign with Momo Watanabe and topped off with a great pair of singles belt challenges against Momo Watanabe in April (my Stardom match of the year; the stream died mid match right at the pivotal moment live but on rewatch it was incredible) and Bea Priestley last month. Still room to improve - could be a little more firey and intense - but who in wrestling has been fully there in a year?

2. Mikoto Shindo (Marvelous): Another rookie who debuted last August; bit of a theme going on here. Shindo is very different to Utami: while Utami got a super rookie push, wins over meaningful wrestlers and a decent tag title run Shindo is a proper rookie: she beats other rookies and loses to the veterans - although that was still enough to take her to the Sendai Girls World Junior Championship in June. She also only has a rookie moveset; although recently she's added to that with a few springboard moves to compliment the typical Joshi rookie grappling, dropkicks and basic submissions. The thing that all three of this group of Marvelous rookies has and Shindo in particular is that from day 1 they instantly got Pro Wrestling: massive amounts of fire, loads of charisma despite being a rookie doing a rookie gimmick with a rookie moveset; and instantly the crowds got behind them: in her third ever match against company ace Takumi Iroha the crowd bought into Shindo winning with cradles and sunset flips and all sorts of things that everyone knew wasn't possible: that's how good she was instantly. A future star if she remains healthy; and someone that its always a joy to see wrestle.

3. Sareee (Diana): Recent news has made me a little down on her future but I can't keep the person that I think is the Wrestling of the Year off this list: she's had an incredible in-ring year with the highlight being a bunch of matches in Sendai Girls with Meiko Satomura (my current match of the year); Chihiro Hashimoto and DASH Chisako plus a pair of matches against Aja Kong in Diana that were reportedly fantastic but, well, its Diana so we'll never see them. Someone who I'm picking purely on match quality over emotional investment: I go out of my way to watch her matches because they're always fantastic

4. Lulupencil (Gatoh Move): Lulupencil is the perfect example of someone that I could never put on a "good wrestler" list but who I really really enjoy watching. She's one of the recent crop of Gatoh Move rookies that debuted last month (with a few exhibition matches first to introduce them a little bit) and while there are others on that list who're better technical wrestlers: Lulupencil was the one that instantly everyone fell in love with. Her story is that she's a freelance journalist who wasn't physically active at all before joining DareJyo; the Gatoh Move-affiliated pubically open training school designed for ordinary women to learn how to do wrestling just for fun: no pressure to go into it professionally; no test to past: just a fun class that might lead to something. Lulupencil's first exhibition match had her lose basically a three-minute Ironman match 8-0 and while she's improved from there her first win is a long way off and that's good; I want it to mean something when she gets there. The reason why she's high on this list is that disregarding the fact that perhaps on a pure technical level she's... not great: she has top tier comic timing for someone who's wrestled two proper matches: and genuinely when I see one of her matches pop up on Gatoh Move's youtube channel its a nice little thing that makes the day better and that's what I want with wrestling.

5. Jamie Hayter (UK indies/Stardom): Jamie is someone who I think in the last year has gotten a lot more noticed from outside the little UK women's wrestling bubble due to Stardom and being prominently featured on EVE shows, initially as their 1B heel behind Nina Samuels before turning Face to fill the gap left by Charlie Morgan before she announced her retirement. Someone with masses of charisma both in and out the ring; who can work a wide range of opponents and both Heel and Face; she's been someone that its been great to watch in the last year. Highlight of the year was a very good match in Stardom against Momo Watanabe in February where she worked with masses of aggression.

6. Takumi Iroha (Marvelous): Chigusa Nagayo handpicked her to be the Ace of her new company when she was only a random mid-card person who I don't think anyone saw top star in. She's developed into someone with masses of potential: a fantastic wrestler (she had an incredibly good match against Nanae Takahashi in SEAdLINNG in May; plus all of the matches she's had with the Marvelous rookies are very very fun) who also exudes this goofy dorky charm.

7. Asuka (DDT): The superior Asuka. The light tube match from DDT is the one thing that everyone will talk about from this year and that was incredibly great but she's also had a fantastic year in other places: including a very good SEAd title challenge against Nanae Takahashi in February. Very good at playing whatever role she needs to: from underdog in DDT to not very nice bully in SEAdLINNNG

8. Mei Suruga (Gatoh Move): Mei has been wrestling for a year and is somehow a relatively high trainer in the Gatoh Move system; which says something about how highly she's seen by Emi Sakura. Another of the 2018 Joshi super rookies who debuted and her instantly great: she manages to have her Gatoh Move style translate very well to other places: including a very fun set of matches in Sendai Girls. There's a random tag match on a Sendai Shinkiba house show that probably only I remember where she teamed with Meiko Satomura against Yuu and Sareee which was a very very fun match: and its telling that even in that sort of more serious atmosphere she doesn't feel out of place at all which is fantastic. Looking forward A LOT to getting to see her live in November for the EVE show.

