Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yuming posted:

Serious opinions below-------------------------------

I think AA is town.

I don't like Solus' ~tone~

##vote Solus

no way Solus is always right about everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

lol what a snipe hahahaha

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Bifauxnen posted:

no way Solus is always right about everything

bif why you gotta try so hard to confuse my scumdar

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SolusLunes posted:

bif why you gotta try so hard to confuse my scumdar

cause I'm not scum this time so I gotta make it stick hey

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

cause I'm not scum this time so I gotta make it stick hey

the fact that you're trying so hard makes me think you're scum

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I mean let me be clear I don't think you're scummy enough to act on it as a D1 case but it's making me suspicious of you, to the point of "if I die tonight bif is scum"

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
after six months i have razor sharp vision of bif's alignment at all times

i'm loving with you i don't know poo poo

i aim to play the mod a bit, and i believe we'll find that the protest is an sj-aligned or 3p-aligned event resulting in fun

with due respect to the opposition, of course

@jen are they permitted to change their votes

i motion since the majority is overwhelming we honor change of hearts even if the power doesn't allow for it

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
10 hours to deadline, do people want to actually start commenting on me vs aa or like... Other things? Or are you all happy with how this is going?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

10 hours to deadline, do people want to actually start commenting on me vs aa or like... Other things? Or are you all happy with how this is going?

Stop trying to make a thunder dome happen, Gretchen

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Toalpaz posted:

I mean personally I feel that AA comes off worse since it was clearly a joke post on your behalf and I find it odd that AA is sort of jumping all over you for that. That is the basic gist of things right?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I feel like AA was trying to force us out of joke phase early and pushed a little too hard on Toal’s obvious joke. I lean slightly scum but mostly I think it’s a null tell. Can anyone share a post count? My internet is out so I only have phone posting.

Also I just got home from work, I’m going to sleep for about 4-5 hours.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
It looked like toal made jokes, but also looked like they were trying to fake content, like the best case stuff on Jon Joe, but I can see how I might have read into it.

Honestly I'd rather vote pera and will do so.

##vote pera

Suggested lunch targets based on reactions to something we know nothing about.

We only have the flavor which, while admittedly is nothing to be openly opposed to, is simultaneously nothing to be hand in hand about.

JJ brought reason I hadn't considered, but if it is a negative thing, we probably wouldn't get the truth any how.

I feel being wary of unexplained day actions is more town than not, but I am biased.

Also the ability to switch should not be allowed. That way the thread isn't cluttered with unnecessary interactions. One vote, you cast it and your decision is made. I think that's best for a day action like that. It's how pig handled it most recently and I think it is successful.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

It looked like toal made jokes, but also looked like they were trying to fake content, like the best case stuff on Jon Joe, but I can see how I might have read into it.

##vote pera

noble intentions

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I'm a dullard. What do you mean?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm not trying to make a thunderdome happen I just think we should seriously talk about who to vote because it ~feels~ like when people aren't talking about the vote near deadline that scum are happy with the way things are going and I get second thoughts. There are a bunch of people itt who haven't made a serious post at all and it's going to be tough going into d2 like this unless we get lucky imo. That's why I'd rather people at least pretend to participate by offering opinions.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I'm a dullard. What do you mean?

dismissive, but complimentary. it takes guts to come out and vote for someone so pretty

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
At this point I'm starting to feel like AA is too scummy to be scum.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

At this point I'm starting to feel like AA is too scummy to be scum.

What are my scummy behaviors?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

What are my scummy behaviors?

Your vote on pera. I thought you came off a little poorly (I don't mean that in a classist way) in your interaction with Toalpaz

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
My vote on pera is scummy?

How so

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

My vote on pera is scummy?

How so

I agreed with pera about cuddling an opposer, but you didn't mention my post at all or post anything about me. I think your fight with Toalpaz was partially white noise to get your post count up while looking like you are contributing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I would like to push for Dancer to be canceled. It is a bit hypocritical for me to wish to remove a lurker, given I myself have not been too often present this first game day, but I’m not feeling suspicious of any of the people who have been active, so far.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
##vote Dancer

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Jon Joe posted:

I would like to push for Dancer to be canceled. It is a bit hypocritical for me to wish to remove a lurker, given I myself have not been too often present this first game day, but I’m not feeling suspicious of any of the people who have been active, so far.

I think this is probably a bad take. We should be fairly aggressive about removing lurkers, yes, but doing it on D1 when we have a fair number of areas to inquire about is going to hurt us. They flip and we get absolutely nothing out of it.

Again, still under the whether because of my massive drinking problem. I'll do a full writeup for the day after dinner.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

I think this is probably a bad take. We should be fairly aggressive about removing lurkers, yes, but doing it on D1 when we have a fair number of areas to inquire about is going to hurt us. They flip and we get absolutely nothing out of it.

