Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Cornuto posted:

Did you leave off a "not" in there on mistake, or is this accurate?

There was no mistake. If people think about it, you are generally said to be some long lost descendant of Enkidu instead of you know, an Atharan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Zurai posted:

I, for one, do not see anything wrong with this. We're already pretty much an anime character, complete with power up sequence (I mean, we totally did groan and yell and shout until we exploded into a giant pillar of fire at Acco).

I don't think you've ever overcome a foe with the power of friendship? Also, you uh, killed all those people at Acco, though I suppose that would fit into some anime...

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

I don't think you've ever overcome a foe with the power of friendship? Also, you uh, killed all those people at Acco, though I suppose that would fit into some anime...

we almost managed it with once-consort, to be fair

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Diogines posted:

We had a magical-girl transformation sequence after meeting Azzazel when he hit us with a mystic swirly that restyled our hair and gave us a cool new skirt.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Olothreutes posted:

Tudes is fine with a club as a weapon. I forget who but someone pointed out very early that Tudiya uses things like a club. Like a leg he tore off a monster. A club is maybe not as prestigious as a spear for tradition reasons, but it's way more respectable than a bow. I don't think we have to transition to a great sword to earn dad points.

Also Barkof used a great sword and he's a traitorous heretic.

Didn't he try to dissuade us from using the club, saying it wasn't the weapon of our people, before he started training us? I don't think it's a major issue with him, but I'm pretty sure he'd prefer we use a more traditional weapon, all other things being equal. I doubt he's unhappy with our combat performance or anything.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
It's accurate and part of the issue; we shouldn't encourage it or we might get (more) worship.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Cornuto posted:

We had a magical-girl transformation sequence after meeting Azzazel when he hit us with a mystic swirly that restyled our hair and gave us a cool new skirt.

Magical Girl Enkidu Black?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

SerSpook posted:

Magical Girl Enkidu Black?

Avatar idea: this but with Enkidel's giant goofy rear end.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

One of the biggest reasons imo for us to stick with clubs is we still have the behemoth bone club that we can't break the actual bone part of it yet. The blooded bronze breaks off over time but the bone itself hasn't cracked at all despite all the swinging we've done with it, hell not even Tudiya could outright smash Behemoth bones and that was using it as a impromptu weapon smashing it into everything around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Diogines posted:

I don't think you've ever overcome a foe with the power of friendship?

We've certainly tried!

quote:

Also, you uh, killed all those people at Acco, though I suppose that would fit into some anime...

Berserk...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Diogines posted:

We would have been hunger demoned/flesh carted/somehow deaded by now if it wasn't for the extremely strong friendship between us, Paebel, Uriah, Gereb, and the rest of our Balls.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Zurai posted:

I'm not sure how much club use would actually translate to greatsword use. They're not really that similar. Among other things, using it like a club is completely wasting the potential of a long blade with a sharp tip being used as a thrusting weapon and greatly extending our reach. For another, a metal sword is going to weigh a LOT less than a metal (or similarly dense/heavy) club of similar proportions. A Mercy Greatsword will weigh a fraction of what Mercy does. That difference in weight, especially in balance (swords are weighted most heavily towards the hilt, while clubs are generally weighted most heavily towards the head) means that you have to use them differently.

A blooded bronze greatsword is not at all a bad idea, but expecting to be able to use it exactly like a club will get us killed against anything skilled. If we do end up making one, we should train with it extensively vs Uriah or other Mighty Men before using it against anything serious.

Regarding how well the skills translate, I'm just going by Enkidel's assessment as an expert monster hunter/warrior from one of the timeskips (quoted below). I'm not sure why we would ever build a mercy greatsword either? We have Mercy already, why change that? The greatsword would be a replacement for the existing behemoth bone club, not Mercy. As such, I'm not sure the weight differential matters much. We are strong enough to fire our bow while tucking Mercy under our arm and doing feats of acrobatics. Keeping a tight grip on the club and the blade would most likely mean we wouldn't even notice the weight difference, because neither our Behemoth club or the greatsword are going to weigh even slightly close to enough for their weight to really matter to us.

Diogines posted:

Ee. Ed., but I make something else instead. A greatsword. I suspect most of my skill with a club would translate well into a greatsword, a weapon which would also allow me to parry even better and make faster blows than my club. Tudiya does not have one which is sturdy enough to let me use it at my full strength. Maybe I can make one?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zodiac5000 posted:

Keeping a tight grip on the club and the blade would most likely mean we wouldn't even notice the weight difference, because neither our Behemoth club or the greatsword are going to weigh even slightly close to enough for their weight to really matter to us.