9. Meiko Satomura (Sendai Girls): Slightly boring pick: but she's a living legend that I can't vote against. Been involved in some of the greatest ever matches including my 2019 Match of the Year; trained some of the best wrestlers around; booked a show in the UK with Martina-Aiger on it; all fantastic things. Her becoming the new Britwres star is also something that's rather strange but if it means that I can see her semi-regularly I don't mind, although I'm never going to a Progress show just to see her.

10. Naoya Nomura (All Japan): Thought I ought to have a dude on this list: Nomura by all rights should be a top star. I wasn't sure until the carnival but he had a fair few great matches in that and a pair of fantastic title challenges against Kento Miyahara make him my favourite on the All Japan roster.

HMs: Chihiro Hashimoto, DASH Chisako (Sendai Girls), Riho (AEW/Stardom), Momo Watanabe, AZM, Kagetsu (Stardom), Kento Miyahara (All Japan), Maria, Mei Hoshizuki, Leo Isaka, Mio Momono (Marvelous), Sasha Banks (WWE), Kenny Omega, Hikaru Shida (AEW), Minoru Suzuki (NJPW)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my two utami friends are good friends On here

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

one more for the Mei Suruga club hell yeah

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

TheKingslayer posted:

This is a testament to how good KO is too since that feud was supposed to at the end bury him. If he were wrestling anywhere but WWE he'd have made my list.

I 100% agree. KO is loving awesome too, but Cena did a really good job of making KO look like a huge threat from the get go. Also the super cute video of his son getting super pumped that his Dad was going to wrestle John Cena is so awesome.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy
This is probably going to be strongly NJPW-centric because I've pretty much stopped watching WWE and I'm always busy when AAA is live-streaming on Twitch.

1. Tetsuya Naito - hello yes it is me, the naitailure. I connect to his charisma and the inherent contradictions of his character. He's a person who felt betrayed by the fans, by his bosses, by everyone, and in the abyss embraced a motto of "Tranquilo" - represented as apathy towards everything around him. And yet, in spite of saying that as he has for four years now, he is anything but that. He is fiercely loyal to his parejas, he cares deeply about fulfilling what he believes he can become, and in the process he shows that somewhere deep within, that exuberant spirit of the Stardust Genius still exists, getting the better of him emotionally.

Oh, and he's pretty good, IMO. He can switch between rear end in a top hat and imperiled babyface pretty well and his signature moves are flashy and impactful. I know it takes 2 or 3 to finish a match now but I'll never not pop for a Destino. But more than anything I have a deep emotional investment in his character, and I want to see his arc end with him finally getting not just the recognition of a Tokyo Dome main event - he already had that - but to WIN at the Tokyo Dome in front of thousands of people who, when he says he's the lead player around here, agree with him rather than laughing derisively at the claim.

2. Jay White - I was not really on the Jay White bandwagon til late last year. He had an excellent early 2018 for sure, and made himself a good and well-hated midcard heel, but for some reason it didn't really feel like everything clicked with him until he finally pulled the trigger on betraying Okada. Breaking away from what had essentially become Seikigun II: Slightly Edgier Edition gave him a chance to turn the sliminess of his persona to 11. And aligning with the Bullet Club gave a stable that had been relegated to a side act for Kenny Omega and the Bucks a proper direction for the first time in a good while. They'd become the cool heels, and now they actually seem like a proper heel power bloc again.

He's young but has a good sense of match psychology, bolstered by some extremely strong character work. The Blade Runner feels like so much more of a threat than its sister moves, the Sister Abigail and Shellshock, because a.) NJPW has been VERY protective of the move and b.) Jay has a tendency to hit it out of nowhere, meaning that the end stage of his big matches are churning with tension. I don't think he even had a setup move for it til this G1, where he began telegraphing the move with a one-two punch of Devitt/Finn Balor's Bloody Sunday and the Blade Runner.

3. Will Ospreay - dumb British man does cool rear end moves that impress even lapsed wrestling fans and non-fans. He's been GOOD for the last couple of years but 2019 feels like the year where everything clicked for him. It's not as if he did it alone but he's had a year of pretty much nothing but bangers in the ring. I don't really know what to say because I don't feel as invested in him emotionally as the prior two choices here, but yeah. I'm eager to see how he grows from here because it seems like he's serious about becoming the face of NJPW outside of Japan.

4. Shingo Takagi - Together with BxB Hulk, I feel like Takagi's probably the crown jewel of Dragon Gate's dojo system. He's been consistently good for more than a decade and has just gotten better with time. He needs to be moved up to the heavyweight division once everyone's favorite cat-loving pure ingobernable boy returns to active competition because we need as many hoss-offs with him on one side of the ring as possible. Everything about him exudes cool from his crazy mullet to his explosive power moveset.

5. Kota Ibushi - There are a lot of times where I worry that Ibushi is going to hurt himself in the ring, especially against Naito, but I can't deny that I feel INTENSELY invested in his big bouts and a lot of it has to do with his sheer toughness.

6. Zack Sabre Jr. - I'm not sure if it's just the NJPW atmosphere or what but I think he's really hit his stride as of recent, like 2018-19. Some of his earlier work, to me, felt kind of like a bunch of pointless limbwork fishing for a sub, but as of recent I think he's become a more complete package, while still having his signature arsenal of submission holds.