Again, still under the whether because of my massive drinking problem. I'll do a full writeup for the day after dinner.

I understand what you mean, but the very suggestion we remove the lurker generates discussion (like this!) so isn’t it a bit moot?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Humalong posted:

I am town, yes. Also because I’m bored

##Mash Paladin and Sorcerer

It works pretty well in 5e, let’s see how garbage it is in Jen.Xe.

Out of curiosity, why these two classes?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Natural 20 posted:

Why would someone driveby post in a game?

Hrmmmmm

There's more to unpack here though.

The post I made, even outside of the context of being suuuper drunk is still reasonable (because even if I'm drunk I'm still the best mafia player on the planet).

Absent any knowledge, even if I think the role is 3p I don't know if the role is a town or scum aligned 3p or purely neutral. Voting one way or the other locks me in to a perspective on it. Compare to what i did, which is informing the game of a suspicion I have and allows extra time for contemplation and perhaps further explanation.

Anyway, hungover as gently caress, I'll probably cook up something interesting this evening.

So first off, I forgot you were drinking -- I was rereading reactions from after the vote was announced, to see if anything jumped out, and your post explaining you were going to drink and shitpost was from before that. So that's my bad.

As for locking you in -- it didn't occur to me because I wouldn't have thought voting did lock you in, but a couple of other people have made similar comments. Are day actions not something you can change your mind and re-vote on?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SolusLunes posted:

this is like the time that sasaki kojiro challenged miyamoto musashi to a duel

what I'm saying is that I haven't showered this morning

Showers are bad for the environment anyway, so embrace your personal stank.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

##vote pera

Suggested lunch targets based on reactions to something we know nothing about.

We only have the flavor which, while admittedly is nothing to be openly opposed to, is simultaneously nothing to be hand in hand about.

JJ brought reason I hadn't considered, but if it is a negative thing, we probably wouldn't get the truth any how.

I feel being wary of unexplained day actions is more town than not, but I am biased.

Also the ability to switch should not be allowed. That way the thread isn't cluttered with unnecessary interactions. One vote, you cast it and your decision is made. I think that's best for a day action like that. It's how pig handled it most recently and I think it is successful.

I disagree that the reactions can't tell us anything. I don't think it's as clear as "agree = town, oppose = scum" by any means, but it was a catalyst that people had to respond to.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SalTheBard posted:

I agreed with pera about cuddling an opposer, but you didn't mention my post at all or post anything about me. I think your fight with Toalpaz was partially white noise to get your post count up while looking like you are contributing.

I dunno, I feel like AA picks early fights a lot. Esp with quidnose.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Joe posted:

I understand what you mean, but the very suggestion we remove the lurker generates discussion (like this!) so isn’t it a bit moot?

No, I'm with Nat on this one. The discussion is flat -- they're not going to be useful, how do we know they're scum? How do we know they aren't? gently caress it, might as well -- it's pretty by the numbers.

Worse, suggesting a lurker is the ultimate in no-accountability executions. "Oh, whoops, wasn't scum? Oh well, they were lurking anyway." No case required, no arguments needed, just apathy and people shrugging their shoulders.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

spacing in vienna posted:

No, I'm with Nat on this one. The discussion is flat -- they're not going to be useful, how do we know they're scum? How do we know they aren't? gently caress it, might as well -- it's pretty by the numbers.

Worse, suggesting a lurker is the ultimate in no-accountability executions. "Oh, whoops, wasn't scum? Oh well, they were lurking anyway." No case required, no arguments needed, just apathy and people shrugging their shoulders.

Okay, point taken. I will consider other options today. ##unvote

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

Ah, I just didn't see it.

Bad Sal, BAD!

Toalpaz, while genuine, was also kind of to rouse the game out of joke phase. I did think I saw what I saw, but I think pera's single hot take was way worse in comparison (D1 cases, yeah yeah yeah yeah)

Legitimately, did not see your solidarity with pera's plan.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ah, I just didn't see it.

Bad Sal, BAD!

Toalpaz, while genuine, was also kind of to rouse the game out of joke phase. I did think I saw what I saw, but I think pera's single hot take was way worse in comparison (D1 cases, yeah yeah yeah yeah)

Legitimately, did not see your solidarity with pera's plan.

That actually seems reasonable. I'm cool with AA again. Sorry for the temporary insanity. I still do feel your pera vote was bad

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

spacing in vienna posted:

Out of curiosity, why these two classes?