No. Just no. It's not really about the weight, it's about the balance. Try swinging a broom around while gripping it near the top and waving the head around, then switch your grip so that you're gripping just above the bristles and swinging the other end around. The weight of the object is identical, but the way it reacts to your force is totally different.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Kill all animes, including Enkidel

Og was pure from this corruption. THIS IS YOUR FAULT GOONS

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Enkidel is so strong that he could swing literally any shape of item around and that item is not going to react differently solely because of how strong his grip/wrist/arms are. I don't think it matters if he puts the 100 pound weight on the end of a stick versus the base of a stick. The weapon 'reacting' to enkidel is irrelevant, because the force the weapon can exert on his hand/wrist/arm is so absolutely minute either way. like redistributing a feather on a twig you find outside. No matter where you put that feather it makes no difference when you swing the twig, because the weight is not meaningfully able to impact your arm.

edit - basically, every single weapon is sorta like a lightsaber to Enkidel, I wager. Club, sword, mace, hammer, whatever. As long as the weapon doesn't tear itself apart when he swings (which is most of the problem we run into nowadays), the weapon's weight does not play into whereever or however enkidel wants to swing it.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 19, 2019

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Diogines posted:

Ibleam comes pretty close, though.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Zodiac5000 posted:

Enkidel is so strong that he could swing literally any shape of item around and that item is not going to react differently solely because of how strong his grip/wrist/arms are. I don't think it matters if he puts the 100 pound weight on the end of a stick versus the base of a stick. The weapon 'reacting' to enkidel is irrelevant, because the force the weapon can exert on his hand/wrist/arm is so absolutely minute either way. like redistributing a feather on a twig you find outside. No matter where you put that feather it makes no difference when you swing the twig, because the weight is not meaningfully able to impact your arm.

edit - basically, every single weapon is sorta like a lightsaber to Enkidel, I wager. Club, sword, mace, hammer, whatever. As long as the weapon doesn't tear itself apart when he swings (which is most of the problem we run into nowadays), the weapon's weight does not play into whereever or however enkidel wants to swing it.

That's not how anything works

Try swinging a butterknife like a hammer

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Zodiac5000 posted:

Didn't he try to dissuade us from using the club, saying it wasn't the weapon of our people, before he started training us? I don't think it's a major issue with him, but I'm pretty sure he'd prefer we use a more traditional weapon, all other things being equal. I doubt he's unhappy with our combat performance or anything.

I'm sure there's more back here, but I found these so far:

Diogines posted:

Ishamal, on the club: "I think that a club is a weapon to suit you well."

Diogines posted:

It is, as you already knew, the weapon of Enkidu. It is not a particularly prestigious weapon but one which is said to be easy to learn and a good fit for strong men. Chait points out to you that when Tudiya tears the limbs from beasts uses them as a weapon, he uses them... like a club.

Diogines posted:

Tudiya on clubs and Enkidel: "The spear is the weapon of Labaras and of heroes my son, but you are the one who will face your own dangers, I will not face your dangers, you must pick a weapon you favor. I think a maul might serve you better, or perhaps a club."

So it's known to not be particular prestigious but works well for strong men, including Tudes, and Ishamal thinks it'd be a good choice for us?

Victis posted:

That's not how anything works

Try swinging a butterknife like a hammer

Imagine that both the butterknife and the hammer are made of balsa wood and are nearly imperceptible in your hand, your insane strength rendering something like center of mass totally irrelevant?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 19, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the power of friendship was also handy with Warad and Nikall and King Pal and Khasis and the Kazdack Party

we haven't converted anyone who used to hate us into a friend yet iirc though, rip Samson and OnceConsort

admittedly, if you're not Jesbaam or Tent Demon, you don't usually survive a violent confrontation with Enkidel

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
oh we did convert Goliath until El got him

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zodiac5000 posted:

I realize that Enkidel is a muscle-wizard who can fly, but physics still has some sort of a grasp on the world, and once again, just because we're strong doesn't mean where the weight on the object we're swinging is doesn't matter. To make the point, consider your shoe string; if you tie a 5 ounce weight to one end, the shoestring will react very differently if you wave it around by the weighted end or the unweighted end. That is made more obvious because the string isn't rigid, but the same basic principles apply to more rigid objects as well.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Waci posted:

Ibleam comes pretty close, though.

Friendship and Incredible Amounts of Violence.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I think you're looking at this too much in terms of human capability and not in terms of Enkidel capability. If you put a broom in a metal vice grip designed to bend titanium or something and have machine arm swing it around, it does not matter which end of the broom is up, handle or brush. There will be no difference whatever to the machine's path because the balance of the item is measured in units of force so small the machine wont' even notice. Enkidel is that machine. We could swing literally any shape, at all, and as long as it isn't weighing in the tens of thousands of pounds, its balance or weight is completely irrelevant to how we can or want to move it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zodiac5000 posted:

I think you're looking at this too much in terms of human capability and not in terms of Enkidel capability. If you put a broom in a metal vice grip designed to bend titanium or something and have machine arm swing it around, it does not matter which end of the broom is up, handle or brush. There will be no difference whatever to the machine's path because the balance of the item is measured in units of force so small the machine wont' even notice. Enkidel is that machine. We could swing literally any shape, at all, and as long as it isn't weighing in the tens of thousands of pounds, its balance or weight is completely irrelevant to how we can or want to move it.