7. Tomohiro Ishii - If you can't have a good match with Big Tom STONE PITBULL 141 BITE YOU TOUGH AND HARD Ishii, do you have a pulse? Yes, he has his particular style of match, but that particular style of match is awesome and he manages to bring out the best in anyone who faces him. The fact that he only came to prominence in what could be considered the twilight of his career is criminal because he has been plugging away, having absolute bangers of matches for years.

8. Bray Wyatt - Tearing apart his old persona and creating The Fiend is the best thing he's done in his career. I wanted to believe that his swamp wizard cult leader gimmick could work as a main eventer, but by the time they flirted with giving him a championship reign of ANY kind, I think the well had been good and poisoned. So with his reinvention, I feel like WWE finally has something going with him where he can be seen as a credible monster heel. ... now hopefully WWE won't gently caress it up.

The Slipknot mask is still kinda dumb. But in a charming way!

9. Kazuchika Okada - It's loving Okada

10. Toru Yano - my favorite comedy wrestler rn, in part because - as his match with Ishii showed - he's like a dormant volcano. Mostly harmless, but there's always that off chance he'll erupt and you end up facing Serious Yano, who dispenses with the lovable rogue heel work and instead turns into a rough brawler with power moves like he was when he helped found CHAOS with Nakamura.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A bump to catch us up to chirico cuvie's list, as well as keep us on the front page.

Things of note:

- Utami Hayashishita, who for much of the poll was in last place as least favorite favorite.... is now in the Top 60!
- There are now 171 individual wrestlers on the list.
- Thomas Santell remains the least favorite favorite.
- While the top 4 remain largely in the vanguard, spots 5-10 are frequently changing with even the most minor addition of points.
- 12 wrestlers are over the 100 points mark, with a 13th right on the cusp. The top four all have over 200 points.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
So, remember when GameFAQs had that "Best Game Ever" voting thing, and then someone else made a script so you could figure out which games were your favourites based on a system of choosing between one or the other in a long series of one on one matchups?

Well, I took a look at the code, and sure enough, it was pretty simple to replace the games in there with all the names of the wrestlers that I think might make my top 10. I tested it and it worked for me (although you'd be galled by who's missing in mine). So if anyone else is interested in doing that, I could make up a version with all of the names listed in this thread.

To be clear, it gives you, like, "Sasha Banks" vs. "Kazuchika Okada", and you pick which one is your favourite (or if it's a draw), and then it gives you two more wrestlers, and you keep making choices like that for a good while until it's sorted all the wrestlers in order of your preference. It took me 188 battles to sort my list, and the full list would have a lot more names in it.

My list:
1 Kenny Omega
2 Kota Ibushi
3 Will Ospreay
4 Minoru Suzuki
5 Kazuchika Okada
6 AJ Styles
7 Jon Moxley
8 Chris Jericho
9 Tetsuya Naito
10 Hiroshi Tanahashi

I don't even watch as much New Japan as this would imply, it's just that much easier to get attached to these characters. Honourable mention to the next four in order: Cody Rhodes, PAC, Pentagon Jr., and Adam Cole.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

El Generico posted:

So, remember when GameFAQs had that "Best Game Ever" voting thing, and then someone else made a script so you could figure out which games were your favourites based on a system of choosing between one or the other in a long series of one on one matchups?

Well, I took a look at the code, and sure enough, it was pretty simple to replace the games in there with all the names of the wrestlers that I think might make my top 10. I tested it and it worked for me (although you'd be galled by who's missing in mine). So if anyone else is interested in doing that, I could make up a version with all of the names listed in this thread.

To be clear, it gives you, like, "Sasha Banks" vs. "Kazuchika Okada", and you pick which one is your favourite (or if it's a draw), and then it gives you two more wrestlers, and you keep making choices like that for a good while until it's sorted all the wrestlers in order of your preference. It took me 188 battles to sort my list, and the full list would have a lot more names in it.

My list:
1 Kenny Omega
2 Kota Ibushi
3 Will Ospreay
4 Minoru Suzuki
5 Kazuchika Okada
6 AJ Styles
7 Jon Moxley
8 Chris Jericho
9 Tetsuya Naito
10 Hiroshi Tanahashi

I don't even watch as much New Japan as this would imply, it's just that much easier to get attached to these characters. Honourable mention to the next four in order: Cody Rhodes, PAC, Pentagon Jr., and Adam Cole.

I'd be interested in that. I'm bad at ranking things so I'm struggling to put together my list and I'm curious what this would spit out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

- Seth Rollins and Shinsuke Nakamura are surprisingly late additions to the list.