It’s a hilariously strong combination in fifth edition dungeons and dragons

Also paladins protect while sorcerers are naturally talented magic users that don’t have to suck up to someone for power (clerics and warlocks) or spend their life being a nerd (wizard)

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

PS hi I’m awake and starving going to order food and reread some of this thread

##unvote

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

##vote ggn good case humalong

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay, so ASF and Dancer are basically completely checked out. Unless there's a standout play of some sort overnight then if they don't show up on D2 we should aggressively push to remove them from the game. Lurker lunches are absolutely required if there are no lurker removal mechanics because otherwise as chattier players die off we end up in a silent game.

Yes, I'm setting up lunch suggestions ahead of time. No it's not scummy it's basic planning. I swear to god if someone pipes up with that poo poo i will shut it down so hard.

GGN, Yuming and Bif also haven't posted very significant contributions. Bif's got her new meta to explain that, but that can only remain justified for a little bit.

I'd add GD to the list but GD's entire meta is one line driveby posting.

Since D1 is about breaking a sparsity of information and informing actions, absent a compelling case on these guys, I wouldn't want to drop them til they've got more to look at on the board.

Of the rest:

AA: I really never liked this:

Seems like a blatantly artificial vote. Before we get into standard, "but it's day 1, no cases are serious" nonsense, the main reason I think this looks fake is because of all the joking throughout. These are hot takes, not cases.

##vote Toal

It felt scummy through interpreting a joke set of cases seriously and then claiming that they weren't.

With that being said, I actually do like the subsequent material we get out of AA. The pera case, as I'll get to feels legit.

I'd also note that as someone trying to start discussions, the downside risk of removing AA is high even if the upside would be profitable.

Jon Joe:

Not in the lurker section because I actually feel the few posts he's made to the tail end of the day make for a reasonable case assessment.

I already noted that I disliked the lurker lunch suggestion, but I found this comeback to my complaint:

Jon Joe posted:

to be genuinely lacking. Saying "Aha your complaint about generating discussion is itself generating discussion!" is honestly silly in how it doesn't account for the long term health of the game. That said, the walk back subsequently following questioning makes this seem more like an error in judgement rather than an outright scum play.

Humalong

There's nothing remarkable here. I agree with most of the takes he's put out so far, the major one being his read on AA which as you'll have noted from above, I've basically agreed with.

Sal

Sal has made a very large number of posts, almost all of which are jokes and like a single one is a take on AA. I don't like this. I feel like he should be along enough in the game now to know better, so I take that to be more likely to be scum than not. I'm not voting his way but I'm keeping an eye out.

SiV

Weird one for me. I think the role is 3p and their challenge to me over that statement was weak, but there's a lot of discussion an engagement otherwise. I'd obviously like to know what the hell the power we've been voting for is meant to do but I think their refusal to reveal its nature is reasonable for the early game.

It's a little odd, basically, even if I did lean scum here, I probably wouldn't drop a vote because of the engagement level. The downside risk on removing players like that is honestly pretty high.

Solus

A little like Sal, lots of posting, not very much actual content. Again, I expect Solus to know better than that.

Toal

I like the content being put out. There's work that's going into generating at least some form of a case on AA even if it's a reactionary one. I think the response itself also feels emotively genuine.

pera

This is where my vote is going to land for the moment. I think AA's case here is legit.

peramene posted:

##join

i believe a good day 1 vote would be an oppositioner

I don't like this post at all. Setting up to vote someone for what I feel is the more pro-town option in a vacuum seems really awful. The followup:

peramene posted:

i aim to play the mod a bit, and i believe we'll find that the protest is an sj-aligned or 3p-aligned event resulting in fun

with due respect to the opposition, of course

@jen are they permitted to change their votes

i motion since the majority is overwhelming we honor change of hearts even if the power doesn't allow for it

Is also a genuine issue to me, since it basically reads "We should do this potentially anti-town thing for the memes." If it goes badly she can just say she was trying to spice up the game as a defense.

I also think that the failure to actually rebut AA with this:

peramene posted:

dismissive, but complimentary. it takes guts to come out and vote for someone so pretty

speaks volumes. To me it reads as "Just ignore it and it'll go away," which is a genuinely very common scum tactic because of how terrible we are at remembering things for more than a day.

##vote pera

I can be persuaded elsewhere.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I find the pera case, as Nat20 has presented it, to be compelling.

##vote peramene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Natural 20 posted:

Sal

Sal has made a very large number of posts, almost all of which are jokes and like a single one is a take on AA. I don't like this. I feel like he should be along enough in the game now to know better, so I take that to be more likely to be scum than not. I'm not voting his way but I'm keeping an eye out.

Yeah. I was trying to stay out of the AA vs Toalpaz stuff so I was generally ignoring it. That's probably my bad. From outside perspective I would agree with this case as scum typically try to keep jokephase going to cover for lack of content, something I 100% did.