And you're just looking at the object as a single uniform weight without dimensions. Taking my shoestring example, the weighted end will wrap around objects much more easily than the non-weighted end, regardless of the force used to swing it.

EDIT: Also, it very much matters to the thing we're hitting whether we hit with the head of the hammer or the shaft, as an example. Weight distribution and shape matter regardless of strength. If it didn't, every Mighty Melee Weapon would just be a stick.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 19, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Zurai posted:

I, for one, do not see anything wrong with this. We're already pretty much an anime character, complete with power up sequence (I mean, we totally did groan and yell and shout until we exploded into a giant pillar of fire at Acco).

KAAAA

MEEEEE

HAAAAA

MEEEEEEEEEEE

*PFPFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT*

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

I mean we already did a kamehameha at Acco, just straight up into the sky; gave some minos a heartattack over the sheer anime of it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

Friendship and Incredible Amounts of Violence.

Where can I find more of this?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

at

*checks watermark*

shencomix.com

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TK-42-1 posted:

at

*checks watermark*

shencomix.com

Oh. Right. Didn't see it on my phone.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Reddit

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

So it's known to not be particular prestigious but works well for strong men, including Tudes, and Ishamal thinks it'd be a good choice for us?

Eldammit we could have been Black Thor :mad:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Next update will either be tomorrow or possibly the earlier half of Saturday. But not tonight, sorry folks.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Do we know why Enkidel hasn't been smited by team el yet when he made those arrows from his blood?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There's something weird going on with blood. Amok was big on blood, but it was sort of his blood? Did he make the trees out of his own blood? Dunno how the monument rules interact with this but iirc it had a tone more along the lines of severely forbidding more predatory or exploitative blood acts in particular.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Polgas posted:

Do we know why Enkidel hasn't been smited by team el yet when he made those arrows from his blood?

I think we were spared because we went into a trance and woke up with poo poo made from our own blood and immediately buried it. We did exactly the right thing to do in that circumstance and followed all the laws required. It’s the equivalent of getting let off of a murder charge because of self defense.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Maybe the ban on using blood was because of the ridiculous amount of power inherent in old tales level blood. We can almost guess that Flies-straight-chan was made of blood due to its form and color. How it got the crazy AI poo poo I have 0 ideas on, but the fact that it looked like frozen blood should probably be a big flag about why it’s not allowed anymore.

AAAAHHHHHH Diog give us a sourcebook or something whenever you get bored of doing this. I will pay you so much money for it.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I thought about it as getting off with a warning but then i remember that cannibalism story. The guy didn't even know but he still got smote.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TK-42-1 posted:

Maybe the ban on using blood was because of the ridiculous amount of power inherent in old tales level blood. We can almost guess that Flies-straight-chan was made of blood due to its form and color. How it got the crazy AI poo poo I have 0 ideas on, but the fact that it looked like frozen blood should probably be a big flag about why it’s not allowed anymore.

AAAAHHHHHH Diog give us a sourcebook or something whenever you get bored of doing this. I will pay you so much money for it.

obviously if we created arrows or anything else completely from our own blood we would have complete control of their form and everything about them. Would this be like Sauron and the rings? I don't know, and I suspect actually the answer is no, but I'm basically convinced if we were to make something out of our own body it would be exactly as we desire it to be. Remember we also "create blood quickly" and that's hell of a really weirdly specific thing that I think isn't merely just "oh you won't go into shock if a somewhat big vein gets chopped." If the blood contained a limited resource such as SPIRIT-spirit that we sorta have the theory we have a limited amount of, it would either be a very small amount, or... idk like we could decide the amount?

Also look at the weapons made from the first demons. Mega poo poo. Top tier ultra legends. Made from their substance. The weapons made from Leviathan were specifically made out of its blood, in part. The southern demons and monsters are all way totally into blood. The border and the monument explicitly says quit loving with blood or get ultra dead, at least in some ancient context we don't fully know, if not every context ever.

Probably we could make something out of ourselves. Would it be a good idea? Eeeeh I am not eager to try it just yet, personally. There's probably a right and wrong way to making stuff such as the laurels -- in the El approved sense, the "this is good and not bad" sense, and in the most efficient best workmanship sense.

IMO we just aren't old enough yet for me to vote for loving around with that. Especially cause Ish said when we are old man we're gonna be super pissed at ourselves for being so wasteful in our youth.

Blood has something in it and there's something to it, and it can be extremely powerful and extremely verboten and bad. And it may be related to the soil, there are multiple connections between the two. But i'm not really certain exactly how it works.

Blood, land, spirit, worship... all these things are somehow related to each other.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Wasn’t the Seirrow a weird bloodmetal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Or El is a pedantic dickhead. Could be anything.