Rollins probably hurt himself by not having the most consistent year but Nakamura really hasn't been doing much in the ways of amazing work. At one point period of time he absolutely was one of the best and was working with some of the greatest talents in the world. With WWE, not so much.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this miracle script could deserve its own thread for kicks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Generico posted:

That sounds really interesting and would be a neat thing to see, especially for those who have already written up lists to see if this system would generate the same list for them when they're not actively ranking the wrestlers themselves.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
These are pretty much all gonna be New Japan because I don't have it in me to get into Dragon Gate or All Japan or the Joshi companies, quite frankly. If I tried I'd fall behind on all of them and never catch up. WWE or NXT guys might've gotten a spot lower on the list but.............. gently caress 'em. WWE almost killed my passion for wrestling. Sorry, Dream.

1 - Tetsuya Naito
I know it's fun to meme about how he's the worst member of his own stable but when I first got into New Japan last year watching Naito's journey over the prior year, starting with the G1 27, he was the guy who stood out first and stood out the strongest to me, besides Kenny and Okada, because I'd watched their WK and Dominion matches beforehand. He immediately radiated this aura of fun coolness, and despite the often frustrating booking behind him he carries himself so strongly it's hard to stay mad about it for too long. Tranquilo, friends.

2 - Tomohiro Ishii
STONE PITBULL 141 TOUGH & HARD BITE YOU

Seriously Ishii is so good. I love him. You love him. If you don't love him, you've never seen him wrestle.

3 - Hiromu Takahashi
I'm choosing to interpret "active" as "non-retired" and HIROMU'S COMING BACK SOON DAMMIT. Hiromu is, objectively speaking, probably the actual coolest wrestler in LIJ. Naito's character comes with the baggage of the Stardust Genius, which, while an excellent story, makes it seem like he's putting on an act at times. Hiromu is just a loving weirdo. He's also an incredible wrestler whose absence will be felt in the time between Will & Shingo moving to Heavyweight and Hiromu coming back.

4 - Kazuchika Okada
It's Okada. He's the best wrestler in the world. Ospreay might be having a better year but it takes more than just one year of being excellent to cement the position of "best"

5 - Shingo Takagi
I kinda don't have a lot to say about Shingo other than he's really really loving good. Few people in the modern era are able to get a lariat over to quite the degree he is, even guys like Ishii and Kojima. His BOSJ Final is my match of the year, and probably a lot of people in this thread as well.

6 - Jay White
I've talked about why I like Jay White so much several times in the New Japan threads. For better or worse he's a guy whose matches are greatly enhanced when you aren't distracted by a phone or second screen or anything. He's so good at little details, stuff you might miss if you're not watching for it. Plus, he wrestles like someone who actually pays attention to other peoples' matches and devises counters to a lot of their moves ahead of time, rather than having to wrestle them like 4 times before he finally learns how to deal with them. Also, he's such a pitch perfect slimy dickbag unlikable heel. You'll all breathe with the switchblade eventually.

7 - Zack Sabre Jr.
grapplefucking

8 - Will Ospreay
I mean. If he weren't on the list it'd be a bad list. He's really loving good. He's a dumbass, constantly puts his foot in his mouth, and will probably die in the ring. But he's really loving good. I said the same thing about Shingo, which fits considering their parallel paths this year, but the reason Shingo is 3 spots higher is he's just a cooler character. Ospreay is a massive dork, and I like that about him, but there's a certain amount of dorkiness that's too much, and he's a bit past that line. Wish New Japan would stop being so weird about his music though.

9 - EVIL
Apologies to Rarity but I just like the beefy grim reaper more than the handsome skull pirate. His moveset is a bit more interesting (Darkness Falls should be his finisher imo) and I tend to find him more consistent than SANADA, performance-wise. Also his music loving rips. WELCOME TO DARKNESS WORLD.

10 - Ryusuke Taguchi
Believe it or not, Yoshi-Hashi did not make the list. When I first started watching in the summer of last year I went through the entire previous G1, a few noteworthy shows like WK12, Sakura Genesis, and Dominion, and then went straight into the next G1 less than a month after finishing the last one, so I was seeing a lot of Toru Yano right away, and it was incredible. For awhile after that any time I'd see Taguchi, his butt attack-based comedy didn't really click with me, and I thought "eh Taguchi's alright but I prefer Yano as a comedy guy." Fast forward to BOSJ 2019 and Taguchi puts on a legitimately excellent tournament, with plenty of comedy but also mostly Serious Coach in all the matches that mattered. Now I not only "get" Coach, but I actually prefer him to Yano, whose G1 performances should not be understated as the treasures they are, but for most of the rest of the year he ends up not doing a lot for me at this point.

Cruiserweight
Nov 14, 2012

Live Mas
1. Chris Jericho
2. Bayley
3. Chuck Taylor
4. Zack Sabre Jr
5. Samoa Joe
6. Will Ospreay
7. Roderick Strong
8. Konami
9. Tetsuya Naito
10. SANADA

Cruiserweight fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 19, 2019

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
1. Chris Jericho - He's been my favorite from back in the day and I love his current reinvention. Him being in AEW makes it must-see for me. His wrestling style of "cruel aggro dad" is hilarious and terrifying.
2. Pentagon Jr. - Another must see performer. I love his style of "brutal lucha" and the ring gear is *chef's kiss*
3. Kenny Omega - What an amazing last few years he's had, eh? Makes anyone look good and is perfect at being both brutal and someone in peril.
4. Jon Moxley - I really enjoy the evolution of his character now. He brings an intense charisma to the ring that I find irresistible.
5. Pete Dunne - A decade ago, I would have said William Regal. For me, Dunne is Regal's second coming.
6. Will Ospreay - I'm a sucker for acrobatic wrestling and I love Ospreay's speed and in-ring charisma.
7. Becky Lynch - The total package for me: great character work, amazing ring skills.
8. Daniel Bryan - I was glad to have him back in the ring as he's a long-time favorite and, like Jericho, a master of reinvention.
9. Minoru Suzuki - Just the meanest motherfucker on the planet and always a treat to watch.
10. Velveteen Dream - This was a tough spot to pick but when I sit down to really think about it, The Dream is someone I always get excited to see. He's young and fresh and constantly surprises me in his matches. Plus, he a total #bicon as far as I'm concerned. I don't know about his IRL sexuality but The Dream is pure bisexual chocolate and I am herrreee fooorrrr ittttttt

There were a ton of people I wanted to put on here like Cesaro or Samoa Joe or Asuka, but they have not really had a chance to shine much lately and I feel like my list is people with both talent AND opportunity to show it off. Probably not fair (like I think Joe has a higher ceiling than, say, Ospreay or Dream right now) but i likes what i likes.

NO VOTES, JUST THE SORTER LIST FOR COMPARISON. NOT BAD!
code:
Rank	Wrestler
1	Chris Jericho
2	Pentagon Jr
2	Pete Dunne
4	Kenny Omega
5	Daniel Bryan
6	Jon Moxley
7	Becky Lynch
8	Sami Zayn
9	PAC
10	Minoru Suzuki
11	Will Ospreay
12	Velveteen Dream
13	Samoa Joe
14	Aleister Black
15	Cesaro
16	Dragon Lee
17	Kevin Owens
18	Kota Ibushi
19	Ricochet
20	Chad Gable

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 24, 2019

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Alright, here's the Adversarial/Tournament System for Determining your Favourite Wrestlers script: https://serene-noyce-4b38c8.netlify.com

If you do this and post your results, make it clear that it's not your official answer to the poll, so Jerusalem doesn't accidentally count you double. I meant for mine to be my real answer to the poll, I think it's accurate to my real feelings, but you obviously don't have to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In addition to the above (thanks El Generico, it's cool as hell!) I've also updated through to mary had a little clam.

- There are now 173 individual wrestlers on the list.
- I am a dumb idiot who counted two Hazuki picks as separate entries, which El Generico picked up on and made me aware of.
- Shockingly late additions to the list are Bayley and EVIL (!)
- Number 1 is edging closer to the 300 point mark. #2 has fallen back slightly but remains within reach of the top spot, while #3 and #4 are constantly flipping places.
- Only 18 points separates #5 from #10
- Chuck Taylor has accidentally buttressed the patriarchy by knocking Maki Itoh out of the Top 20 thanks to alphabetical listing.
- 75 Goons have posted lists so far. remusclaw was the 69th.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 20, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

No votes to count in this post

Cavauro posted:

1. Tomohiro Ishii
2. PAC
3. SANADA
4. Kota Ibushi
5. Shingo Takagi
6. Fénix
7. Jon Moxley
8. Io Shirai
9. Kazuchika Okada
10. Utami Hayashishita

Original post above vs Script below

quote:

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. PAC
3. SANADA
4. Tomohiro Ishii
5. Kota Ibushi
6. Io Shirai
7. Kyle O'Reilly
8. Sareee
9. Shingo Takagi
10. Tetsuya Naito

Entire original post is in the top 15 of the script. I will remove this if it's confusing to the point of the thread. Surprised I love Naito more than I think, but that's kind of his thing

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 20, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

I will remove this if it's confusing to the point of the thread.

The way you framed it makes perfect sense and I hope others follow suit, thank you.

Cavauro posted:

Surprised I love Naito more than I think, but that's kind of his thing

:hai:

Jerusalem posted:

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Daniel Bryan
3. Chris Jericho
4. Tomohiro Ishii
5. Minoru Suzuki
6. Hiroshi Tanahashi
7. Jon Moxley
8. Kota Ibushi
9. Juice Robinson
10. Samoa Joe

Original post above vs Script below

quote:

1. Kazuchika Okada
2. Tomohiro Ishii
3, Kota Ibushi
4. Daniel Bryan
5. Chris Jericho
6. Tetsuya Naito
7. Jon Moxley
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi
9. Kenny Omega
10. Minoru Suzuki

It seems I rate Ishii and Ibushi higher than I thought. Naito and Omega didn't make my original list while Samoa Joe and Juice Robinson disappear entirely (they're actually down around 20 and 22 on the full list, which really surprises me.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 20, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Generico posted:

Alright, here's the Adversarial/Tournament System for Determining your Favourite Wrestlers script: https://serene-noyce-4b38c8.netlify.com

If you do this and post your results, make it clear that it's not your official answer to the poll, so Jerusalem doesn't accidentally count you double. I meant for mine to be my real answer to the poll, I think it's accurate to my real feelings, but you obviously don't have to.

No Votes To Count in This Post

This is fantastic. I got to Battle no 9, Taichi vs Takashi Sugiura and pulled my hair out as they are both beautiful boys. And then I ripped my scalp off at no. 11 between Shota Umino & Shun Skywalker so thanks. But none the less, lovely idea.

It's the real style clashes that make the most difficult choices to me.

Eventually I got to Barbaro Cavernario vs Cesaro and I've got be honest, I really really want to see that match happen now.

Original Top 10

forkboy84 posted:

1. Tomohiro Ishii
2. Zack Sabre Jr
3. Minoru Suzuki
4. Shingo Takagi
5. Will Ospreay
6. PAC
7. Daniel Bryan
8. Masaaki Mochizuki
9. Katsuhiko Nakajima
10. SANADA

Script Top 10

quote:

1. Tomohiro Ishii
2. Zack Sabre Jr
3. Shingo Takagi
4. Will Ospreay
5. Minoru Suzuki
6. Daniel Bryan
7. PAC
8. Masaaki Mochizuki
9. Katsuhiko Nakajima
10. Kzy

Actually quite impressive how consistent they are, with only SANADA dropping out of the top 10 for Kzy. Somehow he ended up at 15 in the end. Chase Owens is 20 places ahead of Jon Moxley, suck on it Ambrose fans. Kento Miyahara & Naoya Nomura are 12 & 13 & clearly their recent great match from the 3rd was fresh in my mind and possibly biased proceedings a bit.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 20, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NO VOTES TO COUNT IN THIS POST

Original:

quote:

1. Taichi
2. Ryo Mizunami
3. Takumi Iroha
4. Masashi Takeda
5. Tetsuya Naito
6. Kagetsu
7. Asuka - NOT the WWE one
8. Jake Lee
9. Sakura Hirota
10. Katsuhiko Nakajima

Script:

quote:

1. Taichi
2. Mikoto Shindo
3. Takumi Iroha
4. Ryo Mizunami
5. Jake Lee
6. Katsuhiko Nakajima
7. Tetsuya Naito
8. Masashi Takeda
9. Asuka (DDT)
10. Mei Suruga

Hirota would have been in if she wasn't cruelly rejected for the script.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 20, 2019

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My results from the script are pretty accurate, thanks!

1. Pentagon
2. Ricochet
3. Jericho
4. PAC
5. Adam Cole
6. Velveteen Dream
7. Jon Moxley
8. Kota Ibushi
9. Kenny Omega
10: Aleister Black

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
NO VOTES TO COUNT ITP

1Jon Moxley
2Will Ospreay
3Kazuchika Okada
4AJ Styles
5Seth Rollins
6Bray Wyatt
7Ricochet
8Pentagon Jr
9Kota Ibushi
9Switchblade Jay White
11Daniel Bryan

Other HMs include Aleister, Becky, and Ishii. Shockingly similar tbh. Apparently my absolute bottom guy is Shawn Spears. :lol:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only change to my top 10 in make-up is dropping Luchasaurus for Jericho. I also seemingly like Dragon Lee a lot more than I realised.

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

That was fun. So many match ups I want to see.

Original

1) Daniel Bryan
2) Shingo Takagi
3) Zack Sabre Jr
4) Maki Itoh
5) Kota Ibushi
6) Toru Yano
7) Jay White
8) Asuka (WWE)
9) Ricochet
10) Orange Cassidy

Script

1) Daniel Bryan
2) Shingo Takagi
3) Asuka (WWE)
4) Toru Yano
5) Zack Sabre Jr
6) Switchblade Jay White
7) Maki Itoh
8) Orange Cassidy
9) PAC
10) Chuck Taylor

I lost Ricochet and Ibushi and gained PAC and Chuck Taylor.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

God, this picker is cruel. I'll go through a few matches in a row that are either no brainers or "I have no idea who these people are" and follow it up with one that makes me physically uncomfortable and declare "Oh, my children"

my original 10 posted:

1)Tomohiro Ishii
2)Kazuchika Okada
3)Adam Cole
4)Pete Dunne
5)Shingo Takagi
6)Chris Jericho
7)Minoru Suzuki
8)Velveteen Dream
9)Jon Moxley
10)Zack Sabre Jr.

And then

The picker thingy suggests posted:

1)Tomohiro Ishii
2)Shingo Takagi
3)Kazuchika Okada
4)Adam Cole
5)Pete Dunne
6)Aleister Black
7)Jon Moxley
8)PAC
9)Minoru Suzuki
10)Toru Yano

I may admit, I'd gone so long without PAC in my life that I forgot he existed. Among all the reasons to get into AEW, that's gotta be the top of the list.
Also, when I made my list, I suspected I was rating Shingo quite low.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
THIS POST CONTAINS NO VOTES (COUNT NO VOTES FROM THIS POST)

My original list as it is:

karmicknight posted:

1. Chuck Taylor
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Zack Sabre Jr
4. Knife Pervert
5. Minoru Suzuki
6. Maki Itoh
7. Chris Brookes
8. Nick Gage
9. Cody Rhodes
10. Timothy Thatcher

My script generated list:

karmicknight posted:

1 Chuck Taylor
2 Zack Sabre Jr
3 Switchblade Jay WhiteKnife Pervert
4 Kazuchika Okada
5 KENTA
6 Hana Kimura
7 Chris Brookes
8 Chris Jericho
9 Darby Allin
10 Fénix

People on my original list who are not on my script list are Minoru Suzuki (was 5, now 18); Maki Itoh (was 6, now 17); Nick Gage (was 8, now 20); Five Star Cody (was 9, now 75); and Tim Thatcher (was 10, now 14).

What I find really interesting is my though process of ZSJ then Jay White stayed consistent, it's just I like them both more than Okada (I hope that doesn't say lovely things about my psyche). Nick Gage swapping for Chris Jericho and KENTA for Minoru Suzuki are also dope as hell in my estimation.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NO VOTES HERE

Original:

SG Bamboo posted:

1) Taichi
2) Jay White
3) Minoru Suzuki
4) PAC
5) Hiroshi Tanahashi
6) Daniel Bryan
7) Big Tomohiro Ishii
8) Chase Owens
9) Yujiro Takahashi
10) YOSHI-HASHI.

The Script:

1) Taichi
2) Switchblade
3) Minoru Suzuki
4) Masaaki Mochizuki
5) Takashi Sugiura
6) Ishii
7) Tanahashi
8) Chase Owens
9) El Phantasmo
10) YOSHI-HASHI

PAC and Daniel Bryan have been usurped by the angry old man contingent of Mocchy and Sugiura, and ELP replaced Takahashi who wasn't on the list. I most certainly have a type, dickheads followed by grumpy old men.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Cavauro posted:

original

lost my old email posted:

vader is dead. regal is crippled. do any True Heroes still stand astride this weary world?

01) aja kong
02) champion of the working man ZSJ
03) suzuki (the old one. the new one looks p. good too but i have not seen enough of his stuff)
04) christopher jericho
05) ISHII
06) THE BIG MAN lance archer
07) machu picchu (out of GLOW [the netflix one not the lovely actual wrestling company])
08) liberty belle (out of GLOW [the netflix one not the lovely actual wrestling company])
09) luchasaurus
10) jungle jack perry

scientifically determined

code:
01)	Aja Kong
02)	Minoru Suzuki
03)	Zack Sabre Jr
04)	Lance Archer
05)	Tomohiro Ishii
06)	Luchasaurus
07)	Jungle Boy
08)	Jon Moxley
09)	Shota Umino
10)	Taichi
obviously i am hampered by the matrix's lack of GLOW characters and some of the minor variations in placement can probably be attributed to me doing a few accidental double clicks. the greatest anomaly is

code:
15	Cody
16	Chris Jericho
thinking on it further i probably did overate jericho a little also it is very hard to vote against La Parka in the heat of the moment. thanks el generico!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

super macho dude posted:

1. Minoru Suzuki
2. Zack Sabre Jr.
3. Shingo Takagi
4. WALTER
5. Daisuke Sekimoto
6. Tetsuya Naito
7. Timothy Thatcher
8. Cesaro
9. Orange Cassidy
10. Jon Moxley

Script Poll Not Canon:

1 Minoru Suzuki
2 Shingo Takagi
3 Timothy Thatcher
4 WALTER
5 Zack Sabre Jr
6 Pete Dunne
7 Daisuke Sekimoto
8 Cesaro
9 Orange Cassidy
10 Jon Moxley

Sad to see Muscle Dad Seki drop a couple spots but...
Wrap it up Naitailures.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Super glad people are enjoying this. :3: Some of the results are really interesting, actually makes me wish I had attempted my own pre-script Top 10, oh well.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hate this thread because I put Okada at #1 and then there's just so many good choices I'm not even certain of that. I hate it J-Ru.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

1 - Joey Janela
2 - Kazuchika Okada
3 - Chris Jericho
4 - Zack Sabre Jr
5 - Minoru Suzuki
6 - Hana Kimura
7 - Jon Moxley
8 - Hazuki
9 - Taichi
10 - Tam Nakano

Janela has been incredibly kind to me IRL on numerous occasions and asks me about my health and how I'm doing post-cancer whenever he sees me. It would be impossible for me to not have him as my favorite wrestler.

not canon (rip)

1 - Joey Janela
2 - Zack Sabre Jr
3 - Hiroshi Tanahashi*
4 - Kazuchika Okada
5 - Fenix*
6 - Darby Allin*
7 - Toru Yano*
8 - Minoru Suzuki
9 - SANADA*
10 - Kenny Omega*

* = New. 6 new ones! Turns out I was very wrong about my own tastes and also was a dumbass who forgot about Hiroshi Tanahash. Jericho dropped to 14, Hana Kimura dropped to 20, Jon Moxley dropped to 23, Hazuki down to 16, Taichi to 11, and Tam Nakano did not appear in the sorter. Rush didn't either and I don't think I saw Roman Reigns.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 21, 2019

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
No votes here

Kevino07 posted:

1. Daniel Bryan
2. Hiroshi Tanahashi
3. Will Ospreay
4. Kazuchika Okada
5. Cesaro
6. Zack Sabre Jr
7. Tomohiro Ishii
8. Chris Jericho
9. Velveteen Dream
10. Shingo Takagi

And using the Non-canon poll:

1 Daniel Bryan
2 Hiroshi Tanahashi
3 Chris Jericho
3 Kazuchika Okada
3 Will Ospreay
6 Zack Sabre Jr
7 Cesaro
7 Tomohiro Ishii
9 Big E
9 Shingo Takagi
11 Velveteen Dream

Look's I did Big E dirty and had Jericho a little too low, but it was surprisingly close!

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Oh man, I love lists.

1: Okada.
This is what peak performance looks like. G.O.A.T

2: Tomohiro Ishii
A sentient lump of concrete. The reason I got into New Japan.

3: Jushin Liger
Absolute wee legend. I'll probably cry when he retires at the dome.

4: Cesaro
There'll always be place in my heart for Cesaro.

5: Minoru Suzuki
Suzuki beating up the young lions will never get old

6: Taichi
He's so loving cool.

7: Samoa Joe
The total package.

8: Dragon Lee
https://youtu.be/5rJlxFgEDXw

9: SANADA
Very handsome.

10: KENTA
Could watch this guy kick people all day.

ThePariah posted:

True #1 if he becomes active: Katsuyori Shibata.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Thanks for the script, I was having a hard time deciding who I would put in my top 10 but when forced to do so by a cold unfeeling machine it becomes much easier. I tried to answer the list as an exclusively 2019 thing which means that some of my favorite wrestlers(Pentagon Jr, Fenix) ended up near the bottom of the list because I am incapable of caring about tag team wrestling.

1 - Kenny Omega - I would normally put Okada slightly above him but seeing Omega wrestle some new people this year really made me enjoy his work.
2 - Kazuchika Okada - He is actually the best in the world.
3 - Tomohiro Ishii - My favorite thing about Ishii is the way he wrestlers against other members of Chaos. Either they take it seriously or they die.
4 - Ryusuke Taguchi - I will always love the story of the lazy goofy veteran reminding everyone he's actually a really good wrestler, Taguchi was great in the BOSJ.
5 - Kota Ibushi - Please don't die
6 - Hirooki Goto - I've always thought Goto was a bit underrated. He's someone who should absolutely never be champion but he has good matches and cool moves.
7 - Hiroshi Tanahashi - Please don't die work without rest until your limbs fall off.
8 - PAC - I like a heel who's a heel because he's a bastard and not because he's a cowardly cheater.
9 - Minoru Suzuki - I like his socks collection.
10 - Switchblade Jay White - Countering every move into the Bladerunner is enough to get him on my top 10 list.

Jaragoh
Nov 27, 2004

1. Daniel Bryan
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Jon Moxley
4. Chris Jericho
5. Tomohiro Ishii
6. Bray Wyatt
7. Kenny Omega
8. Kevin Owens
9. PAC
10. Minoru Suzuki

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping and updating through to Jaragoh, with a reminder that you have till the 30th of September to get your list in, so basically just under a week left.

Things of note:

- There are now 174 wrestlers on the list, with 79 goons having put in their favorites.
- The #1 spot has passed the 300 mark, but #2 is not far behind. #3 & #4 are in the mid 200s, with the rest of the top 10 all in the mid-high 100s.
- There are 39 women wrestlers on the list.
- The latest shockingly late addition to the list is Jushin Liger (what the hell he wasn't on before this? :stare:).
- Speaking of which, the oldest wrestler on the list is Jushin Liger at 54.
- The youngest wrestler on the list is Mikoto Shindo at 18.
- That said, there were a handful of wrestlers I couldn't find ages for. If anybody can help with Alex Kellar, Jimmy Lloyd, Kris Statlander, Lulupencil, Misao, Nyla Rose, Session Moth Martina, The Butcher Andy Williams, Toni Baroni, Tony Deppen, Viktor Tykki and Yuka Sakazaki it would be a big help.
- Finally, muscle memory made me put down the wrong Hashimoto, meaning the list contained a dead wrestler for awhile :doh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 24, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

better shinya hashimoto than The Undertaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

1. Toru Yano
2. Taichi
3. Aja Kong
4. Kento Miyahara
5. Takashi Sugiura
6. Naoya Nomura
7. Session Moth Martina
8. Sasha Banks
9. Shayna Baszler
10. Joe Coffey

Original list above, generated list below:

Generator thingmy posted:

1. Toru Yano
2. Taichi
3. Tetsuya Naito
4. Colt Cabana
5. Aja Kong
6. Daniel Bryan
7. Takashi Sugiura
8. Session Moth Martina
9. Naoya Nomura
10. Brock Lesnar

Also somewhat accurate tbh

btw SANADA, Seth Rollins and "Absolute Zero" Shawn Spears are joint last, which is. Pretty much accurate, yeah